Start by marking “Imperial Glory” as Want to Read:
Imperial Glory

Imperial Glory

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Tired and broken by war, the men of the Brimlock Eleventh Imperial Guard are a force on the verge of collapse. Having been stretched across the galaxy by their loyalty to the Emperor, they are presented with one final battle that will allow them reward they all seek: to colonise the distant world of Vorr and live out the rest of their days in peace. All that stands in thei ...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Black Library (first published July 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Imperial Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imperial Glory

Kevin
I bought this book 11/10/11 and finished it 11/13/11 because it was such a good book. At 406 pages it was a rather moderate read, but a very good one regardless. It's a bit too hard to explain trying to go into the Warhammer 40,000 universe, so specifics would be hard to explain, but the charcters were interesting. There was Colonel Stanhope, previously of the 1201st Maugeurite Auxilia Regiment; (A washed up colonel, drawn away form the combat into himself.) Second Lieutenant Carson of the Briml ...more
Matt
I won't go into plot details here as other reviewers have already summarised the story, suffice to say that it features a Guard regiment whose final mission is to cleanse a planet from Ork infestation.

My main problems with this book are with the lacklustre and disappointing final 3rd. There's simply too many loose ends that are not tied up. This being a WH40k title, I wasn't expecting the story itself to symbolise the futility of "only war" and for it to re-iterate the expendability of Guard reg
Drayke Larson
Basic plot: It's the Brimlock 11th Regiment's final deployment. After twenty years of making war in the Emperor's name, these tired Guardsmen will finally be able to settle down after completion of this last mission. Following the common cliche of "one last mission before retirement", you can guess right off the bat how this is going to end for most, if not all of these soldiers.

I've read a *LOT* of Warhammer40k fiction (I'm a bit obsessed), and despite some early dislike for many of the charact
Onprac
A great book, very lore-friendly in some aspects (Guard life, regulations, etc) and not in others (interactions with the machine spirit for one).

If you're at all interested in anything involving the Emperor's Hammer I suggest you read this, it's a bit disjointed as far as books go but if you're enough of a fan you'll look past it. If this were any other sci fi book I would have given it a 3 for some weird choices the author made (pacing, structure, etc).
Ryan
Why the hell did I take so long to read this book. It's brilliant. Lots of really cool detail all over the place.
Jimmy
This was an impulse read while I was between series. So I was expecting a fairly basic imperial guard get killed lots type of book to pass the time.
I was very pleasantly surprised that I also got a very engaging and interesting story that set this book into the top level of black library output. Sure the cliche's abound but they don't grate and there's a few nice twists and of course there's lots of dead orks.

Well worth a read
Sam Simmons
What a beating...dry as get out, feels like you are smashed into the end of the story with hardly any explanation until the very last page and that's not even enough. I'd not recommend this, there are alot of better guard novels, like hammer and anvil, gun heads, and gaunts ghosts
Nicholas Mastrodicasa
If your a fan of the Imperial Guard you could have a look. It's somewhat different than the usual and the ending will be a surprise, or maybe not so much of one considering the setting. The characters are interesting enough that you'll be rooting and hoping for them.
Stuart
I found this to be an amazing story of what the Imperial Guard can be like. It seems to take out the glorification with the Imperial Guard novels and leaves a very gritty story that is told well with flashbacks.
Garrett Eriksen
AMAZING WH40k novel, but the final ending chapter was crap. It just left too much unfinished. A pity. I'm giving it 4-stars for 99% of the novel, but it looses a start because the ending just left me annoyed.
Eno Gjoni
Eno Gjoni marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Rod Medrano
Rod Medrano marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Mike Jong
Mike Jong marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Dean Freidline
Dean Freidline marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Death of Ayrton Senna Reiksguard Relentless Liber Chaotica Complete The Blue Moment: Miles Davis's Kind of Blue and the Remaking of Modern Music