Clean: A History of Personal Hygiene and Purity

Clean: A History of Personal Hygiene and Purity

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  5 reviews
From pre-historic grooming rituals to New Age medicine, from ascetics to cosmetics, Smith looks at how different cultures have interpreted and striven for personal cleanliness and shows how, throughout history, this striving for purity has brought great social benefits as well as great tragedies.
Published July 1st 2007 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published May 24th 2007)

Seoda
This fat little book was full of interesting tidbits, and as a bonus, I'm pretty sure my library copy has actaully been dropped IN THE BATHTUB at some point. I had been eagerly anticipating reading this, and although I certainly learned some new things, most of it was rather slow going...More academic than I had imagined. (Then, just when I had gotten used to the pace and exhaustive amount of detail, it practically fast-forwarded through the 20th century and I felt like the ending was quite abru...more
Araminta Matthews
I found this book to be a much needed scholarly journey into the history of hygienic practices amongst various ancient (and modern) cultures of Western Civilization. At the same time, I felt the Eastern representation was decidedly lacking and could have been present in this book. Still, I'm completely inspired to make my own Balm of Gilead, now.
Robert

I should note that I speed read this for work, so I didn't get to really immerse myself in it as much as I like to with pleasure reading. But still, this one provides an interesting historical look at the interwoven notions of physical and spiritual hygiene. I may have to come back to it and give it a proper read.
Janet
I was only able to skim through this book but what I did read was very interesting and fascinating. When I get some extra time, I'll definitely re-order it again.
Marissa
I was really enjoying this book, but had to return it to the library before I finished.
Killer Rabbit
Killer Rabbit marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
William Bayly
William Bayly marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Stephanie Allen
Stephanie Allen marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Miriam
Miriam marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Jessi
Jessi marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Alexy
Alexy marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Hanan
Hanan marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Leesy
Leesy marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Sarah is currently reading it
May 12, 2014
Amara
Amara marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Trinity
Trinity is currently reading it
Jan 16, 2014