Start by marking “How to Preach Without Notes” as Want to Read:
How to Preach Without Notes

How to Preach Without Notes

A homiletical classic that has stood the test of time, "How to Preach without Notes" has been repackaged for the next generation of preachers.
Published September 1st 2007 by Baker Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about How to Preach Without Notes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Preach Without Notes

Brett
Mar 08, 2012 Brett rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ministry
The title is misleading and many of the practices are outdated (i.e. pre-computer). Koller's work here is more of an introduction to sermon preparation in general than preaching without notes - and as a general introduction, there are several other texts that I would recommend to a young preacher before Koller's. Ironically, nearly half of the book consists of sermon texts (not outlines, but full texts!) that Koller preached without notes.
Adam Johnson
Feb 12, 2014 Adam Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very clear and easy to read. Has helped and will greatly help in the future of my sermon preparation.
Glyn Williams
Not the best book on preaching I have read, but some very good practical advice in here. Not sure if I want to preach without notes though? Don't trust myself that I will include everything I should and may add things I shouldn't. The rest of the advice is pretty good. One or two slight errors in interpretation in his sermon outline examples, but the process he describes is good.

All preachers should refer to this book at least once in their careers.

Another good read in this category is Preach by
Jeff Locke
Not very much here that I wouldn't just figured out intuitively about preaching without notes. There's actually very little about preaching without notes, and a lot about preaching in general. There are far better books about preaching in general this one, such as John Stott's "Between Two Worlds", or Brian Chapell's "Christ Centered Preaching." In the end, the title is misleading; There's only a slight emphasis on preaching without notes, and only a few tips about how to do so.
Timothy Fluegge
I generally preach without notes and was pretty stoked about this book. It really doesn't developed the "without notes" idea, and what it does say on the subject is largely common sense. Because of its billing as a "classic" I expected more. It does break down the mechanics of sermon preparation into very practical info and has challenged me to be sharper in my study habits.
Jonathan Mcleod
I was disappointed that there were only a couple of chapters about preaching without notes. The title doesn't fit the content of the book.
Nat
Sep 23, 2014 Nat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
Doesn't cover the topic found in the title, really. More like entry-level sermon prep with half the book being example sermons.
Garrett
Aug 30, 2011 Garrett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a recommended book. Simple summary: prepare your whole life and trust the Holy Spirit every time you get up and tell people the gospel!
Andy Daniels
Andy Daniels rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Joel McCarty
Joel McCarty rated it it was ok
Nov 12, 2016
Steve Farson
Steve Farson rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Stephen Elliott
Stephen Elliott rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2013
Doug Browne
Doug Browne rated it it was ok
May 28, 2013
Aaron Eby
Aaron Eby rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2012
Robert Justice
Robert Justice rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2014
Brian Hendrix
Brian Hendrix rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2008
Levi Durfey
Levi Durfey rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Adam Pace
Adam Pace rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2015
Justin D. Braun
Justin D. Braun rated it liked it
May 20, 2014
Chris Hendricks
Chris Hendricks rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2014
Stephen Frantz
Stephen Frantz rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Milton Moon Louie
Jul 02, 2014 Milton Moon Louie rated it liked it
All I have to say is you have to prepare, prepare, and prepare. B
Kyle Hoover
Kyle Hoover rated it it was ok
Apr 05, 2013
R.P. Nettelhorst
R.P. Nettelhorst rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2015
Ramon P. Reyes
Ramon P. Reyes rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2017
Scott Paulson
Scott Paulson rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2013
Greg
Greg rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2016
JT
JT rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Milburne Willis,Sr.
Milburne Willis,Sr. rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

“He may not have the eloquence of a ready tongue, but will have that eloquence which is of the heart. His concern in the study will be not merely to prepare sermons, but, even more, to prepare his own heart. And when he preaches it will not be in feeble whispers, but with the spiritual vitality of the prophets and apostles, of whom he is a lineal descendant.” 0 likes