Start by marking “Informally Educated: A True Tale of Child Abuse, Survival and Murder” as Want to Read:
Informally Educated: A True Tale of Child Abuse, Survival and Murder

Informally Educated: A True Tale of Child Abuse, Survival and Murder

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  11 reviews
1967, 8 yr old Davie's world was turned upside down. Traveling with a madman who was without conscience, Davie was physically and mentally abused at every turn. Using every semblance of courage, he fought day after day just to survive not knowing which brutal attack would be the last for him and his family.
This is a shocking tale of abuse, manipulation and yes, bravery, a
Published April 1st 2010 by Lemon Press (first published March 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Informally Educated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Informally Educated

Cheri
Oct 25, 2010 Cheri rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody
Wow! While this was very hard to read because some of the things were close to home I have to thank the author for writing it! Very good!
Mike Klemundt
Author Kennesaw Taylor introduces us to the dark, underbelly world of child abuse. The story centers on an 8-yr-old Davie Brown. Davie is living the life every child should have, until his mother begins dating a man named Jack Cooper. Suddenly, the lives of Davie and his family are changed, with Jack terrorizing him and his family at every moment. The abuse ranges from time away from school to brutal beatings. Taylor, a survivor of child abuse himself, enlightens us on the horrors of child abus ...more
Michele Amos
An incredible story of abuse, but more importantly, a story of survival. It is hard to believe what this poor child went through. It is tragic that this level of abuse could occur in our country without anyone stepping forward to help. Congratulations, Mr. Taylor, on moving through your abuse and stopping the cycle in your own family.
Amairani
What an interesting book this was, and very graphic. Jack is the worst human being i have ever heard of. Jack would beat on his wife, and step children. He even killed a cat in this book because it was eating at his food. Jack also beat on other people, other than his family. Parents would hand their kids over to Jack so that Jack would straighten them up. Jack once beat a kid everyday to see if he would stop being gay. Obviously that would never change the kids but Jack thought he was doing a p ...more
Soledad
This book was based on a true story. The author of this book wrote about the way he lived his childhood life. He didn't have a normal childhood like one would usually have. He lived in what we can call Hell. His mother happened to get involved with a monster named Jack and couldn't get rid of him. Jack was a brutal man ever since he was a teen. He tortured Davie, the author of this book, and his family in any way possible. What was worse is the fact that they could have gotten away from him a fe ...more
Gabriela
Jack became the person he is in the book and how he beat up his family really badly that it hard to imagine. Gives details on what Jack put Davie, his sister Angel, and his mother through all there life. Wasn't easy for them even when trying to escape from Jack but somehow he finds out or find ways of not letting them leave period. Tell about how Davie misses a lot of school just because of Jack teaching him to steal and cheat people out of money on their cars. Talks about how Jack makes Davie d ...more
Glenda
This was a heart wrenching tale of an evil stepfather who abused his wife and step children. Jack was a cruel bastard of a man and I felt so bad for Davey and his family but at the same time I don't understand why the mom kept going back. A mothers natural instinct is to protect her young and she failed miserably at this.
Jeannie
This was a heart-breaking read. One of the worst cases of child abuse I've heard of. I'm speechless at the cruelty the author endured and that his step-father was able to get away with so much while others stood by and did nothing. I salute the author for having the courage to tell his story and confront the demons that child abuse visits upon its victims. His mission to expose child abuse to save other victims is very brave.
Windy ODonnell
This book had me in tears since I relate to childhood abuse.I must say that this was written with raw painful reality and to share your story to the public takes a lot of guts.I especially liked that the author added contacts for abuse for everyone.Kudos for courage Mr.Taylor!
Jake
This book is not a book for the weak. It is extremely graphic. If you like a good suspenseful book this book is for you. If you think all of the world is prefect. Then read this book, you will realize what people go through on a daily basis.
richwire
Difficult for me to criticize the writer. It's a small miracle he's alive given the odds he had to overcome. I did find the book choppy and hard to follow. Having said that, I sincerely hope the author and his sister have found peace.
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Skylar
Skylar marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Joshi'Yonna
Joshi'Yonna marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Courteney Pepper
Courteney Pepper marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Christian Allgeier
Christian Allgeier marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Katey
Katey added it
May 21, 2015
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Carmen Ezell
Carmen Ezell marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Dragon Bookworm
Dragon Bookworm marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
April Richie
April Richie marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
  • The Art of the Cookie: Baking Up Inspiration by the Dozen
  • Hush Little Babies: the true story of a mother who murdered her own children
  • 31 Dates in 31 Days
  • Kill For Me
  • Breaking the Rules
  • Our Little Secret: The True Story of a Teenager Killer and the Silence of a Small New England Town
  • Confessions of a Rebel Debutante
  • The Debutante
  • Emma Dent
  • A Warrant to Kill
  • Alyzon Whitestarr
  • Revenge of the Crafty Corpse (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery, #3)
  • Inside the Outside
  • No Mercy: The Host of America's Most Wanted Hunts the Worst Criminals of Our Time--In Shattering True Crime Cases
  • Altered
  • When Jeff Comes Home
  • By Their Father's Hand: The True Story of the Wesson Family Massacre
  • Sue Ellen's Girl Ain't Fat, She Just Weighs Heavy: The Belle of All Things Southern Dishes on Men, Money, and Not Losing Your Midlife Mind
Kennesaw Taylor is a Southern Author. He is a survivor of and advocate against child abuse. His weekly column, in several papers, is in its forth uninterrupted year. The stories and photographs of his travels and life continue to reward him with new friends and followers from around the world. His work can now be found on hundreds of web sites and online news sources.
Born in Milledgeville, Georgia
More about Kennesaw Taylor...
Informally Educated: True Tale of Child Abuse, Survival and Murder I'm Ugly and Broke The Redneck Cooker-Southern Cook Book B4: 20 Trippin' Down the Reaper's Road: A Deadly Decent Into Drug Addiction Informally Educated, Learning to Survive Child Abuse, Special Edition with Poems