Start by marking “Devil's Heart” as Want to Read:
Devil's Heart

Devil's Heart

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Francesca D'Oro was just eighteen when darkly sexy Marcos Navarre swept her up the aisle--then fled before the ink on the marriage license had dried. Marcos might have given Francesca a jewel for her finger, but he stole another: the Devil's Heart, a dazzling yellow diamond he believed belonged to his family....Years later, Francesca, no longer so youthfully naive, is dete ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Harlequin Presents (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Devil's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil's Heart

Sandra
THE DEVIL’S HEART by LYNN RAYE HARRIS is about two wonderful and sympathetic lead characters who are both coming to terms with their difficult pasts--hers, a beating and a miscarriage due to a robbery at her store; his, as a kid growing up on the rough streets of Buenes Aires. The author gives us a hero and heroine that you can relate to and want to root for to get their well deserved happy ever after.

Some things I really liked about this book were:

The way the book started--with the heroine hol
Kate
This is one of those books that easily could have been a decades-old run-of-the-mill HP. The plot isn't groundbreaking -- the hero forces the heroine into a new marriage of convenience so he can get back his family jewels (literally, not figuratively) that she stole from him because she needed the money she could get if she sold them. And did I mention that they'd had a day-long unconsummated and annulled marriage eight years earlier; a marriage that ended when he ran off with the jewels from he ...more
Booklover
WOW!wonderful intense emotional second chance at love story,liked the way story develops with tensions drama passion and love blossoms between them,loved both Francesca-Marco both have suffered so much in the past and have their own issues which makes them reluctant to accept their love for each other but Marco takes the leap towards HEA,the way he convinces Francesca is sweet

The sudden marriage announcement by Marco confused me,would have liked more of an insight on Marco's thoughts and feeling
Jane Stewart
Did not finish, read 40%. The writing style rubbed me wrong. I was not enjoying it.

WRITING STYLE:
The writing style was emotional exaggeration - contradictory feelings within the moment. It was too back and forth for me. It didn’t feel logical. It wasn’t real enough. I don’t know what to call this. It’s not purple prose, but it’s something purple. Some examples follow (from pages 66 to 74).

He should be offended, and yet he was mostly amused. He should still be angry, but everything was going his
Kelsey
Thank you Goodreads First Reads! I'll get back to you.

Okay, so I've now finished the book. It was pretty good. I could not decide whether to give it three stars or four. I'll be honest, though: I sat down and read this book the whole way through, so that should count for something. It was a nice distraction from my work.

I loved the first chapter. It instantly sucked you in. Here we have a strong, undeniably masculine character. He knows what he wants. He is ruthless. VERY attractive. And yet, h
RLA
The story begins, rather violently, with the hero Marcos being held at gunpoint in his hotel room by a thief attempting to steal his family heirloom El Corazón del Diablo, a necklace with a large and valuable yellow diamond pendant. The situation causes painful memories of Marcos's past experiences of brutal warfare. What Marcos doesn't realise is that the thief is Francesca, the heroine and the girl he married eight years previously in order to reclaim the diamond, which had fallen into her fat ...more
Lady Ethereal Butterfly
Francesca D'Oro and Marcos Navarre have a past together, and it's not a happy one. When Francesca was 18, her and Marcos had gotten married. Unfortunately he ran off on her and took a rare yellow diamond from her family that he believed belonged to his family. Now that Francesca is older and wiser, she decides it's time to reclaim the yellow diamond and that means facing Marcos once more.

The Devil's Heart is a story of a damaged woman and a damaged man who learn to come to terms with the terrib
HÜLYA
Haziran Harlequinlerden Historical serisinden sonra en begendigim High Life serisi kitabi olan Seytanin Kalbi ve Aşk Hep Vardı
Bu ikili hikaye buram buram Helen Bianchin kokuyordu en azindan ben öyle hissettim.
Iki hikayeyide büyük bir zevk alarak okudum.
Ilk hikayede Seytanın Kalbi denilen ve iki aile icinde büyük bir önemi olan elmas kolyesinin sebep oldugu olaylar vardı.
Francesca d'Oro daha önce aşik olup evlendigi Marcos Navarre'nin dairesine girip bu elması calması ile başlayan olaylari anla
Martha
I liked this book much better than I expected to. Instead of a hero who is unreasonable, arrogant, and used to always getting his own way, I found a hero who had a difficult background to overcome and is somewhat vulnerable because of it; he is still an alpha male but one with a heart and soul. Instead of a heroine who is a pushover or a vamp, I found a heroine who is uncertain of her own worth and is fiercely loyal to those she loves. The two of them together are practically combustible, and I ...more
Vanessa
Alexis-Morgan Roark
Wow! What a goodread. I blasted through this book while waiting on our youngest to fall asleep, and it was worth the discomfort of sitting on the floor.

The only thing that kept this book from being 5 stars for me was the extremely sudden proposal of re-marriage on the part of the hero. Oh, well. Other than that, there was passion, emotion, drama, and some painful real-life issues that earned more than the usual syrupy sweet ending.
Jacqueline
Had a lot of potential for angst and love but somehow just missed the mark for me. To much seemed to happen too soon I guess. I didn't like the hero very well and felt that his atrocious actions in the past were not adequately made up for. There was more story that fit neatly into the small HP format.
Ridley
Oct 23, 2012 Ridley marked it as to-buy-harlequin  ·  review of another edition
I like the cut of the author's jib.
Danielle
Erin
Wow! This is a great HP by the talented Lynn Raye Harris.

The book has a tense and unique opening scene with Marcos being held at gunpoint by a woman who is determined to steal his valuable diamond known as the Devil's Heart. The robber is none other than Francesca, the woman Marcos married at the age of eighteen in order reclaim the Devil's Heart, a jewel he knew rightly belonged to his family.

Marcos easily tracks down Francesca and the diamond, and he blackmails her into marriage. The book is
Nancy Crocker
This is not your usual Harlequin Romance. As both the Hero "Marcos" and Heroine "Francesca" have suffered much grief. The story begins with a thief entering Marcos hotel room at gun point and forcing him to handcuff himself to the headboard of the hotel room bed. This brings back terrible memories of him be held captive, and he swears to get even. The thief leaves with the Corazon del Diablo "The Devil's Heart". The thief - his ex wife of a few hours.

Francesca has stolen The Devil's Heart to se
Crystal
I like a strong character who will take life by the reigns and show it who is boss, and that is exactly what both these lead characters did. What they didn’t know was that life was playing them for the fool, as it led them right back into each other’s arms. I like that even more!

With an action-packed opening chapter I was impressed and drawn in. Throughout the rest of the book there is plenty of conflict between the both main characters, and a hate underlined with a deep physical and emotional p
Cynthia D'Alba
I won this book on a twitter contest and I'm so glad I did. I stopped reading Presents a couple of years ago. I had trouble falling in love with most of the heroes as I found them to be overbearing and brutish. However, I loved this book. Marcos is so sexy. Harris captured the essence of what makes these books work when her heroine, Francesca, tells Marcos that she's a plain Jane, not glamorous like all the women he's dated, and I think that's how most women see themselves...as plain Janes. And ...more
Katherine Bone
The Devil's Heart takes place in Argentina. Francesca D'Oro's gut-wrenching backstory tugged my heart as much as the opening scene held me spellbound. The success of Marcos Navarre's family comes at the cost of Francesca's. And though the two were once married, Francesca and Marcos have to overcome their pasts, if the Corazon del Diablo is ever going to bring them together. Gripping story that supplies a satisfying reward in The End. Well done, Ms. Harris!
Stace
I was happy to win a copy of this book and really impressed the author personalized the autograph. Even though it was still a quick read, the story managed to go a lot deeper than the usual Harlequin romance. Of course you'll get your HEA, but the road to get there has a lot of sorrow and darkness and it made it a much better story. I know I'll be keeping an eye out for more from this author.
Yolanda
Thanks to Goodreads giveaways, I received this autographed copy of a first read. When Francesca D'oro was eighteen years old she married a man she fell in love with, although one-sided and very short lived. They come in contact again years later because of an heirloom both claim belongs to their family. I enjoyed this story, it has a nice easy flow and will read more from this author.
Diane Sallans
I liked it! The writing style had a nice flow, which made it very easy to read. It does have a few sad & serious elements to it, which is a bit unusual for these Harlequin books. I liked how the lead characters actually communicated pretty well fairly early in the book, rather than the formula mis- or non- communication.
Paula Graves
I loved the exciting opening and the way the characters revealed themselves to each other in small, surprising steps. The relationship develops organically and believably. Never once did I wonder why these people wanted to be together, as I've done in other romances. Also really well-written.
Maria Murillo
It was a short and sweet read. From the premise itself I could not tell how Marcos Navarre could possibly explain away stealing a jewel from his recent bride and leaving her immediately. How could those two people reconcile? Leave it to Mrs. Harris to explain it and very well. Great job!
Jess
This falls right in the middle - 2.5/5. It's light, very fast read, nice pacing and story. Very likable. Also, a belated thank you to Lynn for personalizing the book. Very nice touch!
Lee Murphy
I enjoyed this book - very fast paced and exciting. The love interest had just the right combination of conflict and romance.
Mindy/fangedmom
I was just informed that I won this book as part of Goodreads first read program. I am so excited to get it! Thank you!
Pauline
Sometimes you just need to read a Mills and Boon!
Joanne
Fab read, love Lynn Raye Harris!
  • The Sicilian's Christmas Bride
  • A Spanish Awakening
  • Scandal: Unclaimed Love-Child
  • The Return of the Renegade (The Scandalous St. Claires #1)
  • Prince of Scandal
  • Jess's Promise (Secretly Pregnant…Conveniently Wed, #3)
  • Princess From the Past
  • Girl Behind the Scandalous Reputation
  • In Christofides' Keeping (Modern)
  • The Proud Wife
  • Public Wife, Private Mistress (Italian Husbands)
  • An Offer She Can't Refuse
  • A Mistake, a Prince and a Pregnancy
  • The Bride Thief
  • Pregnancy of Revenge
  • Forbidden: The Sheikh's Virgin (Dark-Hearted Desert Men #3)
USA Today bestselling author Lynn Raye Harris burst onto the scene when she won a writing contest held by Harlequin. A former finalist for the Romance Writers of America's Golden Heart Award and the National Readers Choice Award, Lynn lives in Alabama with her handsome former military husband and two crazy cats. Lynn writes about hot military heroes, sizzling international billionaires, and the wo ...more
More about Lynn Raye Harris...
Hot Pursuit (Hostile Operations Team, #1) Hot Mess (Hostile Operations Team, #2) Behind the Palace Walls Strangers in the Desert (The Al Dhakir Brothers #1) Maddie's Marine

“The necklace, Marcos,” she said firmly, leveling the gun at his heart once more. “I’ll take it now.”

“It’s not here, querida. You waste your time.”

Francesca lowered the gun to point at his groin. “Killing you would be too good. Perhaps I will simply have to deprive the female world of your ability to make love ever again. I am quite a good shot, I assure you.”

She’d learned out of necessity. And though she never wanted to harm another human being, she had no compunction about making this man think she would do so if it meant she could save Jacques.

His voice dropped to a growl. A hateful, angry growl. “You won’t get away with this. Whoever you are, Frankie, I will find you. I will find you and make you wish you’d never met me.”

Her heart flipped in her chest. She ignored it. “I already wish that. Now give me the jewel before you lose the ability to ever have children.”

Bitterness twisted inside her as she said those words. Ironic to threaten someone with something she would never wish on another soul. But she had to be hard, cold, ruthless – just like he was.

He stared at her in impotent fury, his jaw grinding, his beautiful black eyes flashing daggers at her. Very slowly, he reached up with one hand and slipped his bowtie free of its knot.

Then he jerked it loose and let it fall.”
2 likes