Start by marking “Five Little Ducks” as Want to Read:
Five Little Ducks

Five Little Ducks

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  26 reviews
First published in 1989, this charming Raffi Songs to Read/reg/ has fresh appeal as a board book that the youngest child can hold. With sweet illustrations by veteran children's book artists Jose Aruego and Ariane Dewey, this lovely counting song will invoke squeals of delight from babies and toddlers. They'll love counting down as first five little ducks, then four, then ...more
Board Book, 32 pages
Published March 2nd 1999 by Crown Books for Young Readers (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Five Little Ducks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Little Ducks

Rocheal Hoffman
Great photos accompany the ever-popular children's song Five Little Ducks. Children may like to predict what they think will happen next, and they may enjoy counting the ducks on the pages. Reinforces quantity for the youngest students.
Karawan
I think most people are familiar with the Five Little Ducks tune, which is pretty catchy in my humble opinion. It's good for practicing numbers. In this particular version, each duckling is a different color so it's also good for talking about colors. I know that some people are concerned about the message of the mother duck losing all her babies one at a time before she can figure out how to get them back. But I feel like this book puts a twist on it that allows you to feel good about those dis ...more
Julie Surface
not what i expected. it was an okay book about five duckies and they got lured by a fox.
Molly
This is a fun board book version of the classic Raffi song.
jacky
This seemed like the perfect book selection for Natalie: She loves her ducks in the bath, she says quack, and she loves her "Wheels on the Bus" Raffi book. But, she has no interest in this one. I must say that I have mixed feelings about the song. I like singing the quacks, but I don't like that it takes the momma duck five missing baby ducks before she goes looking for them. I wasn't a huge fan of the illustrations in this on. I would have preferred more realistic ducks, instead of rainbow colo ...more
Jenny D
Jun 23, 2011 Jenny D added it
Shelves: ece-6391-6392
This story (also a children’s song) introduces students to the concept of subtraction. Give students small cut-outs of the ducklings and have them follow along throughout the story. Then, go through again, this time using mathematical symbols to represent what is happening, showing students the math sentences. Then, use the duck cut-outs to see what other math sentences can be created using 5 ducklings.
Scott Roark
This book uses subtraction on a beginner level. Counts down from 5 then no ducks are around their mom. After winter and into spring, she goes looking for them and finds them with their mates and their own children. Book could be used to review subtraction or could be read backwards for addition. Doubles could be introduced to show how the children ducks doubled when they found a mate.
Heather Colacurcio
(Ages 2+) Children familiar with the song will enjoy seeing the illustrations. Those who are not yet familiar with quickly become acquainted with this classic, which offers a lot of oppurtunites for children to interact. Children in my library program really enjoyed counting down the ducks and joining in for the "quack-quacks".
Felicia
I think this is a positive version of the classic. Instead of mama duck just being negligent, or the ducks not coming back until a papa duck call them, they come back at the end with families of their own. Leave and cleave, baby.
Sharon
A first favorite. This was one of the first songs Danny learned to sing. He read the book to shreds, and we had to throw it out. He still loves to dance around naked singing this song (and he taught Tommy, too).
Tommy
Danny
ولاء درويش
funny one .. i liked it :D
Megan
This is a good book to be used with counting. It has a good ryhme to it and after readig it few times children will most likely pick up on it and be saying it with you.
Paula
Read for Early Headstart 4.17.2014.
Read for Headstart 4.24.2014.

It's funny that I read this book 2 years later to the date.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
I enjoy this one. Sometimes we read and sometimes we sing. I like how the ducks' expressions communicate their feelings.
Paula
The famous song set to illustrations, it even has the notes for the song in the back of the book
Rebecca
Love the book, love to sing the song, sometimes sing it in my head all night long.
Maren Prestegaard
a little late to the game on this one. just doesn't capture her attention.
Sylvester
2* art
3* words/song

Squirt loves action songs, so this is an obvious hit.
Jenny
A fun book to read with our set of rubber duckies.
Ellen
I love Raffi, and Jose Aruego's illustrations are fun.
Corinne
May 07, 2008 Corinne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: infants
Shelves: board-books
Easy reading book. Not crazy about the illustrations.
Kathrine Rogers
Counting Week
Shareena
Song and rhyme
Muriel
Muriel marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Lady with the Alligator Purse
  • One Duck Stuck
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Miss Mary Mack
  • Hello, Day!
  • Peek-a-Zoo!
  • Ten Little Fish
  • Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree
  • If You Were My Bunny
  • Lunch
  • The Itsy Bitsy Spider
  • Have You Seen My Duckling?
  • Heads
  • This Jazz Man
  • Here Are My Hands
  • The Wheels on the Bus
  • Over in the Meadow
  • School Bus
Wheels on the Bus Baby Beluga Down by the Bay Shake My Sillies Out Spider on the Floor