Start by marking “Living Life as a Thank You” as Want to Read:
Living Life as a Thank You

Living Life as a Thank You

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Whatever is given -- even a difficult and challenging moment -- is a gift. Living as if each day is a thank-you can help transform fear into courage, anger into forgiveness, isolation into belonging, and another's pain into healing. Saying thank-you every day inspires feelings of love, compassion, and hope. These ideas are the basis for this timely book. Authors Nina Lesow ...more
Published October 15th 2010 by Viva Editions (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Living Life as a Thank You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Life as a Thank You

Sarah Geno
very good to pick up and read a bit at a time on days when I'm feeling stressed. Everyone should read this book and take in to consideration some of its practices.
Elevate Difference
The most wonderful part about the idea of practicing daily gratitude is that any person can do it. Unlike many concepts, like faith or prayer, which tend to be examined via certain religions or spiritualities, thankfulness is pretty universal. Living Life as a Thank You illustrates extensively how incorporating gratitude into one's life can draw enormous benefits for everyone.

This book serves up ten chapters full of stories about how learning to be grateful has changed people from all walks of l
Natalie
I loved this book. It is motivational and ideal for anyone who is interested in practicing graditude. It is made up of personal gratitude stories of different people. Each chapter focuses on practicing gratitude in various situations. Examples include: "gratitude as a spiritual practice", "staying thankful in difficult times", "the power of gratitude to make a difference in the world", etc... Most of the stories end with a gratitude practice that the reader can incorporate into their own life. I ...more
Tana
I really enjoyed this little book. I was hovering around the self-help section of the library, and zeroed in on the "gratitude" call number, and picked out this one and one or two others. I think this is the only one I actually finished. It was just easy to read, had some wonderful quotes and nice anecdotes in it, and it got me to start a gratitude journal, which I'd intended to do for a while but never got around to. I'm not sure that there was anything overwhelmingly fantastic about it, but I ...more
Traci
I happened upon this book at the bookstore, and I am delighted to have found it. What I liked so much about this book was the designation of chapters complete with stories and examples of how people came to find and extend compassion and gratitude in their lives and others. At the conclusion of each chapter, there are specific ideas and suggestions (websites and organizations) presented to actively engage in daily gratitude. Lovely in it's simplicity; lovely in that many things begin simply and ...more
Cindy
This book is divided into sections on how to live a life of gratitude - in all areas (work, home) during good times and bad, during illness and loss. Being grateful for what you have in life brings an attitude of abundance even when things are dark.

I liked the idea of a gratitude dream board - giving thanks for the things that you want to come into your life.

A quote I liked:

"They can conquer who believe they can."
Nikki
Jun 08, 2010 Nikki rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends
Enjoyed this book. Liked the personal stories and also the practical ideas at the end of each story and chapter on how to be more mindful of being grateful on a daily basis. The majority of the suggestions are simple and don't require a lot of time or effort. Will definitely try to incorporate some into my life!
Margie
Wonderfully uplifting. Interesting perspectives on different ways to think about/approach gratitude. It is truly not that difficult to live our lives with gratitude each and every day. We all need to be reminded to be as quick with gratitude and thank-yous as we tend to be with criticism.
Jo
Great book on learning how to really feel gratitude daily. Feeling grateful always brings more blessings.
Lots of great website links also.

I am so grateful I read this book!
Megan
Very short inspiring stories to help remind you to count your blessings and be thankful every day. It was hard to stop reading, but I think best read a chapter a day.
Anita Dix-McLaughlin
Good book, reminding us all to be thankful for what we have. There is an old expression that says "Thank you makes room for more."
Laurie
Gratitude has tremendous power and grace in our lives. It is something I want to remember to express.
Kristi
Currently enjoying this easy to read book about gratitude and making it a part of my daily life....
Debra
Lovely book with lots of reminders.
Celia
So enjoyed! Very uplifting :-)
Brittany
Part of my new year's resolutions . . .
Rachel Bussel
Living Life as a Thank You is the kind of book whose advice is simple but profound. The lesson of gratitude is repeated and expounded upon in various ways, from everyday acts to deeper issues. As I read this book, I was reminded that being grateful is not just something to "do" but rather a way of life. In short chapters, the authors reflect on their theme and highlight people all over who've been changed and touched by being open, thoughtful and sincere. There were moments where the text was a ...more
Tinie
Filled with short stories about individuals who have learned to "live life as a thank you". Details the hardships that they've been through - and how these hardships actually made them MORE grateful than they ever were before they had these experiences.

When so much seems to be going wrong, we begin to notice and appreciate the little things that are going right. We took these little things for granted before, but now realizing how important they are to us, we feel more thankful than ever.
Melissa
i thought this book would have more actual ideas on how to help one develop an attitude of gratitude but it was mostly just full of stories of how people came to appreciate something or someone in their lives. it was positive and uplifting but wasn't what i was looking for.
Anita Zinn
Read 2009

This book makes me smile and feel full of the best things in life - just by choosing to be grateful!

Quote: "Once you clear away what is choking your life, there is room for the gift - a promise of the new."
Jenny
I couldn't finish this one either. The stories just didn't resonant with me. I liked the quotes throughout the book and some of the gratitude practices seemed doable though.
Matt
My review is simple. This books puts life into perspective and impresses on the reader the need for more gratitude in society. It makes you realize how fortunate we are.
Claire
Jan 14, 2010 Claire rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high schol and up, could be used as middle school/family socratic seminar material
Scores of vignettes telling of the turning point in the narrators lives that nudged them to a point of profound and lasting gratitude.
Amanda
While I like the concept of this book, it took me about six months to get 2/3s of the way through it. I finally gave up.
Sue
I loved this book!
Larissa
Jan 18, 2011 Larissa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Recommended to me many months ago - realizing it's what I may need to read right now...
Amy
Some practical tips, and good quotes, on living a life of gratitude.
Jacqui
My book club choice in November. Great ideas, pretty boring.
Liane
Like living on an island .....
Erika
November 2010 Jacqui
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Grace Happens Here: You Are Standing Where Grace Is Happening
  • Attitudes of Gratitude: How to Give and Receive Joy Every Day of Your Life
  • Now Is the Time: 170 Ways to Seize the Moment
  • Clutter's Last Stand: It's Time to de-Junk Your Life!
  • The Demon in the House (Barsetshire #3)
  • One: How Many People Does It Take to Make a Difference?
  • Finding Water: The Art of Perseverance
  • Except for Me and Thee
  • The Path of Practice: A Woman's Book of Ayurvedic Healing
  • The Compassionate Instinct: The Science of Human Goodness
  • The Berkeley Square Affair (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #7)
  • How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
  • The Path: Creating Your Mission Statement for Work and for Life
  • Julie Andrews' Collection of Poems, Songs, and Lullabies
  • Top Performance: How to Develop Excellence in Yourself and Others
  • The Black Hand (Barker & Llewelyn, #5)
  • Corgiville Fair
  • Dinner at Antoine's
The Grateful Life: The Secret to Happiness, and the Science of Contentment The Courage Companion: How to Live Life with True Power What Would You Do If You Knew You Could Not Fail?: How to Transform Fear into Courage The Gratitude Power Workbook: Transform Fear into Courage, Anger into Forgiveness, Isolation into Belonging The Party Girl Cookbook