Start by marking “The Red Trailer Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Red Trailer Mystery

The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden #2)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  3,102 Ratings  ·  116 Reviews
Trixie and Honey’s friend Jim has run away from Sleepyside—before anyone could tell him that he is the only heir to the huge Frayne fortune. The girls set out across upstate New York in a trailer to track him down . . . and stumble onto another mystery along the way!
Audio, 0 pages
Published July 27th 2004 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Trailer Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Trailer Mystery

Dolly
Apr 06, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
I adored the Nancy Drew series when I was a preteen. I remember seeing the familiar yellow bindings everywhere while I was growing up. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I ever even heard of Trixie Belden until recently. And now I am hearing that this series is way better than my beloved Nancy Drew stories. So now I get to enjoy a second childhood as I share these books with our girls.

This is the second story in the series and I read it to our oldest (and our youngest listened in for the second
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
June 16, 2013: Another re-read. One of the things I love about revisiting books is the chance to get another perspective, depending on my own mood, or my experiences since the last read, or whatever. I think I liked this one a bit more than I usually do. I've never disliked it, per se, but I think #1 and #3 are among the best in the series and Red Trailer kind of sits in their shadow. But for whatever reason, I really enjoyed the re-read this time. Certainly lots of excitement packed into one bo ...more
Lorraine
Dec 14, 2011 Lorraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trixie, Honey and Miss Trask head off in the Wheelers' trailer to find Jim Frayne, who's run away before his mean stepfather finds him. On the first night, they camp next to a red trailer with a sad family inside, and the girls suspect something's wrong. They meet the family again the next day when they stop for lunch at a lake, and the eleven year old daughter walks away from her family. After arriving at the Autocamp where they're staying for the next week, Trixie and Honey ride horses to thre ...more
Denise
Jul 11, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trixie-belden
The second book of the series picks up right from the end of book one, so I guess these books would be best read in order (but that is the way I like to read a series anyway). Trixie and Honey are trying to find Jim (you'll have to read book one to find out who Honey and Jim are cause I don't want to add spoilers). While searching for Jim they manage to get themselves involved in two other mysteries. There might not be dead bodies but there are definitely adventures. Yes, as an adult I figured o ...more
Annette
Sep 29, 2009 Annette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pre-teen girls, nostalgic adults
Shelves: youth, mystery
While I didn't read more than a book or two of this 1950's-era girls' mystery series as a child, I remembered it from a friend's library when I saw a bunch on close-out at Powell's for $1. I picked up a copy of the earliest number on the shelf to see if it might be suitable and enjoyable for my 8 year old niece.
Trixi and her friend Honey (yeah, really. "Buffy" doesn't seem quite so bad in this company...) are 13, and in this book are fresh from solving an important mystery that revealed the tru
Joy Gerbode
Once again a fabulous read. Coupled with the first book in the series, The Secret of the Mansion, this is my favorite mystery of all time ... of course it's written for very young teens, but I have loved it since I was that age, and the fascination of this story, even though it is a bit preposterous that two young teens would have such adventures, has never left me. I think it is just the "daydream" of many girls this age, and re-reading it takes me right back to my own childhood.

2017 -- fun aga
Joy Gerbode
Feb 27, 2011 Joy Gerbode rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 2 of this, my favorite youth detective series. It is somewhat a continuation of book 1, and while a little unbelievable, it's a very fun, quick read. Certainly a light read for enjoyment.

August 2013 ... just re-read, and just as good as ever. One of my favorites, though a bit far-fetched in some ways. Lots of good fun, delightful skills of deduction, and characters that I've come to love over the years.
Amy
Mar 06, 2017 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trixie Belden is a gripping book that will grasp your attention. It is about two girls, Trixie and Honey, who follow some shady characters, to crack the code and solve the mystery. in the process they stumble across an interesting boy and long to see him again.

I liked it because it was extremely interesting, plus it was an intense mystery that was drawn out throughout the book so the suspension builds up page after page. I would suggest that you read this book if you like gripping mystery's to r
Xanthi
Jan 04, 2017 Xanthi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A reread of a childhood favourite.
Just like in the first book, there is a lot going on in this story. Lots of action, adventure and intrigue aimed at a younger readership.
Reading this book now as an adult, I've picked up on the dated way the characters speak (this book was published in 1950) but that just added to the charm.
Dottie Burns
Oct 19, 2016 Dottie Burns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very nostalgic read. This is the series that got me interested in mysteries back in the old days. I would save up my allowance and go downtown to Woolworth's and buy a Trixie Belden book for 49 cents. If there were no new Trixie Beldens I would buy paper dolls. I loved cutting out the clothes.
Constance
OK, I've been reading these books from my youth lately, and it's high time I gave 1950s girl-sleuth Trixie Belden her due. The original books in this series were written in the late 1940s / early 1950s, in a time when girls were Betty Crockering-it-up, yet Trixie and gal pal Honey Wheeler are about as feisty, fun, and fierce as any girl besties of recent years - maybe more so.

In the first book in the series, Trixie's knowledge of first aid and cool head in a crisis save her younger brother from
Lisa
Trixie and her best friend Honey set off in an RV (chauffeured by Honey's governess, Miss Trask) in search of their runaway friend, Jim. Along the way, they find even more mysteries to solve: a sad, mysterious family; missing trailers; a runaway child; and a stolen locket. It's interesting how differently one views a book from childhood one re-reads as an adult. Although I do recall this one issue (detailed below) bothering me as a child, it almost enraged me as an adult. I'll be honest, I don't ...more
J.L. Day
May 03, 2015 J.L. Day rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to J.L. by: My Aunt Re
a HUGE and most dedicated fan of Trixie and her crew. This is odd, of course, because they were MEANT for teen and pre-teen girls, but I was a young boy that read everything he could get his hands on and when I first stumbled on my first TRIXIE BELDON book I was instantly hooked!

I immediately sat about reading them all, as quickly as I could get my greedy little paws on them. Trixie is the star, or "lead" character, followed by Jim and Honey (who quickly became the love of my young life, I had
Bobbi Rightmyer
Oct 31, 2008 Bobbi Rightmyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and Young Adults
Recommended to Bobbi by: My own childhood book
We learned at the end of The Secret of the Mansion that Jim Frayne had ran away. His great uncle's lawyer showed up, revealing that Jim had inherited half-a-million dollars and is going to finally be removed from his abusive stepfather's custody.

The Red Trailer Mystery picks up there. Trixie and Honey - along with Honey's governess, Miss Trask - set off in the Wheeler's trailer to find their missing friend. They make a plan to check several boy's camps upstate, since Jim mentioned getting a job
Alex
Nov 18, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The pacing was snappy and the characters got to settle a bit into themselves a bit more since we were no longer being introduced to them for the first time. The confrontation with the desperate criminals was a bit implausible, but I am at peace with that. Finishing this left me with no hesitation about continuing through the box of books unearthed in the garage.

The infodump at the beginning was hilarious. Adult me is aware that this was something that was likely required by the publisher so that
April Brown
Dec 04, 2012 April Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Ten and up.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Real world - pre internet, computers, air conditioning,, and cell phones.

Written approximately? – 1948.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Yes. A slight mention of the time frame of the sto
Miri
Mar 06, 2014 Miri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-read
The second Trixie Belden book is much better than the first. Trixie's irritating habits are toned down, though she still refers to her mother as moms...eugh. In this story, we pick up right where we left off in book #1 (so read these in order, these aren't like Nancy Drew's that can mostly be read in any order.) Trixie and Honey set off in Honey's trailer to find Jim before he disappears. Along they way they encounter a somber family, mysterious trailer thefts, a happy farm family, and a young r ...more
Brona's Books
Mar 09, 2016 Brona's Books rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
The Red Trailer Mystery was basically about Trixie and Honey. There wasn't enough relationship stuff going on for me. This story didn't really advance our understanding of Trixie and Honey. We didn't meet any new characters that would continue on with us, except for a brief mention of Mr Lynch and his family of five children.

It made me realise that I read my Trixie's over and over again not for the mysteries or the crime solving, but for the connections, the friendships and burgeoning romances o
Bethany Zimp
I read a few of these 1950s gems as a child, when I stumbled upon my mother's stash of girlhood books. I'd never read them in order and had missed Book #2 all together. While the overall series is enjoyable, I find the later books better when more of the 'Bobwhite Gang' (how cute!) works together to solve mysteries. Trixie and Honey alone act as flighty as you would expect two unempowered tween girls wearing dungarees (oh my!) to act. This book included bonus treasures from un-PC land including ...more
Dayna
Jan 26, 2015 Dayna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dawn Michelle
Sep 24, 2007 Dawn Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

1st read [approximately] 1977

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Re-read ~August 22, 2013

What a fun way to pass the afternoon!!! A quick and easy read.

In this second adventure featuring Trixie and her best friend Honey, they [along with Miss Trask, Honey's governess] head off to find their friend Jim [who ran away in the first book]. It is one big crazy adventure that just MAY be a little far-fetched in parts, but it really a
Becky
Sep 10, 2011 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-and-ya
Trixie and her friends are still entertaining, but this story felt much slower-paced to me than its predecessor. That could be because I read it over a much longer period of time than The Secret of the Mansion, but other reviews seem to have similar opinions. The next book in the series is supposed to be better. I'm not sure whether I'll read it. Three stars.
Erin
I loved this series and devoured the books as quickly as I discovered them. They were on their own shelf in the library, kind of away from the general section I used to look at when I was younger. One day I saw a whole shelf for one series so I thought I would try it. Loved Trixie Belden!!!

Sorry, don't remember much about each book. I think since this was the 2nd one, it was a lot about the new relationship with Trixie and her friend Honey and Jim.

These books are corny, cheesy, full of goody goo
Diane Corradini
Oct 14, 2013 Diane Corradini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was just as much fun as the first Trixie Belden I re-read - I think I will continue reading them! And this one I realized I bought at the fabulous Powell's Books in Portland when I was there a few years ago! I've picked up a few titles here and there at book stores or sales and am enjoying the "old" feel of those books, more like the ones I read as a kid. I don't know what happened to the ones I had when I was young - probably passed them on to someone else to read!
Shelby Jackson
Feb 15, 2015 Shelby Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was part of my mother's childhood and mine! I think the Trixie Belden series was better than Nancy Drew by far. I loved how Trixie is so far from perfect but still such an amazing character. This book in particular flowed incredibly well for me. It also brings back memories of being a young girl who got into scrapes much like Trixie. I will be reading this book and the rest of the Trixie Belden books to my future children.
Nicole Luiken
Rereading this series to my daughter. Wow, I think I only remembered one thing from reading this as a kid: Trixie noticing the imprint in the dust of Jim's christening cup. Why only that is a puzzle: it happens during a very tense scene with the trailer thieves. The pacing is a little slow for my adult tastes, but my daughter quite enjoyed it and has asked for more. I'm also shaking my head over the way Miss Trask lets them roam all over the countryside alone...
Y
Sarah O
Nov 12, 2013 Sarah O rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like I said before Trixie Belden:the Red Treailer is one in a series of many. This is probrably going to sound rediculous, but I could not put the book down because it was more intense than the beginning.Also Trixie had more interaction with other characters like her best friend Honey. These girls sometimes seem like they never sleep. The author Julie Campbell for sure knows how to keep the reader interested and on the edge of their seats.
Naomi
May 11, 2014 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For Christmas, my parents grabbed me the entire Trixie Belden set and I couldn't put them down. Even with a learning disability, I devoured the books. I look back now and I find that Trixie Belden was much more age related to young girls, particularly to me, reading the books than Nancy Drew. I found that they weren't so "over the top" either. I will be doing the same thing with my granddaughters if and when I have them, even if I have to stalk every used bookstore.
Susann
Sep 21, 2008 Susann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
First read in 1981 and I had to re-read it after enjoying SNAIL AND THE PENNITHORNES (another trailer/caravan saga) so much. Miss Trask is the best governess ever. She just reads her magazine or goes to the Autoville movies, and lets the girls roam through the woods. Favorite character is Mrs. Smith with her chocolate cake and spiced grape juice.
I stopped reading Trixie somewhere around book #6 or #8, but I always appreciated that, unlike Nancy D., Trixie often makes mistakes.
  • The Mystery of the Blinking Eye

Julie Campbell was born on the 1st of June 1908 in Flushing, New York and shares the same birthday as her character, Mart Belden. As the daughter of an Army Officer, she travelled widely during her childhood and, at the age of eight, won her first short story contest while living in Hawaii.

Campbell married Char
More about Julie Campbell...

Trixie Belden (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden #1)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)
  • The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7)
  • The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8)
  • The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)
  • The Marshland Mystery (Trixie Belden, #10)
  • The Mystery at Bob-White Cave (Trixie Belden #11)

“She turned as a husky voice behind her said, “They’re waiting for you at a table inside.” Jim gave her a little push. “In you go, kid; I’m top man around here now.” 1 likes
“And then,” she finished, “there was the awful sound of a man crying, Honey.” 0 likes