Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing

Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Everyware Smart buildings, smart furniture, networked street signs and self-describing soda cans, all of these are facets of ubiquitous computing the author calls "everyware". This work explains how everyware is reshaping our lives, transforming our understanding of the cities we live in, the communities we belong to - and the way we see ourselves. Full description
Published March 10th 2006 by New Riders

Dave Emmett
Sep 02, 2010 Dave Emmett rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Dave by: Sean Filiatrault
This book has a strong focus on the human side of new-fangled technology, which makes it refreshingly different than most books about the subject.

The only thing I didn't like about this book is that the extremely short chapters made the book feel very long. It was almost like reading a series of blog posts about ubiquitous computing, though a series of very well written and carefully ordered blog posts.

As a designer, the last section was the most relevant and interesting, about the ways everywar...more
Cassandra
This enlightening book actually deserves more than five stars. Funny thing -- I did a search on Goodreads and some people actually gave it one or two stars. Don't know what they were thinking. One of the greatest aspects of the book is that it takes a complex topic (how computers are migrating away from the desktop and becoming integrated into everyday objects, as well as becoming more intuitive to use) and explains it insightfully and in an easy-to-understand fashion. No jargon. No gobbledygook...more
Steven
Excellent discussion of the origins of ubiquitous computing, current state of the art (as of 2005), where it might be headed and potential issues and design principles. A must-read, not only in terms of ubiquitous computing, but as an examplar of writings on the social use of technology and as a source of potential design principles for Web 2.0 app developers.
Troy
Published in 2006, but I read this in 2013. The most interesting part of this book was to see how far technology has advanced in those 7 years. A very tech-heavy book, but a fascinating read, albeit a bit dated at this point.
Ty
The 'thesis' presentation got on my nerves. It felt jarring, as if I were watching a movie with quick cuts between scenes. Yet that is the only complaint I have. The information and arguments in the book are flawless.
Sonya
I ordered a few "web design" books to inspire my fading interest in web design. This was one of them. I recently started participating in my web design hobby again and will more than likely read it. :)
Jacinta
Seems a curious mix of too-far-ahead and not-caught-up with today. Some good points overall but a little frustrating to read in the 'thesis' presentation.
Gina
Most of the technology Greenfield discussed in this book are coming out and are already in existence now.
Jiri Jerabek
Great introduction into the ideas of the internet of things and ubiquitous computing.
Sbisker
Checked out from CMU library, in progress...
John
Doug
Nov 27, 2007 Doug marked it as to-read
via:cso
Ryan Jackson
Ryan Jackson marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Tibike Miklós
Tibike Miklós marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Sammy
Sammy marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Hans
Hans marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Craig Swanson
Craig Swanson marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Paul Butcher
Paul Butcher marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
  • Shaping Things
  • Strange New Worlds: The Search for Alien Planets and Life Beyond Our Solar System
  • Darwin's Island: The Galapagos In The Garden Of England
  • Collider: The Search for the World's Smallest Particles
  • Moonshot: The Inside Story of Mankind's Greatest Adventure
  • Fingerprints of God: The Search for the Science of Spirituality
  • Sun in a Bottle: The Strange History of Fusion and the Science of Wishful Thinking
  • Absolutely Small: How Quantum Theory Explains Our Everyday World
  • Complexity: A Guided Tour
  • In the Bubble: Designing in a Complex World
  • The Theory of Almost Everything: The Standard Model, the Unsung Triumph of Modern Physics
  • When Science Goes Wrong: Twelve Tales From the Dark Side of Discovery
  • Total Recall: How the E-Memory Revolution Will Change Everything
  • The Shape of Inner Space: String Theory and the Geometry of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions
  • FAB: The Coming Revolution on Your Desktop--from Personal Computers to Personal Fabrication
  • The Great Disruption: Why the Climate Crisis Will Bring On the End of Shopping and the Birth of a New World
  • Why Can't Elephants Jump?: And 101 Other Tantalising Science Questions
  • Tropic of Chaos: Climate Change and the New Geography of Violence
Against the smart city (The city is here for you to use) Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing, Adobe Reader