Start by marking “Behind Hitler's Lines: The True Story of the Only Soldier to Fight for both America and the Soviet Union in World War II” as Want to Read:

As the twentieth century closed, the veterans of its defining war passed away at a rate of a thousand per day. Fortunately, D-Day paratrooper Joseph Beyrle met author Thomas H. Taylor in time to record Behind Hitler's Lines, the true story of the first American paratrooper to land in Normandy and the only soldier to fight for both the United States and the Soviet Union aga ...more
Published May 6th 2009 by Presidio Press (first published September 17th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Behind Hitler's Lines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind Hitler's Lines

Diane
A real page turner. Books like this are the reason I love nonfiction. Hollywood could never make up a better story than this.
By the book's jacket, you know how it will end. Joe Beyrle (pronounced "buy early" is captured shortly after D-day, eventually escapes and joins up with the Russians. Its all that happens in between that makes this book so interesting. With each page I kept thinking, "what more could happen to this man?"
There are times when the author strays from the main story and talks
Matthew
Mar 19, 2012 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book told the story of Joe Beyrle, the only person during the Second World War to have fought for both the United States and the Soviet Union. The information provided includes: his training for the 101st Airborne Division, his two secret drops into France months before D-day, his capture during D-Day, the horrors of his imprisonment and interrogations, his escape after transportation to a POW camp in Poland, his fighting with a Soviet reconnaissance unit. The book also provides information ...more
Amy M.
May 21, 2017 Amy M. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-100-books
Maybe I got a little too excited when I read the cover because this book didn't do much for me. Albeit historically educating and a great story, I did not enjoy the writing style. Not even a little bit.
Mike Wigal
Mar 10, 2017 Mike Wigal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a story!
Sharon
Feb 17, 2013 Sharon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-read
An interesting story destroyed by lack of editing, and horrible, massive typos. Early in I forgave the extraneous hyphens that were randomly placed in words, but several places in this book suffer from missing *sections* - yes, entire sections. A paragraph ends in the middle of a sentence and the next paragraph begins some place else in the story. It's tiresome to guess what happened.

It's better to google for the story of Joseph Beyrle and simply read about him on Wikipedia. I cannot recommend
Jay Chalmers
Sep 24, 2015 Jay Chalmers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredible story!

Overall I enjoyed this book, for anyone who missed WWII this book touches most of what happened in the war in Europe. Hard to reconcile Joe's belief that God chose him to save, but chose others to die.
Marcos Moure
Incredible story nearly marred by atrocious typos.

One of the most gripping WWII stories I've read and also one of the worst written. Nevertheless, Joe Beyrle's story is so gripping and intense, glaring errors and awful editing don't quite destroy the impact of this memoir.
Paul Roberts
Oct 15, 2016 Paul Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2016
If you want to see "first hand" what war is like. This is the closest you'll get. One soldier's journey from Normandy to Berlin, to Moscow. A truly amazing story and a good reminder of why we stand up and salute our flag.
Bonnie Moore
This is not the type of book that I usually read, but I found this to be very interesting. It is the true story of a paratrooper in WW II. It made me think about the sacrifices our fathers and grandfathers made to keep us free.
Bob Graham
Aug 14, 2016 Bob Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting story about one soldier's unusual experiences with capture and escape during WW II, as well as some history of the battle of the bulge.
Michael
Jun 19, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Proof that truth is stranger than fiction.
John Ravalli
Feb 26, 2014 John Ravalli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating story and strong guy

what a great story. Joe Beyerle is someone to be celebrated in the annals of World War II. Great writing
Sam
Oct 30, 2009 Sam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book deals with mostly Joe's period in captivity and is very scanty in terms of his combat experience .
Ioan Mosincat
Apr 23, 2013 Ioan Mosincat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story. An easy read, hard to believe it's not fiction.
Sally Ashmore
May 08, 2014 Sally Ashmore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
Great perspective, and a very unique story. Joe is a hero, not only because of what he did, but because of how he sees himself.
Keith Mason
Keith Mason rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2015
Illinispartan
Illinispartan rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2015
Bradley Marchant
Bradley Marchant rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
Welshofer
Welshofer rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Nisá
Nisá rated it it was ok
Mar 01, 2011
Benjamin Long
Benjamin Long rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2013
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2012
Broc
Broc rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2012
An Nguyen
An Nguyen rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Dennis
Dennis rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Roy P Douglass
Roy P Douglass rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Bill
Bill rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2012
Tim Bales
Tim Bales rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Shadows In The Jungle: The Alamo Scouts Behind Japanese Lines In World War II
  • You'll Be Sor-ree: A Guadalcanal Marine Remembers The Pacific War
  • Battleground Prussia: The Assault on Germany's Eastern Front 1944–45
  • The Eagle Unbowed: Poland and the Poles in the Second World War
  • D-Day with the Screaming Eagles
  • The Ghost Mountain Boys: Their Epic March and the Terrifying Battle for New Guinea--The Forgotten War of the South Pacific
  • Escape from the Deep: The Epic Story of a  Legendary Submarine and her Courageous Crew
  • September Hope: The American Side of a Bridge Too Far
  • Escape From Davao: The Forgotten Story of the Most Daring Prison Break of the Pacific War
  • War on the Run: The Epic Story of Robert Rogers and the Conquest of America's First Frontier
  • How Wars End: Why We Always Fight the Last Battle
  • The Twilight Warriors: The Deadliest Naval Battle of World War II and the Men Who Fought It
  • Seven Roads to Hell: A Screaming Eagle at Bastogne
  • No Surrender: A World War II Memoir
  • The Liberators: America's Witnesses to the Holocaust
  • The Coldest War: A Memoir of Korea
  • The Siege of Washington: The Untold Story of the Twelve Days That Shook the Union
  • Task Force Black
Thomas Happer Taylor (born 1934) is a highly decorated veteran of the United States Army, a military historian, an author of seven books, and a champion triathlete. He served in Vietnam following in the footsteps of his father General Maxwell D. Taylor.
More about Thomas Happer Taylor...

“PLFs forward, backward, and to both sides, with” 0 likes