Start by marking “The Soulkeepers (The Soulkeepers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Soulkeepers (The Soulkeepers, #1)

The Soulkeepers (The Soulkeepers #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  9,791 ratings  ·  849 reviews
When fifteen-year-old Jacob Lau is pulled from the crumpled remains of his mother's car, no one can explain why he was driving or why the police can't find his mother's body. A beautiful and mysterious neighbor offers to use her unique abilities to help him find his mom.

But in exchange she requires Jacob to train as a Soulkeeper, a protector of human souls. He agrees to h
Paperback, 1st Edition, 308 pages
Published June 24th 2011 by Createspace (first published March 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Soulkeepers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soulkeepers

Prince of Wolves by Quinn LoftisUnEnchanted by Chanda HahnThe Fallen Star by Jessica SorensenThe Mind Readers by Lori BrightonHollowland by Amanda Hocking
FREE Ebooks For Teens
20th out of 480 books — 930 voters
Wither by Lauren DeStefanoEntwined by Heather DixonSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDie for Me by Amy PlumAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Best Book Covers 2011
102nd out of 721 books — 3,115 voters

More lists with this book...

Jane
Ack, read another free book that ended up having way too strong religious overtones for my taste. I really don't know why booksellers can't make it more obvious, and I'm surprised this one slipped past me with all the checking I did about the genres and such but by the time I realized, it was kind of a trainwreck in progress and I couldn't stop. I think I'm going to stop reading free books, most of them are terrible at best.

Anyway. Book about a teenage boy trying to deal with the possible death
Megg Jensen
While The Soulkeepers is GP Ching's debut novel, it reads like a seasoned author's current bestseller. Ching's lyrical style and masterful plotting will hold readers captive until they've read the final word.
Sarah Snyder
The Soulkeepers by G.P. Ching is one of those rare stories that seizes your attention from the start and never lets it go. You quickly become wrapped up in this imaginative story and are transported into Jacob's world. You experience all of his confusion and frustration first hand and you simply must know what happens next.

There is so much packed into this story; it is incredibly easy to get swept up into it. I found myself gobbling up pages, desperate to know more about this new, exciting and t
Chris
I got this as a free download ebook. From the little synopsis that was presented it sounded like a decent book. Nothing special but something to read while on the go and not have to worry about stopping and picking back up later. Ok well maybe it is just me but the synopsis/description of the book and the actual book were totally different. Maybe its all the religion thrown in and seemingly forced down my throat each chapter. I don't mind a book that touches on religion or has it as a key compon ...more
Kia
First, let me point out that I am NOT the target audience. This is a YA title and for the record, my 13-year-old daughter read the entire book and pronounced it excellent. I am a member of the secondary audience that YA books seem to draw, that is, moms of tweens and teens.

This book has many plusses. Well-written, descriptive, imaginative, vast, ambitious. There are occasional typos but as I can attest personally, self-published authors don't always have the benefit of editors and proofreaders.
Angela Carlie
"The Soulkeepers" is guilty of stealing precious hours of sleep, but it is so worth every minute spent and more. This story has an original premise, beautiful scenery, lovable characters, jaw clenching action, and a book load of mystery to keep the pages turning until the very end. G.P. Ching’s writing is brilliant and some aspects of the "The Soulkeepers" are reminiscent of one of my favorite author’s work, Anne Rice.

I enjoyed reading this book and recommend it to everyone.
Tamara Rose Blodgett
This is a Must Read YA book!!!

Truly well-crafted. It's perfect for the Christian reader OR the non-Christian. It is rare in literature to finish a "Christian" book and not feel preached at. This novel does that. I still cannot determine if this IS a Christian book, per se...but it was fascinating. There's just enough truth in all the elements that were used [in the book] that it smacks of plausibility...

The gist of the story is (male POV; gotta love that!) Jacob is propelled on a journey (not of
JenniferJ
Sadly I had a hard time with The Soulkeepers. I really don't know if it was the religious parts or what but I can say I would have found it a bit more enjoyable if they had not been thrown in. I just don't think I needed to know every few chapters who believed what and who didn't. I just felt like it should have been mentioned in the synopsis somehow but instead when I read the above synopsis I had no clue about all the religious parts inside.

There were some other parts in the story that I reall
E.L.
This is, I believe, Ching's first novel, and it shows. The concept isn't bad, and the writing isn't dreadful, but overall it just clunked. The biblical scholar in me winced at the sloppy interpretations of certain texts; the small-town girl rolled her eyes at the stereotyped version of the bigoted, narrow-minded townspeople; the writer tried to overlook the cliched plot development; the reader completely lost patience at the (literal) deus ex machina at the end.

It's not a dreadful book. I'm prob
Rachel
Apr 20, 2011 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc
Ever since he recovered from the car accident in which his mother went missing, Jacob has been suffering from disturbing nightmares. The doctors say it’s just his brain trying to recover from the trauma, but something about them feels too real.

Miles from his home in Hawaii, living with relatives that he never even knew existed, the dreams still come to him night after night. And now he’s having them about his neighbor across the street. A woman who appears to float more than walk and who doesn’t
Valerie
Jan 14, 2012 Valerie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Valerie by: My Kindle Fire
I downloaded this because I happened to see it as a free Kindle book and, at that time, I had only out of copyright books, so once I finished my one purchase, I moved on to this.

It was ok. It really took a different direction than what the teaser would have you think it would. For those complaining about it being too religious, I just have to say it's more fantasy than religion. This is not a Christian fiction book. The author chose to take a few items that do match up with what Christianity tea
Sara
3.5 stars.

I usually try to stay away from books about fallen angles and religion. Not because I'm not religious myself, but because too many books seem to mock or contradict one religion or another in the process. I don't know if I would've read Soulkeepers had I known it was this kind of book but I ended up enjoying it. I think for me, it's best to ignore all the religious innuendos and just read it as a story. I can't do this with every book, but with Soulkeepers it was fairly easy to do.

The
SubterraneanCatalyst
This was an interesting read and definitely out of my normal genre zone (as in, I usually don't dive into a pile of YA).

Jacob Lau is an intelligent teenage boy from Hawaii with a chip on his shoulder for understandable reasons. His father died in the war and his mother has gone missing with few real answers or leads from the police. He was present at his mother's disappearance but can only remember fantastic details that the doctors dismiss as faulty traumatized memory and his estranged and unk
Erin Danzer
** SOME SPOILERS MAY ENSUE! **

By the time I picked up The Soulkeepers, I had read a lot about it and couldn't wait to dive in. I wasn't disappointed!

From the moment Jacob wakes up in a hospital bed with a "damaged brain", he is a very relatable character, especially for me personally. My heart went out to him as he journeyed from not caring about anyone or anything to opening his heart and having faith. You can't help but root for Jacob to come around. A fantastic good vs. evil plot that will co
Maggie Lynch
I picked this book because it was on so many YA reading lists as a great book and it was a good price. I like the idea of good and evil, or light and dark, in juxtaposition. I’m okay with fallen angels and some religious conceptual framework. So, dove in.

I really enjoyed the book until about Chapter 15-19. From then on the primary problem was that there was more telling (through dialog—Malini telling Jacob, Dr. Silva telling Jacob, etc.) about the world, the magic, relating it to the Bible’s des
06Danielle L.
ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I am here to say that the book the soul keepers is very good and keeping you interested in what will come next and just being an all around good book, however this book is not so great at showing true pain and sorrow.

Jacob is the main person in this story and all he wants is to find his mom, but she is somewhere that is nowhere. some of the things that keep you interested in the book are, "she is nowhere, you wont find her. she is no longer of this earth"-Dr. Si
Tahlia Newland
I really enjoyed this novel, it's a real gem for the price. Although we once again had a teen with a previously unknown special talent and angels, both of which I'm a little sick of, the author managed to bring a different slant to the formula. Not only is it well written with great characters and a flawless plot, it has a bit more depth than a lot of popular fiction.

I'm the first one to run screaming at any hint of dogma, so I was a bit worried when I hit the quote from the bible and the result
Deeds
Dec 28, 2012 Deeds added it
I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I first picked up the book. I had figured some supernatural or fantasy story judging solely on the cover and title - what I was *not* expecting were Christian elements to be woven into the story. On principle, I avoid books with real-world-religious-themes because it just feels uncomfortable but this one held some promise so I stuck to it.

The main protagonist, 15-year-old Jacob Lau, is a rather believable obnoxious, self-centered, attitude-ridden teenager.
Morgan Renae
This book was amazing! Probably one of the most addicting books I've ever read. Right from the beginning I was hooked. This is the first book I've read on my Kindle (yay!!), and it didn't disappoint! The characters were really well written, the plot was fast-paced, and the dialogue was believable, even though the things Jacob was going through were far from believable. When Jacob first finds out he's a Soulkeeper, and that he can control water, he was in denial. I mean, who wouldn't be? But he q ...more
Nicole Hewitt
This book was a good self-published effort - MUCH better than many of the other self-published ebooks I've read. It still had some issues that needed to be worked out - For instance, I felt like the first half of the book lacked real character development. I didn't find myself invested in the main character's relationships at first because I felt like they were rushed and/or explained (the old "show me vs. tell me" issue). I just didn't connect with the characters until the second half of the bo ...more
Stephanie
I honestly wasn't sure if I'd like this book when I started it. It all sounded a bit far fetched, bit that's never stopped me before..
This book is about a boy who wakes up after a terrible accident, his mom is missing and the only memories he had of the accident are so crazy that doctors dismiss it as hallucinations, images his damaged brain made up for what really happened. He then moved in with the only family he had left. yet he didn't even know they existed. Over the next year, his life is c
Hope Swearingen
May 07, 2014 Hope Swearingen is currently reading it
The reason why I wanted to read this book is because I like scary and mysterious books. I also read this boom because I know someone who was in the same situation as the boy in the book.
This book is about a boy named Jacob Lau- a teenager who looses his mom no one know were she went but when they found Jacob in her car in the driver seat with no drivers license and his mom no were to be seen and all Jacob could remember was that he and his mom got in a fight his mom walked off and and he went a
Miramira Endevall
4.5 stars.

Warning, slight spoilers ahead. I recommend this book for JFi (and possibly Morgan), and this review will not ruin it for her. :-)

So, this is the only Christian author who's work I've been able to approach without scorn in the past 10 years. I did not know it was a Christian book when I started reading it - it's published as mainstream YA fantasy, and I picked it up on BookBub for cheap.

I admit that at one point I started being scornful (and there does remain one point on which I will
Anna Forsyth
This book was very interesting and exciting. It takes plas in a small town called Paris in the United States. Jacob Lau who is the main character is sent to Paris after his mom goes missing in a mysterious car crash. Throught the book Jacob seeks help from his new neighbor to try to find where his mom is and along the way he discovers that he has special abilities. He also falls in love with a girl from school who in the end plays a factor in saivng Jacobs life.

I really enjoyed this book becaus
Karly Kirkpatrick
G.P. Ching is a fantastic writer, her imagery is so rich I can still picture the settings in my head. I really enjoyed the character relationships and felt that Jacob was someone I could really identify with. I loved the story and can't wait to see what comes next.
Kirsten
Meh. It was a pretty good read. It kept me interested the whole time, but the characters weren't particularly exciting. It also got a little preachy and weird in there. I felt like it was trying to be deep, but not really succeeding. It was definitely an entertaining read, but I'm not really finding myself interested in purchasing any of the subsequent books in the series. I picked this one up for free on Amazon. It is definitely one of the better freebies I've found over there, so if you're loo ...more
Isha Kamara
The Soulkeepers

This book was a surprising one. I decided to read it because I forced myself not to read the blurb and jump right into it and because the cover was intriguing. When the book changed settings, it was hard for me to follow on because so much would happen in those changes. That had caused me to dislike the book a little because I was too confused and to difficult to understand where the character would be next. I don’t think I would recommend this book to the people I know, but over
April
Such an interesting read. Not your typical YA, this has many religious elements to the story. It does have the Urban Fantasy feel with Christian undertones.

The story moves rather slowly at times. It is almost all from Jacob's POV, with a couple snippets of others. It keeps the reader in the dark about what others are thinking or their motivations. Many times the supporting characters do not give enough hints into what they think and feel.

The romance is light, this is definitely a more male orien
Stephanie
So, how did I come to have this book . . . hmm, ya know I believe I saw one day it was on sale for .99 at BN.com (thanks to Misty over at The Top Shelf) and thought to myself . . Why not? It didn't sound like my typical choice of book, but I didn't think it would hurt to have it . . you never know when something may grab your attention.

Well, a posting comes up . . asking if anyone would like to be consider for ARC of the book to follow. It was with this request that people were just saying how g
Tam Linsey
In The Soulkeepers we get to discover the magic underlying a world much like our own. Jacob Lau discovers he's something more than human, and by the end, I was cruising through the tale, excited at how all the ideas and characters were coming together. The book has a spiritual thread which sometimes seemed a little forced as Jacob denied the existence of God, but by the end, Jacob's character arc made sense.

Ching isn't afraid of making her characters real. Jacob makes some bad choices, but he le
Urban Fantasy Afi...: March Freebie Read - The Soulkeepers 17 25 Mar 20, 2014 04:19PM
  • Death Whispers (The Death Series, #1)
  • A Chance for Charity (The Immortal Ones, #1)
  • Rex Rising (Elei's Chronicles, #1)
  • Chosen (Guardians of the Word, #1)
  • Marked (Soul Guardians, #1)
  • Raven (The Raven Saga, #1)
  • Night Marchers (Night Marchers, #1)
  • Into the Shadows (Into the Shadows, #1)
  • Intuition (Intangible, #0.5)
  • Stained (Stained, #1)
  • Gravity (Gravity, #1)
  • Awaken His Eyes (The Awakened - Book One)
  • The Mind Readers (Mind Readers, #1)
  • Earth (Elemental, #1)
  • Shadow of the Sun (Timeless, #1)
  • Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #1)
  • Song to Wake to (Levels, # 1)
  • Bound (The Crystor, #1)
G.P. Ching is the bestselling author of The Soulkeepers Series and The Grounded trilogy as well as a variety of short fiction. She specializes in cross-genre novels with paranormal elements and surprising twists. G.P.’s idea of the perfect day involves a cup of coffee, the beach, and her laptop. She splits her time between central Illinois and Hilton Head Island with her husband, two children, and ...more
More about G.P. Ching...

The Soulkeepers (6 books)
  • Weaving Destiny (The Soulkeepers, #2)
  • Return to Eden (The Soulkeepers, #3)
  • Soul Catcher (The Soulkeepers, #4)
  • Lost Eden (The Soulkeepers, #5)
  • The Last Soulkeeper (The Soulkeepers, #6)
Return to Eden (The Soulkeepers, #3) Weaving Destiny (The Soulkeepers, #2) Soul Catcher (The Soulkeepers, #4) Lost Eden (The Soulkeepers, #5) The Last Soulkeeper (The Soulkeepers, #6)

“The hardest thing you will ever do in life is to know for sure what is true.” 18 likes
“...in the presence of God, it is less important who is right than what is right.” 12 likes