Nora

Nora

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  618 ratings  ·  31 reviews
When innocent, wealthy Nora Marlowe came to visit the Wild West, she was as wide-open to adventure as the vast Texas horizon. Its rugged individualism—and dashing cowboys—suited her romantic spirit. That is, until the wrong cowboy decided to take the elegant heiress down a notch!

Cal Barton didn't like haughty Eastern misses. And he certainly didn't...more
Published June 28th 2011 by HQN Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Nora, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nora

Christel
Dec 01, 2008 Christel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical romance readers
Shelves: diana-palmer
I really enjoyed reading this one. I has nothing to do with her Jacobsville, Long Tall Texans, series. and It was nice to get away from there for a change.

Nora is a spoiled, pampered eliteist from Virginia. Her family has money and are of the highest social status. And Nora acts it. While in Africa, she is bitten by mosquitos and comes done with Malaria. She returns to the States and has the fevers at bay when a telegram arrives asking her to visit her family in East Texas. She goes and begins h...more
Melanie♥
3.5 stars for the audiobook version.

Typical Diana Palmer book but with an historical setting. This one is set partly in Beaumont in 1901 just before the big Spindletop oil discovery in East Texas. I grew up there, so I found that part really interesting. I think this one would have been better if I had read it. It always annoys me when a book does not use contractions. Maybe that's how people spoke in 1901, but it just did not come across very natural in this version. Good storyline, a nice bit...more
Amanda Sheila
It's been a while since I have an anguish attack while reading Diana Palmer. This one's good! I practically feel Nora's painful heart break when she heard remark after remark from Cal. I like the feeling, I guess I am an angst-junkie after all. :)))

One of the best book of Diana Palmer I've read but I can't give it five stars. Mostly because I don't like Cal's withdrawal after Nora's terrible illness. I wish he'd fight for her. But still, I enjoyed it. Anyway, what an ending! :)
Lizzie *is addicted to eye candy*
I'm done. Stick a fork in me. I've had enough of waiting for this selfish, snobbish, elitist stick-up-her-ass girl to grow up. Maybe she redeems herself before the book is over. I only made it about halfway through. Too bad I just don't have the patience to find out. And he's not much better!
Jeanne
I thought this was a good read. I like romance stories, especially ones with either historical or western theme. This had both. Nora goes west to east Texas to visit her aunt and uncle and there on their ranch meets and falls for Cal Barton, her uncle's ranch foreman. They seem to be from very different back grounds, she's rich and pampered and he's uneducated cowboy. The pull between them grew stronger and finally they gave in to their needs. I liked the ending. Sometimes there is not much diff...more
Awatef Ahmittach
Siendo sincera tenía bastantes expectativas sobre este libro. Sin embargo no las cumplió todas. Aun así le di tres estrellas porque ha sido una historia diferente. El argumento no estaba mal, hasta me hizo sufrir en algunas partes.
Barbara Brockhaus
Great beach read. I recommend reading it on the beaches in Costa Rica.
Amber
Sometimes it is nice to read what I like to call "pocket-book romance novel" I have read several in my time...but Diana Palmer is a new author to my goodreads. I found her writing style easy and enjoyable to read through. I will for sure keep her in mind when I need and want to read a good cowboy/western romance novel again!!
Shirin bagchi
At the first look, the book held promises of 18th century romance and an insight into the outback lives. However, as I turned the pages, it did not promise much. Did not like it very much. In fact, I would rather have read a proper Regency romance from Mills and Boon or Silhuette.
Alicia
if you look at this book as a whole it's an ok read but it was sloooow. I listened on audible and that probably gave it enough life that I could finish it. It was very repetitive. We get it Nora is a rich snob and can't be with a lowly cowboy. I liked the ending.
Jodi
I liked that this was just a little bit different than most of Palmer's recent books. Still a lot of similiarities but the historical part of it kept it from fitting in so closely to most of her recent books.
SheLove2Read
May 03, 2011 SheLove2Read rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: **ONLY** hardcore DP fans
Shelves: 2011, dnf
I think this is the only DP I've read to date that had absolutely no redeeming qualities for me. I disliked the hero, the heroine, the story and especially the dialog.

1 star / DNF
Sharon
Enjoyable quick romance. Certainly not the author's best work. I liked her characters and the easy story line, but did not care
for the audio. The voice used for Cal was downright creepy!
Joni
I always love Diana Palmer books. It took me a while to start liking the main characters in this book, but they entertained me along the way.
Ger
I generally like Diana Palmer books - cheesy, romantic, escapism. This wasn't one of her best but I enjoyed the escape anyway.
Tonia Caniglia
I love Diana Palmer and this book was no exception. Loved the chemistry between the two and the side story was a bonus.
Shawn
This book was ok. If you like straight forward romance set in the past this is a book for you. The story was ok, but predictable.
Meghan
This was a guilty read and my first book out of the romance section. It was okay, though pretty predictable at times.
Kshydog
A historical romance that is a bit better than most. The characters at least seemed like real people.
Chris Bolin
The characters were really good, but there is a thing called too much pride. But the book was really good!
Sharon Sherman
Another gret book by Diana Palmer. Her characters are great as is her imagination and creativity.
Connie
Great book. Wonderful characters, loved the story. A book to read again and again!
Faye
I like how it was fast paced and to the point..no uneccessary narration
Stacey
love diana palmer, this book was awesome, super cute, loved it!!!
Maggie
Great beach read - your standard sappy romance novel.
Lynnell Donnelly
I just love Diana Palmer.......
Emily
this book is really good!
  • Courting Susannah
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
  • Hidden Fires
  • Prairie Moon
  • Love's Legacy
  • With a Southern Touch: Adam/A Night in Paradise/Garden Cop
  • Cherish
  • The Sicilian's Mistress
  • Texas Bride (Mail-Order Brides, #1)
  • The Tender Texan
  • Part-Time Wife (Silhouette Special Editions, #1027)
  • Dark Summer Dawn
  • Dearly Beloved

(1)romance author
Susan Eloise Spaeth was born on 11 December 1946 in Cuthbert, Georgia, USA. She was the eldest daughter of Maggie Eloise Cliatt, a nurse and also journalist, and William Olin Spaeth, a college professor. Her mother was part of the women's liberation movement many years before it became fashionab...more
More about Diana Palmer...
Lawless Heartless (Long, Tall Texans, #36) Lawman (STP - Mira) Fearless (Long, Tall Texans, #35) Renegade