Start by marking “The King of Plagues (Joe Ledger #3)” as Want to Read:
The King of Plagues (Joe Ledger #3)

The King of Plagues (Joe Ledger #3)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  3,587 ratings  ·  255 reviews
Saturday 09:11 Hours: A blast rocks a London hospital and thousands are dead or injured… 10:09 Hours: Joe Ledger arrives on scene to investigate. The horror is unlike anything he has ever seen. Compelled by grief and rage, Joe rejoins the DMS and within hours is attacked by a hit-team of assassins and sent on a suicide mission into a viral hot zone during an Ebola outbreak ...more
Published March 29th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The King of Plagues, please sign up.

Bradshaw
This is a horrible book. I don't know why I'm reading this.

Now that I've finished it I guess I need to justify that statement.

The first two hundred pages or so is spent setting up the action that will happen in the last two hundred pages or so. When he finally hits the second half the action is non-stop and pretty satisfying. I have to confess that I was glued to the second half of the book once things started to happen. An entire book of this would probably warrant at a 4 star rating from me.
Michael Roop
Sep 22, 2011 Michael Roop rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: fiction
What can I say that hasn't already been said about this book? Nothing much. It lives up to everything good you have heard about it! In more than fifty different ways! Mr. Maberry has a masterful knack of crafting the Joe Ledger series! The pages come to life and you feel the tension around as you read the book. The icy coolness of Mr. Church surrounds you as you read. Rudy lulls you in to the calm cool collectedness he has. Mr. Maberry even found a way to make my heart sink for poor Toys. The ad ...more
Tammy
I loved the Pine Deep Trilogy, Dragon Factory, and Patient Zero. But this book was very disappointing to me -- 2 stars, 2 1/2 stars only because it's Jonathan Maberry. (which may explain what I think is inflated 4.15 star rating for this book).

The writing seemed rushed, almost breathless at times. And certain things that bothered me a little in the other Joe Ledger novels seemed to bother me more. For example, how many times can Rudy Sanchez softly breathe "Dios Mios." And the over-the-top mili
S.D.
Joe Ledger fights more than just your common, everyday criminal. He fought zombies in Patient Zero. A former cop, he is now a member of the elite DMS (Department of Military Science). Villains you thought died in Patient Zero are back to reek havoc. There is a shadow organization called the Seven Kings that has infiltrated just about every part of society all the way to the top. And they are duplicating biblical events, metaphorically, to fulfill their goals. By threatening family and loved ones ...more
Janie Johnson
Another great book in Jonathan Maberry's Joe Ledger Series. This one is book #3 and I totally enjoyed it. I was not sure if I liked the angel Maberry took at first, but the book won me over about a quarter of the way through it. In this one we see a continued attempt at the war on terrorists from Joe and his DMS team. We get introduced to a couple of new faces in this one, Circe who is a doctor and Ghost who is Joe's secret agent dog! I loved them both.

You can't help but like the whole echo team
Jason (RawBlurb)
Due to risk of wanting to shout out plot details, I am going to step away from the keyboard pretty quickly.

Buy all three of these books and let me know what you think of them.
They are worth the time, and are an excellent mixture of thriller/horror/military fiction.

Often times, the sequel in a series of novels is difficult to get through. You are left thinking, “This was not as good as the first” or “this is not how I thought the characters would grow”. You get to the third in a series and hit th
Azel Praer
The Joe Ledger novels are like reading a diehard move that slammed head on into a episode of the x-files.Joe Ledger is the man who gets shit done. a no nonsense hero with bouts of smartass reply's to his boss the mysterious "church". Joe works for the DMS dept of military science a Privately funded government watch dog group that places a well aimed boot up the backside of everyone from mad scientists bent on "cleansing" the earthto supper secret groups that want to unleash plagues that would ma ...more
Dan
Despite the events of The Dragon Factory, Joe Ledger returns for a different kind of mission. There's a huge terrorist attack in London and Ledger and the DMS are on sight to investigate. Soon they realise this is only the beginning as the mysterious Seven Kings plan to recreate the biblical plagues.

This is another great book where nothing is really as it seems. Ledger and the gang are fighting an invisible enemy whose plans are virtually impossible to work out. Sebastian Gault and Toys from Pat
Eve Nolon
IDEK. I keep reading these. This one had a lot of promise as I liked the plagues set-up and the return of two baddies seemed really promising but then it all went to shit. As others have written the constant name-dropping and pop culture references became too much as did the eluding to certain characters as real people. Just not good. But, my main issue is really ---

Ugh! This drives me insane with Maberry novels and I hate that I have to make it plural. Dude cannot keep track of his own internal
Graeme Reynolds
I have to be honest, after reading Jonathan Maberry's earlier books in the series (the fantastic Patient Zero and The Dragon Factory) I was a little disappointed with this book.
It picks up right where the Dragon Factory left off, with Joe Ledger burned out and recuperating in London. When a massive terrorist attack happens, his boss, Mr Church, brings him back to active duty in an attempt to find out who is responsible.

In many respects, this is a fairly solid thriller. As with his other books, t
ZB
The King of Plagues by Jonathan Maberry. This is the third installment in the Joe Ledger series. I listened to the audio version narrated by Ray Porter who is amazing! I have no idea how that guy can have a different voice for all the characters involved. And when he does a woman's voice it sounds like a woman instead of an exaggeration.
The Joe Ledger novels aren't the typical book I'm into with all the black-op special forces and crime solving, but Maberry adds that touch of sci-fi into his n
Vickie
Jonathan Maberry had me at GHOST ROAD BLUES (my review), the Pine Deep Trilogy, and I am now a fan of the Joe Ledger series. I was exhausted after each reading time, so this made for a good bedtime read for that, though it did make for some whack-a-doodle dreams.

The reader's eyes are flying across the page to keep up with quick scene changes and multiple characters, but the quick interludes within the chapters and the thriller storyline makes the pages turn faster and keeps you up way after your
Katie
I have to say, I really love how the author handles women being in the military and especially in Special Forces. Given the demographic of these types of novels, they're not in the forefront of the story (Major Courtland being the exception), but they are treated with the very same respect that the men are. When 'Circe shoots someone for the first time, Joe does not treat her shock as if she were a delicate flower of a woman - he treats her as if she were a human who just took the life of anothe ...more
Alanis Garcia
Great book, even it the title got the King of Pain song stuck in my head.
Good action without making it feel like the hero is a one man army who could take anything including a small nuke.
It does a good job of setting up a followup novel while closing some plot lines.
Richard Radgoski
I love the Joe Ledger Books. That said, I didn't like this one as much as the other two. It seemed to bog down much more and I think it's because instead of staying primarily with Ledger as a POV, we got 47 "interludes" (as opposed to 90+ chapters) where the focus was on the bad guys. I don't care about the bad guys enough to go through that much exposition and my attention waned (enough to take a long break). When Ledger was front and center, the book rocked on like normal. he's been through a ...more
Carol
A London hospital is bombed and thousands of people are killed, incinerated without a chance of escaping. Joe Ledger barely healed from his last mission in "The Dragon Factory", decides to come back and work for the DMS. (Was there any surprise in this?) Joe is back with all his anger intact and exacerbated by the tragic ending of the last book. And he is out for blood ready to kill the parties responsible for this heinous act of violence.

An international group of terrorist hunters gather to try
Julian
Every book in this series is fantastic. I highly recommend everything from Jonathan Maberry. The action is detailed and violent, the baddies are sufficiently nasty and just like every evil empire, there is no honor among thieves. Unlike a lot of books I read that have a great start, a great middle and a poor ending, you can always rely on this author to write a proper sequence of events, resulting in a very satisfying ending. I can't wait for the next one.
Pam
I would like to give this 4 stars, but the cheese-to-action ratio is just a wee bit too high this time. The name-dropping and the (surprisingly)heavy-handed preaching had me rolling my eyes way too often.

That said, I did enjoy the book. It has everything I look forward to and expect when starting a Maberry book, especially the brilliantly written bad guys.
I recommend the audiobook version, btw. Ray Porter does a pretty fantastic job as a narrator.
Zac
I'm a HUGE fan of Maberry's work and I've enjoyed the Ledger series tremendously.

The character of Joe Ledger himself is absolutely enough to carry any story and this is maybe a good example of that; the story itself just did not live up to the first two books. The Evil Genius baddies just weren't up to par from the first two books. Oh sure, they did a lot of damage, but you never got the impression that they were REALLY any match or superior for Joe, Church, and DMS. And, frankly, they just nev
Jason
This was my least favorite of the Joe Ledger novels. The "Interludes" (of which there were nearly 40) jumped back in time several months to help set up the action sequence that began the novel. It totally disrupted the momentum of the book and they became quite preachy/political. Hopefully Joe Ledger #4 works a little better.
Alondra
4 Stars

This story-line is not as action-packed as the previous books in the series, but we get a little more information; which I love. When we get to the action, it is no-holds-barred and bloody. This is just a fun series and this book does not disappoint.

I just love Joe Ledger. I love the series.
Meran
Still another man's book ( noted mostly by the sports cross talk and the prostate jokes… remove some of that and this could be a book those of both sexes could enjoy.. I think he's referenced the O K Corral in all 3 books so far!)

The action starts immediately within pages, a larger action begins and needed like a FPS (first person shooter) and btw, not everyone knows every TLI attached to military gear… writing it out once is customary to help educate the reader.)

Joe Ledger has acquired a white
Ian Cockerill
Still a high octane thrill ride with proper villains, flawed (slightly) heroes and now even a heroic dog. No one could accuse Jonathan Maberry of lacking in commercial sensibilities, but, you know what? The fact it sells means people are enjoying it and I was no exception, yes, there is an element of popcorn and summer blockbuster to the Joe Ledger books, but they satisfy and entertain in equal measure.
This one probably isn't quite up to the first two in the series (albeit holding onto five star
Chris Bauer
Another excellent installment of the Joe Ledger series.

I continue to be impressed by this series. The action is non-stop, high-stakes and original. The characters which were introduced in earlier works continue to grow and develop in completely believable patterns.

One aspect of The King of Plauges which I really enjoyed was that Maberry uses the work as a chance to do "Spring cleaning" in his setting. Mysteries or questions introduced in earlier books are resolved; old enemies with uncertain f
Jack

Maybe these intrigue / spies / terrorists books just aren't for me anymore.
Tobin Elliott
So far at least, I can say that I've never been disappointed by a Maberry novel. I loved his Pine Deep series and the Joe Ledger books are equally as good.

I think the only thing that I'm never wild about is the celebrity name-dropping he's always done. I guess it's part of his schtick, but it's the only thing that tends to annoy me. He did it in the last Pine Deep novel and he did it again at with this one, going so far as to give U2's Bono a small walk-on toward the end. I know why the scene wa
Joseph
Joe Ledger's back in full force, love this guy
Michealbank
Awesome in so many ways!
Paul Torretta
Best of the Series ...
Felicia
Listened for Fun (Audible)
Overall Rating: 4.50
Story Rating: 4.50
Character Rating: 4.50

Audio Rating: 4.50 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: Holy Joe Ledger! The King of Plagues by Jonathan Maberry was packed with action and intrigue.

Overall Thoughts: (Quick Review) The King of Plagues was a little bit detective work and whole lot of kick ass Joe Ledger. OMG Jonathan can write a thriller. Even though I know this always has levels of Fringe, to me these are hands down som
  • Flesh Eaters (Dead World, #3)
  • Thunder and Ashes
  • Monster Hunter Legion (MHI, #4)
  • Zombie Fallout 4: The End Has Come and Gone (Zombie Fallout, #4)
  • The Killing Floor (a novel of The Infection)
  • Red, White, and Blood (Nathaniel Cade #3)
  • Deep Sky (Travis Chase, #3)
  • Rise Again Below Zero (Rise Again, #2)
  • Autumn: Disintegration (Autumn, #4)
  • We're Alive: A Story of Survival, the First Season
  • Kings of the Dead
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning horror and thriller author, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. His books have been sold to more than a dozen countries.

His novels include the Pine Deep Trilogy: GHOST ROAD BLUES (Pinnacle books; winner of the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel in 2006), DEAD
More about Jonathan Maberry...
Rot and Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) Patient Zero (Joe Ledger, #1) Dust and Decay (Benny Imura, #2) Flesh and Bone (Benny Imura, #3) The Dragon Factory (Joe Ledger, #2)

“Church didn't answer that. Instead he said, "The darkness is all around us. Very few people have the courage to light a candle against it."
"I'm not that kind of idealist."
"Nor am I. We are of a kind, Captain, and neither of us is holding a candle against the darkness. Like the unknown and unseen enemy we fight, people like you and me, we are the darkness. In some ways we are more like the things we're fighting than the people we're protecting. Granted our motives are better--from our perspective--but we wait in the shadows for our unseen enemy to make a move against those innocents with candles. And by that light we take aim.”
1 likes
“I work at T-Town, which is about ninety-nine percent men, and all of them either are alpha personalities or think they are. That said, what we have here is the standard dynamic for sexual tension. I'm moderately good-looking. I have big boobs, and I get hit on by everyone from the pastor of my church to baristas at Starbucks, and by every single guy at T-Town except for my boss and the range master. I don't blame them and I don't judge them. It's part of the procreative drive hardwired into us, and we haven't evolved as a species far enough exert any genuine control over the biological imperative. You, on the other hand, are a very good-looking man of prime breeding age. Old enough to have interesting lines and scars--and stories to go with them--and young enough to be a catch. You probably get laid as often as you want to, and you can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of times women have said no to you. Maybe--and please correct me if I've strayed too far into speculation--being an agent of a secret government organization has led you to buy into the superspy sex stud propaganda perpetuated by James Bond films."
"My name is Powers," I said. "Austin Powers."
She ignored me and plowed ahead. "We're in the middle of a crisis. We may have to work closely together for several days, or even several weeks. Close-quarters travel, emotions running high, all that. If it's all the same to you, I'd rather not spend the next few days living inside a trite office romance cliche. That includes everything from mild flirtation to sexual innuendo and double entendre and the whole ball of wax."
She sipped her Coke. The ball landed in my court with a thump.”
1 likes