Start by marking “The Jamestown Experiment: The Remarkable Story of the Enterprising Colony and the Unexpected Results That Shaped America” as Want to Read:

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  129 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
The American dream was built along the banks of the James River in Virginia.
Published February 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Jamestown Experiment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jamestown Experiment

Candice
This book needs maps!!!! Why do so many people who write historical accounts fail to include maps in their books? My reason for reading the book is that we will be moving to the Jamestown area shortly and I wanted to learn more about the colony. I feel that I learned more about some of the men who became Jamestown's first settlers, including George Yeardley for whom our new street is named. And the colony was not set up by the English government but by a corporation who wanted to see if they cou ...more
Laura LeAnn
May 10, 2013 Laura LeAnn rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Having taught US History, I was interested to know more of the details of the founding of Jamestown and exactly what happened that allowed this colony to become the "first permanent English colony" in what is now the US. I found it a bit difficult to get into this book due to the dry writing style at the very beginning of the book, going through all of the different explorers from various countries that had gone on voyages, their causes, and results from those voyages. While establishing a basis ...more
Amber
Sep 02, 2015 Amber rated it really liked it
Good book, but the last several chapters, it seemed like someone got tired of editing the book and quite a few grammatical and punctuation errors proved distracting.
Lauren Albert
Apr 19, 2011 Lauren Albert rated it liked it
Shelves: history-american
A decent basic history of the events, if sometimes prone to overwrought language.
Rob Hawks
Aug 10, 2013 Rob Hawks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read. Could have benefited from a more exacting editor.
Denise Barney
Jul 18, 2013 Denise Barney rated it really liked it
Mr. William's hypothesis is the virtues that ultimately allowed the Jamestown colony to succeed are those that determined the American character.

Jamestown was founded by investors hoping to find gold and silver, convert the native people to Anglican Christianity, find the Nothwest Passage to Asia and her riches, and to keep the Spanish out of North America. The experiment was an absymal failure. The settlers starved or died of disease. They were indolent. The Natives were most definitely NOT fr
Jen
Jul 07, 2012 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-history
I feel like I may have read two books. One I really liked. And one that was what the author wished he could have written.

One is the very detailed and interesting story of the Jamestown colony. Despite growing up only an hour away, I knew very little about Jamestown. I mean I knew the basics. Englishmen got there, they fought Native Americans, they died a lot. Helps that my high school was in the same county as Matoaca High School (Matoaca--another name for Pocahontas), Monacan (a Native America
Chasity Johnson
Jul 28, 2014 Chasity Johnson rated it really liked it
Provides a detailed history of Jamestown. The author has done a great deal of research so that the reader is provided with a very real vision of what the first inhabitants of Jamestown experienced. The detail is unreal and nothing I remember learning in school. Those that enjoy early American history will find this to be a great addition to their reading list.
Bill P.
Apr 21, 2011 Bill P. rated it really liked it
Williams positions his historical account of the colonization of Jamestown as an experiment in venture capitalism, which it clearly was when considering how the colony was funded completely by private investors who bought shares. But the reader need not worry that this is a dry work of spread sheets, analysis of return on investment or how finacing and banking worked in 1604. Williams presentation of the founding of Jamestown reads like a novel with all the principle characters on both the Engli ...more
Norm Davis
Dec 30, 2011 Norm Davis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: US History buffs
Recommended to Norm by: Kristina Davis
Shelves: history, non-fiction
What struck me first was the Jane Austen vocabulary and 1700s grammar, and manor in a relatively new history book that relies primarily history books from the 2000s. I wonder if it was some goofy editor that wanted a history book that sounded like the era it was being written about. Ok... that bug's of me now without calling the author names.

This is one of recent history books in a quasi story form that would have you remembering the main characters in the history of Jamestown if Williams would
Angie
Sep 05, 2014 Angie rated it really liked it
Interesting historical account. Wish History had been this interesting when I was in school. Parts of it drag along, but I imagine it drug along for those who lived it, as well.
Maryclaire Zampogna
Feb 29, 2012 Maryclaire Zampogna rated it really liked it
This book on Jamestown gives many different reasons for the first failure of the colony. It also examines the reasons all of the people involved were there. The author takes the time to explain the problems of all the settlers who were dependent on the supple ships that never came. The problems within the colony, it's location, climate,illness and the reasons it did finally work in Va. This book also covers more detail about the people of the colony, the Native Americans, and the European involv ...more
Donnie Edgemon
Jul 25, 2011 Donnie Edgemon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although Williams could use a good editor, his research and story-telling are strong in this book. It provides good detail on English exploration in the New World and the first decade and a half or so of the Jamestown colony. Williams makes and supports the hypothesis that Jamestown struggled as a settlement of militaristic rules, and only began to thrive as the powers of self-interest overtook rigid authoritarianism. Regardless of the hypothesis or Williams' compelling case, the book is worthwh ...more
Tom
Nov 02, 2015 Tom rated it really liked it
To my mind the title is much more hopeful and positive than the actual story. It is likely the title looks good in the gift shops around Jamestown and appeals to casual shoppers. The book rightly tells a more sober story of poor planning, bad decisions on location, manpower, supplies and logistics. The story is remarkable in that Jamestown survived. The book presents the facts and the readers are left to draw their own conclusions. It is interesting to me that the English didn't learn from their ...more
Tree
Oct 29, 2014 Tree rated it liked it
Pedantic. Repetitive.
Janice
Sep 26, 2015 Janice rated it really liked it
Very interesting.Detailed account of the Jamestown Settlement that usually is reduced to a few paragraphs. I wish the author would have put a few maps in the book but on the whole I enjoyed it.
Timothy Finucane
May 29, 2011 Timothy Finucane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written account of the founding of the Jamestown colony. The author specifically focuses on the economic side of the business venture and eventually shows how the Virginia company found that liberty, self-governing, and entrepreneurship are what made the colony a success. This read is well worth the time and shows how the very first English colony in America set the tone for what would become the America we know today.
Charolotte
Three and a half stars actually. I enjoy reading history books, but they can be dead dry. This wasn't and I have to give Williams a lot of credit for that.

On the other hand, I'm not fully convinced of his thesis that it was the solely the influence of the early opportunistic capitalists that shaped our country, given that they ran the show for such a short time. But it was still a fascinating read.
Ray
May 23, 2012 Ray rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2012
An interesting topic undermined by the author's academic tone, repetitive phrasing, and predictable need to footnote every paragraph. Nevertheless, I liked the overview of the Jamestown story as well as a glimpse into colonial America's origins. The book did move quickly and was a pleasant read. But if you aren't really into the topic, you might want to avoid this book.
Matthew
Jul 11, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it
This is an excellent history that is about a fascinating topic. The book stops a little short and ends when the Virginia Company loses it's charter and Jamestown becomes a Royal Colony. I would have liked to have seen more into the history of the colony beyond that point. Regardless, the material that the author does tackle is quite interesting.
Kris
May 03, 2011 Kris rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
After reading about Jamestown in the book the Seven Miracles...I decided I wanted to know more!! Very interesting book. Facts taken from journals of explorers and others who were there in Jamestown. It IS a miracle that it actually became a settlement. Many hardships and lots of determination were involved. A good look into our history.
James Stevens
This is a surprising narrative for those who were never taught the full details of the settling of Jamestown. The story is well told, but often disappointing because of how the English behaved. It is an amazing record of survival, often at the cost of both English and Native American lives.
Caroline
Aug 12, 2012 Caroline rated it it was amazing
I agree that the writing isn't the best, but it is a good read as an intelligent and grahpic introduction to new world exploration and the hardships faced by founding Americans.
Deane
Sep 04, 2011 Deane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detail on the first 3-4 years of the Jamestown settlement. Nice summary chapter on the 16th Century English attempts to establish settlements in North America.
Leah
Feb 28, 2015 Leah rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Lots of fascinating information, but not the best writing. I often got lost and confused from the author jumping between subjects. Still, I learned a lot!
Jeff Shackelford
Dec 16, 2012 Jeff Shackelford rated it really liked it
Yes, I learned much, but I feel like there is so much more about the history that could have been included. All in all though, it was a fine read.
Erin Dewan
Jun 25, 2013 Erin Dewan rated it really liked it
This was an amazing book that shed a great deal of insight on the struggles the initial settlers faced and how the events shaped the American Dream.
Sharon
May 15, 2015 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Very good concise account of what happened at Jamestown. It is good introductory material for anyone interested in early American history.
Lori Anderson
I just couldn't finish this. I skimmed some, then put it down. To me, it read more like a text book, which isn't what I wanted. Sorry.
Eric Latham
Jun 20, 2013 Eric Latham rated it it was ok
First few chapters were tough to get through, the voice was unclear, it got better in later chapters.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • "Live from Cape Canaveral": Covering the Space Race, from Sputnik to Today
  • American Uprising: The Untold Story of America's Largest Slave Revolt
  • Every Day by the Sun: A Memoir of the Faulkners of Mississippi
  • Freedom Summer: The Savage Season of 1964 That Made Mississippi Burn and Made America a Democracy
  • The President's House: 1800 to the Present The Secrets and History of the World's Most Famous Home
  • A Brave Vessel: The True Tale of the Castaways Who Rescued Jamestown and Inspired Shakespeare's The Tempest
  • Elizabeth and Hazel: Two Women of Little Rock
  • The Race Beat: The Press, the Civil Rights Struggle, and the Awakening of a Nation
  • Columbus in the Americas
  • Love and Hate in Jamestown: John Smith, Pocahontas, and the Start of a New Nation
  • 1492: The Year the World Began
  • Empires of the Atlantic World: Britain and Spain in America 1492-1830
  • A Little Commonwealth: Family Life in Plymouth Colony
  • Roanoke: Solving the Mystery of the Lost Colony
  • Martin's Hundred
  • The First American Army: The Untold Story of George Washington and the Men Behind America's First Fight for Freedom
  • The Shipwreck That Saved Jamestown: The Sea Venture Castaways and the Fate of America
  • Before the Revolution: America's Ancient Pasts
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. taught history and literature for ten years, and has a Master’s in American History from Ohio State University. He is currently a full-time author who lives in Williamsburg, Virginia, with his wife and children.
More about Tony Williams...