Start by marking “Hungry Girl 300 Under 300: 300 Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Dishes Under 300 Calories” as Want to Read:

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  479 ratings  ·  40 reviews
It’s MEAL-MANIA, HG STYLE! This book features THREE HUNDRED satisfying and delicious recipes for full-on meals. Breakfast, lunch & dinner dishes, plus snazzy starters and sides, that contain less than 300 calories each! In addition to CROCK-POT recipes, FOIL PACKS, and other HG favorites, this book serves up more than SEVENTY-FIVE soon-to-be-famous HG TRIOS: three-ingr ...more
Published March 29th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published March 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hungry Girl 300 Under 300, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hungry Girl 300 Under 300

Elizabeth
Hungry girl offers great inspiration, but the use of too many artificial sweeteners and processed foods keep me from making her recipes. Healthy means less chemicals.

I'm a pretty good cook and I don't follow recipes well. I cook more by feel. I like the inspiration, but I would definitely borrow this book from the library (as I did) as opposed to purchasing it. That said, if you're an inexperienced cook, this just might work well for you.
Jennifer Oven
I was really excited about this cookbook because I've been trying to lose a significant amount of weight over the last year or so.

Unfortunately, my issue with a lot of HG's recipes is that they involved some very chemical-like food. Not a lot of whole foods are used in the book. The recipes are nice though as they're meant to serve 1-2 people, so for just my husband and I the portioning was perfect. There are many other places to get great, healthy recipes and cooking tips, I think my $30 could
Linda Weisholtz
Mar 29, 2011 Linda Weisholtz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dieters
Another great cookbook from Lisa Lillien.
Caity
I bought this book several years ago when I was in love with the 200 under 200 version of this book, I stopped using both of them for quite awhile and looking at them now I'm not as impressed. That said I think this is the better of the two cookbooks it has some more creative recipes and seems to rely a little less on the super processed products. It is still probably not something I'd purchase today but I will use some of the recipes since I already have it.
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
Hungry Girl, was created by Lisa Lillien because, as she states in her book, “I’m just hungry”. This calorie counting cookbook certainly doesn’t fall into the category of having dull and boring diet recipes. Every one of the plain and simple recipes featured in this book are “guilt free”. Breakfast Scramble Pizza, Chicken Pot Pockets, Cheeseburger Mac Attack, and Red, White and Blue Nachos are just some of the recipes. Each one has nutritional information, ingredient substitutions and clear dire ...more
Scarlett Sims
This was my first encounter with the Hungry Girl. I picked up the cookbook because I wanted ideas for healthy cooking after the tornado. The pros are that the stuff is really easy to make, and filling. To keep the portion sizes filling, a lot of substitutions are used. This could be a good or bad thing, depending on whether you like the ingredients she's using. I do, and I found out about a lot of awesome low-calorie items, like tofu shirataki and laughing cow creamy swiss wedges, with which you ...more
Charla Wilson
This is the second cookbook that I have read by Lisa Lillien. I loved the first and was not disappointed with this one either. She offers several recipes for breakfast bowls that are under three hundred calories, but taste wonderful. I tend to wake up hungry and want something quick and these fit the bill. She also offers several crock pot recipes. I love these because you just throw it in the pot in the morning and by dinner time, it is ready. I have cooked her barbecue pulled pork and even my ...more
Lisa
This book has 300 recipes. Many are not things I would want to eat, but with so many I found plenty of great 330 calorie or less meals. This will work great to promote healthier eating and watch calories too.
Tapley
These are recipes I want to try from this book:
salad version of In&Out Burger
Mexican shrimp and corn salad
Asian bbq shrimp salad
cheesesteak salad
Nacho salad
Cajun fish, bean, and veggie foil pack
fish tacos
BBQ chicken quesadilla
faux fried calamari
crock pot chicken and sausage gumbo
Ginnie Grant
There were a few worthwhile gems in this one, and the swaps and tips hungry girl fans rely on but it wasn't my favorite of her books.
Joan
Every single recipe uses "liquid egg substitute", whatever that is - I want recipes with REAL food!

Ky
Another good cookbook by Ms. Lillien. Again, like the other books, I'd recommend using this if you're cooking for 1 or 2, maybe 3 at the most. I would say this cookbook is targeted mostly towards college age and single gals, but there are certainly some recipes in here that my hubby enjoys as well. I gave this a slightly lower score than some of her other cookbooks because some of the recipes seem overly simplified in order to bulk up the book. I could have thought of some of the three ingredien ...more
Megan Anderson
There are definitely some recipes I'm going to try from this (I'm looking at you, every single egg-mug and smoothie in the bunch), but so many of the recipes seem to require a tablespoon of various ingredients, it makes me wonder how long any of it can keep. I get really sick of the same food over and over, and I don't want food to go bad if I can help it.

However, seeing the numbers on each different recipe is incredibly helpful. I like that it lists protein, carbs, and sodium along side the tr
Karen Leonard
It was okay, just not what I was looking in information.
Amy Adams
I enjoyed this quirky little cookbook. The meals are super easy to prepare, and each serving is under 300 calories. I like that it's organized by meal time, and within that, they're grouped by category. To me, a lot of the recipes could've been omitted and just put as variations on other recipes (e.g., some of the egg mugs or scrambles), but overall, this is a great, quick and easy cookbook!
Leslie
There are several recipes that I hope to try from this. In normal Hungry Girl style, there are a lot of recipes using Fiber One and artificial sweeteners that I won't try. However, all-in-all I think there were some good new suggestions for things that I can modify and keep low in fat without using all fat-free products, artificial sweeteners, or Fiber One.
Monique
Interesting cookbook but not my cup of tea. Large number of recipes have laughing cow cheese, sugar substitute (which I hate) and soy milk. The trios (recipes with only 3 ingredients sparked my interests but my family won't be into them. These would be great options for folks with less demanding taste buds. Hungry Girl got a good game going on.
M
Overall, the foods in this book are not my style. I don't do pasta dishes, for example. However, the Major Mocha Cappuccino Oatmeal is something I must try. Also, most of her recipes call for odd amounts of things like 1 Tbsp of sour cream. I would just end up throwing the rest away. I supposed it's all your preference on this book.
Kristi
This is one of my favorite cook books. Great recipes and quick and easy. Cheesy chicken enchiladas was a big hit with my family. I also love the breakfast in a mug recipes there are tons of them. They are quick 2 miute recipes to that kids can even cook. Who would have thought of egg omllets in a mug?
Cate P
I am in love with this cookbook. It is the best Hungry Girl cookbook so far. I haven't had a bad recipe yet from this book and I've tried about 30 so far.

Favorite recipes:
~Sweet Apple & Onion stirfry with chicken
~ Hawaiian Tuna Salad
~ Chicken apple sandwiches
Julie
I really really like Hungry Girl. She has tons of yummy low-cal food ideas. I especially like her breakfast ideas (egg mugs in the microwave and oatmeal stuff). If I didn't have kids and was more serious about losing weight I would probably live by her stuff.
Cally Mitchell
Awesome cookbook for those who are either watching their weight, or trying to shed pounds. I've made many of these recipes and it doesn't taste like diet food. Even the hubby loves when I cook out of this book! Absolutely wonderful!!
Crystal
I was a bit underwhelmed with this book. I was hoping to find some great recipes, but I didn't get more than 1 or 2 that looked okay. There were lots of recipes that were almost "too simple" and juvenile. Not one I recommend.
Rachel Bishop
I just finished going through this cookbook and bookmarked a bunch of recipes. Can't wait to try them! They all look simple, fast, and healthy. Planning on making an egg mug this morning for breakfast!
Angi614c
I'm still going thru alllllllll the great recipes in this boos so many its kinda overwhelming but i luv all hg books cant wait for her app 2 come out and i REALLY HOPE HER OWN FOOD LINE SOON!!!!!
Danielle M
Absolutely LOOOOOOOVE this cookbook. Losing weight is difficult enough. It's nice to have healthy alternatives to some of my favorite foods. I highly recommend checking out this book.
Beate
Not too functional in my household. Too many purchases needed to fulfill the under 300 requirement. The recipes need too many special purchases to be of any help.
Amber
This recipe book had a lot of great ideas. Many I found, I could not implement because I am not a fan of the Tofu Shirataki Noodles. Very creative.
Kas
Great inspiration and ideas for meals, but I would prefer not to use the amount of artificial products (sweeteners etc) as are recommended in this book.
Tracy
I copied a bunch of recipes that sound delicious but I wish there were more pictures of what the food looks like.
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN0312676816 2 18 Aug 24, 2011 01:00PM
  • Now Eat This! Diet
  • Top Chef the Cookbook
  • 400 Calorie Fix
  • I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening!: Over 150 Ridiculously Easy Recipes for the Super Busy
  • Cook This, Not That!: Easy & Awesome 350-Calorie Meals
  • The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook: 101 Asian Recipes Simple Enough for Tonight's Dinner
  • Southern Plate: Classic Comfort Food That Makes Everyone Feel Like Family
  • Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen: Recipes from My Family to Yours
  • Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast Weeknight Meals: Over 280 Incredible Supper Solutions
  • So Easy: Luscious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Week
  • The Kimchi Chronicles: Korean Cooking for an American Kitchen
  • Twelve Months of Monastery Soups: International Favorites
  • Living Raw Food: Get the Glow with More Recipes from Pure Food and Wine
  • The Biggest Loser Simple Swaps: 100 Easy Changes to Start Living a Healthier Lifestyle
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook: A Treasury of Timeless, Delicious Recipes
  • Weight Watchers One Pot Cookbook
  • Vegan Cooking for Carnivores: Over 125 Recipes So Tasty You Won't Miss the Meat
The creator of HungryGirl.com shares her best tips, recipes, and advice to live a healthy and full life!"

Lisa Lillien is not a nutritionist, she's just hungry. She's the founder of Hungry Girl, the website and daily email service providing approximately one million fans with guilt-free recipes, food and product reviews, dieting news, shockers and more. She also writes weekly columns for WeightWatc
More about Lisa Lillien...
Hungry Girl: Recipes and Survival Strategies for Guilt-Free Eating in the Real World Hungry Girl: 200 Under 200: 200 Recipes Under 200 Calories Hungry Girl 1-2-3: The Easiest, Most Delicious, Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet Hungry Girl to the Max!: The Ultimate Guilt-Free Cookbook The Guilt Free 3