Start by marking “Informally Educated: A True Tale of Child Abuse, Survival and Murder” as Want to Read:
Informally Educated: A True Tale of Child Abuse, Survival and Murder

Informally Educated: A True Tale of Child Abuse, Survival and Murder

1967, 8 yr old Davie's world was turned upside down. Traveling with a madman who was without conscience, Davie was physically and mentally abused at every turn. Using every semblance of courage, he fought day after day just to survive not knowing which brutal attack would be the last for him and his family.
This is a shocking tale of abuse, manipulation and yes, bravery, a
Published April 1st 2010 by Lemon Press (first published March 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Informally Educated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Informally Educated

Cheri
Oct 25, 2010 Cheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody
Wow! While this was very hard to read because some of the things were close to home I have to thank the author for writing it! Very good!
Mike Klemundt
Dec 05, 2011 Mike Klemundt rated it it was ok
Author Kennesaw Taylor introduces us to the dark, underbelly world of child abuse. The story centers on an 8-yr-old Davie Brown. Davie is living the life every child should have, until his mother begins dating a man named Jack Cooper. Suddenly, the lives of Davie and his family are changed, with Jack terrorizing him and his family at every moment. The abuse ranges from time away from school to brutal beatings. Taylor, a survivor of child abuse himself, enlightens us on the horrors of child abus ...more
Michele Amos
Jan 07, 2012 Michele Amos rated it it was amazing
An incredible story of abuse, but more importantly, a story of survival. It is hard to believe what this poor child went through. It is tragic that this level of abuse could occur in our country without anyone stepping forward to help. Congratulations, Mr. Taylor, on moving through your abuse and stopping the cycle in your own family.
Gabriela
Dec 02, 2011 Gabriela rated it liked it
Jack became the person he is in the book and how he beat up his family really badly that it hard to imagine. Gives details on what Jack put Davie, his sister Angel, and his mother through all there life. Wasn't easy for them even when trying to escape from Jack but somehow he finds out or find ways of not letting them leave period. Tell about how Davie misses a lot of school just because of Jack teaching him to steal and cheat people out of money on their cars. Talks about how Jack makes Davie d ...more
Soledad
Dec 04, 2011 Soledad rated it liked it
This book was based on a true story. The author of this book wrote about the way he lived his childhood life. He didn't have a normal childhood like one would usually have. He lived in what we can call Hell. His mother happened to get involved with a monster named Jack and couldn't get rid of him. Jack was a brutal man ever since he was a teen. He tortured Davie, the author of this book, and his family in any way possible. What was worse is the fact that they could have gotten away from him a fe ...more
Amairani
Dec 08, 2011 Amairani rated it liked it
What an interesting book this was, and very graphic. Jack is the worst human being i have ever heard of. Jack would beat on his wife, and step children. He even killed a cat in this book because it was eating at his food. Jack also beat on other people, other than his family. Parents would hand their kids over to Jack so that Jack would straighten them up. Jack once beat a kid everyday to see if he would stop being gay. Obviously that would never change the kids but Jack thought he was doing a p ...more
Jeannie
Jul 30, 2013 Jeannie rated it really liked it
This was a heart-breaking read. One of the worst cases of child abuse I've heard of. I'm speechless at the cruelty the author endured and that his step-father was able to get away with so much while others stood by and did nothing. I salute the author for having the courage to tell his story and confront the demons that child abuse visits upon its victims. His mission to expose child abuse to save other victims is very brave.
Glenda
Mar 19, 2014 Glenda rated it liked it
This was a heart wrenching tale of an evil stepfather who abused his wife and step children. Jack was a cruel bastard of a man and I felt so bad for Davey and his family but at the same time I don't understand why the mom kept going back. A mothers natural instinct is to protect her young and she failed miserably at this.
Windy ODonnell
Apr 20, 2012 Windy ODonnell rated it it was amazing
This book had me in tears since I relate to childhood abuse.I must say that this was written with raw painful reality and to share your story to the public takes a lot of guts.I especially liked that the author added contacts for abuse for everyone.Kudos for courage Mr.Taylor!
Jake
Dec 06, 2011 Jake rated it liked it
This book is not a book for the weak. It is extremely graphic. If you like a good suspenseful book this book is for you. If you think all of the world is prefect. Then read this book, you will realize what people go through on a daily basis.
richwire
Mar 11, 2013 richwire rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Difficult for me to criticize the writer. It's a small miracle he's alive given the odds he had to overcome. I did find the book choppy and hard to follow. Having said that, I sincerely hope the author and his sister have found peace.
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2015
Sarah rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2014
Charles Clark
Charles Clark rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Sheila
Sheila rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2011
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Katie Bloch
Katie Bloch rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2017
Bt
Bt rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2011
Dixie
Dixie rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2015
Christine Ferran
Christine Ferran rated it did not like it
Jul 23, 2015
Anita Wood
Anita Wood rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2014
Joy
Joy rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Brittney
Brittney rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2012
april dawn wilson
april dawn wilson rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2016
Shannon Rachal
Shannon Rachal rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Kristi Burke
Kristi Burke rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Dixie
Dixie rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2015
Brandy Goldstein
Brandy Goldstein rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2014
Kristin Anderson
Kristin Anderson rated it it was ok
Aug 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Art of the Cookie: Baking Up Inspiration by the Dozen
  • 31 Dates in 31 Days
  • The Debutante
  • Hush Little Babies: the true story of a mother who murdered her own children
  • Confessions of a Rebel Debutante
  • Emma Dent
  • Our Little Secret: The True Story of a Teenager Killer and the Silence of a Small New England Town
  • Burnout
  • When Jeff Comes Home
  • Revenge of the Crafty Corpse (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery, #3)
  • Confessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler: A Memoir
  • What Do You Do All Day?
  • Kill For Me
  • Smart Vs. Pretty
  • A Warrant to Kill
  • By Their Father's Hand: The True Story of the Wesson Family Massacre
  • Catching Alice
  • Blood Bath
Kennesaw Taylor is a Southern Author. He is a survivor of and advocate against child abuse. His weekly column, in several papers, is in its forth uninterrupted year. The stories and photographs of his travels and life continue to reward him with new friends and followers from around the world. His work can now be found on hundreds of web sites and online news sources.
Born in Milledgeville, Georgia
More about Kennesaw Taylor...