Start by marking “Binding Vows (MacCoinnich Time Travel Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Binding Vows (MacCoinnich Time Travel Trilogy, #1)

Binding Vows (MacCoinnich Time Travels #1)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  1,858 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
Duncan MacCoinnich's task? Travel to the twenty-first century Renaissance Faire, deflower the Druid virgins, and go home. Only his job is not so easily accomplished with the virgin in question, Tara McAllister. Time is running out. The evil is closing in on them both. Tara finds Duncan irresistible after what was supposed to be a mock Hand-fasting binds them. When Duncan w ...more
Nook, Nook
Published December 21st 2009 by The Wild Rose Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Binding Vows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Binding Vows

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
5 “I’m a virgin, come and get it.” Stars

*Some Spoilers*

photo binding vows 1_zpsqlpaohtz.gif

“You have got to be kidding! You were sent to deflower the virgins?”

My God I love this book!!!!! What do you get when you take Scottish Warriors from the sixteenth century, a evil witch, a modern 25 year old virgin, a accidental soul binding marriage, and time travel? A freakin Hit that is what you get! OMG!!!!

“Go, pop that cherry for God’s sake.”

photo binding vows 11_zps5j93cfdn.jpg

“You have flooded my mind every moment from the minute I sat on you.”

What this book is about
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
A Badass Hidden Gem...

My obsession with time traveling to Scotland continues. Why must I go to Scotland? Duh, the men in kilts and their Scottish brogue of course! There is a tall red headed Scot I am in love with from an unnamed series. Any other kilt wearing Scot has a lot to compete with.

Duncan MacCoinnich managed to make me forget about oh-what’s-his-name! First, Duncan is hot. 2nd, Duncan is a gentleman, 3rd, he is hot. Did you really think I cared ab
Vashti
Jul 07, 2015 Vashti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A huge thanks to my Goodreads friend Jessica for bringing this author and series to my attention.This was a sweet time travel romance set in the 1500's Scotland.Great cadt of characters and looking forward to the rest of this series.
Kate's Corner in JB Attic
Sensational Book! Such a hidden Gem. 6 Stars

This is my first historical/Scottish romance and I loved it. It starts off in our time where Tara is off with her best friend Casey to Ren Faire because Casey has a motto YOYO (You only live once)
Tara is not impressed and this is where it for me gets interesting. Duncan what a hunk of a Highlander and every girls wet dream.
Duncan has travelled with his brother Fin from 16th Century to the faire as their job is to deflower all the virgins there. As M
Belkis
This was really good and I'm so happy because Catherine Bybee continues to write great stories! I'm definitely continuing this series. Love historical romance, time travel, and druid paranormal stories. So this one having all three and being well written, win, win, win!
Nadine
I didn't expect a masterpiece of a novel when starting this one, Just some sexy story including time traveling and some fun along the way. But this was just... bad! Luckily so bad it turned fun in the end.
But let me tell you about the story first. There is our wonderful heroine, 25 year old virgin who is dragged by her friend to a Rennaissance Fair where some witch detects her as a virgin at first glance and singles her out to live as a princess at the fair while the winner of some faux fighting
Miranda
 photo whaa_zpsonim78rs.gif

DNF....

I tried. I really, really did. I couldn't stand this book. The heroine got under my skin faster than any heroine has before. Not only that, but the chemistry between the hero and heroine was awful. Watching paint dry would've been more entertaining.

There aren't many books that I give up on. This one was added to my list. Maybe I'll give it another try one day. Just not anytime soon.

I'm giving it two stars because at least the cover was yummy to look at.
TJ
Feb 17, 2010 TJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-romance
I was a little wary at the beginning of this story. The heroine, Tara, with her bad attitude and expletive laced vocabulary, just wasn't a sympathetic character for me. By the time she settled into Scotland, however, she shaped up, lost her bad attitude and her bad language and I had a rollicking good time reading! Filled with Druid magic, wonderful romance and a little suspense, this book is great for a day when reality stinks and escape is the remedy. For those who only like the love "clean" t ...more
Kathrynn
Not for me. Sorry. Made it to page 100 and could not stand the heroine. At all. She was too bratty, snotty and tried too hard to let everyone know around her that she didn't like her "vacation." Enough already.

Felt the writing needed polishing as it didn't flow well. Don't know if it was just in the Nook version, but scenes changed with no warning or extra white space signalling such a change.

Not for me.
Carolyn
Jan 18, 2011 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bybee-catherine
If you like Scottish time travel romances with Druid magic, you will love this book. It is a fun, quick read and very enjoyable. I am delighted to discover this author and have already purchased the next two books in this series.
Becky
Feb 15, 2016 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story, I love time travel books, especially when it involves highlanders. The characters were wonderful too. I look forward to reading Fin's story.
Marlene
Jan 29, 2013 Marlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

Time travel romances are always much more interesting when they gloss over the means by which the time travel happens and skip straight to the part where the characters deal with the effects of the time travel.

Time travel generally strains the willing suspension of disbelief. The more an author tries to explain something that is inexplicable, the more it generally takes me out of the story. Time travel is magic, or close enough. I want to move on and read a
Fiona Druce
Jul 13, 2012 Fiona Druce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults
Shelves: favs
Let me begin by saying that I found Catherine Bybee by chance, when I read her book, Married by Monday. Luck was truly on my side with that purchase. The author’s ability to fashion and create believable characters has held up through three books and I’m already starting the next in this trilogy.

The story begins with Tara McAllister, a 25 year old virgin in the 21st Century, attending a Ren Faire with her best friend. Unbeknownst to either, the Faire’s Gypsy Queen has ulterior motives and none o
Kat ~ Forever Book Lover ♥
May 21, 2012 Kat ~ Forever Book Lover ♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: blacktulip,
Shelves: highlander
You can find this entire review at Forever Bok Lover

I recently read the Highland Shifter and fell in love with the entire MacCoinnich's family. I knew that I wanted to go back and read the entire trilogy and fall in love with them all over again.

The first book in the series is Duncan and Tara's story. I loved the uniqueness of it, it was a quite refreshing. It was not the same old same thing time traveler story. I am ranking the entire series as a must read!! This book has it all- romance, steam
Holjo
Nov 28, 2011 Holjo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rated 4.5/5

Summary: Tara McAllister has been dragged on another crazy adventure by her best friend. This time, Cassy has convinced her to participate in a weekend Renaissance Faire. They are expected to dress in costume the whole weekend, while experiencing life without technology or modern conveniences.

Unfortunately, the festival is not what it seems. The host of the event, Grainna (aka Madame Gwen), is using the faire as a ruse to locate young girls with Druid blood. Gwen is actually a former
jD
I know everyone pushing Highlander novels can't be Karen Marie Moning (The Immortal Highlander) or Brenda Joyce Dark Embrace (Rose Trilogy, #1)) but can somebody get close?

I am so tired of these Highlander series serving hamburger instead of steak. Is it that difficult to write a brogue? Is the Druid mythology that complex? I don't know what is up with this Highlander 'lite' crap but it's really getting on my last nerve.

Now about this one, it's not bad and it's not the worst blend of hamburger I
Brizzielady
Jun 19, 2011 Brizzielady rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had sincere concerns when I first started this book.... I was worried that it was going to be an Outlander rip-off, and I was put off by the quality of the actual book and print type itself.

Well, cut to this morning at 3:30am when I had to force myself to put the book down in order to be able to wake up by 7:30am (yeah, I'm hurting now). I just finished it 5 minutes ago and am going to run upstairs to grab Book 2. I loved it! The only similarities are the scottish time travel aspect of the boo
Night Goddess
I just finished Binding Vows, I can't say it was one of my favorites but it was not terrible either. There were some aspects I enjoyed, the Highlanders and of course, time travel. The overall storyline was not bad but the book was lacking something I can't quite put my finger on. I did go back and forth between ebook and audiobook format and the one thing that I ABSOLUTELY HATED was the fact that the entire story was narrated by a man. Which would have been fine except that his female impersonat ...more
Paige
May 04, 2012 Paige rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
If you like Scottish romance, you will LOVE this entire series. I usually read contemporaries but after reading WIFE BY WEDNESDAY (and loving it), I decided I wanted to read more from this author.
I have read the first 3 books in this series so far and I can't wait to get to book 4. After reading them, I have to say, Catherine Bybee is now one of my favorite authors and will be on my auto buy list.
I am anxiously awaiting book 2 in her Weekday Bride Series coming in June 2012 and can't wait to h
Elaine
May 02, 2011 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was ready for a good book today and I think I have found it. I wonder if this author is very well known due to a lack of reviews since it was written. I have read 37% based on my Kindle. So far, I love this book! It does involve time travel, so if you don't like TT you might not like this. As in the Diana Gabaldon books the travel is through a circle of stones. Right now I am thoroughly enjoying this story!

Loved this book! 5+++ I have already purchased the rest of the series! Great new author
Jessica
Apr 11, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow I really loved this book. Tara's character is really relatable which helps draw you into the story immediately. The time travel aspect was handled nicely and I loved how Tara had to come to terms with 16th century Scotland. Her thoughts and actions felt appropriate and real. I loved how Duncan and Fin had to keep up with modern idioms. I would definitely recommend to those who loved Karen Marie Moning's Highlander series as well as anyone who loves time-travel/Highlander romance.
Pj Nusbaum
Nov 19, 2013 Pj Nusbaum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW this was a great book. This is my first highlander book an I am hooked. I recommend this to everyone one. It has a little something for everyone. Magic , time travel, Romance. Duncan an Tera are from two different times. Duncan an his brother are at a Renaissance Faire. Duncan is on a mission to save young virgins from evil. Tera is there with a friend to have some fun. Read to find out what happens to them all.
Tara Stone
Mar 29, 2012 Tara Stone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me, kindle, and the beach..finished it with the sand betwixt my toes on a small island near Savannah...Luv, luv, luv this story, going to purchase the 2nd book in the trilogy now:)Cant wait!!!
Kelley
Oct 25, 2012 Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not expect to like this...but...I was wrong!! I really enjoyed the story and especially the combination of modern and history. Well done!!!
Robyn Buxton-noonan
LOVE this story!
C. Erani Kole
Nov 13, 2013 C. Erani Kole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The BookChick
When I started reading romance fiction a few years ago, Highland romance came second only to romantic suspense. I gobbled up every Highland romance I could find and fell in love with the likes of Karen Marie Moning's Highland series because it had a perfect mixture of magic and intrigue and the past meeting the present. Sadly, I don't read many books in this genre anymore but I still enjoy them a great deal. Today I decided I wanted such a read. Scouring Amazon yielded LOTS of Highland romances ...more
Raina {The LUV'NV}
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

Binding Vows was a wonderful surprise, mixing classic Historical Romance and Fantasy. Time travel occurs into both the future and the past, from Scotland and Southern California. Druids are found at every turn and have an old-age war with witches.

The female protagonist, Tara, has attitude and major backbone for a fragile virgin, whereas Duncan may be formed like a solid rock and can expertly wield a sword but has a tender heart. I adored their interaction. They were
Erica
Feb 05, 2013 Erica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highlanders and time travel is always a good time. AWESOME!!!!

This was great got the recommendation from Gravetells and throught I'd give it a go.

The Catherine Bybee tells and amusing and refreshing story one with love, honour, time travel and action in the sheets and out of them, a supernatural romance with a killer evil witch.

This is the first part in a trilogy series, this is Duncan's and Tara's story and its a good one.

First off this is the first trilogy ive read that has an epilogue so that
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
STORYTELLING AT ITS BEST!!

I thoroughly enjoyed "Binding Vows" by Catherine Bybee. I am always looking for my Outlander fix and this story Did Not Disappoint me. Binding Vows is very will constructed story of time travel, romance and and evil Druid Witch. The story does glean scenes from Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, but it has done a great job making its own mark. Maybe even a better job in developing the time travel story. The characters are rich and colorful, The H/H are written perfectly
  • Highland Destiny (Magic of the Highlands, #1)
  • Awaken the Highland Warrior (Connor Clan, #1)
  • Highlander's Challenge (Challenge, #1)
  • Destiny's Denial (MacLomain, #2)
  • Lord of the Highlands (Highlands, #4)
  • Lord of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #1)
  • Warrior's Redemption (Warrior, #1)
  • A Laird for all Time
  • Highland Fires (Druid's Glen, #4)
  • The Return of Black Douglas (Black Douglas, #2)
  • Everything in Its Time (Time After Time #1)
New York Times Bestselling Author

Silent Vows

Finalist RT Award in Contemporary Romance
Fiance by Friday

New York Times
More about Catherine Bybee...

MacCoinnich Time Travels (5 books)
  • Silent Vows (MacCoinnich Time Travel Trilogy, #2)
  • Redeeming Vows (MacCoinnich Time Travel Trilogy, #3)
  • Highland Shifter (MacCoinnich Time Travels, #4)
  • Highland Protector (MacCoinnich Time Travels, #5)

“What's under the kilt?"
His smile teased. "Need.”
14 likes