Start by marking “Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child” as Want to Read:
Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child

Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  462 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Based on Dharma talks by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh and insights from participants in retreats for healing the inner child, this book is an exciting contribution to the growing trend of using Buddhist practices to encourage mental health and wellness. Reconciliation focuses on the theme of mindful awareness of our emotions and healing our relationships, as well as meditati ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Parallax Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Reconciliation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reconciliation

Maarten
Oct 30, 2015 Maarten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very helpful and insightful book. Made me smile sometimes too :)

Just felt like pointing out though, that some sentences may sound uncomfortable or might encourage people to put the book down. I refer to some parts in the first chapters where Thich Nhat Hahn talks lightly about suffering, that it is "fine" and that you can "just" bathe your suffering in thoughts of light and everything will become alright. Ofcourse it is not as easy in real life as it sounds. Thankfully, this is acknowledged by
Korinna
Oct 16, 2013 Korinna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a short book, but it took me about two weeks to read it because I wanted to take it in and absorb it slowly. Even if you don't identify as someone who likes self-help books (like I don't) or you aren't a buddhist (as I am not) this book is incredibly helpful and powerful. As someone who had, comparatively, experienced a good childhood, and since worked with at-risk youth and lived and traveled in poor countries, I felt at first like I shouldn't be reading this book- that I had already de ...more
Clay Templeton
This text by Hanh didn't speak to me as profoundly as True Love did, but that's likely because it reads to me as a more advanced text, that expects the reader to engage in several practices and mantras. As someone who has never attended a Buddhist society meeting of any kind, and only practices alone, I find it nearly impossible to participate in the ways recommended by "Reconciliation"

I look forward to reading another one of his books to further my insight into Mindful Breathing (Peace is in Ev
Heather Finlayson
I read this one cover to cover twice and often pick it up for inspiration. I'm sure I've said of other titles, if you only read one dharma book, let it be this...this is in my top five. It's a powerful combination of buddhist thought mixed with western psychology. Supremely healing.
Mike
Nov 25, 2015 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trauma, favorites
As somone who has read many of Thích Nhất Hạnh's books and often turns to them during difficult times, I read this end to end over a 24 hour period, moved frequently to tears. It's instantly my favorite work of his, and I know I will return to it many, many times. I plan to re-read it again over the next few weeks, more slowly, more carefully.

It's an incredibly soothing, practicable review of the elements of his thinking related to trauma, healing, interbeing and reconciliation. I've been in tr
Tim Weakley
An exploration of healing the inner child from the Buddhist point of view. It made for a good read, if a very quick one. The book is made up of transcripts of dharma talks given by Hanh over a 10 year period. The downside can be that this makes for a little bit of a disjointed flow, but the ideas in the chapters are well worth thinking over.
Seawood
I feel like I've read a lot of this before, literally word for word - I suspect a large amount of it has been used in How To Love, or Anger. Consequently there's a huge chunk on how to reconcile with someone you've fallen out with and a lot of meditation practices. There isn't as much on working with your inner child as I'd expected. It boils down to "meditate with your inner kid and be nice to them." *mystical healing happens*, now go be nice to everyone, even people that hurt you in the first ...more
Chrissy
Apr 01, 2012 Chrissy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's probably a ton of books about reconnecting with your inner child, or healing your inner child, or anything to do with your inner child. This is the only book out there that I trust on the matter.
Jeni Andrews
Feb 23, 2015 Jeni Andrews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an insightful way to approach your innermost tragedies in life. I really liked how Thich Nhat Hanh explains how you are connected to your ancestor's suffering and that unless that suffering is resolved, you will pass it down to your children. He talks about how to experience anger and sadness in a productive way and to teach yourself mindfulness and compassion towards yourself and others. You cannot go out and heal the world if you do not heal yourself first.

I definitely recommend this book
Danielle Dorchak
A practical guide for healing, and restoring wholeness. A book to come back to, over and over. Life-changing. Thank you Thich Nhat Hanh.
Maeike Piebenga
May 07, 2016 Maeike Piebenga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book contains a wealth of wisdom about healing old trauma and hurt that you can be subconsciously still be holding on to. Reading it was a journey in itself, and parts can be read over and over, and have a different meaning every time. The practices go deep and offer a lot of insights. In fact, I read the library e-book at first but now bought the pocket version just so I can easily pick it up and re-experience a text or repeat one of the practices.
I can recommend this book to anyone in su
A.H. Haar
In the other books of Thich Nhat Hanh (at least those that I've read-Being Peach, Touching Peace, True Love) he speaks of what to do when our mindfulness is weak; Meditate on the beautiful things, even if only for a few minutes. For those few minutes spent breathing and appreciating the strength and stature of a tree, or the beauty of a flower, are a few minutes you strengthened the seeds of peacefulness and mindfulness while not watering the seeds of anger, fear, or despair. The idea is that on ...more
Christy
Feb 22, 2015 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dharma
Sweet and beautiful book that will be cherished by anyone that struggles with wounds from the past or anyone feeling lost and out of touch with themselves and the world. We cannot be connected to the world until we are connected with ourselves...it's true. Thay writes with such a gentle and loving voice...the reader cannot help feeling safe and held in every single word. This is a book that I will return to over and over again...
Marie Rose
Apr 11, 2013 Marie Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't have much to say about this book. But that's not because I don't like it. I do. A lot. It's because I come back to this book over and over again, and every time I do, I take something new from it. Because it's never the same for me twice in a row, I don't imagine two people would ever experience it in the same way. So I don't have much to say, other than, experience it! Read this book. More than once, at different times in your life. You'll be glad you did. I feel so fortunate to be born ...more
Jessica Baer
Apr 30, 2015 Jessica Baer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hanh's view and practices on human suffering slice right through to the core.
Violeta
Jul 20, 2015 Violeta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book will definitely help you heal the inner child. It is written so beautifully, it will literally make you cry. Really recommend this book.
Alison
Jun 17, 2015 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, excellent book! This book was recommended to me on a retreat by a spiritual reader to heal my inner child. It was just what I needed. Thich Nhat Hanh puts very abstract concepts in simple terms. I will be reading more of his books!
Ginni Dickinson
Apr 11, 2012 Ginni Dickinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A deeply compassionate book. Thich Nhat Hanh suggests that it is through understanding the roots of our own suffering that we can be healed and move forward to enjoy the present moment. Also, a major component of our own healing is to understand that all beings suffer. If we view the challenging people in our lives as beings who also suffer we can develop compassion and forgiveness. It is through this forgiveness that deep healing of ourselves can occur. I will be reading this book again and aga ...more
Maggie
Nov 22, 2011 Maggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book on mindfulness is very interesting and helpful. It isn't as "new agie" as the title suggests, or maybe it is and I'm just more new agie than I thought. It's about being kind to yourself to acknowledging hurts and not really working through them, but being mindful of them. Okay this probably doesn't make sense, but if you are into mindfulness or are interested, this is a good book to read.
Bill Holmes
Oct 02, 2015 Bill Holmes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
This book changed my life. At age 48, I was open to it and needed to change. For me it was about taking care of my childhood pain and bottled up fears and frustrations. The exercises enabled my to forgive myself, my parents, my ancestors. I recommend this to anyone who is ready and willing to work through long term pain and suffering or traumatic experiences.
Renate
May 04, 2013 Renate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading Thich Nhat Hanhs practical spirituality. He is a true teacher that impressed with accessibility and depth. You don't have to be a full swing budhist to find useful stuff here. His views on family relations rang true to me. A book recommended to those striving to be more mindful and more compassionate.
Marcia
Mar 19, 2012 Marcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book with a beautiful message. Hanh shares an eternal message of love and healing and compassion and clearly describes for his readers the steps needed to heal oneself as well as others. Such a great read, especially helpful if one is in need of some reconciliation...
Margaret
Sep 06, 2012 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book and the second I've read by Thich Nhat Hanh. His way of writing brings me into the now and often fills me with joy. This book explores our ancestry and how the experiences of our grandparents and parents become a blueprint in our own lives.
Shee Tsim Nam
Jul 26, 2014 Shee Tsim Nam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The principles are there, but the transformation (to practices) may not be entirely smooth. Such practices take time and suitable environment to carry out. I just gather the principle and see if the practices can be modified to my own need.
Tonja
Jun 15, 2011 Tonja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book to remind us that we must forgive ourselves and face our fears/guilt. Easier said than done, of course. But I often go back to this, open a page, and start reading. And I always learn something new about myself.
Kevin
Jul 29, 2014 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extraordinary, inner exploration of what self-limiting thoughts and feelings I have let rule my life. The exploration was difficult but a necessary step in my progression forward.
T.
Mar 25, 2014 T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhist-books
This excellent book provides techniques for healing your inner child, as well as using communication and compassion to improve relationships, with both ourselves and others.
Kyle Roberts
Jan 14, 2014 Kyle Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thich-nhat-hanh
It is an interesting collection of thoughts that I did not find a big help till I got past half way. I am sure that anyone can find something of value when reading this.
Jeff Strain
Jun 19, 2012 Jeff Strain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A rich and reflective read for those struggling with hidden or damaging childhoods. Thich Nhat Hahn remains my favorite Buddhist writer.
Sandy
Dec 30, 2011 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
This is a book to read and re-read and re-read. I've read other works by Thich Nhat Hanh, but this one excels all of them.
  • It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • The Great Path of Awakening: The Classic Guide to Lojong, a Tibetan Buddhist Practice for Cultivating the Heart of Compassion
  • Satipaṭṭhāna: The Direct Path to Realization
  • The Practice of Lojong: Cultivating Compassion through Training the Mind
  • Mindfulness with Breathing: A Manual for Serious Beginners
  • The Bliss of Inner Fire: Heart Practice of the Six Yogas of Naropa
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • Wake Up To Your Life: Discovering the Buddhist Path of Attention
  • Your Best Life Now for Moms
  • How to Meditate: A Practical Guide
  • Each Moment Is the Universe: Zen and the Way of Being Time
  • Intimacy with God: An Introduction to Centering Prayer
  • The Life of the Buddha: According to the Pali Canon
  • Creative Mind and Success
  • Focused and Fearless: A Meditator's Guide to States of Deep Joy, Calm, and Clarity
  • Evolutionary Enlightenment: A New Path to Spiritual Awakening
  • How to Meditate with Pema Chodron: A Practical Guide to Making Friends with Your Mind
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...

“The reality is that we are safe and we have the capacity to enjoy the wonders of life in the present moment. When we recognize that our suffering is based on images instead of current reality, then living happily in the present moment becomes possible right away.” 2 likes
“When our mind is carried away by strong pain, it helps to go back to our relaxed and peaceful in-breath and out-breath. Eventually, when our painful feeling comes back, we accept it as it is instead of letting it carry us away and make us more agitated. We don’t fight the painful feeling because we know it is part of us, and we don’t want to fight ourselves. Pain, irritation, and jealousy are all part of us. As they arise, we can calm them by going back to our in-breath and out-breath. Our peaceful breathing will calm those strong emotions. When an emotion becomes calmer, we can see the roots of our suffering and see that those who cause us pain are also suffering. Usually when we suffer we think we’re the only person who suffers, and that the other person is very happy. But in fact, it’s likely that the person who hurts us also has a lot of pain and doesn’t know how to handle his strong emotions. Breathing with awareness, we generate our energy of mindfulness, and we can have insight into” 0 likes