Start by marking “Five Little Ducks” as Want to Read:
Five Little Ducks

Five Little Ducks

First published in 1989, this charming Raffi Songs to Read/reg/ has fresh appeal as a board book that the youngest child can hold. With sweet illustrations by veteran children's book artists Jose Aruego and Ariane Dewey, this lovely counting song will invoke squeals of delight from babies and toddlers. They'll love counting down as first five little ducks, then four, then ...more
Board Book, 32 pages
Published March 2nd 1999 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Five Little Ducks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Little Ducks

Rocheal Hoffman
Great photos accompany the ever-popular children's song Five Little Ducks. Children may like to predict what they think will happen next, and they may enjoy counting the ducks on the pages. Reinforces quantity for the youngest students.
Karawan
Sep 13, 2016 Karawan rated it really liked it
I think most people are familiar with the Five Little Ducks tune, which is pretty catchy in my humble opinion. It's good for practicing numbers. In this particular version, each duckling is a different color so it's also good for talking about colors. I know that some people are concerned about the message of the mother duck losing all her babies one at a time before she can figure out how to get them back. But I feel like this book puts a twist on it that allows you to feel good about those dis ...more
Nov 14, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This book (and accompanying song) is about a family of ducklings who goes out every day, and returns to their mother one sibling short. At the end of the story the lonely mother duck goes out to find all of her ducklings returned, along with their spouses and children. This book could be used to teach counting and one-to-one correspondence, and could be easily adapted to provide children with opportunities to participant (e.g., hand motions, taking ducks off of a hand puppet.
Marela Carmenaty
Mar 09, 2016 Marela Carmenaty rated it it was amazing
The book is a simple nursery rhyme, for infants and toddlers. It includes numbers that help children with their math skills like counting. The book has repetitive sentences. The illustrations are colorful, and sequenced and helps children study the book. The book shows figurative language that will engage children in making sounds.
Cara
Mar 24, 2016 Cara rated it really liked it
My son loves this book. He's just beginning to read and the words that he can't remember he can figure out by looking at the pictures.
We read this more as a book instead of a song, but he loves it just the same.
The pictures are great. He loves the colors. A happy ending is good too.
Olivia Brown
This is a cute book to help teach your little ones how to count down. With simple drawings and repetitive rhyming this is a simple book that you can easily catch onto.

When reading engage the children more. Make sure you are looking up at them and leading them to say it with you!
Oct 25, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Raffi was a part of my childhood and is now part of my daughter's as well. Plus, he just came out with a new album! Anyway, this book is colorful and fun and doesn't need the music to be enjoyed. My 2 yo loves it!
Kaelyn Wickline
Apr 07, 2016 Kaelyn Wickline rated it really liked it
a great counting book for young children to help learn to count down from 5. with great illustration it is a go to book that is simple to understand while still holding their attention.
Leah
Sad mother duck looks so sad in this version of 5 little ducks! Unfortunately, the format and illustration style doesn't lend itself well to storytime.
jacky
Nov 07, 2013 jacky rated it really liked it
This seemed like the perfect book selection for Natalie: She loves her ducks in the bath, she says quack, and she loves her "Wheels on the Bus" Raffi book. But, she has no interest in this one. I must say that I have mixed feelings about the song. I like singing the quacks, but I don't like that it takes the momma duck five missing baby ducks before she goes looking for them. I wasn't a huge fan of the illustrations in this on. I would have preferred more realistic ducks, instead of rainbow colo ...more
Jenny D
Jun 23, 2011 Jenny D added it
Shelves: ece-6391-6392
This story (also a children’s song) introduces students to the concept of subtraction. Give students small cut-outs of the ducklings and have them follow along throughout the story. Then, go through again, this time using mathematical symbols to represent what is happening, showing students the math sentences. Then, use the duck cut-outs to see what other math sentences can be created using 5 ducklings.
Scott Roark
Nov 13, 2011 Scott Roark rated it it was ok
This book uses subtraction on a beginner level. Counts down from 5 then no ducks are around their mom. After winter and into spring, she goes looking for them and finds them with their mates and their own children. Book could be used to review subtraction or could be read backwards for addition. Doubles could be introduced to show how the children ducks doubled when they found a mate.
Felicia
Jun 26, 2012 Felicia rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think this is a positive version of the classic. Instead of mama duck just being negligent, or the ducks not coming back until a papa duck call them, they come back at the end with families of their own. Leave and cleave, baby.
Sharon
Jun 29, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing
A first favorite. This was one of the first songs Danny learned to sing. He read the book to shreds, and we had to throw it out. He still loves to dance around naked singing this song (and he taught Tommy, too).
Tommy
Jan 06, 2014 ولاء درويش rated it liked it
funny one .. i liked it :D
Julie Surface
Dec 10, 2014 Julie Surface rated it liked it
not what i expected. it was an okay book about five duckies and they got lured by a fox.
Megan
This is a good book to be used with counting. It has a good ryhme to it and after readig it few times children will most likely pick up on it and be saying it with you.
Paula
Read for Early Headstart 4.17.2014.
Read for Headstart 4.24.2014.

It's funny that I read this book 2 years later to the date.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
May 27, 2011 Little Miss and the Legomeister rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books
I enjoy this one. Sometimes we read and sometimes we sing. I like how the ducks' expressions communicate their feelings.
Paula
Sep 22, 2011 Paula rated it liked it
The famous song set to illustrations, it even has the notes for the song in the back of the book
Rebecca
Mar 05, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Love the book, love to sing the song, sometimes sing it in my head all night long.
Maren Prestegaard
Feb 02, 2013 Maren Prestegaard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-books
a little late to the game on this one. just doesn't capture her attention.
Sylvester
2* art
3* words/song

Squirt loves action songs, so this is an obvious hit.
Molly
Apr 18, 2016 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
This is a fun board book version of the classic Raffi song.
Jenny
Apr 26, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
A fun book to read with our set of rubber duckies.
Ellen
Nov 14, 2008 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-to-sing
I love Raffi, and Jose Aruego's illustrations are fun.
Corinne
May 07, 2008 Corinne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: infants
Shelves: board-books
Easy reading book. Not crazy about the illustrations.
  • The Lady with the Alligator Purse
  • One Duck Stuck
  • If You Were My Bunny
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Miss Mary Mack