Start by marking “Ivy and Bean Take Care of the Babysitter (Ivy and Bean, #4)” as Want to Read:
Ivy and Bean Take Care of the Babysitter (Ivy and Bean, #4)

Ivy and Bean Take Care of the Babysitter (Ivy & Bean #4)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  3,294 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
The adventures of Ivy and Bean continue in the latest installment from series creators Annie Barrows and Sophie Blackall. In Ivy and Bean Take Care of the Babysitter, the two girls hatch a plan to prove that Bean's big sister is the world's worst babysitter. Of course plans go awry, but fun ensues!
Published April 17th 2008 by Chronicle Books (first published January 1st 2008)

babyhippoface
Jun 24, 2008 babyhippoface rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-fiction
This title lacked the charm of the others in the series as Ivy and Bean crossed a line. They moved from inquisitive and spirited to disobedient and manipulative and almost made their way to snot-nosed brats.

What am I never supposed to do? Let's do it!
Where am I never supposed to go? Let's go there!

I don't know... it just didn't work for me this time.
Irene
Feb 05, 2013 Irene rated it liked it
Recommends it for: First graders okay, with a follow-up discussion on safety
Shelves: children
*** Warning: This review contains spoilers! ***

In this installment, the girls do not engage in any mean or disrespectful behavior (as they do in Books 1 and 2), but they do ignore safety, which is troubling.

I was pleased to see that in this book, Bean's behavior is more measured, and sometimes is even chastised. Bean decides not to throw a rock at her sister because "she knew better than that." Before playing with the mound of dirt in her friend's yard, she first seeks permission from the babysi
Annie Risher
Sep 16, 2016 Annie Risher rated it it was amazing
This book is another really good one. Bean is sneaky. Her sister Nancy was a babysitter for her. Bean snuck Ivy into the house, and they hid in the attic even though they weren't supposed to because it was dangerous. Bean's mom came home eventually and gave them dessert and paid Nancy for keeping the kids. I liked it because the girls were sneaky, and I didn't know what would happen. It was good.
Lisa
Sep 04, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: 5th, 4th, 3rd, series
The characters were wonderfully creative, but their behavior was intolerable. I really found myself appalled by the way the girls (and the big sister) were acting. Maybe I should read a different one in this series, because based only on this one, I won't be recommending.
Tiffany
May 01, 2014 Tiffany rated it really liked it
The story by Annie Barrows is mischievous and witty. Sophie Blackall's illustrations are the perfect companion to the story. The drawings of Ivy + Bean are so much fun with Bean's hilarious expressions. The story made me feel naughty yet excited at the same time. How being young is so fun! Although, my, when you put Ivy and Bean together, you don't stand a chance against them as they are thick as thieves. The plot is on how Bean and Nancy's parents go out and let Nancy, Bean's older sister, baby ...more
Amber Flynt
Jul 30, 2016 Amber Flynt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
HILARIOUS! Getting stuck in the attic is something i would totally do.
Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents; kids
The title is a pun: not only will Ivy and Bean "take care" of the babysitter in the mafia sense, but also care for her as if they were the babysitters, and she was the child. :)

Ivy and Bean are best friends. At first glance they seem like opposites: Bean is wild, foul-mouthed (in a 7-year-old way), plays practical jokes on people, loves the outdoors, and disobeys authority figures. Ivy is soft-spoken, reads a lot, and wears dresses. However, they soon find out they have a lot in common and their
Dolly
May 03, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2013
We've never read any of the Ivy & Bean stories before, but I'd always wanted to. I discovered this audio CD at our local library and decided to borrow it so we could listen to the story in the car during a family road trip.

The narrative is entertaining, but I was very alarmed at the hijinx that Ivy and Bean get themselves into. I am not at all familiar with these characters, so I think if we read any more of the stories in this series, we should start at the beginning.

I did caution our gir
Sassy
Ivy and Bean are a classic pair of opposites who work oh-so-well together. Their sister-friendship is a perfect example of why it is a blessing to be able to choose your own friends.

Ivy and Bean play in a neighbor's front yard, (She's got a huge pile of dirt that is probably for yard work. The children are never reprimanded for this action, like they would have been in real life.)when Bean is forced to go home. Her parents drop a bomb on her: they are going out and Bean's older sister Nancy get
Feb 18, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it

Bean's sister Nancy is her babysitter for the afternoon. Bean is not happy. She invites Ivy over so they can plan an escape (Bean is not allowed to leave the house).

I think this was my favorite of the first four books. I love Bean and her sister Nancy. Yes they are mean to each other. But I think it's funny. And even though I found Bean's actions predictable. I really thought they were funny. And my 6 year old niece did too.

My only complaint is that there was a big fiasco at the beginning of the
Jan 15, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The punny title and cute cover of this little treasure are just the beginning. Inside the reader finds an amusing, rambling tale that comes together beautifully in the end, witty chapter titles, and the usual array of charming and/or humorous illustrations found in Ivy + Bean books. Our heroines shine, of course, their mischievous personalities continually getting them into and out of trouble. Barrows’ writing is flawless: nothing is wasted in the telling of the story, nothing is overdone or mis ...more
Stella
Apr 24, 2015 Stella rated it it was amazing
Brittany Watts
Apr 29, 2014 Brittany Watts rated it it was amazing
This book was a realistic fiction book. The intended audience for this book would be young girls between the ages of 7-11. This book is about a girl named Bean who's sister has to babysit her while her parents go to a play. She soon than thinks of every possible way to get away and sneak her best friend Ivy into the house at the same time. But getting away turns into more trouble than they planned. I rated this book with 5 stars. I rated this book so highly because it was such a fun book to read ...more
nicole
Jan 07, 2011 nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter_books, 2011
...I kinda felt bad for Nancy in this one.

Loved the (especially Bean's) crazed expressions throughout. You know a book's gonna be good when you open it to page one and find an illustration of a mad (as in hatter) little girl holding a rock high over her head, preparing to smash down on something you can't quite identify. And then you read that it's corn. And that's even weirder.
Alfreda Morrissey
It was a cute little book. My 5 year old liked it. I found the first one much better. My 7 year old finds them boring.
Jean Marie
Aug 07, 2015 Jean Marie rated it really liked it
Recently read aloud for a young friend. Bean helps the neighbors create a volcano in a huge pile of dirt, when she's called back home and discovers that her sister Nancy is to babysit her. Further, she can't return to play with the volcano. Ivy comes over, they sneak into the attic. As they are enjoying their fantasies of what they might do in the space, they realize that by returning the board to the opening, they have inadvertently locked themselves in. Now Ivy and Bean have to call Nancy for ...more
Alice
Oct 26, 2013 Alice rated it it was amazing
I think this is my Fav so far. Bean thinking about eating bugs is funny, but gross! But, she did mention she could do it for survivel. At first I thought Ivy and Bean were going to break apart!
♦Sapphire Jewels♦
**spoiler alert**
Dramatically fictional, describing the yearn to escape the hands of her elder sister, Nancy. Bean loved her babysitter, Leona, who she described as a talented drawer of horses.
Ivy, on the other hand, was called over by Bean, and secretly trying to help her escape and come over to the dirt mound at Sophie's.
But, all she came back with was a piece of yarn.
They overcome their "trying to escape" thing by letting Ivy secretly into the house while they discovered that Nancy was trying
Jenn M
Jan 02, 2015 Jenn M rated it it was ok
Ivy and Bean are up for wild adventures again in this book 4 of the series. I enjoyed this book less than previous items, however, primarily because I felt like Ivy and (particularly) Bean's behavior crossed the line of safety. The basic plot is that Bean's older sister Nancy has been asked to babysit the dynamic duo, but as expected, Ivy and Bean don't make it easy for Nancy to be successful at her first babysitting attempt.

While I certainly cannot condone (nor recommend) behavior that could b
Huangduome.com
Jul 28, 2014 Huangduome.com rated it liked it
Bean goes to Ivy's house and play with the dirt and Beans mom tells her to come home for a "special experiment" and it was that her sister Nancy was going to babysit her and Bean thought it was jail. Bean got Ivy's attention and she helped her break out. they hid in the attic until it got dark but there was no handle on the door and they were stuck. they yelled "NANCY" and Nancy was busy putting on mom's make up and she wasn't supposed to and Nancy heard them and she let them out.
Michelle
Ivy and Bean get into mischief when Bean is left in the care of her older sister Nancy for the afternoon. Nancy has never babysat before so Bean takes full advantage of the situation. By the time mom and dad get home, Nancy has decided that she is still too young to baby sit.

I enjoyed the story and I can see why the series would be especially popular with second and third graders. The girls are feisty and adventurous. Their antics remind me of my three sisters and I when we were younger! We were
Melissa Namba
Jan 02, 2016 Melissa Namba rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-lucy
I like ivy and bean even when they are naughty. I love that the reader can follows all of beans jumping trains of thoughts. It's very natural. Going from the volcano to making a cool playhouse in the attic is very normal! I remember being very curious about the attic as a kid. When I opened it up, a bat flew out! Also, I can relate to Nancy and being made to babysit even though a little young.
Books Kids Like
Sep 17, 2013 Books Kids Like rated it really liked it
Bean's parents are going to a play and leaving Nancy to babysit! And she can't go back outside and play earthquake/volcano with her friends! And Nancy is behaving like "Miss Peppy-Pants"...all nice and cheerful! Very disturbing! What is a girl like Bean to do? Throw a dramatic tantrum! Doesn't work. Storm up to her room and slam her door! Doesn't help. Then, Bean's brain juices begin to flow, and she devises a wonderful plan to keep boredom away. In the process of sneaking Ivy into the house, Be ...more
Madison
Sep 03, 2016 Madison rated it really liked it
This book is a cute book! I loved how it described the friendship between two little girls. This book brought back memories from when I was a child and felt like I was going to die from not being allowed to go outside. I believe children in the 3-5 grade would enjoy this book the most for it fits their fluency levels.
Kara
Apr 08, 2014 Kara rated it it was amazing
Oh No! Bean's older sister Nancy who's a pain in the neck is babysitting Bean while her parents go to a play.Bean's mom said that Ivy could come over but she's playing ''volcano'' at Sophie's house where Bean thinks she should be.Bean creates an SOS flag to drive Ivy's attention to her and when Ivy's see's it she gets to come play with Bean.Together the girls explore the ''crawl space'' in the attic but they get locked inside while making plans for a secret clubhouse.There's only one thing they ...more
Mellodi Parks
Jun 02, 2014 Mellodi Parks rated it it was amazing
I cannot believe I am halfway done with these. I can see why the younger kids love this series. I am loving them as an adult reader and cannot wait to read the rest. Give these a read, won't you?
Tara
Oct 12, 2014 Tara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: katelyn
I like Ivy and Bean because they are active and they really like to read like I do. And when they went to their friend, Sophie S.'s house, they made a volcano and I think that's cool.
Lisa
Sep 16, 2015 Lisa rated it it was ok
Read to my girls. They thought it was hilarious. I enjoyed the vivid imaginations of Ivy and Bean, but the ending of the story wasn't as satisfying as the beginning.
Parkslea0
Nov 21, 2011 Parkslea0 rated it it was amazing
i think it is a good book because ivy is at beans house and they have a baby sitter nancy nancy is putting on makeup but she is not supposed to so ivy and bean saw her puting on makeup so nancy said i will make a deal with you the deal was you dont tell mom and you can do something that she does'ent let you do so ivy and bean go to the attic and they get locked up there so they call nancy alot of times and finily she hears them so nancy was trying to find them and help them.right when they got o ...more
Deslyn
Sep 20, 2015 Deslyn rated it really liked it
This book was really good because it had a lot of details. Also because it was really funny and sneaky.
  • Clementine, Friend of the Week (Clementine, #4)
  • Judy Moody Goes to College (Judy Moody, #8)
  • Still Just Grace (Just Grace, #2)
  • Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth
  • Oh, Baby! (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #3)
  • Marty McGuire
  • Good Job, Kanani
  • Piper Reed: Navy Brat (Piper Reed #1)
Annie grew up in Northern California, and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley, with a degree in Medieval History. Unable to find a job in the middle ages, she decided upon a career as an editor, eventually landing at Chronicle Books in San Francisco, where she was in charge of "all the books that nobody in their right mind would publish." After earning an M.F.A. in Creative Wri ...more
More about Annie Barrows...

Ivy & Bean (10 books)
  • Ivy and Bean (Ivy and Bean, #1)
  • Ivy and Bean and the Ghost That Had to Go (Ivy and Bean, #2)
  • Ivy and Bean Break the Fossil Record (Ivy and Bean, #3)
  • Ivy and Bean: Bound to be Bad (Ivy and Bean, #5)
  • Ivy and Bean: Doomed to Dance (Ivy and Bean, #6)
  • Ivy and Bean: What's the Big Idea? (Ivy and Bean, #7)
  • Ivy and Bean: No News Is Good News (Ivy and Bean, #8)
  • Ivy and Bean Make the Rules (Ivy and Bean, #9)
  • Ivy and Bean Take the Case (Ivy and Bean, #10)

“Ivy! It's a natural disaster! You have to be there!” 4 likes