Start by marking “73 Poems” as Want to Read:
73 Poems

E.E. Cummings

73 Poems

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  459 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews

Four months after Cummings's death in September 1962, his widow, the photographer Marion Morehouse, collected the typescripts of 29 new poems. These poems, as well as uncollected poems published only in periodicals up to that time, make up 73 Poems. This is the final volume in Liveright's reissue of Cummings's individual volumes of poetry, with texts and settings based on

Published June 1st 1972 by Thomson Learning (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about 73 Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 73 Poems

?
Matthew
Sep 07, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
73 Poems, the first of two collections published after E. E. Cummings's death (the second being Etcetera ), is a continuation of the poet's exploration of love and the triumph of the individual over conformity and complacency...
seeker of truth

all paths lead where

truth is here
- 3 (pg. 13)

if in beginning twilight of winter will stand

(over a snowstopped silent world)one
spirit serenely truly himself;and

alone only as greatness is alone -

one(above never moving all nowhere)
goldenly whol
Rachel
Aug 06, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was actually a little disappointed by this. I didn't really understand a lot of the poems, and I definitely acknowledge that it is in due to my lack of study or time spent with the poems. I've learned by experience that something that appears to be over my head or of little worth is completely flipped if I spend time with it or someone teaches me where and how to read a work of art (be that a book, poem, movie, painting, etc). His poems are interesting and I did like the ones that had fun soun ...more
Kate
Aug 12, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a few e. e. cumming poems before, but never one right after the other. I thought he was a strange, but interesting and beautiful poet. And after having just read 73 of his poems, I now find him to be even more strange and more beautiful. I picked 2 of his that were my favorites:

Me up at does

You wouldn't have

AND

everybody happy?
WE-WE-WE
& to hell with the chappy
who doesn't agree

(if you can'
Iphios
Jan 03, 2016 Iphios rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I have read e.e. Cummings poetry before this was the first time I read a collection of his work. He is an experience, as his poetry isn't necessarily read out loud but read as its construction is part of the poem. While some were too strange to me, majority was beautiful and surprising.
Mike Jensen
Feb 06, 2012 Mike Jensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll be blunt. The poems I understand are wonderful. Those that Cummings made too obscure to understand annoy me. This review could have just as easily been 3 stars, but the book was understandable at the end.
Tripmastermonkey
May 23, 2008 Tripmastermonkey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantics, hippies, funkadelics
Shelves: poetry
i mean, i pick it up, read some, read some more later. i'm pretty sure i've read next to all of them by now. e.e. makes me happy. his wordplay brings a whole new sense of wonder to everyday beauty.
Manny

the layout

is it?
Artemisia
Jan 22, 2012 Artemisia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the trick of finding what you didn't lose
(existing's tricky:but to live's a gift)
the teachable imposture of always
arriving at the place you never left

silently if,out of not knowable
night's utmost nothing,wanders a little guess
(only which is this world)more my life does
not leap than whith the mystery your smile

sings or if(spiraling as luminous
they climb oblivion)voices who are dreams,
less into heaven certainly earth swims
than each my deeper death becomes your kiss

losing through you what seeme
Everett Darling
Nov 07, 2010 Everett Darling rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
While I enjoyed looking at words in a new way, I just cant get into ee cummings, or past nonsense punctuation. A smarter person might clue me into whats with this, more than I can see, beyond fun and playfulness. I mean, I get the birds thing ,;,;,,;, yep, sort of looks like birds on a wire, etc...and the use of pare(importance)ntheses for stress and accents and double meanings, simultinaety, etc...and while I think this is all genius, I am disappointed in the poetry accompanying these little ty ...more
Gemma
Apr 29, 2014 Gemma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read almost all of these at least twice, and what I could understand was really interesting and beautiful. But sometimes it's hard to comb these tangles of words out into coherent ideas.
K8
Mar 19, 2015 K8 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2012, 2009

Favorites:

the first of all my dreams was of

it's so damn sweet when anybody

me up at does out of the floor

why don't be silly

one winter afternoon (at the magical hour when is becomes if)

POEM or the divine right of majorities

silently if, out of not knowable

your homecoming will be my homecoming

a round face near the top of the stairs

nOthIng can surpass the mystery of stillness

Now I lay (with everywhere around

what time is it? it is by every star

without the mercy of your eyes

who are you, little i

of all
Juliet
Jan 12, 2015 Juliet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readitagain, poetry
Liked these more when I was in high school, when it was much easier to be only ebullient, and not to have so many questions about the darker aspects of humanity.
Krystina Bennett
Nov 01, 2010 Krystina Bennett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cummings' style may be strange for some, especially those who don't read a whole lot of poetry, but I admire its uniqueness. Not only does he play with words, but also punctuation and spacing. My favorite is "since feeling is first", where he even plays with the idea of punctuation in words: "and death i think is no parenthesis". He has had an impact on my own poetry, especially where format and line breaks are involved.
Jay
Dec 25, 2012 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never read much Cummings before but I picked this up in a market for 1. I really enjoyed it frankly, though I'm still coming to grips with some aspects of his style. For someone so derided for never advancing his work I think some of these poems benefit hugely from being read aloud - very contemporary for the time they were published if you think about it. "40" is a particular favourite. ...more
Emmy
Feb 21, 2013 Emmy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
e.e. cummings is supposed to be a brilliant and thought-provoking writer. And while I enjoyed reading this collection, I found it a bit labored and confusing. Not terrible, but not my own personal cup of tea. I don't mind poems that take some time to unpack, but at the same time, I would like to read something that made a bit more sense for the first read-through.
Kalin Schoephoerster
There are many of the poems that I did not even bother to unpack of their meanings but there were also many that I liked so much I had to write them down. Many of the poems had delightful syntax. He was certainly a talented man.
Ayne Ray
Nov 17, 2008 Ayne Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
e.e. cummings holds particular appeal to me because he was the first poet I became truly interested in studying; not my favorite now (that honor is a tie between W.B. Yeats and John Donne), but definitely appreciated and admired.
Ellen
Sep 09, 2015 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
so wonderful! i'm working with some people on my art course collaboratively at the moment and we are using writing and this has been a big inspiration. interesting and uplifting :-)
Dec 28, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Stole it from a hostel in Peru, and so far well worth the guilt!

Enjoying this new foray into poetry, a genre that for so long has intimidated the hell outta me. Can{t wait to read more!
Bryce Emley
Jun 04, 2008 Bryce Emley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i think this was posthumous, so i don't know that these were originally to be published. but still marvelously original, he does some very interesting abstract poetry.
Brian
Aug 08, 2013 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I probably liked a greater percentage of these than I did of any recently previous collection of his. It was a good way to go out for him I think.
Colin Bruce Anthes
Probably the worst e.e. cummings I've read.
Terrific.
Clare Holman-Hobbs
A wonderful and experimental collection.
Michael X
More cryptic and unrelenting work from e.e.
Mon
Paulina
Dec 08, 2012 Paulina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
blew my mind.
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
  • Selected Poems
  • B Is for Bad Poetry
  • Dancing with Cats
  • Plath: Poems
  • The Works of William Wordsworth (Wordsworth Collection)
  • Selected Poems, 1966-1987
  • Pity the Bathtub Its Forced Embrace of the Human Form
  • Rilke: Poems (Pocket Poets)
  • The Poems of Robert Browning
Edward Estlin Cummings was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on October 14, 1894. He began writing poems as early as 1904 and studied Latin and Greek at the Cambridge Latin High School.

He received his BA in 1915 and his MA in 1916, both from Harvard University. His studies there introduced him to the poetry of avant-garde writers, such as Gertrude Stein and Ezra Pound.

In 1917, Cummings published a
More about E.E. Cummings...

“nothing”
the unjust man complained
“is just” (“or un-“ the just rejoined.”
7 likes