Start by marking “Betrayal (The Descendants, #1)” as Want to Read:
Betrayal (The Descendants, #1)

Betrayal (The Descendants #1)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  2,389 ratings  ·  307 reviews
Where there is love and power, there is always... betrayal.

At seventeen, Cordelia is an ordinary teen with an extraordinary and frightening secret. A secret that induces vivid dreams which she not only experiences true love, but crippling fear while barely escaping with her life each night.

After a life altering event, Cordelia has an unexpected encounter with Evan, the mys...more
Published March 28th 2011 by Mayandree Michel (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betrayal

Entwined by Heather DixonWither by Lauren DeStefanoUnearthly by Cynthia HandAcross the Universe by Beth RevisDarkest Mercy by Melissa Marr
Beautiful Book Covers of 2011
31st out of 638 books — 4,247 voters
Wither by Lauren DeStefanoEntwined by Heather DixonSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDie for Me by Amy PlumAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Best Book Covers 2011
15th out of 719 books — 3,079 voters

More lists with this book...

Vinaya
Okay, I tried. I really, really did, but when Evan's liquid blue eyes practically leapt out at me, I couldn't take it any more.

Seriously, there are awful books, and awful self-pubbed books, and then there is Betrayal. It's truly in a league of its own. This is a book that should never have seen the light of day, let alone been given rave review after rave review. Think I'm being unnecessarily harsh? Why don't you try this on for size -

Something dashed right through me. Right through me! The va...more
Harley
Well, Cookie Monster said it better that I ever could:
rude-cookie-monster
There was awful spelling, overused similes, dragged-out descriptions, and pretty much non-existant plot. I was caught between laughing and launching the thing at the wall. I chose to laugh, because I read it on my laptop, and these things are expensive.
But honestly. What the crap.

'The periwinkle empire mini dress was made of delicate cotton, and was perfect for this profusely obscene weather.'

Profusely obscene...wait, what? I think that's jus...more
Jean
Gods, Goddesses, shifters, vampires.. Betrayal had it all. Forbidden love, scandal, secrets. Michel paints both beautiful and grotesque imagery in the first installment of her freshman series The Descendants. The beginning drags a bit, not gonna lie, but some disturbing, and life changing events grab you by the shoulders and you realize what a gem you’re holding in your hands. There’s a wealth if information in this book, and nothing is lacking. From character building to world building, there w...more
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

I struggled mightily with this book. I liked the idea for the story (descendants of the Olympian Gods have a hidden, secret Empire in present day and also vampires, werewolves, etc). However, it was a good idea poorly executed in many parts of this looong book.

Coming in at 662 pages, this is far from the longest book I've read this year. However, I feel like I was counting every single one of those six hundred odd pages; it literally sapped my stre...more
Adrienne
I got to read this amazing novel pre-launch and as soon as it debuts I'm running out to get a copy!
M.Michel is a new author who has written a compelling story of love, deception, magic, greek myth, historical fantasy, and time travel - what a winning combination!.
I couldn't stop reading until I finshed, and then wanted more.
The protagonist, Cordelia, wasn't the average teenage girl you read about these days (weak and dependent on some guy she met yesterday - ugh!).
Cordelia was very likable be...more
HєllyBєlly
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Jules
Betrayal, the debut novel by author Mayandree Michel, doesn’t read like a debut at all. This book has all of the necessary elements for a really great paranormal romance. It’s engaging, with a fantastic storyline and outstanding characters.Mayandree’s capability to create engrossing three-dimensional characters is spectacular. In my opinion, the characters drove the story as well as the plot. Evey single character was essential to the story and not a prop. With each introduction of every charact...more
Mistyreign
I almost didn't spend the measly 99 cents for this book after reading a couple of 1 star and 2 star reviews. I do realize that everyone is entitled to their opinion so I decided to form my own. I succumbed to the gorgeous cover and finally bought the ebook for my Kindle.

I'm THRILLED that I did! Luckily for me, I didn't let those 1 & 2 star reviews deter me.

I didn’t think it was slow as others are describing. The story grabs you from the beginning with the detail. The author lays out the fo...more
Shelby
"This was the worst book I've ever read." When people say that, they're usually exaggerating. But in this case, when I say, "This was the worst book I ever tried to finish but couldn't," I'm telling the complete, 100% truth. Betrayal sits in this rare bookshelf on my Goodreads account for all 8--now 9--books that I couldn't finish. To Mayandree Michel, the self-published author of this...thing, please go take an English class. Please.

I'm not saying my own writing is perfect. But I acknowledge m...more
Debrah
Every once in a while you come across a book that is as brilliant as it is breathtaking. Betrayal is the one!!

I loved, loved, loved this book. I would shout it from the mountain tops if I could. At first I was thinking – what a gorgeous cover but 600 pages - yeah this will drag but a few chapters in and I was hooked! Just when I'm thinking OMG this book is amazing and it can't get any better than this - it got better and better! I couldn't put it down. I was reading it every free moment I had....more
Phaedra
I loved so many things about this book that I don't know where to begin.I was drawn to the beautiful cover and after reading the description I knew that I had to read this book.

It's one of those books that you know you'll read more than once just to re-live the imagery and beauty of the story. You feel like your actually watching the story. The author wove the Victorian era with Greek gods and goddesses, vampires, ghosts, werewolves and made it all work so well. It grabs you from the very begin...more
Cari
Warning: some spoilers

This book was mild entertainment for a dollar on my Nook color. However, it had some major flaws:

1. There were so many spelling errors that I wondered if it had been run through an editor at all. It really took away from the professionalism of the story. I don't know if it was just through the transition to the Nook - if this is the case, then disregard. The sentence structure was plain and could've been a lot better - see my below comment also.

2. There were some really, re...more
Heather
What first drew me to Betrayal was the cover. I mean look at it, it is absolutely gorgeous! Then the second that I read the synopsis I was instantly intrigued and just had to read it. I must say I wasn't disappointed at all and Michel did a wonderful job!

Betrayal started out with Cordelia living in Nickel City and wanted nothing more than to save up her money and leave this city in the dust on graduation day. Then strange things started to happen and the book took a turn into the wonderful para...more
Jordana
I downloaded Betrayal right after I read the intriguing description. I finished reading it today and just ordered the paperback from amazon because this book is a rarity and must be displayed on my shelf. I just wished it was signed by the incredibly talented author. I'm currently stalking every UPS truck that goes by my house until I get my hands on my copy of Betrayal that is now my all time favorite book. I've noticed the variance in ratings and wondered why some readers thought it deserved j...more
Amy
May 07, 2012 Amy rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one who doesn't wanna attempt suicide
That's it I am done I'm giving up on this freaking book. How the hell can you even call this a book? This is an epitome of junk, worthless. I mean who the hell rates these books. Self publishing a book gives you no right to write outrageous stuff like this. I read about 6 chapters of a book and consider that a accomplishment, its that damn bad. The only good thing here is that it was a free ebook I didn't pay anything for it, but you know what that is a bad thing a book such as this should never...more
Laura YA indie princess
First off I would like to say thank you to Mayandree for letting me have the chance to read an ARC of Betrayal before it's release date.

When I first read the plot summary I was like I need this book NOW. I have to say god,goddess and myths are becoming my favourite book subject to read about and Betrayal didn't let me down although I found that it didn't hit the right pace until 100 pages in but then it was like a run away train and I just could stop reading It just was amazing. I loved all the...more
Natalie
The Age of Innocence meets Percy Jackson.
This book is a great start to a brilliant new series. I plan to devour every book in this one.
I loved the YA voice and the way the author kept the teens as teenagers, allowing the phenomenal cast of characters to evolve.
I'm quite impressed with the Mayandree Michel for doing the research and incorporating a mixture of well-known Greek Myth, while creating an exciting new world that sucks you in.
Read this book and be prepared to be blown away.
Bella
I have to say I have not yet read a book with lots of mythological stuff in it but after reading this I have to say I LOVE IT! This book had me at the start I just wanted to see more and more what was going to happen. I keep turing the pages waiting for more!! Its a amazing story and just flowed so well. this is for sure a must read!!;))
Connie Garcia
My niece went thru a lets download a buch of ebooks the kindle faze. Therefore when I seen this cover I like it and once I started reading it I could not put it down. The story is a about a seemingly normal 15 year old Cordelia Tethersom living in Nickel City Neveda living in a small town where everyone knows everyone she is like every other teenager wanting to get out of small town and see the world. Cordelia is so she thinks is struck down by lighting one rainy night thinking it was a freak ac...more
Candice
I asked the author a chance to read this book and was lucky for the chance to read this AMAZING book pre-release. Thank you, thank you,thank you Mayandree! I loved this book from beginning to end.
There are points in the book with reflection and it gives you a really good view of the depth of Cordelia and her struggles. She was definately my fav character. Every character was important and well developed. I really enjoyed their interactions with each other in this greek myth inspired story - so d...more
Valerie Lapanio
The best way to describe this book is pure excellence. It was a page turner that I struggled to put down. I literally lost an entire night of sleep! It was action packed, romantic, and kept me guessing all the way to the end. The story line was unique and unlike any other book in the ya paranormal romance genre. Much better than the two most awaited books out this year that are also based on Greek Mythology . Betrayal is #1 and is simply A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! Everyone should read it!
Toni-anne
FINALLY something different! This is the one if you are as sick as I am (cookies tossed) of all the Twilight copy-cat YA books that have been saturating the book stores since it came out.
Nakesha Brown
Overview: I must say I loved this book! Mayandree has an incredibly intricate and detailed writing style. She created world so vivid while reading I almost felt apart of it. In the Capius mansion, the Nevada Sierra, the desolate Tieron Mansion, the amazingly beautiful garden, no aspects was left blank. The clothing of the late 1880's era was described in great detail as well. I would have loved to attend the Masquerade Ball if just to see the costumes. The introduction of the Greek mythological...more
Amber
This series chronicles the life of a 17 year old girl named Cordelia who seems to be a normal, average girl with a crappy job who just wants to get out of the small ghost town she lives in. She's so focused on graduation and college that she misses the signs around her that have been a warning sign for turbulent times ahead. When she begins have realistic dreams with a real hottie at night she begins to think she's going crazy...but sometimes what you might think is crazy becomes your reality.

I...more
Bookwarrior
Kimberly
All I can say is WOW WOW WOW! I don't usually read books with historical themes but this book has changed that. The writing is beautifully done with imagery that you could easily imagine.

Every new development was exciting and drew me in deeper. Betrayal had a unique and incredible mixture of all the paranormal creatures popular now with a Greek mythology theme that was refreshing.

It was fast paced, well plotted with fully developed characters and had an engaging voice of the main protagonist....more
Jewelled Trellis
I loved the idea behind this book. I've always had a soft spot for books that play off of Greek myths. This story was no disappointment. Aside from some grammatical errors (bear instead of bare, to instead of too) it was a great read with interesting twists and turns. The characters were different and well developed and the cover art is perfect for the story. This series has promise and I look forward to reading more from Mayandree Michel.
Charly
This is a great book, expecially if you like Greek mythology. My only problem with the book is that it seemed to drag on and on due to the descriptions of every little thing. I just felt like some of the information was not neceassary. However, it was well worth the wait to get to the end. Great wrap up! Looking forward to the next book.
Krissykissme
I made the time to read Betrayal because a friend said it's a lengthy one but well worth it. She was sooo right! It's one of the best books I've ever read and I consider myself to be an avid reader. I love a good book and the longer the better. I can't believe that this book is the first from Ms. Michel. It is sooo damn good!
  • Every Last Kiss (The Bloodstone Saga, #1)
  • Asphodel (The Underworld Trilogy, #1)
  • Lure (Siren's Call, #1)
  • Airborne (Airborne Saga, #1)
  • Destined (Destined, #1)
  • Exiled (Immortal Essence, #1)
  • Remembrance (Transcend Time, #1)
  • Intrigue (Night Muse #1)
  • The Childe (The Childe, #1)
  • Silver Smoke (Seven Halos, #1)
  • PineLight (PineLight, #1)
  • Gifts of the Blood (Angel's Edge, #1)
  • Winter's Shadow (Winter Saga, #1)
  • The Vespertine (The Vespertine, #1)
  • The Mephisto Covenant: The Redemption of Ajax (The Mephisto Covenant, #1)
  • Camille (Camille, #1)
  • Airel (The Airel Saga, #1)
  • Luminous
Mayandree writes young adult paranormal romance and historical fantasy. When she's not writing, she's playing with her kids, reading or sketching. Her first novel, Betrayal (The Descendants, #1) & 2nd, Sacrifice (The Descendants,#2) are available now. The third novel in the series, Mercy, will release in September 2014.

Websites:

More about Mayandree Michel...
Sacrifice (The Descendants, # 2) Mercy (The Descendants #3)

“I didn't come here to fight with you. I’m here to fight for you.” 46 likes
“If I had a nickel for every time I'd wished I possessed the power to alter another person's mind, I'd be knee deep in nickels.” 10 likes