Fiona Range

Fiona Range

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  518 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Abandoned by her young mother, unsure of her father's identity, and raised by her prominent aunt and uncle near Boston, thirty-year-old Fiona Range has developed a high threshold for emotional pain. Her recklessness, generosity, and poor judgment have landed her in more scrapes than her affluent family-or small-town community-can tolerate. Beautiful, volatile and smart-ton...more
Published July 1st 2001 by Penguin Books (first published May 8th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Fiona Range, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fiona Range

Darryl Mexic
***** “Fiona Range” by Mary McGarry Morris – Fiona Range is the heroin of the novel of the same name. She is a fascinating character, who is somewhat out of control, the black sheep of her family, a bit of a slut, easy to upset, hard to embarrass, and often wishing she were not as she is. Fiona is beautiful, sexy, a waitress in a diner, and as the novel opens she was recently thrown out of her aunt and uncle’s home, where she was raised, for having finally gone too far. Her equally beautiful and...more
Larissa
Ugh. Not a single likable character, uninspired writing, tired storyline. I liked "Songs in Ordinary Time", but this one couldn't end quickly enough for me. Thumbs down.
Bonnie Brody
As this novel opens, Fiona Range wakes up with a strange man in her bed. She had been very drunk the night before and can't remember what happened. As she sees this man leave her apartment, she realizes it is the husband of one of her friends - a friend who just had a baby yesterday. Fiona just can't seem to get her life straight. She is desperately lonely and doesn't know how to fit in.

She was raised by an aunt and uncle. Her mother deserted her when she was an infant and Fiona has always felt...more
Clare
Fabulous! Like her book "Songs in Ordinary Time," Morris does a superb job of getting into the heads of her characters. The suspense builds & you can't put this book down...What will Fiona do next?

Here's what ReadingGroupGuides.com has to say about Fiona Range:
Erin
Loved this book. Loved. I got Fiona. I'm sure many would find her unlikable but I totally got her. I was completely captivated by her story. It moved along very rapidly, for me, but there were the quiet and reflective moments where Fiona was doing a little self-examination that really resonated with me. Fantastic book. I couldn't put it down.
Beth
I just finished this book last night at about 2 in the morning. I don't really know what to say about this book, it didn't really leave me with any feelings good or bad. I think that the story was fairly ineresting and I enjoyed watching the main character, Fiona Range, as she struggles with her life. Nothing ever seems to go right for her be it with men, her job, her "father", or her family. She is living in a small town where everybody seems to know everything about everybody but nobody wants...more
Carol Brill
Really admired the character development.after meeting a character just once, most were unique enough to be recognizable. The first 100 or so pages and last 50 really hooked me and kept me turning pages. The middle not so much, felt redundant as characters behaved the same way again, and again, and again.
Shyla
I finished this a while ago but I do remember that I liked it. I loved Fiona's just put it out there attitude. She is one of the most mixed up, self destructive and fly off the handle characters I have read about and yet still felt sympathy for. Fiona focused so much on the all the wrong things in her life instead of embracing the good. She was always ready to step into a bad sitiation but usually she was trying to make things right, even if it sledom turned out that way. Her family upset me ver...more
Carrie
if i could i would of given the book 3.5 stars...the story definitely kept my attention and interest, most of her books do. Fiona is a 30 year old woman with lots of issues, and rightly so, she's the niece of one of the powerful families in the small town, and all of her cousins are doing their best at being responsible adults, she is working at a coffee shop and seems to always be in trouble. Fiona wakes up with a naked man in her bed the morning the book starts, what's not to like? the charact...more
Jean
Fiona Range lives in a small town where everyone knows (or thinks they do) what everyone else is doing. She was raised by her well-respected aunt and uncle after her unwed mother leaves town without her. Fiona, in her thirties, has not yet come to terms with this abandonment or given up on her quest to find and forge a relationship with her father. Her behavior is so self-destructive at times that you want to slap her but she is still a likeable character. One plows through this book, cringing,...more
Lisa
I read Fiona Range years ago, and it was well worth the second reading. Fiona Range is a trainwreck waiting to happen, and she derails herself time and time again. But as often as she derails herself, she is also sent off track by what seems to be everyone around her. Her impulsive nature is frightening, as her actions make her seem like she has no moral compass. But it's exactly the opposite as she tries to continually get her life on back on track and keep it there. Well worth a read...and a r...more
Tejka
At first I thought it will be one of those books that start with a main character hitting the bottom and then rising through the book... Well, this main character just kept digging herself in the dirt. But it was a good book to read, just realizing how not every life can be predictibly set and lived upon the expectations of the people in the small towns. It did leave me a bit depressed and feeling morbid from day to day. I'm happy I finished it and am looking for a more sunny read now.
Cheryl
A compelling, fast read. I always like books with a large cast of quirky characters. Some of these characters irritated me at times, but they were certainly interesting. Also, Morris often gives too much "captain obvious" explanations. I'm like "I get it! I get why she feels that way! You don't have to tell me!" Overall, though, it's pretty fun if you are looking for some no brainer escapism (as I often am).
Krizia Anna
This is a book that is a waste of time. I hated Fiona. She was a BRAT, BITCH, SLUT, STUPID and KNOW-IT-ALL. The book has a lot of awkward conversations and stupid characters. Sometimes I can't even understand what's going on. I feel like I'm going stupid. The plot was linear and full of temper tantrums by the always angry Fiona. She needs to go to Anger Management classes. Don't ever read this!
Fiona
This is a book I return to time and again. Fiona's story is poignant, compelling, and a sharp reminder about the skeletons in anyone's closet. Being inside Fiona's head is a treat, truly insightful about a woman who's managed to turn her life into a train wreck - but perhaps she can still turn it around, even as she learns some shocking things about her own personal history?
Lois
Engrossing plot in a well-written book that shows that making people think you're good can have as serious or even more serious consequences than acting out. Who were the real villans--Fiona, who in her quest to feel loved and accepted, made bad choices, or her prominent aunt and uncle who kept the truth of her birth parents from her for 30 years?
Kim
This book tells the story of Fiona Range, a rebellious, self-destructive young woman in search of herself. She decides cruel and unstable Patrick Grady is her father, which he repeatedly denies. He ends up leading her to the truth about her family. This book is funny and very dark at the same time. Still, I enjoyed it.
Melanie Guerra
completly engrossing - i picked it up at a used bookstore, just kind of on a whim, and ended up not putting it down all weekend. fantastic tale - a mosaic of raw emotion and irrationality created in one victim of a dysfunctional family's fight to appear "normal" at any cost.
Leslie R
I adore Mary McGarry Morris...her books are very disturbing and this ine is, as well. Most of her books I give 5 stars to. This one I liked somewhat less- it is was little predictable but her writing is excellent
Ashley
Loved this book...sadly, maybe because I was able to relate so well to it's main character Fiona. Read it so long ago I don't remember how it turned out, but would definately recommed it and read it again.
Tristy
I really had a rough time with this book. I hated every character and while I hoped for some kind of growing and transformation of our main heroine, it just never happened - she stays stuck and broken and sad.
Allthatjazzhd
Every slightly lost twenty-something woman should read this. Told as simply and beautifully as Morris is known for, you become engrossed in Fiona's struggles yet aren't always on her side...
Heather
I found this book incredibly frustrating...the main character annoyed me and felt like a lot of the book could have been cut down but it was interesting enough to keep me intrigued and finish
Abby
Oct 23, 2011 Abby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Abby by: college bookstore
I reread this yesterday after finding it cheap at a used bookstore. I havd read it in college and it stuck with me. Not quite as good as I remembered, but still a great story.
Alyson
Another masterpiece by Morris. This book is about a very troubled woman in her early 30s. It is such a well-written look into this woman's world.
Carly Clem
Wow, what a screw-up the main character is. She only has 100 pages left to redeem herself, or to fall even harder.
Nannette
i connected with this read on a bunch of different levels which will have you wondering about me if you ever read it
Kristin Millward-Anastas
The story jumps around and the main character gets tiresome after the first 50 pages and the first 5 temper tantrums.
Jody
This book could have been written with 200 fewer pages. Good story, but it dragged on and on and on.
leigh
This author will always get 5 stars from me. I simply love her characters and their stories.
  • Sweet and Vicious
  • Picturing Will
  • The Best American Essays 2006
  • The Africa House: The True Story of an English Gentleman and His African Dream
  • The Professor's Daughter
  • The Art of the Short Story
  • Comfort and Joy
  • The Liberated Bride
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. E: The Victorian Age
As the author of several novels, Mary McGarry Morris has received considerable attention from critics and readers, as well as from prestigious awards panels.
Her books are noted for their depictions of mentally and emotionally impaired individuals who have difficulty coping with an inhospitable world.
As New York Times Book Review contributor Alice McDermott put it, “Morris does not devise plots,...more
More about Mary McGarry Morris...
Songs in Ordinary Time The Lost Mother Light from a Distant Star A Dangerous Woman The Last Secret