Start by marking “Borne in Blood (Saint-Germain, #20)” as Want to Read:
Borne in Blood (Saint-Germain, #20)

Borne in Blood (Saint-Germain #20)

Borne in Blood is the landmark twentieth volume of the Saint-Germain cycle. Historically accurate, these deeply emotional novels have a devoted readership.

The year is 1817. In Switzerland, the Count has become intrigued by the work of an Austrian noble who is investigating the properties of blood, a subject always of key interest to a vampire. But when the noble's beautifu
Published January 20th 2009 by Tor Books (first published December 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Borne in Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Borne in Blood

Jammies
Sep 26, 2010 Jammies rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
Boy meets girl.

Boy gives girl best sex of her life.

Boy does not drink...wine.

Boy does drink girl's blood.

Subplot with horrible, sociopathic villain.

Boy is falsely accused of something.

More subplot with HSV.

Girl is attacked because of boy.

Big finish to subplot.

Boy rescues girl.

Bad Thing happens to HSV.

Girl doesn't want to be with boy anymore.

Boy is sad and alone.
Jamie Collins
Apr 24, 2016 Jamie Collins marked it as own-unread-oneday  ·  review of another edition
Found this on the cut-out table today so I went ahead and bought it, although I still have several unread in this series. They aren't really in any sort of order - they're all over the place in terms of historical period and geographical location - but I'm trying to read them mostly in publication order anyway.
Kristen Gurri
Apr 01, 2008 Kristen Gurri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampires and Republicans
Recommended to Kristen by: Tracy Farooq
Shelves: vampire-lit
I like the vampire Ragoczy more than I liked the book itself. It was nice to have a subtle yet powerful (and socially responsible) vampire. I wish all republicans could be like Ragoczy - then society would benefit from their immortality.

Hero was kind of vapid and gratuitous. Unless she was mad or upset, she was Ragoczy's little Pete Repeat doll.

The letters at the beginning and ends of the chapters advanced the plot and helped keep all the strings straight but reading late at night with tired e
Patty Collins
Apr 13, 2008 Patty Collins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Count Saint Germaine continues his life as a vampire 4000 years old. He is living between France and Austria in 1817 after the Napolean has been defeated for the final time. He is accused of aiding robbers because he is a foreigner and goes out of his way to aid in their capture. Meanwhile, he aids a young widow whose father-in-law took her children to live with him because her husband did not leave a will. The widow, Hero, and St. Germain are attacked by a jealous young woman who had been abuse ...more
Dawn
Aug 11, 2012 Dawn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For a vampire book I thought this was very dull - minimal action until the last quarter of the book. I wasn't expecting horror and gore, but this was as unexciting as it gets. It was mostly written correspondence between people and some narrative of who traveled where. At the time I started this book, I didn't realize this was a part of a series. I like the premise of the book and I think I might read the first in the series to give it a fair shot.
Cynthia
Feb 03, 2008 Cynthia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I adore all of Yarbro's Saint Germain novels and have been reading them since the early 80's. Although considered to be horror by many bookstores due to the main character being a 4000 year old vampire but in actuality the novels are more historical than anything else. Some of my favorites are, Out of the House of Life, Tempting Fate, Blood Games, and The Palace to name just a few. There are over 16 novels to choose from most are out of print but all well worth the search.
Mo
This is really more of a historical novel than a horror novel. You barely even get the gist that he's a vampire. Unfortunately, I found Hero to be annoying and somewhat whiny and demanding. Definitely not a Hero. More like a puppet. Lots of attention to detail, especially to food. I was starving by the time I finished it. It was like watching the 19th century Food Network, with vampires as a strange afterthought/side plot.
Lorretta
May 03, 2012 Lorretta rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so mad that I wasted time reading this; if I start a book, I finish it. Bleh...

This book was so clunky and the addition of letter excerpts certainly did not help.

I had a very clear feeling of pomposity from the author; we should be honored that she has deigned to write for us peons.
Kay
This was yet another good read by chelsea quinn yarbro. I have been with this series since the start and am always amazed by the depth of her writing. Her research into historical people and times makes these book doubly worth reading.
Chris
The character of Hero is well done. She quickly becomes one of the Count's more memorable loves. In fact, it seems slightly more her book than his.
Barbara Mcleod
Barbara Mcleod rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2011
Lori Rumore
Lori Rumore rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2009
David Blizzard
David Blizzard rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2013
James
James rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2011
Wiley
May 26, 2016 Wiley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-promoted
Freelance Internet Marketing campaign.
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2015
Jane Keller
Jane Keller rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2014
Leigh Shaver
Leigh Shaver rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2008
Kari
Kari rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Ildanoch
Ildanoch rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2016
Gospelofjon
Gospelofjon rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Lesley
Lesley rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Mykhe
Mykhe rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2012
Anita
Anita rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2011
Linda Halvorson
Linda Halvorson rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Lynnsey Sitter
Lynnsey Sitter rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2013
Sue Watson
Sue Watson rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Shelly Benkert
Shelly Benkert rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Nicola
Nicola rated it it was ok
May 25, 2014
Ella Hitchcock
Ella Hitchcock rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Dance of Death (Jonathan Barrett, Gentleman Vampire, #4)
  • The Vampire Sextette
  • Daughter of the Night (Austra Family, #4)
  • The Holmes-Dracula File (Dracula Series, #2)
  • Darkness on his Bones (James Asher, #6)
  • The Hunger (Companion, #2)
  • Sips of Blood
  • The Scorpion & the Seducer (Khamsin: Warriors of the Wind, #6)
  • Fiend (Voice of Blood, #3)
A professional writer for more than forty years, Yarbro has sold over eighty books, more than seventy works of short fiction, and more than three dozen essays, introductions, and reviews. She also composes serious music. Her first professional writing - in 1961-1962 - was as a playwright for a now long-defunct children's theater company. By the mid-60s she had switched to writing stories and hasn' ...more
More about Chelsea Quinn Yarbro...

Saint-Germain (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Hôtel Transylvania (Saint-Germain, #1)
  • The Palace (Saint-Germain, #2)
  • Blood Games (Saint-Germain, #3)
  • Path of the Eclipse (Saint-Germain, #4)
  • Tempting Fate (Saint-Germain, #5)
  • The Saint-Germain Chronicles (Saint-Germain, #6)
  • Darker Jewels (Saint-Germain, #7)
  • Better in the Dark (Saint-Germain, #8)
  • Mansions of Darkness (Saint-Germain, #9)
  • Writ in Blood (Saint-Germain, #10)