Start by marking “Behind Sad Eyes: The Life of George Harrison” as Want to Read:
Behind Sad Eyes: The Life of George Harrison

Behind Sad Eyes: The Life of George Harrison

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Shrouded in a sea of mystery, the elusive George Harrison has long been the most private and enigmatic member of the Beatles. From his hard knock childhood in Liverpool to his ascendance into rock infamy, George Harrison's life has been a torpid ride filled with legendary success and heart crushing defeat.

New York Times bestselling author Marc Shapiro sheds new light on t
Published January 2nd 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Behind Sad Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind Sad Eyes

David Melbie
Jul 17, 2012 David Melbie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of some of the best music of the 20th century!
Recommended to David by: Picked myself
George was always my favorite Beatle, and post-Beatles, his work was what I liked the most.

This book is good, and it had to be told, but I still liked George the best.

My favorite song is Here Comes the Sun.

Because he was a guitar player, I will always remember him as the inspiration for my life. And, though the book pre-dates it, the Concert for George held in London a year after his death is awesome! --From A Reader's Journal, by d r melbie.
Monica
I thought this biography of George Harrison was OK. I really liked George Harrison, and although I did learn a little bit more about him (and the other Beatles), the narrative was kind of shallow and not particularly well-written. Some other reviewers here have said it reads like a long magazine piece, and I'd agree with that. I'm surprised there are no footnotes, since there are quotes used in the book, and yet the only person who the author interviewed was Delaney Bramlett. It would be nice to ...more
Chris Dean
A quick read that moved through Harrison's life and career swiftly. Good coverage, but lacking in terms of depth. In reading both the positive and negative reviews of this book on this site, I can see where most of them have merit.
Leland
There are rare occasions when appallingly poor writing, absence of editing and a gonna-sell-my-biography-of-the-rich-and-famous style all come together to render a dark stain on a great person's life story. I'm a huge, life-long fan of George Harrison. I should know better than to think reading crap books about him will do anything but offend. In the case of this book, it was not just the content that sucked. The writing was very poor, and the editor obviously was not paying any attention. My ad ...more
Linda Barry
Interesting and reflective in parts, gave me a greater appreciation for his creativity and spirtual sides. A little gossipy in parts, but the author did try to remain objective for the most parts. Some value judgements by the author on George's motives, things he could never possibly know, contributed to my assessment of being gossipy. If you want to learn more about his early life, and creative portions of his life, it is an interesting read.
Chris
An interesting look at George Harrison. It is an easy read, if you want a synopsis of his life. I didn't realize that George was the first break-out successful Beatle. I didn't know he had many more albums than I was familiar with personally. I'm sure there are better books, if you want a more in depth look at George.
Daria Zeoli
Whoever was responsible for editing this book should be ashamed of themselves. A poorly written glimpse into the life of George Harrison.
Amanda
I was very disappointed in this book. He gets the facts wrong and seems to write with an agenda. I don't recommend it at all.
Jimmie
Cannot admire an author who proclaims in Acknowledgements " No Beatle was harmed or interviewed in the writing of this book".
Linda
Interesting as I spent more of my time in love with Paul, but not a page-turner read; more like a long magazine piece
Kitt-e-kat
OK READ. VERY INFORMATIONAL ABOUT BEATLES FORMATION AND LIFE OF GEORGE.
Matt Lehotzky
Great book. Learned a lot about him that I didn't know.
Jennifer Semonis
Jennifer Semonis marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Leigh
Leigh added it
Nov 22, 2014
Luis Roche
Luis Roche marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Neha
Neha marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Jordan
Jordan added it
Jul 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Marc Shapiro is the author of the New York Times bestselling biography, J.K. Rowling: The Wizard behind Harry Potter, and more than a dozen other celebrity biographies. He has been a freelance entertainment journalist for more than twenty-five years, covering film, television, and music for a number of national and international newspapers and magazines.

More about Marc Shapiro...
J. K. Rowling: The Wizard Behind Harry Potter Justin Bieber: The Fever! Adele: The Biography All Things (The Official Guide to the X-Files, Vol. 6) Stephenie Meyer: The Unauthorized Biography of the Creator of the Twilight Saga