Start by marking “Behind Sad Eyes: The Life of George Harrison” as Want to Read:
Behind Sad Eyes: The Life of George Harrison

Behind Sad Eyes: The Life of George Harrison

3.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  157 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Shrouded in a sea of mystery, the elusive George Harrison has long been the most private and enigmatic member of the Beatles. From his hard knock childhood in Liverpool to his ascendance into rock infamy, George Harrison's life has been a torpid ride filled with legendary success and heart crushing defeat.

New York Times bestselling author Marc Shapiro sheds new light on th
Published January 2nd 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Behind Sad Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind Sad Eyes

David Melbie
Jul 17, 2012 David Melbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of some of the best music of the 20th century!
Recommended to David by: Picked myself
George was always my favorite Beatle, and post-Beatles, his work was what I liked the most.

This book is good, and it had to be told, but I still liked George the best.

My favorite song is Here Comes the Sun.

Because he was a guitar player, I will always remember him as the inspiration for my life. And, though the book pre-dates it, the Concert for George held in London a year after his death is awesome! --From A Reader's Journal, by d r melbie.
Charles
Feb 14, 2016 Charles rated it it was ok
Shelves: dissappointment
First, this is an unauthorized biography, so most of this book has the words 'reportedly' and 'supposedly' and 'it is possible' - Okay - so, a guy read a book or two on George Harrison and then wrote one himself, to capitalize on the ex-Beatle?

I cannot take any information in this book seriously, as the author is CONSTANTLY saying that this 'reportedly' happened, or hypothesis of what George may have thought or felt - I mean, this is so poorly done, I would not recommend this to anyone. At least
Colleen Mertens
Jun 20, 2016 Colleen Mertens rated it liked it
This book is a balanced biography of my favorite Beatle. The stories were somewhat familiar to me since I have read much about the Beatles and George in particular. The book had a good subject to work with and gives a view into the world of Harrison. It is good reading for summer relaxation time.
Monica
Nov 20, 2014 Monica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
I thought this biography of George Harrison was OK. I really liked George Harrison, and although I did learn a little bit more about him (and the other Beatles), the narrative was kind of shallow and not particularly well-written. Some other reviewers here have said it reads like a long magazine piece, and I'd agree with that. I'm surprised there are no footnotes, since there are quotes used in the book, and yet the only person who the author interviewed was Delaney Bramlett. It would be nice to ...more
Oct 16, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This is a short, quick read about the "Quiet Beatle." It briefly discusses his childhood,his years with the Beatles, his Interest in Eastern religion and music, his drug usage and depression, and his solo career. The other Beatles are there, but they are in the background.
Paul Baker
Aug 06, 2016 Paul Baker rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography
This is a very short, very slanted biography. Marc Shapiro had his own opinions before he started writing and he uses this biography to vindicate them. I'm sure there must be a better biography of George Harrison out there.
Jason Duncan
True to the title - it is a sad tale that was told.
Can't help but feel that there was more to George Harrison than what was presented here,
he is more than his music - accomplished as he is,
would have liked to delve further to meet the person.
Chris Dean
A quick read that moved through Harrison's life and career swiftly. Good coverage, but lacking in terms of depth. In reading both the positive and negative reviews of this book on this site, I can see where most of them have merit.
Leland
Feb 22, 2009 Leland rated it did not like it
There are rare occasions when appallingly poor writing, absence of editing and a gonna-sell-my-biography-of-the-rich-and-famous style all come together to render a dark stain on a great person's life story. I'm a huge, life-long fan of George Harrison. I should know better than to think reading crap books about him will do anything but offend. In the case of this book, it was not just the content that sucked. The writing was very poor, and the editor obviously was not paying any attention. My ad ...more
SouthWestZippy
Jan 19, 2016 SouthWestZippy rated it it was amazing
Quick easy read, very interesting and good book.
Linda Barry
Jan 31, 2011 Linda Barry rated it it was ok
Interesting and reflective in parts, gave me a greater appreciation for his creativity and spirtual sides. A little gossipy in parts, but the author did try to remain objective for the most parts. Some value judgements by the author on George's motives, things he could never possibly know, contributed to my assessment of being gossipy. If you want to learn more about his early life, and creative portions of his life, it is an interesting read.
Chris
Dec 10, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
An interesting look at George Harrison. It is an easy read, if you want a synopsis of his life. I didn't realize that George was the first break-out successful Beatle. I didn't know he had many more albums than I was familiar with personally. I'm sure there are better books, if you want a more in depth look at George.
Daria Zeoli
Whoever was responsible for editing this book should be ashamed of themselves. A poorly written glimpse into the life of George Harrison.
Amanda
Nov 20, 2010 Amanda rated it did not like it
Shelves: biography
I was very disappointed in this book. He gets the facts wrong and seems to write with an agenda. I don't recommend it at all.
Jimmie
May 05, 2013 Jimmie rated it it was ok
Cannot admire an author who proclaims in Acknowledgements " No Beatle was harmed or interviewed in the writing of this book".
Linda
Jul 12, 2011 Linda rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography-adult
Interesting as I spent more of my time in love with Paul, but not a page-turner read; more like a long magazine piece
Kitt-e-kat
Nov 18, 2009 Kitt-e-kat rated it liked it
OK READ. VERY INFORMATIONAL ABOUT BEATLES FORMATION AND LIFE OF GEORGE.
Matt Lehotzky
Jun 08, 2012 Matt Lehotzky rated it really liked it
Great book. Learned a lot about him that I didn't know.
Leigh Roberts
Jan 05, 2013 Leigh Roberts rated it liked it
It's ok
Ken P
Ken P added it
Aug 08, 2016
Donna
Donna is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2016
Christy
Christy rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Anouska Stacey
Anouska Stacey marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Jennifer Lewis
Jennifer Lewis marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Diane Killion
Diane Killion marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
  • I Met the Walrus: How One Day with John Lennon Changed My Life Forever
  • The Last Living Slut: Born in Iran, Bred Backstage
  • The Interloper: Lee Harvey Oswald Inside the Soviet Union
  • I'm Just Sayin'!: Three Deaths, Seven Husbands, and a Clone! My Life as a Daytime Diva
  • Saddam's Secrets
  • Work: How to Find Joy and Meaning in Each Hour of the Day
  • Traci Lords: Underneath It All
  • Wake Up, I'm Fat!
  • Our Occulted History: Who or What Is Trying to Control Our Lives
  • We Meant Well: How I Helped Lose the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of the Iraqi People
Marc Shapiro is the author of the New York Times bestselling biography, J.K. Rowling: The Wizard behind Harry Potter, and more than a dozen other celebrity biographies. He has been a freelance entertainment journalist for more than twenty-five years, covering film, television, and music for a number of national and international newspapers and magazines.

More about Marc Shapiro...