Start by marking “Land Of Mountains” as Want to Read:
Land Of Mountains

Land Of Mountains

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A ten-year-old's new home on an exotic Caribbean island proves so fascinating she quickly forgets she didn't want to leave Texas. After all, where better than a jungle world teeming with voodoo, mystery, and a really pesky zombie, to indulge her favorite pastime: snooping.
In this humorous mystery, award-winning author Jinx Schwartz transports the reader to another time an
Published September 18th 2010 by Treble Heart Books

To ask other readers questions about Land Of Mountains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Land Of Mountains

Angelfall by Susan EeThe Steward by Christopher  ShieldsThe Immortal Rules by Julie KagawaThe Nightlife by Travis LuedkeSwitched by Amanda Hocking
Best Unknown but must be Known books
35th out of 5,666 books — 4,780 voters
When Pigs Fly by Bob SanchezThe Steward by Christopher  ShieldsLittle Mountain by Bob SanchezGetting Lucky by Bob SanchezDivorce Hotel by B.R.  Snow
Best Indie Books to Read in 2012
75th out of 969 books — 1,185 voters

More lists with this book...

Laurie Hanan
Like other readers, I originally bought this book with the hope my 11-year-old would be interested in it. I decided to read a few pages, just to see if I thought it would hold the attention of a middle schooler. Well, it grabbed me from the opening sentence and I couldn't put it down till I was done. I could fully relate to the premise, because I was whisked off to a strange and primitive South Sea island at age 11 for my father's work. But that's pretty much where the similarity ends. With her ...more
Kristen
I read this book in one sitting, a smile on my face for hours. When Lizbuthann, a 10-year-old Texan, arrives in Haiti with her mother and little sister, her troubles start almost immediately: she faints into the lap of the huge lady in brilliantly colored scarves selling voodoo dolls on the tarmac. Might have had something to do with the two frozen daiquiris Lizbuthann drank on the plane...
Elizabeth Ann, with her mop of red hair, has the fearlessness of youth, certain that she can survive anythi
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Theresa L. Stowell for TeensReadToo.com

It's 1953, and Elizabeth Ann's family is moving to Haiti, but she's young enough that she doesn't really understand where they are going. She excitedly tells her school class, "'My Daddy's a dam builder, he's going to Hell, and he's taking us with him."

Later, Grandma Hetta has to explain the difference between Haiti and Hades (which relieves Lizbuthann, who had worried about inadvertently sending her father to Hell after an argument), but this q
Marty Beaudet
This was a pleasant, rewarding read. It was a coming of age story set in the exotic environment of an impoverished Haiti, making it more interesting than if the setting had been more familiar. The narrator, an adolescent girl, reminded me of Scout, the narrator of "To Kill a Mockingbird": precocious, curious, rebellious but circumspect. I looked forward to opening it each night for a brief escape to her world.
Wanda Porter
A ten year old girl has wild adventures when her family move to Haiti in 1954.This story made me laugh. I'm not sure kids would get the humor, but might like reading about zombies and a culture that practices voodoo.This book isn't scary, but it is funny.
Robert Boswell
Just downloaded to my kindle for .99c Great book. Found out it is a finalist for the 2012 epic ebook award for best young adult.

About a young girl growing up in Haiti. Lots of humor.
Martha Cheves
Land of Mountains – Review by Martha A. Cheves, Author of Stir, Laugh, Repeat

‘Yep, that first year in Haiti was a ring-tailed tooter. I’d learned a new language, met a zombie, survived polio and malaria, and nearly started a revolution. I couldn’t wait for 1954.’

Elizabeth Ann, called Lizbuthann by most, is originally from Texas, but will soon find herself in what will become her "beloved" Haiti. Hopefully for her parents, she will stay out of trouble. But even at the tender age of 10, Lizbuthann
Bee
Land of Mountains by Jinx Schwartz is a young adult novel that chronicles the adventures of Texas born ten-year old Lizbuthann (i.e. Elizabeth Anne) after she and her family move to Haiti. She's a rough and tumble sort of child, always interested in snooping and getting into mischief. The story follows her as she struggles with disease, political unrest, and the occasional zombie.

Unfortunately, the first thing that stands out about this book are the formatting mistakes. Perhaps it is only the K
Christoph Fischer
"Land of Mountains" by Jinx Schwartz is a fantastic read for young adults and those young at heart. Told in the instantly likable and interesting voice of a ten year old girl, we see the island of Haitii in the 1950s from a fascinating and entertaining perspective.
Great adventure and plot go hand in hand with impressive knowledge of the country and its customs. I loved this book and feel I learned a lot at the same time. An all round winner.
Sheryl
What a delightfully fun book! I didn't realize when I first downloaded it that it was a young adult book, but I'm glad I did. The heroine, Lizbuthann, reminded me very much of a slightly older Junie B. Jones. In the early 1950s, Lizbuthann's father and uncle take jobs building a dam in Haiti. Lizbuthann and her BFF Doux Doux Boudreaux, armed with horses, an unhealthy sense of curiosity, and an alarming lack of regard for the rules, take Haiti by storm. Hilarity -- and a darn good yarn -- ensues. ...more
Susi
Having been to the country where this book took place I was eager to read it. I absolutely loved it! The character was precious and her friend, the zombie, took the cake! What a ride! Jinx Schwartz, you are amazing!
Carly Kirk
Excellent story!

I have to agree with other reviewers who've said this is a YA book for all ages. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would love to read any further adventures of Lizbuthann!
Toni
This book is one of those light hearted, laugh out loud books full of mischief and mayhem; all caused by an eleven year old girl whose imagination landed her, her friends, her family and the whole village in mess after mess. I loved reading it.
Dava Stewart
I generally really like YA. I read at least a few books meant for young adults every year. As many other reviewers have said, this is a good story - it's funny, attention getting, and interesting. I wished there had been some sort of epiloge telling me that Lizbuthann went back to Haiti to see all of her friends as an adult...but there wasn't so I will just have to imagine it was so.

At the beginning of the book, I kept thinking of To Kill a Mockingbird, and waiting for something awful to happen
Larbara
Lovely story and descriptions of Haiti before the revolution touching on it a little bit. But since it is from the point of view of a preteen girl, her issues & responses are what's happening "now". It's a mystery and adventure. I got lost in it and enjoyed it very much.
Dick Whittington
Memoir...written from school-girl POV. Dad moves family to Haiti in 1950's while he works on dam construction in the mountains and jungle outside Port-Au-Prince. Interesting and fun read. Enjoyed it.
Kim Stanford
Kim Stanford marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Michelle
Michelle is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2015
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Brenna
Brenna marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Liliana
Liliana marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Joshua Whiting
Joshua Whiting marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Evie Childs
Evie Childs marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Driving Lesson
  • The Girl Who Married an Eagle: A Mystery
  • The City of Refuge (Memphis Cycle, #1)
  • Promise the Night
  • Cat and Mouse
  • Cherish
  • How Huge the Night
  • Camp Follower (A Mystery of the American Revolution, # 3)
  • Promise Breaker
  • The Highlander (The Rise of the Aztecs, #1)
  • Devil on My Heels
  • The Spruce Gum Box
  • The Zenith
  • Bloodline Rising (Bloodline, #2)
  • River of Eden
  • The Dagger Before Me (Persephone Cole Vintage Mystery, #1)
  • The Rainaldi Quartet (Castiglione and Guastafeste, #1)
  • Pirates of Savannah: The Complete Trilogy (Pirates of Savannah, #1-3)
Jinx Schwartz is the author of the award-winning Hetta Coffey series.

JUST ADD WATER, first in the series, introduces Hetta, a sassy Texan with a snazzy yacht, and she's not afraid to use it. JUST ADD SALT, JUST ADD TROUBLE, JUST DESERTS,and JUST THE PITS follow her into hot Mexican water. JUST NEEDS KILLIN', Book 6 in the series, is now available.

Her other books: The Texicans (Texas 1806-1836 Hist
More about Jinx Schwartz...
Just Add Salt (Hetta Coffey Mystery, #2) Just Deserts (Hetta Coffey Mystery, #4) Just The Pits (Hetta Coffey Mystery, #5) Just Needs Killin' (Hetta Coffey Mystery, #6) Troubled Sea