Start by marking “The Sparrow Conundrum” as Want to Read:
The Sparrow Conundrum

The Sparrow Conundrum

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  23 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Winner of the 'Humor' section of the 2011 Forward National Literature Awards 2011. Winner also of the Big Al's Books and Pals Readers' Choice Award for Humor and Satire 2012.

Chris Machin isn’t his name, at least not to the bottom feeders in Aberdeen squabbling over North Sea oil and gas contracts. Chris has a code name, and when his garden explodes, The Sparrow takes fligh
Published March 16th 2011 by PfixChase (first published March 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Sparrow Conundrum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sparrow Conundrum

Heikki
Sep 14, 2011 Heikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bill Kirton's The Sparrow Conundrum is a truly entertaining read.

In the underworld surrounding the Aberdeen oil business there is a bunch of thugs who like to have an elaborate code name system based on birds. The Cage is run by the Eagle, and the ranks descend in various stages of fearsomeness through Kestrel and Hawk onwards, until we come face to face with... Sparrow.

Chris Machin is really way out of his league when he is scooped into the world of criminals who like finger-busting and quick k
Melissa Conway
May 17, 2011 Melissa Conway rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indies
Full disclosure: the author of The Sparrow Conundrum, Bill Kirton, is an esteemed Booksquawk contributor. He provided me with a free ebook copy for this review.

In his youth, Chris Machin rather accidently got involved with the mob. Astonished to find himself entangled with a woman way out of his league, he blindly obeyed her every wish and soon found himself muling drugs for the Bellazzo brothers. Now Machin’s garden has exploded and the hapless school teacher is paying for his past indiscretion
Chris Longmuir
Jun 04, 2011 Chris Longmuir rated it it was amazing
I started reading this book expecting it to be one of Bill Kirton's excellent dark crime books and after a brief period of confusion, which wasn't surprising, considering this is a spoof crime novel, I started chuckling and then laughing. I think I became as manic as the book. It is a story full of surprises, twists and turns. The characters are enjoyably over the top, from the weak-kneed Machin to the psychotic police inspector who is constantly trying to rearrange evidence to increase his arre ...more
R.B. Wood
May 09, 2011 R.B. Wood rated it it was amazing
The Sparrow Conundrum is one of those rare spoofs that made me laugh out loud. Bill Kirton does a slick job in painting a skewed picture of the mob racket—think Reservoir Dogs, only better.

From the poor teacher with the moniker of “Sparrow” to the bumbling hitman, to the out-of-place Texan as a figurehead of an Aberdeen, Scotland-based crime “family,” The Sparrow Conundrum is a wonderfully tongue-in-cheek peek inside the flighty workings of criminal “masterminds”

Mr. Kirton paints a wonderfully r
Pete Morin
Dec 17, 2011 Pete Morin rated it really liked it
This novel represents everything I love about British humor.

It is over-the-top Benny-Hill-meets-James-Bond type humor, and I'm never sure which is being lampooned.

It's the kind of novel that makes publisher's editors scratch their heads and say (in all likelihood), "Oh, I'd love to buy this, but what will my bosses think?" Bookstores would have to build a shelf for one book. Better yet, put it on an end cap near the front door.
Linda Faulkner
Oct 01, 2011 Linda Faulkner rated it really liked it
Excellent story displaying the author's offbeat sense of humor and wry perception of the human condition. Expect to alternately laugh like crazy and shake your head in amazement.
Linda Faulkner
Oct 01, 2011 Linda Faulkner rated it it was amazing
Terrific book - a wry and amusing portrait of the human condition.
Al
Apr 09, 2012 Al rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, read-2012
I saw this described as a “crime spoof,” which is a perfect description. It is full of humor, often dry and subtle, as the stereotype of English humor would indicate. I learned the names of obscure (to me) birds and fish, which are used as codenames amongst the criminals; thankfully, my Kindle dictionary knew them all. Many of the criminals, especially the protagonist Chris Machin, are likeable and sympathetic (with the exception of those crimes they’re supposed to be committing). In contrast, t ...more
Emma Stewart
Emma Stewart rated it did not like it
Oct 03, 2015
Vishal
Vishal rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2015
Teri Zuckerman
Teri Zuckerman marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Graham Chadwick
Graham Chadwick rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Tess Makovesky
Tess Makovesky rated it really liked it
May 25, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Sara Bain
Sara Bain rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2013
Mark Owen
Mark Owen marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2013
Anson Scott
Anson Scott rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2013
Paul Standley
Paul Standley is currently reading it
Dec 11, 2012
Tasma
Tasma marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2012
Hazza
Hazza marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2012
Janice Horton
Janice Horton rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2012
Frithnanth
Frithnanth rated it did not like it
Oct 09, 2012
Fiona Glass
Fiona Glass rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2012
Daphne Q
Daphne Q rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2012