Start by marking “The Witches” as Want to Read:
The Witches

The Witches

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  211,936 Ratings  ·  4,598 Reviews
This is not a fairy tale. This is about real witches.

Grandmamma loves to tell about witches. Real witches are the most dangerous of all living creatures on earth. There's nothing they hate so much as children, and they work all kinds of terrifying spells to get rid of them. Her grandson listens closely to Grandmamma's stories—but nothing can prepare him for the day he come
Published August 16th 2007 by Puffin Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Witches, please sign up.

Akshat Roxx the existence of witches cannot be explained as they are mythical creatures, these are not yet proved by anyone but several sightings have been…morethe existence of witches cannot be explained as they are mythical creatures, these are not yet proved by anyone but several sightings have been made....it is for you to decide wheteher they exist as they are perfectly hidden in the society....they may be anywhere....they might be ur neighbour or EVEN A MEMBER OF THIS WEBSITE GOODREADS......who knows!!(less)
The Ugly Truth by Jeff KinneyRodrick Rules by Jeff KinneyThe Last Straw by Jeff KinneyDog Days by Jeff KinneyDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
8th out of 99 books — 33 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Books that scored a five by me
321st out of 3,276 books — 1,182 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
Re-read for our classics discussion Friday 10/30! Still had me giggling from the very first chapter.
Jessica
May 08, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Warning: Extremely Long Review and Childhood Storytelling

When I was ten or eleven, I was sitting in the playground at summer camp, minding my own business and reading this book, when one of the playground supervisers came and asked me what I was reading. When I showed it to him, his eyes got wide and he took the book from me. Then he went to the trash can and started ripping it up, page by page. And he washed his hands afterwards, "to get rid of the filth." It was a library book. He was just goi
Michael
I was a very sheltered child.

Or was I a wuss? I was probably a wuss.

For instance, when I was a little tot, Sammy Terry scared the shit out of me. I remember being frightened by commercials of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, and the one time I inadvertently saw part of a Friday the 13th movie on TV? Fogettaboutit. Nightmares for weeks.

But that all came later.

But this book. Oh, this was traumatic shit.

I was in preschool, probably 4 years old, when the teacher decided to read us The Witche
Mariel
Nov 05, 2010 Mariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dancers
Recommended to Mariel by: greedy kid me
I've noticed for years and years that critics love to say that Roald Dahl is "spinning in his grave" over some such filmic adaptation of his works. I'm a curious type person so I had to look up what the hell was in his grave, anyway. He was buried with pool cues, his typewriter and pencils (backup?). Guess he'd need to hustle his way past the pearly gates? I'm kidding! Don't dance on my grave. (Gosh, real critics are so harsh.) If he's spinning I guess there's plenty in there to make lots of rac ...more
sarafem
I would love to know why I am the only person on the planet who did not like this book. I tried to find some bad reviews on GoodReads, but the only one and two star reviews said things like "Bad no like mousey! dlksk djglsk diewqls!" I'm assuming they were in a foreign language and not written by a kid who could not type, but I was too lazy to click on the profiles. Maybe I should learn the language and go live there, where we can all unite in our hatred of this book.

It seems to me that 90% of t
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
The witches of England have a plan to do away with ALL English children. This little Norwegian orphan boy and his grandmamma come up with a plan to do away with all English witches instead. When they've accomplished that task, the little boy is noticeably altered in size and appearance. He doesn't mind, though. He sets off cheerfully with his grandmamma on a grand tour to rid the entire WORLD of those evil witchy creatures.

I've always known there were real witches in the world, because Mrs. Nai
Brendon Schrodinger
Dec 21, 2015 Brendon Schrodinger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Witches are out there. You're lucky you're reading this now. It means that a witch never got you as a child or you escaped from their clutches.

Witches are demons and have the following features: they wear wigs, they have squared-off feet with no toes and they smell faintly like old urinal. They have an insatiable need to kill, maim and turn children into animals. They can't stand children because to them they smell like dog poo.

And they love meetings. And they love forming a club.

I swear I have
Brian
Sep 03, 2015 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Readers in the Roald Dahl know come to his books with an understanding that PG-13 level violence and mayhem are a part of his charms. This fast moving tale doesn't let fans down; all of the recognizable Dahlian tropes are on display and we are rooting for the child all the way to the end.

I had the extra bonus of having this read to me by my daughter. She's at the stage now where she tries on different accents for each character; her English accent was adorable. So, five stars for the book, five
notgettingenough

The trouble with this movie, is that we are supposed to cheer for the wrong side. The premise, for those who haven’t read or seen it, is that the witches have a practically foolproof plan to turn all the children of the UK into mice.

I mean, what’s not to like?

You may say I shouldn’t have been watching this movie with a cat. It’s true, the cat and I have never been more on the same wave length. As I sat there biting my nails and screaming at those witches ‘not the soup, please don’t eat the cre
Roya
Sep 20, 2016 Roya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quite-good
The Witches and I go way back. We had a stack of Dahl's books and I always wondered what it was about. Then one day in art class, the teacher read a passage from the book describing the Grand High Witch which we were then supposed to draw. It was a fun class for the most part. After drawing the Grand High Witch, I became so curious that I had to read the book. The first read was magical. It's probably the only frightening book that I've been able to read and enjoy. I've read nearly all of Dahl's ...more
Manny
Headlands Hotel

For people who don't already know: the hotel used in the movie actually exists. It's The Headlands Hotel, Newquay, England, and I've eaten there several times.

The staff are friendly and well aware of the relevant history. If you ask, they'll show you the room where the witches had their big meeting and the spot where the baby carriage nearly gets pushed off the cliff. The food is good, and you get a fantastic view over the bay, where people surf in summer. Recommended!
Irena
Feb 02, 2016 Irena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5
Review to come later today.
Saoirse Sterling
Read as part of the #InfiniteVariety2016 Reading Challenge based on the BBC's Big Read poll.

There seem to be several types of Roald Dahl books: the usual, weird and often absurd, and the more linear and normal, with aspects of realism coupled with utter nonsense. I kind of like them both, but it takes a while to get your head around the fact that the same person wrote them. I'm not sure Dahl really intended to have a varied style, but often the length of the book determines just how linear it ac
Kimberly Sabatini
May 23, 2013 Kimberly Sabatini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg-ya
I'll be honest. My boys and I LOVE Roald Dahl books. All of them. Rather than review this book in my predictably gushy manner, I thought I would tell you a funny story that happened during our nightly reading sessions...

For those unfamiliar with the story, a grandmother is instructing her grandson on the multiple ways one might recognize a witch in disguise. While giving this info to my eight year old, he checked me over to confirm that I was indeed, not a witch. When he heard they wore itchy wi
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Witches, Roald Dahl
عنوان: جادوگرها؛ نویسنده: رولد دال؛ مترجم: شهلا طهماسبی؛ تهران، مرکز مریم؛ 1377، در 208 ص؛ چاپ سوم 1382؛
خلاصه ی داستان:قهرمان داستان پسر کوچکِ نروژی ست که در سن هفت سالگی پدر و مادرش را در یک سانحه ی رانندگی از دست داده. او به نروژ میرود و به همراه مادربزرگش زندگی میکند. مادربزرگ او زنی ست مسن که تجربه و دانسته های بسیاری از جادوگرها دارد و در اوایل داستان تلاش میکند که با متقاعد کردن نوه اش مبنی بر این که جادوگرها واقعی هستند، این دانسته ها را به او بیاموزد. قهرمان داست
mohsen pourramezani
پسر نوجوانی همراه پدر و مادرش به نروژ میرود تا مادربزرگش را ببیند. پدر و مادرش بر اثر یک حادثه رانندگی فوت میکنند و مادربزرگش سرپرستی پسرک را به عهده میگیرد. مادربزرگ برای پسرک داستانهایی از جادوگرها تعریف میکند و نشانههایی میدهد که چگونه میشود یک جادوگر واقعی را شناخت. زمانِ باز شدن مدرسهها میرسد و بر اساس وصیت والدین، آنها مجبورند به انگلستان برگردند. یک روز پسرک به طور اتفاقی جادوگرها را از نزدیک میبیند و درگیر ماجراهایی میشود...
داستان روان و جذابی داشت و خواندنش لذتبخش بود. هر چند پایانبندیا
Stacey (prettybooks)
This is a short blogpost taken from Thoughts on Roald Dahl: The BFG, The Witches & Fantastic Mr. Fox.

The Witches was chosen as part of this year's Halloween Reads and it was a perfect children's book for October! It was everything I hoped it would be from the very first page. Again, it made me think how spot on the adaptations are – they capture the tone of each book perfectly. The Witches is morbidly funny, terrifying and brilliantly inventive, and it'll make any child wonder whether witche
Ilaria
Jan 15, 2016 Ilaria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
non importa chi sei o che aspetto hai. Basta che qualcuno ti ami.
Ms. Vigilante
Oct 16, 2014 Ms. Vigilante rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Such a good book! Anyone can read this fun loving tale about witches, real witches! I really enjoy this book because it is entertaining. It follows the path of a boy who sets out to take out all the witches in the world. I like the bond the boy and his Grandmamma have! This is just a fun fantasy tale, it is especially great to read before Halloween. If you are a Roald Dahl fan, this book is for you!
Annet
Jun 07, 2013 Annet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Gorgeous, cute book and the illustrations of Quentin Blake are just too cute as well. I've seen the movie of course several times and hey, the movie has a different ending, that is a surprise! Roald Dahl, a great, entertaining writer...! I really need to start reading the 'grown-up' books soon :-)
Trish
Oct 07, 2015 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know the story of Matilda but only from the film adaptation so The Witches was my first book by Roald Dahl. The story seemed oddly familiar and I think I might have read it when I was younger (in school perhaps?) or may have seen the movie (I googled, there is one with Anjelica Houston as The Grand High Witch) but I can't remember.

Anyway, the story was quite good. A little creepy, a little weird, a little funny, a little adventurous - the perfect mix.
I've heard people say that this was too sca
Bookvergent
Jun 27, 2016 Bookvergent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this 8 years ago! WOW! and I still remember how much I loved this book! So intriguing! One of the best books I read in middle school! Maybe if I read it again I will enjoy it just as much! And guys the movie was so cool!
Flannery
I did an analysis of the differences between the book and the movie here.
Jesse
Jul 16, 2015 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: formative
Was at a friend's last night, saw this on his bookshelf and couldn't resist borrowing it. Subsequently spent an enjoyable sit revisiting an old favorite. Because this is an old favorite--my favorite Roald Dahl book, to be exact, which means growing it was one of my VERY favorite books. Technically, it's probably a four star book--it takes a bit too long to get going and far too long to wrap up--but the nostalgia factor kicks it up to five star level. The central mock-RSPCC meeting, with its incr ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
This is a dark-edged children's tale about a group of witches who despise children who they believe smell like "dogs droppings". These witches don't hold back their hatred for these "small piles of filth" and at their annual meeting they devise a plan to rid the earth of these vomit inducing creatures by turning them into mice and exterminating them. What they haven't planned on is the ingenuity of one brave little boy who overhears their dastardly plans and does his best to thwart them.

This boo
Christina
Latasha
Aug 24, 2016 Latasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
I'm going to tell you about these blue spitting demons but I'm not going to tell you how I lost my thumb! this book is crazy! in a good way. I loved it!
Mai
Kuka pelkää noitia kirjassa on niitä noitia, jotka haluavat hävittää maailmasta kaikki lapset, koska noidat ovat ilkeitä, kamalia, hirveitä ja julmia satuolentoja. Roald Dahl on kirjoittanut mitä karmaisevimpia esimerkkejä noidista mm. sen, että noidat ovat oikeasti kaljuja, niiden hansikkaiden alta löytyy kissankynnet ja heillä ei ole ollenkaan varpaita. Hm. Pahinta on, että heillä on kiltin naisen naamari päässä ja naamarin takaa paljastuu...
Kuka pelkää noitia satukirjasta ei puutu vauhtia ja
bp
May 09, 2007 bp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 5th graders. And their parents.
The way my life is recently, I'd be lucky to be able to finish reading the headline of the Post before having to attend to something else.
So in the absense of any meaningful free time in my life, I will be reviewing books from years past, the glory days when I could actually curl up on the couch and fall into a story. Or in the case of Roald Dahl, through the scary trap-door into bizarro world of teacher-witches, crazy chocolate factory owners, and insects live and chat with youngsters inside o
Jenny
Sep 25, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘It doesn't matter who you are or what you look like so long as somebody loves you.’

Μου άρεσε πολύ!Μάγισσες,ποντικάκια,φίλτρα,περιπέτεια.Ομολογώ ότι κατά τη διάρκεια της ανάγνωσης σκέφτηκα πολλές φορές ότι δεν είναι για παιδιά κάτω των 10 ετών-αρκετές περιγραφές θα φανούν τρομακτικές σε μικρά παιδάκια.
Συνολικά όμως είναι μια όμορφη ιστορία με πολύ γλυκό τέλος. :)
  • Pluk van de Petteflet
  • Magic by the Lake (Tales of Magic, #3)
  • The Great Ghost Rescue
  • Geef me de ruimte! (Trilogie over de 100 jarige oorlog, #1)
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3)
  • The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2)
  • Bony-legs
  • The Eleventh Hour
  • Geheimen van het Wilde Woud
  • De katten van Kruisem
  • The Fairy Rebel
  • The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Lewis Barnavelt, #1)
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)
  • The Devil's Storybook
  • The Cut-throat Celts

More about Roald Dahl...

“It doesn't matter who you are or what you look like, so long as somebody loves you.” 1470 likes
“She might even be your lovely school-teacher who is reading these words to you at this very moment. Look carefully at that teacher. Perhaps she is smiling at the absurdity of such a suggestion. Don't let that put you off. It could be part of cleverness.

I am not, of course, telling you for one second that your teacher actually is a witch. All I am saying is that she might be one. It is most unlikely. But--here comes the big "but"--not impossible.”
191 likes