The Red Trailer Mystery

The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden #2)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  2,128 ratings  ·  85 reviews
Trixie and Honey’s friend Jim has run away from Sleepyside—before anyone could tell him that he is the only heir to the huge Frayne fortune. The girls set out across upstate New York in a trailer to track him down . . . and stumble onto another mystery along the way!
Audio, 0 pages
Published July 27th 2004 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published 1950)

Dolly
Apr 26, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
I adored the Nancy Drew series when I was a preteen. I remember seeing the familiar yellow bindings everywhere while I was growing up. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I ever even heard of Trixie Belden until recently. And now I am hearing that this series is way better than my beloved Nancy Drew stories. So now I get to enjoy a second childhood as I share these books with our girls.

This is the second story in the series and I read it to our oldest (and our youngest listened in for the second...more
Bonnie
June 16, 2013: Another re-read. One of the things I love about revisiting books is the chance to get another perspective, depending on my own mood, or my experiences since the last read, or whatever. I think I liked this one a bit more than I usually do. I've never disliked it, per se, but I think #1 and #3 are among the best in the series and Red Trailer kind of sits in their shadow. But for whatever reason, I really enjoyed the re-read this time. Certainly lots of excitement packed into one bo...more
Lorraine
Trixie and Honey and Miss Trask head off in the Wheelers' trailer to find Jim Frayne, who's run away before his mean stepfather finds him. On the first night, they camp next to a red trailer with a sad family inside, and the girls suspect something's wrong. They meet the family again the next day when they stop for lunch at a lake, and the eleven year old daughter walks away from her family. After arriving at the Autocamp where they're staying for the next week, Trixie and Honey ride horses to t...more
Annette
Apr 27, 2012 Annette rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pre-teen girls, nostalgic adults
Shelves: youth, mystery
While I didn't read more than a book or two of this 1950's-era girls' mystery series as a child, I remembered it from a friend's library when I saw a bunch on close-out at Powell's for $1. I picked up a copy of the earliest number on the shelf to see if it might be suitable and enjoyable for my 8 year old niece.
Trixi and her friend Honey (yeah, really. "Buffy" doesn't seem quite so bad in this company...) are 13, and in this book are fresh from solving an important mystery that revealed the tru...more
Denise
The second book of the series picks up right from the end of book one, so I guess these books would be best read in order (but that is the way I like to read a series anyway). Trixie and Honey are trying to find Jim (you'll have to read book one to find out who Honey and Jim are cause I don't want to add spoilers). While searching for Jim they manage to get themselves involved in two other mysteries. There might not be dead bodies but there are definitely adventures. Yes, as an adult I figured o...more
Lisa
Trixie and her best friend Honey set off in an RV (chauffeured by Honey's governess, Miss Trask) in search of their runaway friend, Jim. Along the way, they find even more mysteries to solve: a sad, mysterious family; missing trailers; a runaway child; and a stolen locket. It's interesting how differently one views a book from childhood one re-reads as an adult. Although I do recall this one issue (detailed below) bothering me as a child, it almost enraged me as an adult. I'll be honest, I don't...more
Joy Gerbode
Book 2 of this, my favorite youth detective series. It is somewhat a continuation of book 1, and while a little unbelievable, it's a very fun, quick read. Certainly a light read for enjoyment.

August 2013 ... just re-read, and just as good as ever. One of my favorites, though a bit far-fetched in some ways. Lots of good fun, delightful skills of deduction, and characters that I've come to love over the years.
Miri
The second Trixie Belden book is much better than the first. Trixie's irritating habits are toned down, though she still refers to her mother as moms...eugh. In this story, we pick up right where we left off in book #1 (so read these in order, these aren't like Nancy Drew's that can mostly be read in any order.) Trixie and Honey set off in Honey's trailer to find Jim before he disappears. Along they way they encounter a somber family, mysterious trailer thefts, a happy farm family, and a young r...more
Bobbi Rightmyer
Apr 16, 2010 Bobbi Rightmyer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and Young Adults
Recommended to Bobbi by: My own childhood book
We learned at the end of The Secret of the Mansion that Jim Frayne had ran away. His great uncle's lawyer showed up, revealing that Jim had inherited half-a-million dollars and is going to finally be removed from his abusive stepfather's custody.

The Red Trailer Mystery picks up there. Trixie and Honey - along with Honey's governess, Miss Trask - set off in the Wheeler's trailer to find their missing friend. They make a plan to check several boy's camps upstate, since Jim mentioned getting a job...more
Naomi
For Christmas, my parents grabbed me the entire Trixie Belden set and I couldn't put them down. Even with a learning disability, I devoured the books. I look back now and I find that Trixie Belden was much more age related to young girls, particularly to me, reading the books than Nancy Drew. I found that they weren't so "over the top" either. I will be doing the same thing with my granddaughters if and when I have them, even if I have to stalk every used bookstore.
April Brown
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Ten and up.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Real world - pre internet, computers, air conditioning,, and cell phones.

Written approximately? – 1948.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Yes. A slight mention of the time frame of the sto...more
Mark Baker
Jim's run off, and it's up to Trixie and Honey to find him. But trailer thieves and a family on the run complicate things. A very fun book with great characters. And it includes one of my all time favorite scenes in the series, too.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Penny Johnson
I owned most of the Trixie Belden books that were available when I was a tween. How I wanted to be Honey! So many adventures...
Sharan Thind
Trixie and Honey have great adventures! I wish I could go on this adventure!
Judy Hall
I learned how to save a drowning swimmer from this book. In theory at least.
Dawn Michelle

1st read [approximately] 1977

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Re-read ~August 22, 2013

What a fun way to pass the afternoon!!! A quick and easy read.

In this second adventure featuring Trixie and her best friend Honey, they [along with Miss Trask, Honey's governess] head off to find their friend Jim [who ran away in the first book]. It is one big crazy adventure that just MAY be a little far-fetched in parts, but it really a...more
Erin
I loved this series and devoured the books as quickly as I discovered them. They were on their own shelf in the library, kind of away from the general section I used to look at when I was younger. One day I saw a whole shelf for one series so I thought I would try it. Loved Trixie Belden!!!

Sorry, don't remember much about each book. I think since this was the 2nd one, it was a lot about the new relationship with Trixie and her friend Honey and Jim.

These books are corny, cheesy, full of goody goo...more
Maureen
A direct follow on from the first Belden adventure - this is a fun and quick read which fleshes out Honey and Trixie some more.
Becky
Trixie and her friends are still entertaining, but this story felt much slower-paced to me than its predecessor. That could be because I read it over a much longer period of time than The Secret of the Mansion, but other reviews seem to have similar opinions. The next book in the series is supposed to be better. I'm not sure whether I'll read it. Three stars.
Susann
First read in 1981 and I had to re-read it after enjoying SNAIL AND THE PENNITHORNES (another trailer/caravan saga) so much. Miss Trask is the best governess ever. She just reads her magazine or goes to the Autoville movies, and lets the girls roam through the woods. Favorite character is Mrs. Smith with her chocolate cake and spiced grape juice.
I stopped reading Trixie somewhere around book #6 or #8, but I always appreciated that, unlike Nancy D., Trixie often makes mistakes.
Diane Corradini
This was just as much fun as the first Trixie Belden I re-read - I think I will continue reading them! And this one I realized I bought at the fabulous Powell's Books in Portland when I was there a few years ago! I've picked up a few titles here and there at book stores or sales and am enjoying the "old" feel of those books, more like the ones I read as a kid. I don't know what happened to the ones I had when I was young - probably passed them on to someone else to read!
Stacy
The second book in the Trixie Belden series was another fun, quick read. Definitely dated, but a sweet mystery as Trixie and Honey search for Jim and along the way get entangled in another mystery involving a stolen red trailer. Love the fact that these preteens were quoting "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe.
Sarah O
Like I said before Trixie Belden:the Red Treailer is one in a series of many. This is probrably going to sound rediculous, but I could not put the book down because it was more intense than the beginning.Also Trixie had more interaction with other characters like her best friend Honey. These girls sometimes seem like they never sleep. The author Julie Campbell for sure knows how to keep the reader interested and on the edge of their seats.
Ang
great book series for older elementary age girls!
Anna Mari
Listening to the entire book in one sitting (we were on a road trip) was reminiscent of when I was growing up and would read the entire book in a day during the summer. I am so glad that Samantha likes these books as much as I did. I am truly enjoying reading/listening to them again for the upteenth time and doing ti with her.
Even after all these years, the mysteries are still fun to read!
Scolaro
I love how you have two 13 year old girls riding around on horseback for a week or so to find a certain boy, all by themselves, and no one seems to mind. Yeah, there is a governess to take care of them, but they don't see her too much. Try this in 2012 and people would probably send CPS after you.
An all around nice story, with a few lengths, and some rather unlikely coincidences.
Emi
Melody
I read this book because I belonged to a group a number of years ago that talked about this series and had been wanting give it a try.

Very light reading which should be obvious since it is written to appeal to the 10-teenaged girls. Might be a little to wholesome since most girls that age are into such stories as Twilight.

I myself might read more of the series, though.
Bookworm01
Apr 13, 2011 Bookworm01 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Recommended to Bookworm01 by: My Friend
Shelves: trixie-belden

Trixie Belden and her best friend Honey Wheeler have gone on a caravanning holiday,
across upstate New York to track down the mysterious Jim Frayne.
Along the way they constantly meet up with the mysterious very posh caravan called the ROBIN.
why is the family so unhappy?, where has the little girl gone? , and most importantly where is JIM?

A great book.
  • The Mystery on Cobbett's Island

Julie Campbell was born on the 1st of June 1908 in Flushing, New York and shares the same birthday as her character, Mart Belden. As the daughter of an Army Officer, she travelled widely during her childhood and, at the age of eight, won her first short story contest while living in Hawaii.

Campbell married Char...more
More about Julie Campbell...
The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden #1) Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6) The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5) The Gatehouse Mystery The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)