Start by marking “Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing” as Want to Read:
Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing

Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Ubiquitous computing--almost imperceptible, but everywhere around us--is rapidly becoming a reality. How will it change us? how can we shape its emergence?Smart buildings, smart furniture, smart clothing... even smart bathtubs. networked street signs and self-describing soda cans. Gestural interfaces like those seen in "Minority Report." The RFID tags now embedded in every ...more
Published March 20th 2006 by New Riders Publishing (first published March 10th 2006)

Dave Emmett
Sep 02, 2010 Dave Emmett rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Dave by: Sean Filiatrault
This book has a strong focus on the human side of new-fangled technology, which makes it refreshingly different than most books about the subject.

The only thing I didn't like about this book is that the extremely short chapters made the book feel very long. It was almost like reading a series of blog posts about ubiquitous computing, though a series of very well written and carefully ordered blog posts.

As a designer, the last section was the most relevant and interesting, about the ways everywar
Delhi Irc
Location: GIC IRC
Accession no: DL026927
Bashar Kabbani
Nice idea, new thoughts!
Cassandra
This enlightening book actually deserves more than five stars. Funny thing -- I did a search on Goodreads and some people actually gave it one or two stars. Don't know what they were thinking. One of the greatest aspects of the book is that it takes a complex topic (how computers are migrating away from the desktop and becoming integrated into everyday objects, as well as becoming more intuitive to use) and explains it insightfully and in an easy-to-understand fashion. No jargon. No gobbledygook ...more
Steven
Excellent discussion of the origins of ubiquitous computing, current state of the art (as of 2005), where it might be headed and potential issues and design principles. A must-read, not only in terms of ubiquitous computing, but as an examplar of writings on the social use of technology and as a source of potential design principles for Web 2.0 app developers.
Troy
Published in 2006, but I read this in 2013. The most interesting part of this book was to see how far technology has advanced in those 7 years. A very tech-heavy book, but a fascinating read, albeit a bit dated at this point.
Ty
The 'thesis' presentation got on my nerves. It felt jarring, as if I were watching a movie with quick cuts between scenes. Yet that is the only complaint I have. The information and arguments in the book are flawless.
Sonya
I ordered a few "web design" books to inspire my fading interest in web design. This was one of them. I recently started participating in my web design hobby again and will more than likely read it. :)
Jacinta
Seems a curious mix of too-far-ahead and not-caught-up with today. Some good points overall but a little frustrating to read in the 'thesis' presentation.
Charles McCrimmon
Enjoyed the concepts put forward.. some of them are a bit dated now but that was to be expected with the subject matter anyway.
Harald Felgner
Excellent.

Although Adam Greenfield's theses are almost 9 years old, they look at least 5 years into the future!
Gina
Most of the technology Greenfield discussed in this book are coming out and are already in existence now.
Jiri
Great introduction into the ideas of the internet of things and ubiquitous computing.
Sbisker
Checked out from CMU library, in progress...
John
Doug
Nov 27, 2007 Doug marked it as to-read
via:cso
B.S. Swan
B.S. Swan marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Christa
Christa marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Dan J
Dan J added it
Jun 29, 2015
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Cláudio
Cláudio marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Fatima Cuambot
Fatima Cuambot marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Ritwik
Ritwik marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Jon Farber
Jon Farber marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Matthew Barry
Matthew Barry marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Leo Arias
Leo Arias marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Tomasz
Tomasz marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
  • Shaping Things
  • The Battery: How Portable Power Sparked a Technological Revolution
  • Engineers of Dreams: Great Bridge Builders and the Spanning of America
  • Darwin Slept Here: Discovery, Adventure, and Swimming Iguanas in Charles Darwin's South America
  • Strange New Worlds: The Search for Alien Planets and Life Beyond Our Solar System
  • Edison and the Electric Chair: A Story of Light and Death
  • Total Recall: How the E-Memory Revolution Will Change Everything
  • Ecological Intelligence: Rediscovering Ourselves in Nature
  • Fingerprints of God: The Search for the Science of Spirituality
  • Moonshot: The Inside Story of Mankind's Greatest Adventure
  • Beautiful Data: The Stories Behind Elegant Data Solutions (Theory In Practice, #31)
  • FAB: The Coming Revolution on Your Desktop--from Personal Computers to Personal Fabrication
  • Sun in a Bottle: The Strange History of Fusion and the Science of Wishful Thinking
  • In the Bubble: Designing in a Complex World
Against the smart city (The city is here for you to use) Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing, Adobe Reader