Start by marking “The Christmas Menorahs: How a Town Fought Hate” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Menorahs: How a Town Fought Hate

The Christmas Menorahs: How a Town Fought Hate

In Billings, Montana, a Menorah displayed in boy's bedroom prompted someone to throw a rock through the window. The resulting true story of one town's fight against bigotry is the subject of this award-winning "fine book for parents and teachers who want to discuss prejudice and hate crimes with their children".--"Booklist". Full-color illustrations.
Published January 1st 1995 by Albert Whitman & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Menorahs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Menorahs

Lisa Vegan
Dec 03, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who enjoy holiday stories about tolerance & doing the right thing
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
This is the perfect holiday story because it conveys such a lovely message, and while it doesn’t sugarcoat anything, it is a very uplifting story. It tells about what happened in Billings, Montana in 1993, when its citizens banded together against skinheads who were targeting Jewish citizens and others they perceived as unlike themselves. The subtitle: How a Town Fought Hate says it well, and that fact that children, families, law enforcement, and many other members of the community participated ...more
Hailey
Feb 15, 2016 Hailey rated it did not like it
Shelves: child-lit
This non-fiction picture book tells the story of a Jewish family that gets targeted because of their faith. Some people in the town of Billing were throwing rocks into windows that had menorahs in them to make a statement of not liking the Jewish religion. The police tell all the families they should put up their Jewish decorations so they wouldn't be targeted anymore. The families stood up for their faith and kept the decorations up and told more people about being Jews.
I did not like this boo
Margaret
Dec 21, 2013 Margaret rated it really liked it
12/2013 ** Over the course of 4 days, I read this to the entire fourth grade team this year. From a thematic standpoint, the message resonates with me - don't stand by when others are persecuted for their beliefs or skin color. From a writing standpoint, the book could have been strengthened by a literary editor. The wordcount could probably have been reduced by 30-50% without detracting from the message. It reads more like a scholarly lesson than a picture book, and some of the dialogue isn't ...more
Maureen
Sep 25, 2008 Maureen rated it really liked it
Shelves: multicultural
This true story depicts the events surrounding a hate crime in Billings, Montana. When the only Jewish family in town displays a menorah for Hannukah, a rock is thrown through their window. Even though the rest of the people in this neighborhood were unfamiliar with Hannukah traditions, everyone in town displayed a menorah in addition to their Christmas decorations as a sign of solidarity and support for their neighbor. This gesture was reminiscent of the legend of King Christian of WWII ...more
Jgrace
The Christmas Menorahs, How a Town Fought Hate
5 stars

This is a children's book, probably a third or fourth grade reading level. I used to read it to my second grade kids. I find that it inspires me every time I read it. It's based on the true story of some hate crime vandalism in a mid-western town. A rock is thrown through a window in a house that is displaying a menorah. The Christian townspeople begin to display menorahs with their Christmas decorations in a show of support. There are histori
Miri
Jul 01, 2016 Miri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Awesome, absolutely fantastic story. I was holding back tears while sitting at the reference desk. The true story of how in 1993, in Billings, Montana, the entire town came together to fight back against a small group of white supremacists who were abusing local Jews, Native Americans, and other minority groups. This is the kind of story that makes you feel good about the world again.
Dee
Oct 05, 2012 Dee rated it it was amazing
Without dumbing down the subject or trying to cover it up with niceties, this book is a moving account of how a Montana town came together in the face of antisemitism. The book is based on a true story, and its lessons of tolerance and unity cross religious barriers and can apply to every aspect of life in a diverse society.
Mira Domsky
Jun 18, 2014 Mira Domsky rated it it was amazing
Based on the true story of a small town that banded together to show love and support in the face of hate in 1993. All the more touching because it is based on truth, and surprising to hear since it happened in my lifetime. Too complicated for most storytimes.
Emelda
Dec 10, 2014 Emelda rated it really liked it
I think the narrative was confusing in a few places- it switched twice- and it definitely would have gone over my kids' heads (3/4 year old range), but I'm glad I saw it and read it myself. It'll be a great resource for future older readers.
Debbie
Jan 05, 2016 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Really good book to read for channukah especially since many kids celebrate both. Promoted a lot of discussioin
Beth
Dec 28, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, christmas
Someone is smashing windows with menorahs in them, so everyone in the neighborhood puts a menorah in the window. A heartwarming holiday tale.
Patricia
In a town's fight against hatred they gave a Jewish family a gift and in turn gave themselves and their town a gift also.
Eileen
Apr 17, 2008 Eileen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-tolerance
Families in Billings Montana place memorahs in their windows even if not Jewish to show support for a Jewish family.
Isaac
Isaac rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Lynn
Lynn rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2014
Pat Morris
Pat Morris rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Marty Siegel
Marty Siegel rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2015
Katlinsrider.edu
Katlinsrider.edu rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Shanshad Whelan
Shanshad Whelan rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2010
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2012
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2013
Gabby
Gabby rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Angie Bates
Angie Bates rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2013
Mandi
Mandi rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Julie Gerber
Julie Gerber rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2010
Sue Mosher
Sue Mosher rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2015
Jandira
Jandira rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015