Start by marking “The Red Trailer Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Red Trailer Mystery

The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden #2)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  2,317 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Trixie and Honey’s friend Jim has run away from Sleepyside—before anyone could tell him that he is the only heir to the huge Frayne fortune. The girls set out across upstate New York in a trailer to track him down . . . and stumble onto another mystery along the way!
Audio, 0 pages
Published July 27th 2004 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Trailer Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Trailer Mystery

Dolly
Apr 26, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
I adored the Nancy Drew series when I was a preteen. I remember seeing the familiar yellow bindings everywhere while I was growing up. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I ever even heard of Trixie Belden until recently. And now I am hearing that this series is way better than my beloved Nancy Drew stories. So now I get to enjoy a second childhood as I share these books with our girls.

This is the second story in the series and I read it to our oldest (and our youngest listened in for the second
Bonnie
June 16, 2013: Another re-read. One of the things I love about revisiting books is the chance to get another perspective, depending on my own mood, or my experiences since the last read, or whatever. I think I liked this one a bit more than I usually do. I've never disliked it, per se, but I think #1 and #3 are among the best in the series and Red Trailer kind of sits in their shadow. But for whatever reason, I really enjoyed the re-read this time. Certainly lots of excitement packed into one bo ...more
Lorraine
Trixie, Honey and Miss Trask head off in the Wheelers' trailer to find Jim Frayne, who's run away before his mean stepfather finds him. On the first night, they camp next to a red trailer with a sad family inside, and the girls suspect something's wrong. They meet the family again the next day when they stop for lunch at a lake, and the eleven year old daughter walks away from her family. After arriving at the Autocamp where they're staying for the next week, Trixie and Honey ride horses to thre ...more
Denise
The second book of the series picks up right from the end of book one, so I guess these books would be best read in order (but that is the way I like to read a series anyway). Trixie and Honey are trying to find Jim (you'll have to read book one to find out who Honey and Jim are cause I don't want to add spoilers). While searching for Jim they manage to get themselves involved in two other mysteries. There might not be dead bodies but there are definitely adventures. Yes, as an adult I figured o ...more
Annette
Apr 27, 2012 Annette rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pre-teen girls, nostalgic adults
Shelves: youth, mystery
While I didn't read more than a book or two of this 1950's-era girls' mystery series as a child, I remembered it from a friend's library when I saw a bunch on close-out at Powell's for $1. I picked up a copy of the earliest number on the shelf to see if it might be suitable and enjoyable for my 8 year old niece.
Trixi and her friend Honey (yeah, really. "Buffy" doesn't seem quite so bad in this company...) are 13, and in this book are fresh from solving an important mystery that revealed the tru
Lisa
Trixie and her best friend Honey set off in an RV (chauffeured by Honey's governess, Miss Trask) in search of their runaway friend, Jim. Along the way, they find even more mysteries to solve: a sad, mysterious family; missing trailers; a runaway child; and a stolen locket. It's interesting how differently one views a book from childhood one re-reads as an adult. Although I do recall this one issue (detailed below) bothering me as a child, it almost enraged me as an adult. I'll be honest, I don't ...more
Joy Gerbode
Book 2 of this, my favorite youth detective series. It is somewhat a continuation of book 1, and while a little unbelievable, it's a very fun, quick read. Certainly a light read for enjoyment.

August 2013 ... just re-read, and just as good as ever. One of my favorites, though a bit far-fetched in some ways. Lots of good fun, delightful skills of deduction, and characters that I've come to love over the years.
Bethany Zimp
I read a few of these 1950s gems as a child, when I stumbled upon my mother's stash of girlhood books. I'd never read them in order and had missed Book #2 all together. While the overall series is enjoyable, I find the later books better when more of the 'Bobwhite Gang' (how cute!) works together to solve mysteries. Trixie and Honey alone act as flighty as you would expect two unempowered tween girls wearing dungarees (oh my!) to act. This book included bonus treasures from un-PC land including ...more
Miri
The second Trixie Belden book is much better than the first. Trixie's irritating habits are toned down, though she still refers to her mother as moms...eugh. In this story, we pick up right where we left off in book #1 (so read these in order, these aren't like Nancy Drew's that can mostly be read in any order.) Trixie and Honey set off in Honey's trailer to find Jim before he disappears. Along they way they encounter a somber family, mysterious trailer thefts, a happy farm family, and a young r ...more
Bobbi Rightmyer
Apr 16, 2010 Bobbi Rightmyer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and Young Adults
Recommended to Bobbi by: My own childhood book
We learned at the end of The Secret of the Mansion that Jim Frayne had ran away. His great uncle's lawyer showed up, revealing that Jim had inherited half-a-million dollars and is going to finally be removed from his abusive stepfather's custody.

The Red Trailer Mystery picks up there. Trixie and Honey - along with Honey's governess, Miss Trask - set off in the Wheeler's trailer to find their missing friend. They make a plan to check several boy's camps upstate, since Jim mentioned getting a job
Naomi
For Christmas, my parents grabbed me the entire Trixie Belden set and I couldn't put them down. Even with a learning disability, I devoured the books. I look back now and I find that Trixie Belden was much more age related to young girls, particularly to me, reading the books than Nancy Drew. I found that they weren't so "over the top" either. I will be doing the same thing with my granddaughters if and when I have them, even if I have to stalk every used bookstore.
April Brown
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Ten and up.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Real world - pre internet, computers, air conditioning,, and cell phones.

Written approximately? – 1948.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Yes. A slight mention of the time frame of the sto
G B'man
I really like these books (of the Nancy Drew genre) I read when I was a girl. This one involves Trixie and her pal stumbling upon what they are sure is suspicious and making it their personal mystery to be solved. These are perfect summer vacation books that bespeak the nostalgic innocence of the '50s. Someday when I have a granddaughter I will read them to her on a lazy summer evening.
Mark Baker
Jim's run off, and it's up to Trixie and Honey to find him. But trailer thieves and a family on the run complicate things. A very fun book with great characters. And it includes one of my all time favorite scenes in the series, too.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Penny Johnson
I owned most of the Trixie Belden books that were available when I was a tween. How I wanted to be Honey! So many adventures...
Govhini Sumathi
The same as Hardy Boys but only this time... Flower Power has arrived.
Sharan Thind
Trixie and Honey have great adventures! I wish I could go on this adventure!
Judy Hall
I learned how to save a drowning swimmer from this book. In theory at least.
Dawn Michelle

1st read [approximately] 1977

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Re-read ~August 22, 2013

What a fun way to pass the afternoon!!! A quick and easy read.

In this second adventure featuring Trixie and her best friend Honey, they [along with Miss Trask, Honey's governess] head off to find their friend Jim [who ran away in the first book]. It is one big crazy adventure that just MAY be a little far-fetched in parts, but it really a
Erin
I loved this series and devoured the books as quickly as I discovered them. They were on their own shelf in the library, kind of away from the general section I used to look at when I was younger. One day I saw a whole shelf for one series so I thought I would try it. Loved Trixie Belden!!!

Sorry, don't remember much about each book. I think since this was the 2nd one, it was a lot about the new relationship with Trixie and her friend Honey and Jim.

These books are corny, cheesy, full of goody goo
Victoria Griffith
These books are dated, but can still be fun to read.
Mariana
As a child I really love this series.
Maureen
A direct follow on from the first Belden adventure - this is a fun and quick read which fleshes out Honey and Trixie some more.
Becky
Trixie and her friends are still entertaining, but this story felt much slower-paced to me than its predecessor. That could be because I read it over a much longer period of time than The Secret of the Mansion, but other reviews seem to have similar opinions. The next book in the series is supposed to be better. I'm not sure whether I'll read it. Three stars.
Susann
First read in 1981 and I had to re-read it after enjoying SNAIL AND THE PENNITHORNES (another trailer/caravan saga) so much. Miss Trask is the best governess ever. She just reads her magazine or goes to the Autoville movies, and lets the girls roam through the woods. Favorite character is Mrs. Smith with her chocolate cake and spiced grape juice.
I stopped reading Trixie somewhere around book #6 or #8, but I always appreciated that, unlike Nancy D., Trixie often makes mistakes.
Diane Corradini
This was just as much fun as the first Trixie Belden I re-read - I think I will continue reading them! And this one I realized I bought at the fabulous Powell's Books in Portland when I was there a few years ago! I've picked up a few titles here and there at book stores or sales and am enjoying the "old" feel of those books, more like the ones I read as a kid. I don't know what happened to the ones I had when I was young - probably passed them on to someone else to read!
Stacy
The second book in the Trixie Belden series was another fun, quick read. Definitely dated, but a sweet mystery as Trixie and Honey search for Jim and along the way get entangled in another mystery involving a stolen red trailer. Love the fact that these preteens were quoting "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe.
Sarah O
Like I said before Trixie Belden:the Red Treailer is one in a series of many. This is probrably going to sound rediculous, but I could not put the book down because it was more intense than the beginning.Also Trixie had more interaction with other characters like her best friend Honey. These girls sometimes seem like they never sleep. The author Julie Campbell for sure knows how to keep the reader interested and on the edge of their seats.
Ang
great book series for older elementary age girls!
  • The Mystery of the Blinking Eye

Julie Campbell was born on the 1st of June 1908 in Flushing, New York and shares the same birthday as her character, Mart Belden. As the daughter of an Army Officer, she travelled widely during her childhood and, at the age of eight, won her first short story contest while living in Hawaii.

Campbell married Char
More about Julie Campbell...
The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden #1) Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6) The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5) The Gatehouse Mystery The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)

“And then,” she finished, “there was the awful sound of a man crying, Honey.” 0 likes
“She turned as a husky voice behind her said, “They’re waiting for you at a table inside.” Jim gave her a little push. “In you go, kid; I’m top man around here now.” 0 likes