Start by marking “Rebel Buddha: A Guide to a Revolution of Mind” as Want to Read:
Rebel Buddha: A Guide to a Revolution of Mind

Rebel Buddha: A Guide to a Revolution of Mind

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  779 ratings  ·  56 reviews
There’s a rebel within you. It’s the part of you that already knows how to break free of fear and unhappiness. This rebel is the voice of your own awakened mind. It’s your rebel buddha—the sharp, clear intelligence that resists the status quo. It wakes you up from the sleepy acceptance of your day-to-day reality and shows you the power of your enlightened nature. It’s the ...more
Published September 6th 2011 by Shambhala (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Rebel Buddha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebel Buddha

Stephanie
Psst.

I going to tell you a little secret. I have this plan. I read these books on Buddhism because one day when I am old and can't take care of myself that good anymore, when I am close to homeless and seriously considering cat food as an option, I will walk into the nearest Buddhist temple thingy and offer myself up as a monk.

Sure I will have to shave my head and wear orange, but I'll just be old enough that I won't care about being cute anymore.

Hey, it beats being a nun.
Hans
Don't let the title scare you into thinking that it is just "Pop-Buddhism". It definitely is, but it is much more as well. I almost didn't read the book because I thought it would be repackaged Buddhism for yuppies or worse "Buddhism-made-hip". Which in some ways it is but then I had the other thought "does it have to be old and obscure to be authentic Buddhism?" To me that is an equally obnoxious thought to disregard or discredit a message simply because it isn't old or difficult to understand. ...more
Andy
A plain vanilla milkshake of Buddhism. Nothing new here. Not awful, just kinda useless if you have any prior knowledge on the topic.
Tony Riches
Life changing. If you have any interest in learning more about what Buddhism is about read this. Namaste!
Courtney
Dzogchen Ponlop uses REBEL BUDDHA to discuss the origins, practices, and misconceptions of Buddhism within the context of current society. He is quick to point out that it is not a theistic "religion" but a mindset, a way of life. Even then, there are many aspects of this book that can teach and encourage everyone, regardless of religious backgrounds. For instance, Buddhism advocates that kindness is the greatest gift that anyone can give because it's free and plentiful. In addition, people shou ...more
Scott
The title on this book is somewhere between being trendy and slightly misleading. Linking Buddhism with rebelling has at least as much to do with trying to link the particular appeal that anything smacking of rebellion has for some people as it does with being a reasonable approach to Buddhism, and once we get beyond the title and into the book itself, the author uses the "rebel buddha" motif very little.

But he does do a very good job of presenting Buddhist thought and practice in a way that's v
Arlene
I loved this book. It presents the essence of Buddhism in an easily accessible way, emphasizing the need to trust oneself, and to separate the cultural accouterments from the teachings.
Nissa
Great read to understand the philosophy without the dogma of Buddhism. Awakened mind!
Rama
An introduction to the metaphysical thoughts of Buddhism

The author, a founder-teacher of Nalandabodhi, an international network of Buddhist practice centers, also teaches the Buddhist wisdom and meditation around the world. In this book he shares his journey of mind and spreads the message of Buddha about life, physical reality, and freedom to attain eternal bliss and liberation from the sufferings.

The summary of his work is as follows: The problem with humans is that we don't see who we truly
Daniel
A great introduction to Buddhism, if a little bit of prior knowledge might be required.
I loved the first half of the book, having been a Buddhist for some time it was a hugely refreshing way of looking at Buddhism as a whole.

The book did start to stagnate as it reached the later stages moving to a more traditional outlook, but this isn't a major fault, simply one that stopped me page turning to grasp the fresh outlook of the start.

Overall, well recommended.
Nik
Buddha once said that the finger that points at the moon, is not the moon. This book helped me develop a greater interest for the philosophical propositions of Buddhism and other faith traditions without having to accept the dogmatic, or religious symbols and traditions found within each one. Just as the finger that points at the moon is not the moon, the religion that points to God is not God, belief in God is not God either. Maybe if there is an empiric object or personage known as God, it can ...more
Reid
I admit to mostly skimming this book. There is really nothing new here, though it is restated in terms that perhaps the author hopes will be attractive to those who need to feel they are rebelling in choosing the path of the dharma. Ho hum.
Paula
Enjoyed the modern, plain language of this book - like how to meditate on the subway and use Facebook in your daily practice.
Rafael Martinez
This is the best introduction to Buddhism I have come across. This not only covers what Buddhism is, but also covers what it can blossom into in the West.

Dzogchen Ponlop cuts the cultural and academic chaff of Buddhism so that a beginner can understand what is at the heart of Buddhist wisdom.

Three meditation techniques are provided as well as a great example of analytical meditation.

If you want to learn about Buddhism and meditation, this is a great book to start with.

Dzogchen Ponlop eschews the
Justin
I listened to the audio book version of 'Rebel Buddha.' I think I should make it crystal clear that I am by no means an audio book person. This has only further cemented that fact. I only opted for this format because it was a free offer from Audible.com. I know I missed a lot and could've gained more from a physical copy.

There isn't anything new or groundbreaking in 'Rebel Buddha,' but Dzogchen Ponlop does cast an interesting and fairly unique light on classic Buddhist thought. This isn't just
speciallyi
Learnt more about Buddha and... generally I feel the road to enlightenment to a rather painful one. You must struggle (with your mind) to be free. Like the book says, some of us turn to more convenient avenues- the one proposed here requires a very focused intensity and discipline in order to shape and awaken your mind. No shit this is no mean feat T.T It's really hard to detach from emotions, and worse, 'self'. I feel like I will be stuck at the stage of consciousness forever. Double edged swor ...more
Tim Weakley
Ponlop created a clearly written attempt at making first principles of Buddhism understandable to a Western audience with this collection of lectures written ten years apart. There's nothing really new here, but it's well written and easily approached. The small section in the back of the book about the three types of meditation he discusses is also very interesting. He touches breifly on the concept of self in a way that I would like to explore further.
Tommy
A well-written book for Westerners who are curious about, or already practicing, Buddhism. Dzogchen Ponlop shares insights from the historic Eastern origins of this philosophy, and applies it to the Starbucks and Apple computer crowd that populate so many American sanghas.

I can't say I experienced any epiphanies reading "Rebel Buddha", as I did when reading the more personal, confessional (and humorous) approach of Geri Larkin, still my favorite Buddhist writer, but Ponlop does write with the s
Noah Rasheta
This book does a great job of explaining the Buddhist philosophical approach to life without the dogma or religious strings attached. This is written for the westerner who wants to understand Buddhism without having to learn any of the typical Buddhist lingo or vocabulary. I loved this book. I purchased 5 copies to give to friends and family to help them understand my philosophical approach to life.
Anissa
I was happy to read this book and learn the philosophy for life of Buddhism without dogma or religion. I hope to implement some of what I learned into my life.
Stacye
I think I need to listen again. There's lots of good stuff here...good enough to override an incredibly boring reader. Occasionally a shiny pearl made it's way through my I-wish-I-didn't-have-to-go-to-work fog which is why I feel I need to give it another listen. Or maybe, I'll read it for myself!
Taylor Ellwood
Rebel Buddha is a guide to finding Buddha within you, as well as exploring the concept of the Rebel Buddha, which is the voice of your waking self reaching out to challenge you. The essays in this book explore Buddhism from a philosophical/lifestyle approach as opposed to a religious approach. I found that I really got a lot out of such an approach, because the author doesn't use a lot of esoteric language. He strips Buddhism down to its core, and in the process asks the reader to do the same wi ...more
Sam Motes
A basic easily understood primer on the teachings of Buddhism and living a mindful life. Takes a very lax view of meditation with little formalized patterns that makes it a very approachable introduction to the Eastern thought for the Western mind.
Steve Woods
A great book. It relates the basic tenets of Buddhism precisely and directly to every day life. Although not necessary some knowledge and experience with practice will help make senmse of it all. I found it reassurring and encouraging, this is the path forward for me. The later chapters which relate to the experience that comes after the process of surrendering the sense of clinging self has begun are relevant to me now. I am struggling with compassion for others and for self. The book has been ...more
3.5 stars. Some really good stuff in there.
From my book review blog Rundpinne..."Complete with appendices and an index, as well as a modern approach to teaching the practice of Buddhism, Rebel Buddha not only serves as an educational source for those simply interested in learning about Buddhism, but also offers up new ways of thinking about Buddhism for the well versed."....The full review may be read here.
Meaghan McQuade
I give this book 3 stars. If I had read this when I was younger and just getting into Buddhism perhaps I would have given it 4 or 5 stars. It covers the basic tenants of Buddhism from a non-religious standpoint which is certainly refreshing and does have value. Essentially a great read for those who haven't read much on the subject matter and are looking for a bare bones approach - as I don't feel it holds much value to those already versed in the subject matter.
Rachel
Really loved this book. I took my time reading it and it seemed that each time I picked it up, the very section was relevant to what I was experiencing. As I am against the idea of labeling - I loved the insight into the craze that comes from good/bad or right/wrong. No real "new" information, but so relevant and necessary. Highly recommended.
Arjun
While its a bit self-helpish at times, (I cringe when I hear 'unlocking your inner rebel buddha') but its a great overview of Buddhist principles, and makes an effort to take ancient teachings and contextualize them to life today. For that, I think its work a read, and its a great overview of Buddhist point of view on Well being.
Diane C.
Very good book for Westerners curious about or already practicing Buddhism. Another take on mindfulness, meditation, compassion and modern life.

For me these books are all different teachers reminding me of what's important and inspiring me in daily life. All with slightly different voices, love these kinds of books.
  • Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume
  • The Heart of the Revolution: The Buddha's Radical Teachings on Forgiveness, Compassion, and Kindness
  • Confession of a Buddhist Atheist
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Breathe! You Are Alive: Sutra on the Full Awareness of Breathing
  • Becoming Enlightened
  • Getting Unstuck: Breaking Your Habitual Patterns & Encountering Naked Reality
  • Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
  • Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life
  • The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness
  • How to Meditate: A Practical Guide
  • The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
Karma Sungrap Ngedon Tenpa Gyaltsen was enthroned as the Seventh Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche by Rangjung Yeshe Dorje, Gyalwang Karmapa XVI, in 1968. A former Tibetan Buddhist monk, he remains a lay teacher in the Karma Kagyu lineage as well as the Nyingma tradition.

A graduate of Karma Shri Nalanda Institute for Higher Buddhist Studies (the monastic college at Rumtek) and Columbia University in New Yo
More about Dzogchen Ponlop...
Mind Beyond Death Wild Awakening: The Heart of Mahamudra and Dzogchen Penetrating Wisdom Entering The Path: Outer And Inner Refuge Profound View, Fearless Path