Shake Hands Forever

Shake Hands Forever (Inspector Wexford #9)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,025 ratings  ·  60 reviews
The bed was neatly made, and the woman on top neatly strangled.

According to all accounts, Angela Hathall was deeply in love with her husband and far too paranoid to invite an unknown person into their home. So who managed to gain entry and strangle her without a struggle? That is the problem facing Inspector Wexford in Shake Hands Forever. Perhaps it was the mystery woman...more
Other Format, 0 pages
Published April 1st 2011 by AudioGO (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Shake Hands Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shake Hands Forever

Katie
Mar 03, 2012 Katie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rendell Fans,Anglophiles, Literary Crime Lovers
Recommended to Katie by: me
I thought I had it all figured out. I was wrong, again. Per usual, red herrings abound in this Inspector Wexford centered mystery.

A woman is found dead in her home; she's been strangled by what appears to be a gilded necklace. The only evidence? Three coarse hairs and a fingerprint showing a small half-moon scar.

It's 1975, so there aren't any computer data bases, and other modern detective devices, which makes Inspector Wexford's job all the more difficult, and interesting.

Ruth Rendell is a po...more
Trish
Nancy
As my husband and I listened to this book in the car, we stopped the CD a couple times to wonder why Wexford was being blocked by his supervisor from from investigating people who seemed to us to be the most likely murderers. Needless to say there are twists and surprises that make it worth 4 stars so the delay was needed as a plot device. Surely some more plausible plot device could have been devised.

A caution for those who plan to listen to the audio version read by Nigel Anthony. He voices on...more
Bev
Chronologically, this comes about midway through the Inspector Wexford series. The crime this time is the murder of Angela Hathall, who was found by her mother-in-law, lying on her (Angela's) bed, strangled. There are almost no clues, the place was been wiped clean. there is no murder weapon and the husband has an iron-clad alibi. As the investigation progresses (or doesn't), leads grow cold. Wexford is convinced that the husband and some other person conspired to kill his wife, but that doesn't...more
Tess
In this mystery Rendell quotes Chesterton and I love the quote:

"There are no words to express the abyss between isolation and having one ally. It may be conceded to the mathematician that four is twice two, but two is not twice one..."
Stacey
I liked this one. Not nearly as dated as the rock concert one, and I liked the continuing relationship between Wexford and his nephew, the business with Wexford losing weight, and his maybe/maybe not liaison with Mrs. Lake. Nice twist ending.
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Kathleen Hagen
Shake Hands Forever, by Ruth Rendell, an Inspector Wexford mystery) narrated by Nigel Anthony, produced by BBC Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

Mr. Hathall met his mother at the train station. He indicated that his wife, Angela, was supposed to bring the car to pick them up, but Angela and the car never arrived. So mother and son walked from the station to the house. His mother kept chiding him the whole time, telling him he shouldn’t have married Angela and that he should have stayed with his...more
Sandra
Um livro de mistério que me agradou bastante e cuja leitura é ideal para esta época do ano, enroscada no sofá com a lareira acesa.
É impressionante que este livro tenha sido escrito em 1975. Este facto faz-me valorizar ainda mais esta obra.

Este é mais um livro onde entra o perspicaz Inspector Wexford. O caso inicia-se com a ida relutante da mãe de Robert Hathall a casa deste, com o objectivo de fazer as pazes com a nora. No entanto, ao chegarem a casa do casal, Robert e a sua mãe, estranham o si...more
Bev Hankins
Despite the fact that neither Robert Hathall nor his wife Angela seemed particularly likeable...and that each appeared to outsiders to be as paranoid and "nervy" as all get out, no one seemed to dispute the fact that they were very much in love with each other. There's not much money rolling about--Robert has been married before and his extra cash is destined for alimony and child support. So...no jealousy motive, no money motive, and a poor showing of a burglary motive...why was Angela Hathall...more
Esme
Chief Inspector Reginald Wexford aus der fiktiven Kleinstadt Kingsmarkham in Sussex ist ein Phänomen.
An allen Romanen von Ruth Rendell schätze ich den bis ins letzte Detail ausgearbeiteten Plot. Da stimmt alles, jede Kleinigkeit ist bei der Auflösung des Falles am Ende wichtig. Jedoch ohne das die Geschichten konstruiert wirken.

Sehr gut gefällt mir, dass Wexford öfter mal in der Bibliothek recherchiert und auf diese Weise schon so manchen Fall aufgeklärt hat.
Beruhigend in der ganzen Masse von Kr...more
Pmalcpoet Pat Malcolm
Even this 1975 vintage novel is as tightly plotted as the most recent. Rendell has been a fine author from the start...or is it, she hasn't lost her touch? Whatever, a thoroughly enjoyable procedural in the finest British tradition. Not as dark as some of her other novels, which I also enjoy. Perfect for the beach, on a plane, wherever. I love to read these, and am on a journey this summer to read as many of the series as I can get from my library system.
Shyla
This is definitely not a book I would have picked out to read for myself, it was a bookclub read. And although I was put off at first by the fact it was written decades ago and read like a show on BBC I still liked it. This is a true, old fashioned mystery. It reminded me of an Agatha Christie or Sherlock Holmes type. The murder mystery is interesting and kept me guessing and although I had an idea of who was behind it I would never have been able to put all the peices together myself and was su...more
Edward Rush
This started out strongly, but it is a book of its time (1975). The grossly unequal gender relations on which the plot turns seem archaic today. The big revelation at the end of mistaken identity had little impact. I'll read anything by RR because of her beautiful style and keen observation, but this book definitely belongs to her juvenile period.
Shonna Froebel
This is one of Rendell's that I missed and finally got around to reading. Inspector Wexford and his sidekick Burden, get a case of a murdered wife. The woman is discovered by her mother-in-law upon arrival for a weekend visit. The husband was at work when the murder occured, but Wexford is sure of his involvement. Wexford is however forbidden from more contact with the man after a complaint of harrassment and is forced to take his actions on the case onto his own time. He gets his nephew, in the...more
Manda
I find that I never really warm to characters written by Ruth Rndell I'm not entirely sure why - there seems to be something clinical about the writing somehow. At any rate, I quite enjoy the journey of her stories. I just couldn't read several one after each other.

This book is about a wife strangled on her bed. Wexford is pretty convinced that her husband done it, but he has an alibi. The police drop the investigation. Wexford doesn't.

Actually the most interesting things for me was the descrt...more
Pam Kennedy
Another thoroughly enjoyable murder mystery from Ruth Rendell. While murder mysteries are not my usual favorite genre these pleasant excursions with Inspector Wexford and the quite British setting are a nice change of pace.
Kate
I don't have much to compare this book to--I can't remember the last time I read a mystery. But this was a fun read--though what bookclub will discuss about it I really couldn't say. Coming into the middle of a series, I couldn't understand why the protagonist's boss would give him a hard time, given that a series of books has been written about his crime-solving prowess. And I'm not clear on whether he cheated on his wife and if that's in keeping with his character. But otherwise I thought the...more
Barbara
Inspector Wexford goes rogue cop after he is told to lay off his prime suspect in a murder case by his chief. Of course, Wexford going rogue is not "Dirty Harry" in its proportions but very "English" ...

Are Wexford's instincts right? That of course is the answer to the mystery. Will you find yourself realising the answer before Wexford, or will you be like Wexford's nephew (a fellow police officer) only aware of the truth when Wexford sets it out?

Rendell, as always, brings the man Wexford (and h...more
Ann
I found this to be a more enjoyable Inspector Wexford mystery than I've previously encountered. I got a more personal sense of Wexford's character this time around; his determination, his marriage relationship, and his work environment. I also found the plot more intriguing as well. Wexford has a case of marital murder that threatens to become all consuming for him. He knows Mr. Hathall is guilty but can't prove it until sheer doggedness turns up results. It's a short, but engaging, mystery whic...more
Henry
Good early Wexford, well-paced, interesting resolution......
Dianne
I never saw this ending coming.
Tracy
Slow moving story and not a very good reader for the audio version. A young woman is found dead in her own bed, by her husband and mother-in-law. Though the husband has been visiting his mother out of town all week, and has many witnesses, Wexford becomes convinced he killed his wife. He becomes obsessed and this is where the story gets old. Solving the case takes over a year. Still, you find yourself rooting for Wexford to catch the guy, and the true crime solution is a bit of a surprise.
Mary
Great fun! I did manage to work this one out pretty early on...at least the 'who done it' part. But the story is always good and the twists and turns are interesting.

A woman is found murdered in her home by her mother-in-law. Wexford is certain that the husband did it, but can't prove it. He is told by his superiors to quit harassing the widower, but just can't help himself! With the suspect leaving for Brazil, Wexford has only days to make his case...can he do it?
Jill Hutchinson
A short little book in the Wexford series and although not my favorite, it is still a satisfactory read. Wexford becomes obsessed with a man who he suspects has killed his wife and must bend some rules to keep the investigation moving. The suspect is so unlikeable that you hope he is guilty. The case takes some interesting turns before the conclusion and keeps the reader guessing. A quick read for the Wexford fan.
Melanie
Life is too short to read drawn out detective novels that focus on the detective rather then the case. Especially when the detective is old and boring. The case, from what I gleaned and the blurb could have been interesting, but the BS involving the detective's almost affair, previous cases and weird relationship with the city of London nearly put me to sleep! Time to move on to a good book.
Just arrived from Porto Alegre through BM.

Another great masterpiece written by the "new Lady of Crime". I do love the Wexford's series, the best in my opinion.

There is a movie version based on this book Shake Hands Forever: Part One (1988) with Tom Wilkinson acting as Robert Hathall.
Rita
1975. Well-written, though not memorably so.

Some nice bits of psychology, though the characters do not come alive for me.

goodreads reviews all focused on the plot, nobody mentioned anything 'literary'... that tells us something.
A nice way to pass the time.

A better book of hers is Anna's Book, written under a pseudonym [Barbara Vine]
Katie
I love that even though I knew who was generally involved in the murder, there were still a couple of twists right at the end of this book that I wasn't expecting. This is not a story full of drama and emotion - instead it's purely a "who done it" and how was it done. A puzzle to figure out as the evidence unfolds.
Deb W
Ruth writes a steady mystery and her characters have their endearing qualities, but this particular work lingered on the edge of "why am I still reading this?" and only marginally satisfied me once completed. I will keep reading her, but I hope this isn't an indication of the quality of work that follows.
  • King Solomon's Carpet
  • The Wood Beyond (Dalziel & Pascoe, #15)
  • The Daughters of Cain (Inspector Morse, #11)
  • Bloodhounds (Peter Diamond, #4)
  • The Chalon Heads (Brock & Kolla, #4)
  • Colour Scheme (Roderick Alleyn, #12)
A.K.A. Barbara Vine

Ruth Barbara Rendell, Baroness Rendell of Babergh, CBE, who also writes under the pseudonym Barbara Vine, is an acclaimed English crime writer, known for her many psychological thrillers and murder mysteries.
More about Ruth Rendell...
From Doon With Death (Inspector Wexford, #1) A Judgement in Stone The Babes in the Wood (Inspector Wexford, #19) A Sight for Sore Eyes Kissing the Gunner's Daughter (Inspector Wexford, #15)