Start by marking “Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing” as Want to Read:
Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing

Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  220 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Ubiquitous computing--almost imperceptible, but everywhere around us--is rapidly becoming a reality. How will it change us? how can we shape its emergence? Smart buildings, smart furniture, smart clothing... even smart bathtubs. networked street signs and self-describing soda cans. Gestural interfaces like those seen in "Minority Report." The RFID tags now embedded in ever ...more
Published March 20th 2006 by New Riders Publishing (first published March 10th 2006)

Dave Emmett
Sep 02, 2010 Dave Emmett rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Dave by: Sean Filiatrault
This book has a strong focus on the human side of new-fangled technology, which makes it refreshingly different than most books about the subject.

The only thing I didn't like about this book is that the extremely short chapters made the book feel very long. It was almost like reading a series of blog posts about ubiquitous computing, though a series of very well written and carefully ordered blog posts.

As a designer, the last section was the most relevant and interesting, about the ways everywar
Delhi Irc
Location: GIC IRC
Accession no: DL026927
Bashar Kabbani
Nov 09, 2014 Bashar Kabbani rated it really liked it
Nice idea, new thoughts!
Cassandra
Feb 23, 2008 Cassandra rated it it was amazing
This enlightening book actually deserves more than five stars. Funny thing -- I did a search on Goodreads and some people actually gave it one or two stars. Don't know what they were thinking. One of the greatest aspects of the book is that it takes a complex topic (how computers are migrating away from the desktop and becoming integrated into everyday objects, as well as becoming more intuitive to use) and explains it insightfully and in an easy-to-understand fashion. No jargon. No gobbledygook ...more
Steven
Nov 15, 2014 Steven rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Excellent discussion of the origins of ubiquitous computing, current state of the art (as of 2005), where it might be headed and potential issues and design principles. A must-read, not only in terms of ubiquitous computing, but as an examplar of writings on the social use of technology and as a source of potential design principles for Web 2.0 app developers.
Troy
Nov 23, 2013 Troy rated it liked it
Shelves: science
Published in 2006, but I read this in 2013. The most interesting part of this book was to see how far technology has advanced in those 7 years. A very tech-heavy book, but a fascinating read, albeit a bit dated at this point.
Ty
Jul 25, 2015 Ty rated it really liked it
Shelves: ux
The 'thesis' presentation got on my nerves. It felt jarring, as if I were watching a movie with quick cuts between scenes. Yet that is the only complaint I have. The information and arguments in the book are flawless.
Sonya
I ordered a few "web design" books to inspire my fading interest in web design. This was one of them. I recently started participating in my web design hobby again and will more than likely read it. :)
Jacinta
Nov 24, 2009 Jacinta rated it it was ok
Shelves: ix, software
Seems a curious mix of too-far-ahead and not-caught-up with today. Some good points overall but a little frustrating to read in the 'thesis' presentation.
Charles McCrimmon
Aug 12, 2014 Charles McCrimmon rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the concepts put forward.. some of them are a bit dated now but that was to be expected with the subject matter anyway.
Harald Felgner
Feb 28, 2016 Harald Felgner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Excellent.

Although Adam Greenfield's theses are almost 9 years old, they look at least 5 years into the future!
Gina
Jan 02, 2011 Gina rated it really liked it
Most of the technology Greenfield discussed in this book are coming out and are already in existence now.
Jiri
Jan 29, 2013 Jiri rated it really liked it
Great introduction into the ideas of the internet of things and ubiquitous computing.
Sbisker
Checked out from CMU library, in progress...
John
Doug
Nov 27, 2007 Doug marked it as to-read
via:cso
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Sooz888
Sooz888 marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Pantelis
Pantelis marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Virginia Stefanello
Virginia Stefanello marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Reuben
Reuben marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Henry
Henry is currently reading it
May 04, 2016
Matthew Jarvis
Matthew Jarvis marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
  • Shaping Things
  • Edison and the Electric Chair: A Story of Light and Death
  • The Battery: How Portable Power Sparked a Technological Revolution
  • Smart Things: Ubiquitous Computing User Experience Design
  • The Fallen Sky: An Intimate History of Shooting Stars
  • Darwin Slept Here: Discovery, Adventure, and Swimming Iguanas in Charles Darwin's South America
  • Engineers of Dreams: Great Bridge Builders and the Spanning of America
  • Ecological Intelligence: Rediscovering Ourselves in Nature
  • Darwin's Island: The Galapagos in the Garden of England
  • Moonshot: The Inside Story of Mankind's Greatest Adventure
  • Collider: The Search for the World's Smallest Particles
  • Fingerprints of God: The Search for the Science of Spirituality
  • Absolutely Small: How Quantum Theory Explains Our Everyday World
  • The Theory of Almost Everything: The Standard Model, the Unsung Triumph of Modern Physics
  • Sun in a Bottle: The Strange History of Fusion and the Science of Wishful Thinking
  • Strange New Worlds: The Search for Alien Planets and Life Beyond Our Solar System
  • A World Without Ice
  • The Shape of Inner Space: String Theory and the Geometry of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »