Start by marking “The Chronicles of Froissart” as Want to Read:
The Chronicles of Froissart

The Chronicles of Froissart

Recording all major political events from 1322 to 1400, it is a fascinating and comprehensive account of Anglo-French relations. Written in Froissart's signature style, it revives the age of chivalry and presents a vibrant panorama of characters and events. Informative and absorbing
Published January 1st 2006 by ReadHowYouWant (first published 1400)

To ask other readers questions about The Chronicles of Froissart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chronicles of Froissart

Jan-Maat
After many years of looking at this on my bookshelves I finally cracked its spine and read it through.

The downside of this volume is that it is a selection from Froissart's chronicles rather than a complete narrative. So it is more of a chocolate box than a meal, and I suspected that the flitting from incident to incident left me less engaged than reading something which was shorter in scope but more continuous. On the other hand the variety of material is interesting, from the royal courts of F
Sara
Though known for its depiction of medieval warfare and the political context of the 100 Years War, Froissart's Chronicles offers a wealth of incidental period detail as well. As a Flemish fellow who spent lots of time in England and all over continental Europe in the 13th century, Froissart was in a good position to observe the manners of varying people in a number of courts, attitudes toward class and gender difference, toward religion and the complexity of medieval politics. He was an outsider ...more
Zeke
Nov 18, 2012 Zeke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, non-fiction
Good writer from the middle ages that covered the peasant rebellions, the treatment of women, war crimes, and other things. Like today's media, Froissart was paid by the ruling class of his time (the feudal aristocracy), so his writing reflects their viewpoint. But as long as you understand that there are many facts and insights to be read between the lines.
Mary
Feb 19, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a riot. It was history, but everything was very King Arthur, Knights of the Round table, romantic love and being noble and honorable. And there was that bit about the blind guy who went to battle and got killed of course. He was real noble, but he was also real dead.
Mike
Jul 27, 2016 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, classic, medieval
A classic insight to the habits, mores, politics and upper-class social patterns of a very specific period of Medieval European history. From my reading decades ago, I particularly remember the behavior of the very well-respected English princes know for their chivalry and nobility, and how extraordinarily harsh the sack of towns could be (extreme raping, pillaging, murdering).

While war is always/has always been extremely harsh, the attitudes of even well-respected and chivalrous nobles of peas
Cliff Davis
Jan 07, 2017 Cliff Davis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A very testosteroney sort of medieval book; lots of tough guys riding around beating each other up. Now and then a few details of greater interest. Definitely a snapshot of its time, when a guy like the Count de Foix, who scared away his own wife and killed his own son, could be held up as some kind of manly man.
Scilla
Aug 02, 2012 Scilla rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this is one of the very few books I couldn't finish. It is VERY boring. There are too many battles and names without much description to make it interesting. Part I, which I did finish is mostly about the King Edwards I - III and their battles with France and Scotland in the 14th century. I thought it was going to be a history of Burgundy, but that was an extremely small part.
Ned
Mar 28, 2008 Ned rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: looking at psychology before psychology could see
Shelves: background
yep, real great!
the translation is fine here. The story of the guy with the supernatural shape-changing servant that could travel hundreds of miles overnight . . . one of many odd stories from an age when honor and duty and chivalry and fealty and obedience before God were everything, still.
Sanctioned.
Liz
Jul 22, 2007 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A primary source chronicle from the Hundred Years' War, all written by this one dead French guy. I had to read it for my medieval history class, and I found it really interesting. The writing style- or at least this translation- is completely coherent and easy to follow, unlike some centuries-old documents, and some of the stories are fascinating.
Kari
Sep 14, 2011 Kari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read just the excerpts in the Harvard Classics. My sisters even liked Tyler's Rebellion. And to think the same sort of thing was happening a month ago.

I found in the story of the rebellion a "sir Stephen of Hales." I should find out if he's a relative.
Hildegart
Apr 29, 2012 Hildegart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, classics
One must remember that this book was written for aristocrats to read way back in the day. chivalry was a big deal back then, but it was on the decline due to changes in warfare. it's a fun book to read.
Lisa
Nov 21, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a weird affinity for tales from the Middle Ages. I loved the Arthurian legend when I was kid and I enjoyed this book, especially towards the end. It is interesting to see world through an author of the time but I suspect this isn't for everyone, maybe not even very many people.
Peter J.
Nov 12, 2014 Peter J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very eye opening book that provided a firsthand glimpse at the life of a soldier. It was shocking how much cruelty was just mentioned in an offhand manner, for example, "King Edward then burned the city and killed it's people."
Ellis L.
Jan 31, 2012 Ellis L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lot of fun for me to read. The Chronicles are mostly about the Hundred Years War but he does take on the Scottish wars as well. Excellent primary source, though this translation is horribly old and flawed. But it was free.
William
Dec 10, 2010 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Post-medieval chronicler of France and its struggle with England during the first half of the Hundred Years War. If not a first-hand observer, Froisasart knew how to travel and gather other eyewitness accounts to record history.
Amanda Preston
I had to read this book for my Black Death class. It is a really interesting look into the hundred years war from a first hand perspective. A LOT of violence and useless warring but still very interesting.
Gavin
Nov 24, 2008 Gavin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
These chronicles mostly relate to the Hundred Years War and are very interesting indeed. Froissart has a matter-of-fact style and describes the events quite impartially considering he was a Frenchman and supposedly the enemy of the English.
Ashley Mayer
Froissart's Chronicles is a great account of life in 14th century Europe. He details warfare, court life, peasant uprisings, and the church crisis. This translation is easy-to-read, and is great for anyone with interest in the middle ages.
Mary Webber
Read parts of this for a medieval history class.
Brad
May 12, 2009 Brad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
I read parts of this book for my Europe in the Late Middle Ages class. I found it enjoyable for the most part.
Frieda
Oct 23, 2010 Frieda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is great book. I read this once before for a class; this time around I’m going to take my time.
Cathleen Ross
Nov 26, 2013 Cathleen Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the primary source. It was great to have the historical corrections by the author.
Ilya
Ilya rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
PrInCeSs ShiFa
PrInCeSs ShiFa rated it did not like it
Nov 03, 2014
Maria Rt
Maria Rt rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Carol Kusnierek
Carol Kusnierek rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2014
Kathryn Bedford
Kathryn Bedford rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2012
M
M rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2014
Paul Cohen
Paul Cohen rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2011
  • Ecclesiastical History of the English People
  • Polyeucte
  • Henry II
232035
Jean Froissart was one of the most important of the chroniclers of medieval France. For centuries, Froissart's Chronicles have been recognized as the chief expression of the chivalric revival of the 14th century Kingdom of England and France. His history is also one of the most important sources for the first half of the Hundred Years' War.
More about Jean Froissart...