Start by marking “The Search for Bridey Murphy” as Want to Read:
The Search for Bridey Murphy

The Search for Bridey Murphy

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The story of Ruth Simmons, who while under hypnosis recounts the story of the life of Bridey Murphy under the care of one of the leading hypnotherapist of the day.
Published July 1st 1989 by Doubleday (first published January 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Search for Bridey Murphy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Search for Bridey Murphy

Eileen
Read this as a teenager. It changed not only how I looked at life but everyone else's. A must.
P.S. Loved the name Bridey so much was going to name my girl Bridey - BUT- never had a girl so I named our dog after her.
Jeffrey Crimmel
I was recommended this book because of the past life experience I had as a boy living in Italy. I have just started the book and already I am ready to be put under to recall any other past lives I may have had.

Finished the book and recommend it for those who have any interest in past lives. This book is not for everyone because of the topic but many of us out there have had such experiences and are not closed minded with the subject of re incarnation.
Maureen
Jul 01, 2008 Maureen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Maureen by: forbidden fruit
Shelves: psychology
When this book was first published, it caused somewhat of a sensation, especially in the Bible Belt where I grew up. A psychiatrist got interested in hypnosis in 1952, and tried it on his neighbor's wife. While trying to regress the woman to her early childhood, he ended up in what must have been one of the first past life regressions, where the woman remembered several past lives, including her life as Bridey Murphy, an Irishwoman in the 1800s. Many of the details of her/Murphy's life were able ...more
Maegan
Mar 25, 2010 Maegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Maegan by: Mike Dooley
Great read; the version I had has an introduction and a bunch of additional information in the back. I found the stuff in the back to be a bit more involved and tedious, but if you wanted more factual documentation that was it. Very intriguing, I think everyone should read this book as it is extremely thought provoking.
Samantha Glasser
I read this book because I saw the movie starring Teresa Wright, and it completely blew my mind. I wasn't sure how much to buy into the story, but this book is very convincing and whether you remain slightly skeptical like I have, it is a fascinating read that brings up amazing possiblilities about the soul and the human brain.

At a party, the author witness a hypnotist and finds himself questioning the whole process. But his interest is piqued and he starts studying the art, practicing on his w
Meriam Kharbat
Nov 18, 2012 Meriam Kharbat added it
Recommends it for: People interested in Reincarnation
This book tells a story about a psychiatrist who hypnotized his neighbor Virginia Tighe (called Ruth Simmons). This housewife starts recalling scenes of her past life as Bridey Murphy, who lives in Belfast,Ireland.

It gets interesting around the middle of the book, where the woman allegedly spoke of her death, and what she did after she died. And also her frustration when people (husband Brian, and Brother Duncan) couldn't listen her. She spoke of her rebirth, in her present life.

***
This is an I
Kathy  Petersen
I first read The Search for Bridey Murphy when I was a young and quite skeptical teenager ... skeptical but fascinated. Fifty years later I'm still skeptical and still fascinated by the tale. Bernstein, a businessman and amateur hypnotist, has either a skill in writing or a good editor. (See, I told you I was a skeptic.)
Erik Graff
Feb 14, 2015 Erik Graff rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hypnotism fans
Recommended to Erik by: Michael Miley
Shelves: psychology
Although rather convincingly disproved, the best-selling Bridey Murphy book is an important work in the history of past-life regressive hypnotism, channeling and the popular belief in such methods relevant to the alien abduction phenomenon and to false memories of infantile abuse.
Costacoralito
An amazing book that opened my mind to the possibility of reincarnation. Very good description of hypnotic age and past life regression methods and scripts. Entertaining and reasonably well-written. Highly recommended.
Diane Bedford
Story of past life regression through Hypnosis. Interesting ... could this possibly be true??
C.
First book I read on past life regressions. It opened up a new field of interest for me.
Sherry
I read this at about 9 years old. It was a huge influence on my world view.
Tonya
Very interesting insight into hypnotherapy. Brief history of Edgar Cayce.
Linda
One of the first books to pique my interest in reincarnation.
Lynda
The first book I read on reincarnation. Fascinates me.
Angela
Interesting.
Emma
All I could think of was Peter Venkman. 'I dunno, a couple of wavy lines.' I'm interested in this stuff (hypnosis, age regression, weird crap etc) and I didn't object to the age of the text (1956); indeed the discussion of outdated medical treatments including the usefulness of sodium amytal was almost whimisical. But the lack of questions asked of the subject and the lack of investigation into the claims made under hypnosis was frustrating, and, of course, goes about refuting the validity of th ...more
Heidi Wiechert
At first, this account of a part-time hypnotist taking a lady through a past life regression was "give-you-the-chills" interesting. Bernstein set the stage perfectly with his description of how he became interested in hypnotism and reincarnation after being a skeptic for the first part of his life. Then, he described his sometimes humorous attempts to be hypnotized himself.

Next, he introduced the reader to Ruth Simmons and his recordings of her hypnotic sessions and the life of Bridey Murphy. Th
Josephine
Unfortunately, there's no star indicator for "laughed helplessly at the woo-woo" of this book. It reminded me of Von Daniken's books "Chariots of the Gods" in its desperate stretching for proof of reincarnation, and the usefulness of hypnosis in medical treatment. I can understand how there would be many people who would like this, for those very same reasons--in fairness, hypnosis may have some efficacy as a more formalized inducer of the placebo effect, but no more than that--but the central p ...more
Mary Magin
This book was published in the 1950's and it is an interesting study of what was going on in the Paranormal world at that time. It's primarily concerned with hypnosis and is an easy read for the non-scientific. I liked it.
Ede
I read this book a long time ago and it has remained in my mind ever since. It changed my thinking about life and death. I really liked this book and I think Ill go ahead and read it again.
Melissa Weidner
A must read for anyone remotely interested in hypnotherapy. Fascinating and awesome.
Denise
Like some others have said, I read this as a teen. I was in my mystical, searching for answers phase of life and this book deeply moved me. I haven't a clue whether the author is simply a good story teller or truly relating facts but either way, the story is a wonderful tale of the what ifs of life after death.

H. P. Reed
This is a great book for a teen or early 20s reader exploring paranormal nonsense, but it's not at all convincing. Our own minds are capable of deluding and entertaining us powerfully. They are to be marveled at, but not believed.
Meg Gherson
Loved it! and will Re-read it many times I am sure!
Linda
Really interesting book about a woman who might have lived another life 100 years before in Ireland.
Karen Black
I was really interested in the topic of this book (reincarnation), but the author just didn't pull it off.
Bonnie
As a teen, my first introduction into the possibility of reincarnation.
Steve Shilstone
A nifty page-turner all about incarnation and re of same.
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
  • Soul Mates:  Karma & Reincarnation
  • Office Yoga: Simple Stretches for Busy People
  • The Saffron Robe
  • 50 Simple Things You Can Do To Save The Earth
  • Eating for IBS: 175 Delicious, Nutritious, Low-Fat, Low-Residue Recipes to Stabilize the Touchiest Tummy
  • Pad: The Guide to Ultra-Living
  • The Hundredth Monkey
  • Almost Vegetarian: A Primer for Cooks Who Are Eating Vegetarian Most of the Time, Chicken & Fish Some of the Time, & Altogether Well All of the Time
  • Betty Crocker's New Cookbook
  • Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today's Produce, with Over 350 Recipes
  • The House Plant Expert: The world's best-selling book on house plants