Start by marking “Head First HTML5 Programming” as Want to Read:
Head First HTML5 Programming

Head First HTML5 Programming

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  280 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
HTML has been on a wild ride. Sure, HTML started as a mere markup language, but more recently HTML’s put on some major muscle. Now we’ve got a language tuned for building web applications with Web storage, 2D drawing, offline support, sockets and threads, and more. And to speak this language you’ve got to go beyond HTML5 markup and into the world of the DOM, events, and Ja ...more
Published October 18th 2011 by O'Reilly Media, Incorporated (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Head First HTML5 Programming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Head First HTML5 Programming

Introduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. CormenHead First Java by Kathy SierraJavaScript by Douglas CrockfordThe Algorithm Design Manual by Steven S. SkienaVirtual Reality by Howard Rheingold
Programmer
27th out of 68 books — 7 voters
The Signal and the Noise by Nate SilverThe Elements of Statistical Learning by Trevor HastieDataclysm by Christian RudderSuper Crunchers by Ian AyresMoneyball by Michael Lewis
Data Science - Learning About Data
61st out of 88 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Mary
Jan 07, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it
A good introduction to working with JavaScript. It is well written, fun, and kept my interest even through thing I knew, or thought I knew. The examples and also clever and fun as well.

One thing to note is this is much more about JavaScript than HTML & CSS. If you are not comfortable with HTML & CSS, I suggest that you pick up the Head First HTML and CSS book and work through it first.

Don't expect to be an expert at the end of the book. There is a lot more to learn than you will find her
Kayla
Jan 02, 2015 Kayla rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I didn't finish this. The first few chapters were decent and I understood them. The farther I went the more confusing it got. It was very cluttered starting introducing topics poorly. It just made me confused about it rather than the one I finished earlier. Just gonna let it go and find something else.
Vivek Kumar
Jun 06, 2016 Vivek Kumar is currently reading it
HTML 5 is different from older version. There are lots of feature using which we can write mobile web apps in html itself. Good to read ...
Una Theia
Sep 24, 2012 Una Theia rated it liked it
Playful and very understandable, I thought in the beginning.

Then it started to get annoying. It's like when you play too much and you get bored, pissed off, you start to lose and you end up not giving a damn about the game.

Also, I encountered a lot of problems understanding the VERY poorly organized Javascript. HTML5 is very simple, and if it's HTML5 you're trying to learn, go to w3schools.com. I wanted to learn some (very clearly explained, as I hoped to find in this book) Javascript. I start
Invisible
May 18, 2014 Invisible rated it liked it
Shelves: computer-science
Very introductory book not so much suitable for CS background readers.
Lars Ole Christoffersen
Accession no: DL026856
Sandy
Dec 05, 2014 Sandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech-useful, mim
Read this for a class. It's good for beginners, which is who it's designed for. Since I was a beginner, it worked out well. It was really helpful with callback functions (for APIs) and what that involves but it didn't go quite far enough. I needed to use the returned data globally and it left me hanging. But as a good, understandable introduction, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better.
Karim Omaya
Apr 25, 2015 Karim Omaya rated it really liked it
is the best way to start know the new functionality of HTML5
Arjen
Mar 01, 2013 Arjen rated it liked it
Another winner from Head First. Not as good as the Javascript one but still a decent foundation for anyone who wants to get started with HTML5.

What I like is that the examples are clear, easy to understand but still prepare you to do some pretty clever 'impress-your-neighbour-and-even-though-he-wont-admit-your-java-writing-colleague'.

Good stuff.
Jeffrey
Aug 28, 2012 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Yes, this book moves really slow, but if you plan to read it on the train during your morning and evening commutes, slow is a good thing.

Gives you a good tour of what's in HTML 5 and shows you what's important. Isn't in depth enough to tackle projects on your own, but you can google the deep knowledge.
Matt
Dec 22, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it
Easy access. Quick reading. Some nice gems. Yr not going to learn everything you need to know or the best, best way to do it. Such a book might be hard to churn out because the field is thick. (They avoided jQuery usage even tho it's pretty much standard, for example, etc.)

Great series tho.
Tom Panning
May 19, 2013 Tom Panning rated it it was amazing
Shelves: javascript
This book holds up to the Head First standard, and would be good for anyone with knowledge of html. Even though I'm outside the target audience of the book (I'm more familiar with programming than most readers probably are), it was a good introduction to a lot of the practical things in JavaScript.
Ilia Melititskiy
Jan 16, 2014 Ilia Melititskiy rated it it was ok
Skimmed the last 30% of the book, just because it's started to annoy me. Too much quirkiness, too many pictures, not a lot information. OK for someone who's only starting to learn about the web technologies. But you'll still have to read some more serious stuff.
Tsvetomir
Dec 02, 2015 Tsvetomir rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
If you know nothing about JavaScript and HTML APIs - this book is for you. Very good explanation about beginners, a lot of examples and exercises. Only requirement is to have some knowledge about HTML and CSS.
Jwalant
May 11, 2013 Jwalant rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
Nicely explained JavaScript, HTML5, JSON, JSONP and many other related aspects.
This is the most interesting way to present content of a book I have ever seen.
Great way to make learning fun!
António Pereira
Jul 01, 2012 António Pereira rated it really liked it
Not a complex book for HTML5 begginers. Easy understand and good academic examples. Lack of CSS :(
Husam
Feb 01, 2013 Husam rated it liked it
This book is made for complete beginners, I didn't get as much knowledge as I expected from it.
Eugenio
Nov 14, 2012 Eugenio rated it really liked it
Good book for starters in web development, gives you the basics of the power of HTML5.
Santhosh
Sergio Venicius
Aug 30, 2012 Sergio Venicius rated it really liked it
good book for starters
Himangshu Maity
Himangshu Maity marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Sanmit Kalbhor
Sanmit Kalbhor marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Timothy
Timothy rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Nick Armstrong
Nick Armstrong rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Nick Armstrong
Nick Armstrong rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Srdjan
Srdjan rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Dietrich Kriworotow
Dietrich Kriworotow rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
  • Regular Expressions Cookbook
  • Head First Software Development
  • Head First jQuery
  • Head First Ajax
  • Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design: A Brain Friendly Guide to OOA&D
  • Introducing HTML5
  • HTML5 and CSS3: Develop with Tomorrow's Standards Today
  • HTML5: Up and Running
  • JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
  • Bulletproof Web Design: Improving Flexibility and Protecting Against Worst-Case Scenarios with XHTML and CSS
  • Head First C#
  • Smashing CSS: Professional Techniques for Modern Layout
  • Head First Android Development

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »