Start by marking “A Heaven of Others” as Want to Read:
A Heaven of Others

A Heaven of Others

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  49 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
"Joshua Cohen has created a visionary novel that is terrifying and heartbreaking and humbling in its luminous brilliance. In my view, it firmly places the author on the same level as Kafka."—Michael Disend, author of Stomping the Goyim

"The idea that there are multiple heavens, right ones and wrong ones, white ones and black ones, is pushed to its fantastical limits by Broo
Published May 17th 2011 by Starcherone Books (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Heaven of Others, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Heaven of Others

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
A brief pause for a change of tone twix Argall and The Wake ;; short and sharp with no intent to skirt Witz -- but one can say, I've read Cohen's first(?)book, type'd=up as a twenty-three-year-old. Want to buy an opinion? It's good, it's short ; pay no money for it if you need not :: monster name dropping would develop D. Barthelme and J. McElroy whose endorsement is like that of Pynchon's or Joyce's.
George
Dec 16, 2015 George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
What is Heaven like? What is Muslim Heaven like for a Jew? I think this is what Joshua Cohen is ultimately unraveling in his first novel. This was a very bizarre read, and it has some trippy picture for you folks he like pictures in books. I thought Cohen did a superb job in looking at Heave through the eyes of 10 year old boy, if you can really look at heaven. I could be wrong, but I gathered that Heaven is all together for everyone.

"Through time, through dimensions and their lands, a heaven's
Downward
Mar 19, 2013 Downward rated it liked it
joshua cohens a heaven of others is a short, poetic book the language of which seems to mimic the circumlocutive sentence structure and aesthetics of a religious text, which aesthetically matches the content of the story. it feels like a remarkably innovative novel: a young jewish boy dies at the hand of a muslim suicide bomber, a child his own age. because the young suicide bomber wraps his arms around the protagonist in a deathly and explosive hug, he drags him to the wrong heaven. the idea he ...more
David
Sep 17, 2011 David rated it it was amazing
As much as I liked "Witz," I liked this book much better. I could just see and appreciate Cohen's language play and word play, sliping between thoughts and memory and so on, so much better than in "Witz." Both have some amazing writing, but I could grasp at it better here. That may be a failing on my part and I definitely respect "Witz," but I have to say which one I got into more. This one seems to have a certain charm that I think "Witz" lacked as well. Perhaps "Witz" took on a burden, trying ...more
Joe Milazzo
Much more of an experiment in language than in thought (assuming there is any real difference between the two), what A HEAVEN OF OTHERS lacks in conceptual rigor it makes up for with associative ingenuity. As an eternal and preternaturally wise child, Cohen's narrator comes off as "believable"... better, compelling. Nevertheless, this feels like a etude or warm-up for something much more grandiose.
Don
May 27, 2010 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read 3/4 of this book straight through. It is disturbing and magical, and the illustrations work well with the text.

This book is about a ten year old Jewish boy from Jerusalem who is killed by a suicide bomber. After dying, he finds himself in Muslim heaven, where he has to navigate being in the wrong place, what to do with the virgins given to him, and so on.

I cannot wait to read Witz!
Tobias
Nov 22, 2009 Tobias rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2009
Exhausting & demanding, but extremely powerful -- not just in the ways you might expect, but also in its evocation of the small details of daily life & family history.
Kelly
Mar 04, 2008 Kelly marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I haven't found a copy of this yet but have read good reviews. I'm looking forward to it.
Lennon Bruse
Oct 21, 2010 Lennon Bruse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best place to start.
Jul 31, 2012 Sarah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait to read this.
Allison Smith
Allison Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Eagan
Eagan marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Mathilde Platypus
Mathilde Platypus rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Nat
Nat marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Annie Garvey
Annie Garvey marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
suz
suz marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Nick Jirsa
Nick Jirsa marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Philip
Philip rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2015
Yiğit Turhan
Yiğit Turhan marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Finbar Macdonald
Finbar Macdonald rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Ming
Ming marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
France
France marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Perry
Perry marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Valdimar
Valdimar marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Joshua Aaron Cohen (born September 6, 1980 in New Jersey) is an American novelist and writer of stories.
More about Joshua Cohen...