Start by marking “Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies

Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Demystifies aquarium setup and maintenanceCombine and care for a wide variety of marine fish and invertebrates

Dive into the colorful world of saltwater fish! This fun, friendly guide gives you easy step-by-step instructions for choosing and caring for these amazing animals. You get the latest on feeding, tank upkeep, filtering systems, maintaining live rock, and preventing
Published February 25th 2011 by For Dummies (first published March 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies

Erin
This book has a number of troubling issues......first, it is rather outdated now - technology has come a long way in the past decade and a half, especially at the hobbyist level. Lighting is a great illustration of this. Of the options listed in the book (tungsten, fluorescent, power compact fluorescent, mercury vapor, and metal halide), only two are used seriously today: metal halide and T5 fluorescent lighting (as opposed to T12, a difference that is not even discussed in this book!). In addit ...more
Emily
It covers he basics and helps get a basic understanding of marine fish keeping. It also helped solidify and help me to better understand things I already knew from school and from my Job working at a public aquarium.
Beth
What would I have done without this book?! It's a very clear step by step manual to set up your own saltwater tank. He tells you which fish to avoid buying and how to be patient. Endless list of advice which I took upon on every one of it. I have the book right by my aquarium and I look it up very often just to make sure I am doing it right. Very highly recommended for beginner saltwater aquarist!!!
Beth
I thought this was a great beginners book, which was exactly what I was looking for. It would have been helpful to have some kind of fish compatibility chart or some other type of chart that would show temperment or compatibility with different types of saltwater set ups. This information was in the book, for the most part, but it would have been helpful to have a quick reference guide.
David Ward
Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies by Gregory Skomal (Wiley 2002)(639.342). This is a fairly thorough overview of the issues surrounding the set-up and maintenance of salt-water aquaria. Be warned, though, that it is from the popular”...for Dummies”series, so how thorough can it be? My rating: 4/10, finished 2004.
Michael
Jul 31, 2007 Michael rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking to start an aquarium.
Shelves: justdone
Generally this is a very simple but thorough guide to the world of salt water. The author is both informative and witty and covers a complete range of skills as well as steps and guides and information about setting up, maintaining, and understanding salt water aquariums. I highly recommend it.
Nichole
This was a great introductory book to the complicated world of saltwater aquariums. It gives the basics about all aspects of the hobby and provides comfort that it actually is a do-able hobby, despite all the warnings you'll get from your friends and family.
Sherry
Quite informative without bein boring. But it has probably informed me that I'm not ready for a saltwater tank. No matter how cute Nemo is.
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Tess C.
Tess C. is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
George
George added it
Mar 06, 2015
Sergovich Johnson
Sergovich Johnson marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Noushad
Noushad marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Graig
Graig added it
Jan 19, 2015
Sarah is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2015
Klaire
Klaire is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Freshwater Aquarium: Your Happy Healthy Pet Setting Up a Freshwater Aquarium: An Owner's Guide to a Happy Healthy Pet Setting Up A Saltwater Aquarium Saltwater Aquarium: Your Happy Healthy Pet Goldfish: Your Happy Healthy Pet