Start by marking “The Ship Engineer (Workplace Encounters, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Ship Engineer (Workplace Encounters, #3)

The Ship Engineer (Workplace Encounters #4)

This edition is no longer available. The book will be re-released by Diversity Novels.

Can a straight-laced ship engineer and a happy-go-lucky musical dancer find enough common ground to discover a future together?

Nathan Kappas is a ship engineer who prefers the predictability of machines to people. He has just been promoted to second engineer on a mid-size cruise ship, hop
Paperback, 1st edition, 166 pages
Published June 28th 2011 by Silver Publishing (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Ship Engineer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ship Engineer

Serena Yates
May 13, 2015 Serena Yates added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: written-by-me, gay
Rereleased today, on 13 May 2015, this is the fourth book in my Workplace Encounters series; inspired by men meeting at work - but definitely staying away from the so-called office romance. This series looks at all types of workplace, even the occasional office may play a role, but the 'romance part' is guaranteed not to take place there.

A.J. Llewellyn
Mar 13, 2011 A.J. Llewellyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
I was lucky enough to read an advanced copy of this and I can't endorse it more. I loved Nathan and the fact that he had perfect looks and an imperfect personality made for a compelling character.
He is a man who also has a big secret that I won't reveal here, but I must say it did surprise me. It only added to the mystique of cruise ship travel and his possibilities of romance.
There was enough information on the inner workings of the ship engineer's life to make this story interesting and differ
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
These guys were just so sweet. I would recommend it for when you want a sweet romance with some hot man on man action (not a lot of sex but there was plenty IMO). Although I liked the previous two books they are not connected so you don’t have to read them first.

I loved Nathan; I think because I like nerdy intellectual guys that are uber sweet but don’t even know they are sweet.
Lena Grey
Oct 04, 2011 Lena Grey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Often people struggle through life with the feeling that something important is lacking. Yet, at the same time, they try to convince themselves things are ok or worse yet, think their life is as good as it's going to get. When someone reaches this point, they need help seeing beyond it and the best motivation I can think of is falling in love. When that special someone comes along, everything takes on a new meaning. When you can see your potential through loving eyes, it encourages you to strive ...more
Morgan  Skye
May 07, 2015 Morgan Skye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nathan is a socially awkward, virgin! who starts a new job on a cruise ship where he meets the very outgoing Harper. Harper is a performer who gets a job on a cruise ship, escaping an abusive ex.

There is very little angst between Nathan and Harper as their relationship develops and grows. It becomes clear to Nathan that Harper means more than a ship-board romance when he is kidnapped by his ex.

Like the previous books in this series we get a unique look at a profession – in this case working on a
Edina Rose
Apr 27, 2011 Edina Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a sweet romance. The two heroes are a very good match!
Aerin
May 12, 2015 Aerin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

Finally the pattern has been broken!!! I’m so happy that nobody lost their job in this book as it happened in all 3 previous books in this series, it makes for a nice change of pace. I liked this novella, it was light and the pace was good, it makes for a great read when you’re in the mood for something sweet and without a ton of angst. And virgin alert!!!!

Nathan and Harper’s attraction is pretty much instant, and I liked that because the chemistry between them seemed genuine. Nathan is
❀~Amy~❀

I feel bad for this review seeing how everyone else here really like it, but this was just kind of ok for me. I liked both MC well enough, but had a few issues with the story itself.

We are introduced to Nathan as someone who has very horrible people skills. He promises that he will work on this issue if his employer gives him the promotion that moves him to the ship Harper is on. Of course, once he gets to the new ship and meets Harper, this vanishes. There is next to no mention made t
Phoenix
I'm only giving this story a 3 because the two main characters were so sweet together. In truth I didn't even finish it. Again it's a story that seemed to be written by someone with the maturity of a teenager. Someone who took their dreams and their high school pain and put them in a book without the wisdom learned from getting past such challenges. I don't mean to be insulting, but one of the main characters is carefree fun loving dancer who's been beat down and cheated on by every man he's dat ...more
Mar 17, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Absorbed in his work and with limited people skills, Nathan Kappas joins the crew of a luxury cruise ship, the Sapphire, as second engineer. Nathan's life becomes much more interesting when bumps into Harper Quade, who is on board to entertain passengers on a 110-day schedule from Los Angeles via the South Pacific and South Africa to London. The romance that blossoms between the two men on the cruise evolves in a believable way. While there is an instant attraction between them, the characters a ...more
Serena Yates
Apr 02, 2011 Serena Yates added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: written-by-me, gay
Released today, on April 2, this is the third book in my Workplace Encounters series; inspired by men meeting at work - but definitely staying away from the so-called office romance. This series looks at all types of workplace, even the occasional office may play a role, but the 'romance part' is guaranteed not to take place there.

This story is about straight-laced ship engineer Nathan Kappas, who (literally) runs into happy-go-lucky musical dancer, Harper Quade. The sparks fly, but can they esc
pbj
This book was ok. The writing is good, the characters are sympathetic, but it did utilize two of my most disliked m/m cliches.
(view spoiler)
Patricia
Apr 06, 2011 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy this series. The characters are so believable, they are "real" people.

I loved Nathan and Harper. Nathan working through his insecurities and his inexperience in relationships was a joy to read. Harper with his outgoing personality and a tiny bit of sass was the perfect partner for Nathan.

The book as it all...romance, a stalker, dealing with past relationships, trying to deal with a current relationship and dealing with people who get in the way.

I loved this book and will wait "pat
Heather♥
Apr 26, 2011 Heather♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the details about life on a cruise ship and thought Harper and Nathan were great together. Harper was such a ray of sunshine and even though Nathan wasn't a people person, there was never any doubt how much he cared about Harper. A loving relationship was new to both of them and it was wonderful to see them take that tender journey together.
Kiki
Apr 04, 2011 Kiki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
sweet and simple
Gaa-chan
Danielle
This is just one of those book where not a lot happens. Seems like the whole point was to explore Nathan's inexperience. Not that Harper was having trouble indoctrinating Nathan. Got to say though for someone who was in an abusive relationship I just feel as though Harper moved REALLY quickly and clearly hadn't learned anything in his previous attempts at finding someone.

Oh well, it was a quick short read.
Jess
Jan 12, 2016 Jess rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, erotica, romance, gay
While the sex was hot and I liked the dynamic between the two main characters, I thought the dialogue was awful, there was too much saccharine-sweetness, and some of the plots were too contrived to keep me interested (the abusive ex, the "kidnapping," etc.). I might give the others a try, but so far, I'm not too impressed with Yates.
Katy Beth Mckee
Jan 11, 2013 Katy Beth Mckee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-books, m-m
Nathan doesn't have great people skills and Harper is great at making friends. Both end up working on the same ship and they hit it off. They have to deal with some things but they get through it together and find their way to smooth cruising.
Brenda Maldonado
This story didn't quite work for me. The 30 year-old virgin, the cabin switcharoo, the insta-love...all of these pulled me out of the story. I am usually good about suspending disbelief. Maybe it was just not a good day for me to read this book.
Chappy
Cute story but a little cheesy and heavy on the insta-love.

Nathan the quiet virgin ship engineer meets Harper the dancer on the run from a crazy ex-boyfriend.
Bobbette
Sep 16, 2015 Bobbette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I enjoyed the story and the chemistry between the two MCs, but the author left Bryce as a loose end. It would've been nice to know what the cruise line did to him for his actions.
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2011
LaShonta
LaShonta rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2011
Sablefyre
Sablefyre rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2012
K.A.
K.A. rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2012
nun74
nun74 rated it really liked it
May 16, 2011
Ric
Ric rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Dreamspinner Press: The Ship Engineer by Serena Yates 1 7 May 14, 2015 12:06AM
  • Moments
  • Night and Day (Night and Day, #1)
  • The Severing (The Severing #1)
  • Race the Sun (Enchanted, #1)
  • January: Miami's Perfect Weekend (Calendar Boys, #1)
  • Some Like it Rough (The Gentlemen's Club, #2)
  • Condor One (Condor, #1)
  • The Cake (Elemental Superpowers, #1)
  • A Weapon Of Opportunity
  • Degranon: A Science Fiction Adventure
  • Finding Eden (Clear Water Creek Chronicles #4)
  • The Secret of Talmor Manor
  • Tea and Crumpet
  • Body of Water (The Orcadian Novels, #1)
  • Wheels
  • Second Chance Bite (Wolf Harem, #1)
I’m a night owl and start writing when everyone else in my time zone is asleep. I’ve loved reading all my life and spent most of my childhood with my nose buried in a book. Although I always wanted to be a writer, financial independence came first. Twenty-some years and a successful business career later I took some online writing classes and never looked back.

Living and working in seven countries
More about Serena Yates...

Workplace Encounters (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Elevator Mechanic (Workplace Encounters, #1)
  • The Chauffeur (Workplace Encounters, #2)
  • The Bricklayer (Workplace Encounters, #3)
  • The Carpenter (Workplace Encounters, #5)
  • The Baker (Workplace Encounters, #6)
  • The Truck Driver (Workplace Encounters, #7)
  • The Model (Workplace Encounters, #8)
  • The Plumber (Workplace Encounters, #9)
  • The Cellar Hand (Workplace Encounters, #10)
  • The Florist (Workplace Encounters, #11)