Economics for Dummies

Economics for Dummies

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Grasp the history, principles, theories, and terminology of economics with this updated bestsellerSince the initial publication of "Economics For Dummies" in 2005, the U.S. has endured a number of drastic changes and events that sent its economy into a tailspin. This newly revised edition presents updated material about the recent financial crisis and the steps taken to re...more
Published March 10th 2011 by For Dummies (first published April 8th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Economics for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Economics for Dummies

Dachokie
Great Source of Information, but Dummies Beware ...

This book was reviewed as part of Amazon's Vine program which included a free advance copy of the book.

Having accumulated several of the "for Dummies" books over the years, I find that they offer a great base knowledge of information on a wide variety of subjects and are very useful as a reference. That being said, some topics are a little too "meaty" to simplify so easily ... and I would have to include economics as one of those topics.

Althoug...more
Michael
Nov 23, 2008 Michael is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say--it explains terms I need to know.
James
Ok, so I've gotten over being offended by the title of the books. Once that was put behind me, I was able to get something out the work.

I love economic theory, so anything dealing with a semi-tangible whose direction is determined by psychology and human behavior is easily palatable to me.
Ryan Swensen
Great book. I never took an economics class in high school or at university. I decided to read this book part way through reading Alan Greenspan's "The Age Of Turbulence" book so that I could get a better appreciation of what he was trying to convey. This book did that and them some. I highly recommend it for anybody seeking to understand economics simply and effectively.
Steven
I have been interested in understanding more about economics, so I picked this book up. My angle was to understand better the principles of economics. Though this book addressed those principles and explained them quite well, I felt it spent too much time with math and formulas to try and explain those principles.
J.P.
I think this is another great entry in the "For Dummies" series. It's good introduction for the layperson into how the economy works. I decided to read it after hearing various opinions on how certain policies should be handled, how the government handles money & the economy & because of the "Great Recession" as it has been called. I also decided to read it out of genuine curiosity because I once took an economics class & my "professor" said that all you needed was an opinion, which...more
Charles Terry
If you don't like numbers, formulas, ratios, and probabilities then avoid this book. But, if you love em like I do then you MUST read this book.
Brandi Reynolds
After a scheduling error, I found myself in Macroeconomics 2 instead of Macroeconomics 1. Not wanting to lose any of my other classes, I decided not to correct my schedule and decided to just keep the class. When it started, I found myself not understanding a lot of the basic terms and concepts the professor would discuss, so I ordered this book. It helped a lot, especially when studying for the exams. It explained everything in a much clearer fashion than the textbook we were using. I would hig...more
Stefany
Yes, I rated this 5 stars. I took Microeconomics earlier this summer and am studying for the Macroeconomics CLEP test, which I have scheduled for a couple weeks from now. I used this book to help me with some of the concepts I need. I think that the examples used in it are very clear to understand. They are also entertaining. If you have never taken an economics course, you ought to read this book. It was written before this recession hit, and explains all about monetary and fiscal policy and ho...more
Wilda
Helps me understand economics in a way I never could before in college. It's like a whole new world has opened up to me. Now I read and listen to the news and actually understand what certain things mean and get the implications of certain fiscal and monetary policies. Very enjoyable read with just the right amount of sense of humor. The author (fellow Berkeley alum) breaks it down in such an easy way that even a dummy in economics like myself understood every marginal cost curve. Every person s...more
Jrobertus
It has been a long time since I took econ in college. Given the time spent worrying today about the economy I needed an update. I whipped through this as a kind of refresher and found it useful.It made no mention of the guns and butter classic lessons, but was otherwise clear and timely.
Shannon Mitrovich
Avery interesting read and not what I expected. I actually enjoyed this book. Well, 75% of it. I will never like algebra and graphing. However, I did learn a lot and feel I have a much better understanding of what Economics is. I'm ready to start this MBA already.
Andy
It's strange to choose "really liked it" for an economics book, and especially for a "For Dummies" book, but this presented the subject matter in a very understandable manner, without being ideological in a "the market is always right" sort of way.
Viridiana
Esperaba explicaciones del funcionamiento de la economía que no se basasen en gráficos... Una fórmula matemática que ha sido deducida a partir de la realidad no puede convertirse en la explicación de esa realidad. No creo que haya aprendido mucho.
Crystal
Good basic overview.

Very light from a mathematical standpoint and definitely biased, but a good overview or preview for future students or those interested in grasping basic economics.
Darcy Stewart
This is a great guide if planning to take the AP Macro and Micro economics tests. Economics is explained very well in this book. It's short and left out a lot of blah, blah, blah.
Aaron
A great introductory text, especially for those of us who wasted our education by never taking an Econ course. Read it through in relatively little time, and never got bored.
Alana
very simple to understand the basic concepts of economics. also, the author does add in a few humorous parts, which kind of made me forget that i was reading a dummies book :P
Valerie
Not bad. It's like taking Econ 101. I'm better with understanding words so I just skipped all of the algebra and accompanying graphs.
Sahar Abdel-Hameed
It is my first book on economics. I found it to be very helpful, simple and interesting. It gave me a pretty fair overview on the subject.
James Violand
Jun 30, 2014 James Violand rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: economic students
Shelves: own
I used this as a review for the economic classes I had in college long ago. It helped me on my Praxis exam to teach the subject
Mckinley
1/3 through before had to return.
Good review/overview. First part focuses on microeconomics. Next part is macroeconomics.
Mike Ford
Pretty good overview of mainstream economics. I read this as a refresher before entering grad school and found it helpful.
Nicole
Oct 11, 2008 Nicole rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Economics Newbies
Recommended to Nicole by: God
Not bad. It is the down and dirty way to get a head start on my Micro Econ class. 1500 page paper due on Monday. Blah...
Lynn
This is surprisingly good. I'm always impressed with how smart these dummies are.
Jc
Vienen muchos conceptos, muchos son de lógica, pero quedan claros con este libro
Darian
This book really made the light bulb go off.
Anita Williamson
Worth reading. I learned a lot.
Brent
Pretty good for a text book.
David
Dec 17, 2007 David is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in basic Economics
Shelves: economics
  • The Accounting Game : Basic Accounting Fresh from the Lemonade Stand
  • Nolo's Essential Guide to Buying Your First Home
  • Buddhism for Dummies
  • Forensics for Dummies
Macroeconomics, 19th edition (McGraw-Hill Series Economics) Economics Essentials of Economics , 3rd edition (The Mcgraw-Hill Series in Economics) Economics (McGraw-Hill Economics) Understanding Shodokan Aikido