Start by marking “Worlds Without End (The Mission, #1)” as Want to Read:
Worlds Without End (The Mission, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Worlds Without End (Worlds Without End #1)

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  164 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Twenty-three years after the disappearance of the Mars I space shuttle, NASA receives a mysterious transmission from Adrian Palmer, the commander of the mission. Adrian's brother, Kevin, wastes no time funding the Mars II rescue mission commanded by Jake Palmer, Adrian's son. Jake and Dr. Steven "Skip" Hendricks, a NASA physicist, travel through a wormhole that Skip believ ...more
Published March 8th 2011 by Empyrean Publications (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Worlds Without End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worlds Without End

Tanya Monique
May 21, 2011 Tanya Monique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
One of the best books I have ever read!

Shaun Messick has redefined the science fiction genre. He wonderfully mixes LDS doctrine with science fiction into a page turner that I could not put down. I bought this book on a Monday and finished it the next day. I am surprised that this author hasn't been signed by a traditional publishing house yet. His writing style is fast paced and action packed. He left me hanging at the end of each chapter, so I had to keep reading. I highly recommend this book f
Vicki
Jan 13, 2012 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds-fiction
I really enjoyed this story, it was very unique and interesting. My only complaint is that it needs to be proof read extensively! I found so many spelling errors, it was kind of off-putting. Also, I don't know if it was my Kindle or what, but after a certain point in the book, there were no longer any divisions between chapters or any paragraph indentations. I would really like to read the next book, but I hope that the author will take the time to have it proof read.
Samantha
Jul 13, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Goodreads Giveaway
*I won this in a giveaway

This book was okay, the NASA/Space/Gnol/Love story part was awesome, but when it came to the religious part of the book I was really displeased. I felt like I was getting really bored and I couldn't follow the scriptures that were quoted in here. I wanted to skip over those and continue with the good parts of the book. Which is why I gave this book four stars.

I would consider reading book #2.

Daleine
Jan 09, 2013 Daleine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent scifi. I liked it so much I ordered the next book, I just have to know the rest of saga. This is a great book for teens and adults alike. It is the story of a man who goes looking for his father who had gone through a worm hole twenty years before. What he finds his father and a whole planet which has been enslaved by a third world. Excellent story, a must read for scifi fans, teens and Adults
Apr 16, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I wanted to love this book but there were a few too many grammatical and punctuation errors that I had a hard time looking past. That said, I even though I can't say I LOVED it I did really, really like it and I found the plot very intriguing and original. Definitely looking forward to reading the next one.
~reader~
Jun 01, 2012 ~reader~ rated it it was amazing
After the disappearance of the Mars I space shuttle, NASA receives a message from Adrian Palmer, the commander of the mission. So they send Mars II for a rescue mission, ran by Adrian's son. This book is action packed and I could easily see it translated into the big screen. Thumbs up from me.
Janice Crespo
May 08, 2011 Janice Crespo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy science fiction, expanding your imagination and well-developed characters, this is definitely a series you want to put on your reading list. Definitely looking forward to the rest of the series!
Natarsha
Jan 12, 2013 Natarsha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Mission delivered what the movie "Prometheus" side tracked and veered off , and couldn't portray. Look forward to the next book.
KyleeMo
Nov 26, 2011 KyleeMo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worlds Without End: The Mission is a cool book. It's got a lot of suspense and action. I can't wait for the next book to come out!
KyleeMo
Nov 26, 2011 KyleeMo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jerry
Feb 15, 2013 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: Adrian Palmer was supposed to be the first human to set foot on Mars, but his NASA ship disappeared before he reached The Red Planet, which devastated Jake, the son he left behind. Twenty-three years later, Jake, who has since become a star pilot, gets notified by NASA that they have received a message from Adrian, intended for him. Jake engages on the same journey, and finds himself taken into a wormhole, which leads to a planet whose denizens look exactly like humans. After reuniting ...more
Allison
May 23, 2011 Allison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Members of LDS, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
I would like it to be known that I received this book for free as part of the Goodreads Giveaway. However, I have no interest in giving false reviews and the following is my own opinion based solely on my reading experience.

The first thing that needs to be said of this book is that it is heavily religious; it assumes that the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are true and indisputable.

As a long time reader of science fiction, I have always enjoyed the genre for its' re
Cindy
Oct 20, 2012 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I think the attempt to make this science fiction book an LDS Fiction novel turned a good science fiction read in to a mediocre one. I think the book would have been much better if most of the references to the Gospel/LDS Church had been removed.

I love science fiction. I love LDS Fiction. So I was prepared to really love this book. I did not. I think the book is a good work of science fiction and when that was the focus, the book really captured my attention and I wanted to keep reading.

But the L
Magnus Itland
Mormons. In space!
If you are one of the many who have met Mormon / Latter Day Saint missionaries trying to push their holy book on random people, you may have wondered: "What are they like off-duty?" This book will not answer that question. The author is still trying to push his religion in a cheerfully unsubtle way even as he is writing a science-fiction book. As such, the result is something highly unusual.

Unfortunately, it has little value beyond the absurd theater effect of combining quote
Kelley Ross
May 11, 2011 Kelley Ross rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through the Goodreads first reads program.

I wanted to enjoy this book because I have a great appreciation for the science-fiction genre, but I just didn't. Although the characters were obviously important to the author, I feel like they were constantly described in cliche ways. The book ended in strange way, although I do understand it was meant to leave room for the rest of the series. Other books I have received through the first reads program had small errors, but this n
Seven
Jul 09, 2012 Seven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it when I randomly come across an author that I’ve never heard of and it ends up being a damn good book. Lately I’ve had to force myself through some very boring science fiction books.

When I first started reading this, I planned on setting it down after the first chapter. But before I knew it, a couple hours passed and I was reading well into the night. I finished the book within a week

Which is pretty unusual for me and my schedule. I’m usually happy if I finish one book a month.

What to s
Charissa
Mar 17, 2013 Charissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This action-packed novel was intense! I didn't know if I'd like it at first, but I ended up loving it. It has a very intriguing premise. Adrian Palmer goes with his team to Mars and gets sucked into a wormhole and stranded in another galaxy on a world like Earth called Terrest. He helps these people until another alien race comes and wipes out most of the population. Adrian and his group lead a resistance movement against the superior Gnol race (humans that use 80% of their brain instead of only ...more
Lee
Jul 29, 2014 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up for my Kindle to read on vacation and had a hard time putting it down. I don't usually like science fiction but this held my attention. I liked to gospel connection. I am now ready the sequel but it is not as good.

This was a clean but exciting read.
LaDawn
I didn't start out liking this book. I didn't like the prologue, and in the end, I didn't like the epilogue. I think both could have been left out. The book also suffers what many ebooks suffer: lack of a good editor. However, it wasn't so bad as to interfere with the story, just bad enough to be annoying.

Having said that, as a member of the LDS church, I liked the storyline. I only found a few places where I thought the religious part of the story interfered with the flow, and those tended to b
Steve Curll
Dec 22, 2012 Steve Curll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Larry Norman thought, "If there's life on other planets,then I'm sure that He must know...'cause He's been there once already, and has died to save their souls" is a major theme of this series. When on a mission to Mars our crew is sucked through a wormhole to an earth like planet where the savior has died for all, but not all have accepted this fact. A rescue mission from Earth soon discvers this war torn world where the battle between good and evil is evident. The religious references are ...more
George
Oct 18, 2014 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alison
Aug 17, 2012 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am big fan of science fiction and I love finding new and unique books in this genre. That is exactly what I found in Worlds Without End. However, this book is so much more than just a science fiction book. The story is complex and very well written. The author does a great job of developing the characters in a way that really makes you connect with them. The coming of age story of Jake Palmer as well as the mysteries and journeys surrounding Adrian Palmer made this one hard book to put down. I ...more
Gunnhildur Rúnarsdóttir
I read a few reviews of this book before reading it. Some readers loved it and some did not like it. There were mentions of the religious aspect in it. I think it should be tagged as religious. This book was bad.

I read the first half and then skimmed the rest. I had figured out the big reveals very early and just couldn't read the rest properly.

I'm not going into what I thought was wrong with this book, it would take to long and I already spent too much time on it.

Will not be reading the next bo
Mike
Jan 28, 2013 Mike rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written. The plot was unbelievable in places, e.g. recovering from life threatening injuries in days or even hours, learning to fly a space fighter in combat in a few days, and rebuilding an entire world's technology in a few years. The worst part though was an overwhelmingly useless use of religion in the story.
Russ
Dec 25, 2013 Russ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I wanted to like this book, but the religious stuff was a bit (a lot?) over the top. Too bad, too, because I would like to know how the invasion turns out, who wins, and all that stuff. But I won't because I'm not going to read the remaining book(s). Funny how the sci-fi part was more beliveable than the God stuff.
Jim
May 25, 2013 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The overall direction and writing was okay. It's a good story.

There are several places where the author wishes to bring you into an emotional state that just doesn't work. It is very optimistic, perhaps too much (everything works out a little too neat sometimes).
Carolin
Mar 06, 2013 Carolin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
So far I love the book, I love to read LDS fiction books. I has a message behind a story. I gives an insigth to how it is greatly possiable that there are other worlds out there that might just be like our earth.
Thomas
Jul 07, 2013 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written even the Religious bent to the story. I hope to read the next installment.
Lauraleetham
Sep 03, 2012 Lauraleetham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. Nice sci/fi with some scripture and action without being gory.
Kristine
Jul 24, 2012 Kristine rated it liked it
Not a bad book somtimes alittle hard to faollow but all in all not bad.
  • The Chosen (Portals of Destiny #1)
  • Seth and Chloe (Lunara Trilogy, #1)
  • Shadow of Stone (The Pendragon Chronicles, #2)
  • Splintered: Sierra's Legacy (The Eldwitch Chronicles, #1)
  • Gabriel's Redemption
  • The Never Born (Locus Origin, #1)
  • The Judging (The Corescu Chronicles #1)
  • This Very Moment
  • Where Love Once Lived
  • House of Secrets (A Shandra Covington Mystery, #1)
  • Beside Two Rivers (Daughters of the Potomac, #2)
  • The Reborn (the Day Eight Series Part 1)
  • From Ashes to Honor (First Responders #1)
  • Abducted (Pacific Coast Justice, #2)
  • A Promise Made (Gaian Stories #1.5)
  • The Magic of Windlier Woods
  • Tomorrow's Sun (Lost Sanctuary #1)
  • Thief (Fringe, #1)

Shaun Messick is an established writer and teacher. His works include fiction, personal development books and articles, and freelance blogging. He writes for several blogging websites, including his own blog – EmpyreanBooks.com. His first novel, Worlds Without End: The Mission, has been successful with over 50,000 downloads and purchases on the Kindle alone. The next book in the series, Worlds Wit
More about Shaun Messick...

Worlds Without End (3 books)
  • Aftermath (Worlds Without End, #2)
  • Worlds Without End: The Prophecy (Book 3)