Start by marking “Klan-destine Relationships: A Black Man's Odyssey in the Ku Klux Klan” as Want to Read:
Klan-destine Relationships: A Black Man's Odyssey in the Ku Klux Klan

Klan-destine Relationships: A Black Man's Odyssey in the Ku Klux Klan

While marching in a cub-scout parade, young Daryl Davis was pelted by rocks and bottles. As a teenager he was told he would be shipped back to Africa. Driven by an intense need to understand those who hate him because of the colour of his skin, Davis decided to seek out the roots of racism. This often dangerous journey took him to the very heart of the fanatical and infamo ...more
Published November 15th 1997 by New Horizon Press

To ask other readers questions about Klan-destine Relationships, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Klan-destine Relationships

Doug
Oct 19, 2013 Doug rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
It has been a while since I got captured by a book that I could not put down until it was finished. Daryl Davis is a musician who experienced racism all his life. And so he decided to start meeting leaders of the Ku Klux Klan. He would call (or have his secretary call - he was a successful musician) Klan people to set up meetings, and just forget to mention he was black, and they would be surprised! Woo!

The thing is... they would still talk to him. And they weren't all what he expected. And he s
Priscilla
This book and its author are extraordinary. What courage! Daryl is an inspiration for us to always strive to see the humanity in others and seek common ground, rather than dismissing folks with polar opposite views out of hand.

"Time and exposure is a great healer--perhaps the only healer for irrational fear and hatred. Laws can be made to take people out of the Klan, but laws cannot be made to take the Klan mentality out of people. The best way we can learn to respect each other is to know each
Clarissa
Feb 08, 2014 Clarissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and to be read by all to start understanding racisms. I was able to relate to Daryl Davis on a special level as we both grew up in different countries (not the one from our parents) and we learned earlier to accept all human without discrimination. Could you not stop reading it.
Feb 13, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok
It was a crazy story, but it could have been much more than that in the hands of a more capable writer. Also, the constant name dropping got pretty old pretty quickly
Sharon
Dec 29, 2015 Sharon rated it liked it
After reading "Natchez Burning" I wanted to read a nonfiction book about racism in Maryland, where I live. A friend recommended "Klan-destine Relationships" by Daryl Davis. Daryl is a local black man, who wanted to better understand the causes of racism and hate. Daryl is a unique man, who had the courage to infiltrate the KKK, interview them, go to their homes, meet their families, and learn their history. Daryl was able to patiently listen to their hate, calmly ask them questions that made the ...more
Larisha
Aug 28, 2015 Larisha rated it really liked it
I heard Mr. Davis speak on an NPR program called: 'Snap Judgement'
I liked the interview, so I requested this book from the library.

I commend Mr. Davis's courage. One thing you learn right away is that there is no one Ku Klux Klan - there are many splinter groups, some of which are rivals. Some more violent than others. (And yes, he gets to know some hate-crime murderers) There are the white supremacists and the white separatists, and they consider themselves very different.

This book is meant to
Yog Sothoth
May 30, 2009 Yog Sothoth rated it it was amazing
One black man's quixotic quest to join the KKK. Daryl Davis was raised abroad, and was surprised by the depth of prejudice in America. He became curious about those who were the most racist, met them, and became their unlikely friends. He collected the Klan robes of those who left the organization after getting to know him. It's not well written, because he's not a writer at heart, but the book deserves a wider audience.
Julene
Nov 24, 2013 Julene rated it liked it
I read a piece of one of the chapters online somewhere and then added this to my 'to read' list. Definitely didn't disappoint.

This book may be a bit longer than necessary (lots of "and then I... followed by... before we finally...") but was a light, interesting read. As a white female, reading a black man's interactions with numerous Klan members of note was really eye-opening. How he maintained his cool in the face of White Supremacists (and Separatists) is beyond me.
Sylvia
Feb 05, 2015 Sylvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This was an excellent and interesting narration of a detectives career and how he was able to infiltrate the KKK.
Jim McCormack
Jun 23, 2012 Jim McCormack rated it really liked it
A good book, interesting quick read.

Tony
Tony rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2017
Maggie Ortiz
Maggie Ortiz rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2008
Peggy
Peggy rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2010
Lee
Lee rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Onionboy
Onionboy rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2017
Razib Khan
Razib Khan rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2016
Clairissa
Clairissa rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2013
Leslie McRobbie
Leslie McRobbie rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2011
Cory
Cory rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Bbbkuehn
Bbbkuehn rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Brad Thompson
Brad Thompson rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2009
Hannah Barfoot
Hannah Barfoot rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
May 31, 2011
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2014
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2017
Safa
Safa rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2009
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2010
Colleen
Colleen rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2011
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
  • The Oatman Massacre: A Tale of Desert Captivity and Survival
  • Straight to Jesus: Sexual and Christian Conversions in the Ex-Gay Movement
  • Power Concedes Nothing: One Woman's Quest for Social Justice in America, from the Courtroom to the Kill Zones
  • Thread of the Silkworm
  • The Devil's Doctor: Paracelsus and the World of Renaissance Magic and Science
  • The New Deal: A Modern History
  • Aleister Crowley: The Nature of the Beast
  • Read Real Japanese Essays: Contemporary Writings by Popular Authors
  • Fight the Power: Rap, Race, and Reality
  • Down to the Sea in Ships: Of Ageless Oceans and Modern Men
  • The Dark Side of the Enlightenment: Wizards, Alchemists, and Spiritual Seekers in the Age of Reason
  • The Emperor and the Wolf: The Lives and Films of Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune
  • Frank Zappa: The Negative Dialectics of Poodle Play