Start by marking “The Chronicles of Froissart” as Want to Read:
The Chronicles of Froissart

The Chronicles of Froissart

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Recording all major political events from 1322 to 1400, it is a fascinating and comprehensive account of Anglo-French relations. Written in Froissart's signature style, it revives the age of chivalry and presents a vibrant panorama of characters and events. Informative and absorbing
Published January 1st 2006 by ReadHowYouWant (first published 1400)

To ask other readers questions about The Chronicles of Froissart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chronicles of Froissart

Jan-Maat
After many years of looking at this on my bookshelves I finally cracked the spine and read it through.

The downside of this volume is that it is a selection from Froissart's chronicles rather than a complete narrative, it is more of a chocolate box than a meal and I suspected that the flitting from incident to incident left me less engaged than reading something which was shorter in scope but more continuous. On the other hand the variety of material is interesting, from the royal courts of Franc
Sara
Though known for its depiction of medieval warfare and the political context of the 100 Years War, Froissart's Chronicles offers a wealth of incidental period detail as well. As a Flemish fellow who spent lots of time in England and all over continental Europe in the 13th century, Froissart was in a good position to observe the manners of varying people in a number of courts, attitudes toward class and gender difference, toward religion and the complexity of medieval politics. He was an outsider ...more
Zeke
Good writer from the middle ages that covered the peasant rebellions, the treatment of women, war crimes, and other things. Like today's media, Froissart was paid by the ruling class of his time (the feudal aristocracy), so his writing reflects their viewpoint. But as long as you understand that there are many facts and insights to be read between the lines.
Mary
This book was a riot. It was history, but everything was very King Arthur, Knights of the Round table, romantic love and being noble and honorable. And there was that bit about the blind guy who went to battle and got killed of course. He was real noble, but he was also real dead.
Peter J.
This was a very eye opening book that provided a firsthand glimpse at the life of a soldier. It was shocking how much cruelty was just mentioned in an offhand manner, for example, "King Edward then burned the city and killed it's people."
Mary Webber
Read parts of this for a medieval history class.
Scilla
Well, this is one of the very few books I couldn't finish. It is VERY boring. There are too many battles and names without much description to make it interesting. Part I, which I did finish is mostly about the King Edwards I - III and their battles with France and Scotland in the 14th century. I thought it was going to be a history of Burgundy, but that was an extremely small part.
Liz
A primary source chronicle from the Hundred Years' War, all written by this one dead French guy. I had to read it for my medieval history class, and I found it really interesting. The writing style- or at least this translation- is completely coherent and easy to follow, unlike some centuries-old documents, and some of the stories are fascinating.
Ned
Mar 28, 2008 Ned rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: looking at psychology before psychology could see
Shelves: background
yep, real great!
the translation is fine here. The story of the guy with the supernatural shape-changing servant that could travel hundreds of miles overnight . . . one of many odd stories from an age when honor and duty and chivalry and fealty and obedience before God were everything, still.
Sanctioned.
Lisa
I have a weird affinity for tales from the Middle Ages. I loved the Arthurian legend when I was kid and I enjoyed this book, especially towards the end. It is interesting to see world through an author of the time but I suspect this isn't for everyone, maybe not even very many people.
Kari
I read just the excerpts in the Harvard Classics. My sisters even liked Tyler's Rebellion. And to think the same sort of thing was happening a month ago.

I found in the story of the rebellion a "sir Stephen of Hales." I should find out if he's a relative.
Gavin
These chronicles mostly relate to the Hundred Years War and are very interesting indeed. Froissart has a matter-of-fact style and describes the events quite impartially considering he was a Frenchman and supposedly the enemy of the English.
Ashley Mayer
Froissart's Chronicles is a great account of life in 14th century Europe. He details warfare, court life, peasant uprisings, and the church crisis. This translation is easy-to-read, and is great for anyone with interest in the middle ages.
Ellis L.
This was a lot of fun for me to read. The Chronicles are mostly about the Hundred Years War but he does take on the Scottish wars as well. Excellent primary source, though this translation is horribly old and flawed. But it was free.
William
Post-medieval chronicler of France and its struggle with England during the first half of the Hundred Years War. If not a first-hand observer, Froisasart knew how to travel and gather other eyewitness accounts to record history.
Amanda Preston
I had to read this book for my Black Death class. It is a really interesting look into the hundred years war from a first hand perspective. A LOT of violence and useless warring but still very interesting.
Jill
One must remember that this book was written for aristocrats to read way back in the day. chivalry was a big deal back then, but it was on the decline due to changes in warfare. it's a fun book to read.
Brad
I read parts of this book for my Europe in the Late Middle Ages class. I found it enjoyable for the most part.
Frieda
This is great book. I read this once before for a class; this time around I’m going to take my time.
Cathleen Ross
Really enjoyed the primary source. It was great to have the historical corrections by the author.
Paul
J. M. Dent & Co. 1906
Rina
Rina marked it as to-read
Tom Webster
Tom Webster marked it as to-read
Debbie Lester
Debbie Lester marked it as to-read
Amy
Amy added it
Dec 23, 2014
Janez Hočevar
Janez Hočevar marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Kinga
Kinga marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
  • The Secret History
  • The Romance of the Rose
  • The History of the Kings of Britain
232035
Jean Froissart was one of the most important of the chroniclers of medieval France. For centuries, Froissart's Chronicles have been recognized as the chief expression of the chivalric revival of the 14th century Kingdom of England and France. His history is also one of the most important sources for the first half of the Hundred Years' War.
More about Jean Froissart...
Le Joli Buisson De Jeunesse The Boy's Froissart Les Chroniques de Sire Jean Froissart, Qui Traitent Des Merveilleuses Emprises, Nobles Aventures Et Faits D'Armes Advenus En Son Temps En France, Angleterre, Bretaigne, Bourgogne, Escosse, Espaigne, Portingal Et S Autres Parties, 2 Oeuvres de Froissart: Publies Avec Les Variantes Des Divers Manuscrits Conflict And Chivalry In The 14th Century: Extracts From Froissart