Borne in Blood: A Novel of the Count Saint-Germain

Borne in Blood: A Novel of the Count Saint-Germain (Saint-Germain #20)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Borne in Blood is the landmark twentieth volume of the Saint-Germain cycle. Historically accurate, these deeply emotional novels have a devoted readership.

The year is 1817. In Switzerland, the Count has become intrigued by the work of an Austrian noble who is investigating the properties of blood, a subject always of key interest to a vampire. But when the noble’s beautifu...more
Published January 20th 2009 by Tor Books (first published December 1st 2007)

Jammies
Boy meets girl.

Boy gives girl best sex of her life.

Boy does not drink...wine.

Boy does drink girl's blood.

Subplot with horrible, sociopathic villain.

Boy is falsely accused of something.

More subplot with HSV.

Girl is attacked because of boy.

Big finish to subplot.

Boy rescues girl.

Bad Thing happens to HSV.

Girl doesn't want to be with boy anymore.

Boy is sad and alone.
Jamie
Oct 08, 2009 Jamie marked it as own-unread  ·  review of another edition
Found this on the cut-out table today so I went ahead and bought it, although I still have several unread in this series. They aren't really in any sort of order - they're all over the place in terms of historical period and geographical location - but I'm trying to read them mostly in publication order anyway.
Patty Collins
Count Saint Germaine continues his life as a vampire 4000 years old. He is living between France and Austria in 1817 after the Napolean has been defeated for the final time. He is accused of aiding robbers because he is a foreigner and goes out of his way to aid in their capture. Meanwhile, he aids a young widow whose father-in-law took her children to live with him because her husband did not leave a will. The widow, Hero, and St. Germain are attacked by a jealous young woman who had been abuse...more
Kristen Gurri
Apr 01, 2008 Kristen Gurri rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Vampires and Republicans
Recommended to Kristen by: Tracy Farooq
Shelves: vampire-lit
I like the vampire Ragoczy more than I liked the book itself. It was nice to have a subtle yet powerful (and socially responsible) vampire. I wish all republicans could be like Ragoczy - then society would benefit from their immortality.

Hero was kind of vapid and gratuitous. Unless she was mad or upset, she was Ragoczy's little Pete Repeat doll.

The letters at the beginning and ends of the chapters advanced the plot and helped keep all the strings straight but reading late at night with tired e...more
Cynthia
Feb 03, 2008 Cynthia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: everyone
I adore all of Yarbro's Saint Germain novels and have been reading them since the early 80's. Although considered to be horror by many bookstores due to the main character being a 4000 year old vampire but in actuality the novels are more historical than anything else. Some of my favorites are, Out of the House of Life, Tempting Fate, Blood Games, and The Palace to name just a few. There are over 16 novels to choose from most are out of print but all well worth the search.
Dawn
For a vampire book I thought this was very dull - minimal action until the last quarter of the book. I wasn't expecting horror and gore, but this was as unexciting as it gets. It was mostly written correspondence between people and some narrative of who traveled where. At the time I started this book, I didn't realize this was a part of a series. I like the premise of the book and I think I might read the first in the series to give it a fair shot.
Mo
This is really more of a historical novel than a horror novel. You barely even get the gist that he's a vampire. Unfortunately, I found Hero to be annoying and somewhat whiny and demanding. Definitely not a Hero. More like a puppet. Lots of attention to detail, especially to food. I was starving by the time I finished it. It was like watching the 19th century Food Network, with vampires as a strange afterthought/side plot.
Lorretta
I'm so mad that I wasted time reading this; if I start a book, I finish it. Bleh...

This book was so clunky and the addition of letter excerpts certainly did not help.

I had a very clear feeling of pomposity from the author; we should be honored that she has deigned to write for us peons.
Kay
This was yet another good read by chelsea quinn yarbro. I have been with this series since the start and am always amazed by the depth of her writing. Her research into historical people and times makes these book doubly worth reading.
Chris
The character of Hero is well done. She quickly becomes one of the Count's more memorable loves. In fact, it seems slightly more her book than his.
Drew
Borne in Blood: A Novel of the Count Saint-Germain (St. Germain) by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro (2008)
Wiley
Freelance Internet Marketing campaign.
Nancy Laney
St. Germain (1817) Book 21
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Nicola
Nicola marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Amy Azriel
Amy Azriel marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Ursula
Ursula marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Susan Pola
Susan Pola marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Becky
Becky added it
Jan 28, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Gianna
Gianna marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Tabitha
Tabitha marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Valorie
Valorie marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Chelsea Quinn Yarbro is one of only two women ever to be named Grand Master, at the World Horror Convention (2003). She was given the Living Legend Award from the International Horror Guild at World Fantasy Con in 2006 (first woman to receive it). In 2009, she received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Horror Writers Assn. at their convention in Burbank CA. She is the recipient of the Fine F...more
More about Chelsea Quinn Yarbro...
Hotel Transylvania (Saint-Germain, #1) Blood Games (Saint-Germain, #3) The Palace (Saint-Germain, #2) Path of the Eclipse (Saint-Germain, #4) A Flame in Byzantium (Atta Olivia Clemens series #1)