Start by marking “A Stranger in the Mirror” as Want to Read:

3.61  ·  Rating Details ·  16,349 Ratings  ·  324 Reviews
Toby Temple is a superstar, the world's funniest man. He gets any woman that he wants, but under the superstar image is a lonely man. Jill Castle is a sensuous starlet. She has a dark and mysterious past and has an ambition even greater than Toby's. Together they rule Hollywood.
Paperback
Published 1980 by Warner Books, Inc. (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about A Stranger in the Mirror, please sign up.

Hema Priya Probably he left her for good.He was traumatized when he saw a Mexican in the picture which Clifton showed and it reminded him of his sister.
MALLORYSEELEY The book is about young people that are sheltered and mistreated in their childhood with the dreams of "being somebody" when they made it to…moreThe book is about young people that are sheltered and mistreated in their childhood with the dreams of "being somebody" when they made it to adulthood. Both have adventurous times in their reckless lives once they reach stardom.
It was been a while since I've read this book, but it's a good one! Note: I haven't been on GR in some time, so I am making up for lost time. :) (less)

Jolo Manansala
Apr 13, 2012 Jolo Manansala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was my first ever Sidney Sheldon book and I loved it. I literally could not put the book down. I slept at 11 pm for three nights and finished it then. The suspense really got me every night and the only thing that kept me from reading was that I knew that I needed to wake up early in the morning.

Never has a book made me feel so much emotions in one time. I felt the passion, the hate, the love, and to be honest, I felt turned on (Blame it on my fourteen year old hormones) at the well-explai
Mesha'el Alturki
** spoiler alert ** I could give Sidney Sheldon's books 5 stars without even reading them because I know they're all gonna be great!
"A Stranger in the Mirror" is another amazing story by this amazing author. I got really annoyed when I had to put it down. The story is absolutely breathtaking!
It's about a boy "Toby" and a girl "Jill" who wanted to leave their hometowns to find fame in Hollywood. Terrible things happen to them along the way. The girl seeks revenge when she finally becomes an impo
Nu-Jahat-Jabin
লাইফে পরথম শিডনী শেলডনের বই পড়ি কাজিন রিচার থেকে নিয়ে। সেই ববই সমপরক এ সে যা বলছিল সেটা এখন ও কানে বাজে। এই বই পড়তে গিয়ে মনে হল ওর কথাটা খুব একটা ভুল না।

কাজিনের এপিক বানীটা ছিল "আর বলিস না কিছু হইলেই তারা বিছানায় যেতে পছনদ করে " :3

রিভিউ শেষ ১৮+ রিভিউ দেবার পর ও বই কযামন না বুঝলে আমার করার কিছু নাই ।
২.৫ মাগার গুডরিডস যতদিন আধাআধি রেটিং যুকত না করছে ততদিন পূরন সংখযা দিয়েই কাজ চালাতে হবে।
Salymar
Aug 02, 2012 Salymar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“You don't know what can happen tomorrow. Life is like a novel, isn't it? It's filled with suspense. You never know what's going to happen until you turn the page.”
― Sidney Sheldon

A Stranger in the Mirror

The story presented a trashy look at Hollywood with an awesome twist in the tail. Good for easy reading in the rain~
This book has a promising start and a successful ending. It haunted me just like any Sheldon books I have read. Another awesome novel, Sheldon.

P.S.: There's too much explicit cont
Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]
I didn’t quiet remember what I liked with this book except that I cried to the uber tragedy romantic ending scene.

Yeah! Well I’m just 12 when I read it. And you probably are wondering why I read this kind of book at that early age.

So I’ll give you the short version of why this book landed in my hand at the age of 12:

Me: we have book report in English. Do you have novel books?

Uncle: none. I’ll just get you one from my friend

Me: Okay.

[After few hours.]

Uncle: here. [Gave me the book] it’s the only
Bonnie
Mar 15, 2010 Bonnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am in the process of re-reading my Sidney Sheldon book collection. I haven't read these books for many years and thought it would fun to go back try them again.

I'd actually give this book somewhere between 2-3 stars. This book has just about everything...starting with poor humble beginnings to pride,greed,revenge,sex - a lot of sex,consequences of choices made....and much more. I don't think this is one of Sheldon's better plots. It was interesting but didn't hold my interest for very long. I
Parva Chhantyal
Mr. Sheldon does it again! Another breathtaking story about love, betrayal, vengeance and murder. This is bit different than his other books but I really enjoyed it.

Toby grew up with an idea that he was born to be famous. On the other hand, Jill grew up dreaming about being rich and beautiful. Soon, both realize that the only place that gives them what they want is Hollywood.

Both of them have to struggle to reach to the top. The part that describes their struggle is really heart touching. They h
Thomas Strömquist
Sheldon enjoyed - that's just a saying, mind, I'm not sure he was even aware - a brief super fame in Sweden in the early 80's and his books were published in large, low-price hardbacks with fashion model covers that had nothing at all to do with the content. Unfortunately for me and my friends (who for the longest time thought he was a woman for some reason), this coincided with our early to mid teens and we devoured his sex-spiced outings. The story-lines were often 'shocking' (albeit simple, b ...more
Nivruthi Vora
Mar 07, 2013 Nivruthi Vora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well..its my 5th Sidney Sheldon book. I could not rate less than 5 stars in any of his books so far. Here, Toby Temple captures the title "the most funniest man in the world" though he passed through many loathsome folks in his path. On the other hand, Jill Castle who also had an ambition but partial talent, uses Toby to reach her heights. Selfish love, revenge, hatred, betraying were brought out in a marvelous way. The tale was really interesting that i was reading contiguously skipping my appe ...more
Valerie
I actually read the version that is translated into the Russian language. The book is a good read, but it doesn't really get too interesting until the last few chapters. It seemed to drag on a bit, however it leaves you wanting to know what is going to happen and WHEN it will finally happen! All in all, it was alright.
Graceann
Ah, Sidney Sheldon, what can you say about him? His novels are trashy, full of unrealistic, rather silly plots, sex and situations ... and they are so un-putdownable that they might as well be made of crazy glue.

In this one, two young aspiring performers have simultaneous stories. Toby Temple is a young comic with a boyish, innocent face but a mean streak a mile deep. Jill Castle has had to fight and claw to get any sort of career.

This one gets three stars rather than just one because the stor
Sophie
Feb 26, 2011 Sophie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this a while back. While the book is very well written, there was a depressing air to the entire book. Even now as I remember vividly the storyline, it feels me with sadness. Both the hero and heroine in the book went through so many horrible events in the book. I really do hope that Hollywood is better than how it is portrayed in the book.
Mushfique
foul
Sifat
Apr 27, 2017 Sifat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is about Toby Temple who is a superstar, the world's funniest man. He will make you laugh if you are an audience. He will make you go through a lot of emotions if you are reading his life story. Go for it.

“But a comedian is naked. His only weapon was his wit.”
― A Stranger In The Mirror
VaultOfBooks
Sep 07, 2012 VaultOfBooks rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
By Sidney Sheldon. Grade: C
Sidney Sheldon is time and time again pitted as one of the world’s all-time best fiction novelist. From being an author to a screen writer to a producer, Sidney Sheldon has done it all and then some more. A Stranger in the Mirror, a fiction suspense novel, is the third of his career.
Toby Temple is a superstar, the world’s funniest man. He gets any woman that he wants, but under the superstar image is a lonely man. Jill Castle is a sensuous starlet. She has a dark and m
Edy
Jan 22, 2011 Edy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novel ini memakai setting tahun 1940-1960-an. Novel bercerita tentang Toby Temple, seorang anak laki-laki dari keluarga miskin yang lari ke New York untuk menghindari tanggung jawab karena menghamili teman sekelasnya sewaktu SMA. Toby yang mempunyai bakat menjadi pelawak kemudian berjuang keras untuk masuk ke dunia hiburan. Dengan rasa percaya diri, perjuangan keras, keberuntungan, bakat dan kepandaian berkomunikasi akhirnya dia mulai menapak menjadi artis yang mengorbit di level internasional. ...more
Laini
Apr 24, 2011 Laini rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
A Stranger in the Mirror is a hard book to describe. The basic story is split in 2 for most of the book. Toby Temple begins the tale, he is a very famous and very successful actor/comedian in Hollywood. However the story starts with his early life. He left home very young as he had impregnated a girl at his school whose parents were looking for a shotgun wedding, so with his own mother's blessing he fled. He worked for many years trying to make it big and finally did.

Meanwhile, we have Jill Cas
Sana Rose
Sep 26, 2011 Sana Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is so different from Sheldon's books. And while we know this story will end in a tragic way, I had to complete it!
It is compelling, intriguing, well-informed, and in the end, justified - for we sure don't want to have a negative feeling like "They got away..."

And Sheldon has taken care of that. I kept hoping things might get better, but I knew they wouldn't, for it's always a good thing that we remember where we came from, how great we grow...
And the characters are strongly drawn out. We kn
Qamar Sultana
Jun 25, 2016 Qamar Sultana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book which I would recommend to people of all ages. A girl has so many dreams for herself and with little help of the resourceful people, she could have achieved all her wishes and lived the life which she dreamed of. she works so hard, she perseveres , she sacrifices but alas the cruel world only uses her. She fights back and gives them back they deserve. But the end, however, still does not give her that satisfaction . Perhaps because, in life , love is the most important e ...more
Ceki
Feb 10, 2013 Ceki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, drama, tragedy
Darío
Aug 21, 2014 Darío rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Esta obra estuvo tan fascinante que escribiré dos mensajes a públicos de diferentes áreas.

PARA LECTORES: Es una historia muy bien desarrollada, la prosa de Sheldon es rica en detallar los sucesos. Te enamoras de los personajes y de cierta manera, el libro te hace sentir un famoso más en el mundo del espectáculo.

PARA LOS QUE SE DEDICAN O QUIEREN DEDICAR AL MUNDO TEATRAL: Se sentirán identificados y tomarán consejos que Sidney nos presenta a lo largo del libro. Soñarás y te convertirás en un Toby
F.P.
May 30, 2013 F.P. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a remarkable book--my favorite of Sheldon's and probably his best (of the ones I've read--I've not read them all), and I think it shows that he's underrated as a novelist. His content tends to be shallow and materialistic and glitzy, which is typically not my favorite; however, beneath that in Sheldon's books, there is often so much well-plotted storytelling-cleverness that I can overlook any shallowness, like with this book.

I'm not going to give away the most-excellent plot because I ha
Liyana
Feb 08, 2015 Liyana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mixed feelings about this one, certainly. Familiar style, some sort of familiar events in most of his books yet manages to capture my attention time and time again.

I weep for Jill and Toby.
I pity the ambitious little girl, Josephine.

There are so many rights and wrongs that sometimes one tends to get lose in them.

You lose yourself as the darkness surrounds.

...but I couldn't say that this is my most fav from him. I didn't enjoy the central idea much.
Rohit Kunal
Apr 02, 2016 Rohit Kunal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book has disturbed me very much. Not one you would look for if you want an okay ending. Though some of the things in life are very much close to reality, nothing in this one ends in an okay sort. I personally made it a point not to read such books anymore. For the Sidney Sheldon fans, i can only say that it was good, but just not my cup of tea.
Beth
Jan 06, 2011 Beth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this one long ago...I remember "If Tomorrow Comes" because of the "YES!" feeling I had at the end...I remember this one because of the "yucky" feeling I had at the end. I obviously got involved with the characters, because I was almost depressed by the ending. Least favorite.
Beatrice Abdel baki
I really enjoy books by Sidney Sheldon! The whole story was just brilliant.
Gimille
the most sensual and tragic book of sidney sheldon that i have ever read.
Sarala Nion
Mar 25, 2017 Sarala Nion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tommy Temple e Jill Temple: miscela esplosiva ad Hollywood per due individui fortemente motivati al successo votati alla tragedia. Sheldon ritaglia due personaggi molto interessanti e carismatici grazie ad una scrittura scorrevole e mai banale. Consigliato.
Revere
Mar 24, 2017 Revere rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sidney-sheldon
By far, my least favorite Sidney Sheldon.
Jannin (The Booknerd Dragon)
I borrow this book from a friend of mine. I was curious even though it’s an old book.

When I started reading this book, I was so confused. At first I thought the prologue had nothing to do with the whole story so it was weird for me to read it. And then I started the first part. It was amazing that in one book, a character’s whole life was in it. From the story of its parents, down to when he was still a baby and then growing up and then finally, the adult part. This book is something that I have
Goodreads Librari...: A Stranger in the Mirror 0-446-36492-4 2 31 May 22, 2012 11:25PM
  • Remembrance
  • Hollywood Wives (Hollywood Series, #1)
  • 79 Park Avenue
  • The Second Lady
  • Dazzle
  • Prizes
  • The Fourth Estate
  • Once Is Not Enough (Jacqueline Susann)
  • Voice of the Heart
Sidney Sheldon (1917-2007) was an American writer who won awards in three careers—a Broadway playwright, a Hollywood TV and movie screenwriter, and a best-selling novelist.

His TV works spanned a twenty-year period during which he created I Dream of Jeannie (1965-70), Hart to Hart (1979-84), and The Patty Duke Show (1963-66), but it was not until after he turned 50 and began writing best-selling no
More about Sidney Sheldon...

“If you would seek to find yourself
look not in the mirror
for there is but a shadow there'
A stranger....
SILENIUS, ODES TO TRUTH”
3 likes
“They had lied. Time was not a friend that healed all wounds ;it was the enemy that ravaged and murdered youth.” 2 likes