Start by marking “The Digital Diet: The 4-step plan to break your tech addiction and regain balance in your life” as Want to Read:

We all know someone who needs a digital diet.

Technology has overwhelmed our daily lives to the point of constant distraction. Many of us can no longer focus on a single task or face-to-face conversation without wanting to reach out—or retreat—to the virtual world every few minutes.

Science and technology reporter and recovering digital addict Daniel Sieberg has devised a
Published May 3rd 2011 by Harmony (first published April 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Digital Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Digital Diet

David
Aug 27, 2011 David rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tech correspondent for CBS and CNN decided to break away from some of his gadgets (apparently at his wife's insistence) and has written up his plan as advice for others to follow.

Very little evidence anybody else has used the plan to good effect, making me wonder what the standards are for writing an entire book about your proposed intervention.

Unctuous, cutesy writing style -- for example, he recommends as a useful gadget to own "Clocky" a little alarm clock with rubber wheels --- "when it's ti
Sketching Girl
This is a fantastic book, it is written in an easy to read conversational style. You could be talking with your best friend. I got this book out of the library because I thought I, and my entire family, could do with cutting down how much time we spend on the computer. This book is perfect for that. It really gets you thinking about the effect all this technology (in all it's forms: Computer, Smart phone, ipod, MP3 player, etc.) has on you and your day to day life. It makes you think how much yo ...more
Katya
Dec 28, 2016 Katya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Я очень давно пытаюсь структурировать свой электронный день. Я ооочень зависима от гаджетов (3 телефона, 2 дополнительных зарядки, Kindle, iPad, ноутбук). Помимо гаджетов у меня 7 эл. адресов, Facebook х3 (личный и 2 рабочих), Instagram х2 (личный и рабочий), Twitter, WhatsApp, Telegram. Последние три недели не проверяю почту после 9 вечера и вот реально ничего не произошло.

Моментальное реагирование на сообщения приводит к эффекту сжимания времени.

Тратить время на книгу не нужно. Краткий смысл
Sylvain
Jan 09, 2013 Sylvain rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author tells us how he was spending too much time on social networks and it was hurting his relationships. He thus decided to do a drastic digital diet to try to reconnect with his friends and family. In this book, he offers some guidance on how and why we should question our usage of technologies.

Some of it is interesting, but I think some of the chapters could have been removed (particularly when listing apps you could use on your phone, or on the web). I would not recommend this book.
Marija
May 26, 2011 Marija rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this would be a good follow-up to Sherry Turkle's "Alone Together," but it wasn't. Aside from advocating a "diet" of a certain number of online/connected minutes per day, his solution is not so much to simplify but to use even more online tools and apps to be more productive in shorter time.
Jeffrey
Jul 25, 2011 Jeffrey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing spectacular or particularly insightful, but it was quick. None of the gimmicks or exercises are very valuable, everything just revolves around making conscious choices instead of jumping at every ding, vibration, or flashing light that the nearest gadget gives off.
Crystal
So even though the "diet" isn't well fleshed out or organized, the ideas in this book made sense to me. I've been questioning my reliance on gadgets and social media and such, and this helped me make some decisions that make me feel a bit better about it.
Daniel Lee
So so. The book asks important questions and encourages having better technology choices to live better. People don't need a detox like the author suggests. They need to ask the question why. People aren't "addicted" to Facebook or technology. It's the symptom of a larger problem.
Petrina
Aug 18, 2013 Petrina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book provides good insight, and while I didn't actually follow the plan structured by the author, it did challenge me to think about how I could place more control in my hands and re-evaluate the tech addictions I do have.
Eric
Mar 17, 2015 Eric rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It was quick, had some good ideas but reading other people's reviews after the fact rings true. I would just skip this but it is short and easy.
Rosemary Gunn
Aug 11, 2011 Rosemary Gunn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! So reassuring to know that I'm not the only one struggling with finding a balance amid all the technology.
Denis
Jul 28, 2015 Denis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Идеи интересны, но порой все сводится к таким давно известным вещам.
Примеры интересны, но все растянуто.
Karim
Karim rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2014
Hich
Hich rated it it was ok
Jun 29, 2015
Maral Berikbolova
Maral Berikbolova rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2016
Maxum Jazz
Maxum Jazz rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
May 23, 2014
Irene
Irene rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2012
Sharada Prasad CS
Sharada Prasad CS rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2012
Blair Slavin
Blair Slavin rated it did not like it
May 18, 2014
Mbstrongman
A quick read. I picked up a few tips on using technology.
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2013
Kani
Kani rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2011
Roman
Roman rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Hanna
Hanna rated it did not like it
Aug 02, 2013
Dacota
Dacota rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2016