The Strife of Love in a Dream: Being the Elizabethan Version of the First Book of the Hypnerotomachia of Francesco Colonna (1890)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  22 reviews
This scarce antiquarian book is a selection from Kessinger Publishing's Legacy Reprint Series. Due to its age, it may contain imperfections such as marks, notations, marginalia and flawed pages. Because we believe this work is culturally important, we have made it available as part of our commitment to protecting, preserving, and promoting the world's literature. Kessinger...more
Published September 10th 2010 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1499)

To ask other readers questions about The Strife of Love in a Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Strife of Love in a Dream

Amy

The Strife of Love in a Dream, or, I Love Cusps

Francesco Colonna was obsessed with architecture, for sure, in a didactically ordered, religiously literate, and, I’ll say it!, fascist kind of way. Yet, the book itself, Hypnerotomachia Poliphili (The Strife of Love in a Dream), is a formally Anti-Fascist exploration of form. It is also a diligent “portal.” To the underworld of other worldly. Into “pleasure” and “unthinkable happiness.” For this, I think it is brilliant!

It was written long ago: 149...more
Mitch
Colonna’s Hypnerotomachia, which can be translated as “Poliphilio’s Strive of Love in a Dream,” tells the author’s tale of love for a girl, Polia. It takes place in two dreams amidst pagan bacchanalia that celebrate Greek and Roman antiquity, especially the architecture, gardens and costuming that the lustful Dominican monk imagined as he wrote in his cell at a Treviso monastery between 1465 and 1467. Based on hints left in the text and what little is known about Colonna during those years, Poli...more
Eddie Watkins
I first heard of this book when John Crowley mentioned it in his Aegypt cycle, and, as I am prone to do, I bought it solely because it was mentioned in a book I love.

It's been sitting on my shelf for years now, and once I tried to read it through, but got way bogged down. So now I just take it down once in a while and look at. It is one of those books that's nice to just look at, with thick creamy pages, wide margins, and some illustrations.

What I actually read in it reminded me quite a bit of R...more
Jessica
Probably one of the most difficult books I have read. I have read it a couple times from school and for pleasure over a couple of years. If you don't mind a very detailed dream filled with mythological, sexual flights and many other topics all rolled into one story then this book is right down your alley. I came to love it after dissecting this book in my art history class. I defiantly recommend doing history research to understand the time this was written and you may be one step above really g...more
Ben Mines
The Hypnerotomachia Poliphili (translatable as, "Poliphilo's strife of love in a dream") is a Renaissance incunabulum, famed for its beautiful typography and engravings, that tells the story of a young man's quest for his beloved in a dream. Believed to be the work of the Italian monk Colonna (on the evidence of the acrostic, "Brother Francesco Colonna dearly loved Polia" formed by the first letter of each chapter) the book is written in a kind of dream language, a complex compound of Italian an...more
Spyros Maniatopoulos
A dreamy read. Difficult, rather challenging, but in a certain and peculiar way more reminiscent of Neil Gaiman's the Sandmand and Alan Moore's Lost Girls rather than contemporary litterature.

Plus there was a special reaosn to read it- and I was overdue.

Not anymore.

Try it, people.
Gregory Sotir
Reading through this book is like opening an old bottle of fine deep red wine. On a hammock. In my backyard. During the summertime. Lovely gardens and architecture, long sentences that make my mind feel alive.
Tecni
Mar 19, 2013 Tecni rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tecni by: Beatriz Fraguela
Este es el libro favorito de mi novia, lo cual ya es razón necesaria y suficiente para que lo leyera, al igual que yo le hago tragar con mis parafilias particulares. Porque el "Polífilo" es una parafilia, y al que me diga que no es porque no lo ha leído: a pesar de ser literatura renacentista, es barroco como él solo y no quiero ni imaginar cómo habría sido si la traducción no hubiera sido de Pilar Pedraza (probablemente un desastre).

La cuestión es que es un libro complicado de leer, no ya porqu...more
Greg
This is an excellent translation and interpretation of an important work of Renaissance literature that exerted a profound impact on aesthetics, particularly in architecture. Plus the author was a horndog!
Lane Wilkinson
Perhaps the greatest of incunabula. An expansive polyglot of classical allusions, clever wordplay, and playful typesetting. Further, the book is worth buying if only for the intricate woodcuts throughout.
Yuki
Aug 05, 2011 Yuki marked it as interested  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book which inspired The Rule of Four, which turned out to be one of the worst books I have ever read, unfortunately. Still, could be a fascinating read.. one day.....
Matthew Flowers
I will still pick this book up, randomly open to a page and start reading. This helps me go to sleep. An amazing mind wrote it, but it is very easy to get lost in the details.
Amanda
Sep 07, 2007 Amanda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-b4-i-die

i've tried once...but not very hard...to read this.
i believe it should be a good vacation project.
ideally while vacationing in tuscany
'Jj
Aug 23, 2012 'Jj rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to 'Jj by: Jaron Lanier
referred to by Jaron Lanier - sounds very interesting & I'm giving it 5 stars simply because it exists…and hope to read it someday...more
Doremelody
read a few chapters but not enough to give a cogent or thorough review. the plot is fantastic though.
Adam
One of those things that I find more inspiring than something to be read for pleasure.
Ambra
The rating is for the original version in italian. Didn't read this english translation.
al•veiz
Complicated work. Impressive edition.
I missed the censors' effects, so typical
Ben
Feb 19, 2008 Ben marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Ancient and beautiful text, dense, but written as a key to another story.
Vanlilith
architettura&arte
Al
Al added it
Aug 21, 2014
Neil Molitoris
Neil Molitoris marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Matti
Matti marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Preben Karlsen
Preben Karlsen marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Dilara Dilcioğlu
Dilara Dilcioğlu marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
  • Jerusalem Delivered
  • Giordano Bruno & Hermetic Tradition
  • The Voynich Manuscript: The Unsolved Riddle of an Extraordinary Book Which has Defied Interpretation for Centuries
  • Canzoniere
  • Dos Delitos e das Penas
  • The Adventures of Amir Hamza
  • The Heptameron
  • Letters on Cezanne
  • Satires, Epistles and Ars Poetica (Loeb Classical Library No. 194)
  • The Trivium: The Liberal Arts of Logic, Grammar, and Rhetoric
  • On Duties (Cambridge Texts in the History of Political Thought)
  • Mandragola
  • Space And Place: The Perspective of Experience
Francesco Colonna (1433/1434 – 1527) was an Italian Dominican priest and monk who was credited with the authorship of the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili by an acrostic in the text.

He lived in Venice, and preached at St. Mark's Cathedral. Besides Hypnerotomachia Poliphili, he definitely wrote an Italian epic poem called Delfili Somnium, the "Dream of Delfilo' which went unpublished in his lifetime and w...more
More about Francesco Colonna...
Hypnerotomachia The Strife of Loue in a Dreame Thomas McKnight's ARCADIA Hypnerotomachia Poliphili: A Batalha de Amor em Sonho de Polifilo The Dream of Poliphilus Facsimiles of One Hundred and Sixty Eight Woodcuts in the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili, Venice, 1499 Songe de Poliphile