Start by marking “The Brothers of Baker Street” as Want to Read:
The Brothers of Baker Street

The Brothers of Baker Street (Baker Street Letters #2)

3.49  ·  Rating Details ·  1,172 Ratings  ·  226 Reviews

The second in a highly original and absolutely marvelous series about two brother lawyers who lease offices on London's Baker Streetand begin receiving mail addressed to Sherlock Holmes

When brothers Reggie and Nigel Heath choose 221B Baker Street as the location for their law office, they don’t expect that their new office space would come with one huge stipulation, answ

Audiobook, 0 pages
Published March 1st 2011 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published February 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Brothers of Baker Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brothers of Baker Street

Jessie
I really wish this series was better, because the premise is great ... terms of the lease of the second story of the 200 block of Baker Street mandate that the tenant reply with a form letter to all mail addressed to Sherlock Holmes.

Our "heros" are British brothers who are lawyers and who have various personal issues. The first book, The Baker Street Letters, takes place mostly in Los Angeles. This second book concerns a descendant of Moriarity. Both books start off promising and are pretty disa
Cherie
Jun 25, 2014 Cherie rated it really liked it
Second books can be a little trying. If I fall in love with the characters in the first book, I want more of them. If the story in the first book got my interest right away, had a nice pace and good ending, I want more!

I was happy to find that this second story was as good. It met my criteria to keep reading. Now, it is all about finding out what Reggie and his actress girlfriend are going to go in the next.

Nigel played a bigger part in this story, which was set three weeks after the first one.
Quillracer
Mar 10, 2013 Quillracer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the series.

I read the first one several years ago and, while my memory of it is a little hazy, I recall I enjoyed it. This entry was much better, had me turning pages to see what happened next. I burned through it in less than a day.

The overall premise is an intersting twist on the Sherlock Holmes saga. Instead of trying to update Holmes to a modern man or crank out further 'adventures' for the great detective, Robertson has two brothers leasing law offices at 221B Bak
Jill Hutchinson
The premise of this series is fun and clever....two barrister brothers have their chambers at 221-B Baker Street, one of fiction's most celebrated addresses and they must deal with boxes full of letters that they receive addressed to Sherlock Holmes. They pay little or no attention to them until one catches their eye which threatens to kill one of the brothers to avenge the death of the writer's forefather, Professor Moriarity who was Holmes' most dangerous enemy, and the game is afoot.

I should
Susan
Dec 02, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I enjoyed this one much more than the first entry in the series. It still holds a very loose connection to Sherlock Holmes - merely borrowed his famous address and nemesis's name - but this story was pretty good and took place in London.

Even though there were way too many coincidences to make this story plausible, I still enjoyed the journey the two brothers took to solve the mystery.

This being said, I think Reggie doesn't have the smarts his brother, Nigel, does and thereby gets pretty b
Sam
Oct 01, 2015 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-own
This is a really light and fun Sherlock Holmes-inspired series. The second book was just as enjoyable as the first and if you're looking for a fast, easy mystery series to get into, I'd definitely recommend this one.
Trish
Jan 01, 2017 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I find Reggie and Nigel Heath to be most appealing and the mystery in this one I thought was well done. Can't wait to get the next one!
Jgrace
The Brothers of Baker Street (Baker Street Letters, #2) by Michael Robertson

The Brothers of Baker Street - Michael Robertson
Audio performance by Simon Vance
4 stars

This one was fun. It’s a good contemporary mystery with a bit of a Holmesian twist. It is the second book in a series about a pair of London barristers who happen to have offices with the same address as the fictional Sherlock Holmes. The lease for the office includes a clause that all mail addressed to Mr. Holmes will be answered with a dismissive form letter.

But, what should be done when someone writes
Rebecca
Sep 06, 2011 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I might have liked this book better if I'd read the prequel first. Robertson didn't spend a lot of time explaining the characters or what had happened before--he just plunged in and, on a number of pages, I felt pretty lost.

The idea is great. Two brothers open a legal office at 221 B Baker Street and, as part of their lease, have to answer letters addressed to Sherlock Holmes. I also liked the plot line here about the attempt to make Cabbies buy GPS tracking systems. That I haven't seen
Albert
Sep 22, 2011 Albert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a big Sherlock Holmes fan and Conan Doyle was one of the first authors I ever read and then went back to read some more. So I actually enjoy seeing new and established writers of our era tackle the world of Holmes and London mysteries and the mystique that goes with Baker Street. So you see, I really wanted to like this book.
But I am afraid I cannot say that found the story or the characters of this tale the least bit entertaining or worthy the tie in, however loosely done, to Baker Street
Erin
Apr 13, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't thrilled with the first book in this series (this is the second) but someone told me they get better. I decided to try the second because I REALLY wanted to like the first. Two brothers take up law offices at 221B Baker Street and as part of their lease they must answer letters addressed to Sherlock Holmes. I realized I didn't like the first as much because it largely took place in L.A. This made no sense in a Sherlock Holmes tribute type of novel.

The second was all Britain: black cabs,
Barb Moore
Apr 28, 2011 Barb Moore rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Nice premis--two brothers, one a solicitor, one a barrister, lease 221B Baker Street as their office. As a stipulation of their lease, they are required to send a form letter--and ONLY that form letter--in response to any letters sent to Sherlock Holmes. However, the two become embroiled in mysteries presented by those who correspond with the fictional detective. I would definitely read more in this series--I liked the characters, the relationships and the Holmes tie-in.
Ivy
Mar 15, 2011 Ivy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books-read
This is book 2 of the series and having not read the first book in the series I was not sure what to expect. I found it to be slow in spots and boring in others. It did not seem to come together at all. It took forever for anything to happen and when it did it was still not exciting enough to make me want to find the first book to read it to see what I had missed. There was more about the relationship between a couple of the main characters love life then there was about the mystery.
Debbie
Light read...but not as billed. I didn't find it Holmesian at all...and as a mystery too much is left out to figure it out yourself.

After I started reading, I noticed it's a "second", but too much of it refers to the first. If the reader hadn't read the first (like me) there were continuing references that made no sense...kind of like when you have a conversation with someone who thinks you already know what they are talking about.
Becca
May 14, 2011 Becca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2010
Not good. Perhaps an interesting premise (lawyer brothers whose practice is at 221b Baker street and are contractually obligated to answer mail they get addressed to Sherlock Holmes) but the plot was weak, far fetched and not really in the Holmsian tradition nor was it an interesting enough twist on it. Plus the writing was disjointed and the characters pretty weak an not likable. There you have it!
Amanda
Mar 06, 2011 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I thought the story would focus on Reggie solving a case from one of the letters written to Sherlock Holmes. Instead, it seemed to spend most of the time focused on his ex? girlfriend and her sleazy new boyfriend. I gave up halfway through
Lynn Kearney
2.5 I'm getting tired of the re-working of the Sherlock Holmes saga - except for Laurie R. King whom I like. Maybe I should get back to the originals.
Larry Hostetler
Jan 03, 2017 Larry Hostetler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
With the obvious advantage and baggage of association with Sherlock Holmes this book was my first introduction to this author and inchoate series. I was neither disappointed nor excited.

The book is an amazingly quick read. With a holiday and no interest in what was on television and no other plans I embarked on reading this book. I finished the same day. Not that it's a page-turner. At times I was distracted from reading by the plot twists. Some were a little too obvious while others a little to
Kandice
This book had slightly more of a tie-in to Sherlock Holmes than the first in the series. After having read two of the Baker Street mysteries, I find this very slim thread tying Robertson's books to the mythic canon of Holmes to be a distraction more than an enhancement. That said, this book did make more of an attempt to build on that connection than the first. And none of that takes away from the fact that Robertson writes an enjoyable book and a mystery that will hold your attention. As long a ...more
Brooke
Dec 23, 2016 Brooke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun bit of fluff. I learned a lot about London's Black Cabs and the people who drive them. There was one pretty decent twist early on. Nothing spectacular, but entertaining.
Kristie Kirkpatrick
Very original premise. Added the rest of the series to my list
Adrianne Adelle
Pretty good as a mystery goes. It was pretty good!
Barbara
After dragging through my last book, I was very happy to have something completely lightweight and superquick. I was hesitant to even read this; after I got it home from the library, I was disappointed to find this was the second book in a series. As a girl who hates to start anything in the middle and refuses to listen to a single spoiler, I went back and forth on whether or not to just take it back and get the first. However, I'm glad I bit the bullet and just went through with it.

Reggie Heath
MJ
Excellent although it seemed to be rushed at the end.
Cate
Apr 04, 2011 Cate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sequel to "Baker Street Letters" where Reggie and Nigel Heath are contractually obligated to archive and reply to letters delivered to the law offices addressed to "Sherlock Holmes." Because their offices would encompass the famous fictional address, and people cannot be persuaded that Holmes was never real.

As the book opens, Reggie has lost his personal fortune and his legal reputation as a result of the events of the previous book. He has only one employee in his chambers and no legal work. Ni
Jessica
For all the kudos it received, this book lagged, and I didn't finish reading it. Stopped 3/4 of the way through, and wished I hadn't wasted the time on an audio...Characters and their relationship with each other were incongruous. The mystery itself wasn't enough to hold one's attention. I may be spoiled by my favorite authors!
Emmy
Oct 28, 2013 Emmy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
After reading The Baker Street Letters, I was super-excited to dive into book #2, The Brothers of Baker Street. Of course, there was also the concern that perhaps Michael Robertson was nothing more than a one-trick pony, and he had used up his best material in book one.

NOT SO. NOT AT ALL. In fact, I have to say, I think Book 2 was actually BETTER than the first one. True, the start was a bit slow, but it quickly drew me in. And I became more and more involved in the plot, and with the characters
Kathleen Hagen
The Brothers of Baker Street, by Michael Robertson, B-plus, narrated by Simon Vance, produced by Blackstone Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

This is the second book in a series with the over-all theme that an attorney has taken up office space in the building now standing at the famous Baker Street address of the fictional Sherlock Holmes. Any barrister officing there has to agree, as part of the lease, to answer all letters which still come there addressed to Sherlock Holmes. Reggie, the atto
Julie
Mar 04, 2016 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audiobook
rarely do I listen to two books so close together. Just listened to the first last week. Again, Simon Vance who, for my money, is a fabulous reader. But perhaps too close together.

I'm afraid I thought the author here was some combination of lazy and/or sloppy. There are annoying errors. (For instance, at some point Nigel remembers finding a body in the first book. Fine--except that Nigel most certainly did NOT find that body. It was rather a plot point that Reggie did.)

Then there's the obvious
Gabi
The Brothers of Baker Street picks up immediately where the first in this series, The Baker Street Letters, leaves off. I usually don't go into a book with a lot of expectations, but I totally went into Baker Street Letters thinking, "This is going to be awesome! Two brothers move into Baker Street, get letters addressed to Sherlock Holmes, and solve crimes together!" Which it is...and yet, somehow isn't. Brothers of Baker Street was definitely more enjoyable for me because it was more of what I ...more
  • World's Greatest Sleuth!
  • Rainsong
  • Land of Echoes (Cree Black, #2)
  • Ranchero (Nick Reid, #1)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Vol. I
  • Stealing Mona Lisa
  • Tahoe Heat
  • A Woman of Consequence (A Dido Kent Mystery, #3)
  • Original Sin
  • The House in Amalfi
  • Twilight (Jenny Cain, #10)
  • Rolling in the Deep (Hawaiian Heroes, #2)
  • Enchantment's Reach
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Army of Dr. Moreau
  • Hasta la Vista, Lola!
  • Breathing Water (Poke Rafferty Mystery, #3)
  • The Christmas Cookie Killer (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #3)
  • A Bad Day for Scandal (Bad Day, #3)
202266
MICHAEL ROBERTSON works for a large company with branches in the United States and England. His first novel in this series, The Baker Street Letters, has been optioned by Warner Bros. for television. He lives in San Clemente, California.

More about Michael Robertson...

Baker Street Letters (5 books)
  • The Baker Street Letters
  • The Baker Street Translation (Baker Street Letters, #3)
  • Moriarty Returns a Letter (Baker Street Letters, #4)
  • The Baker Street Jurors (Baker Street Letters, #5)