Start by marking “Trouble” as Want to Read:
Trouble

Trouble

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  1,316 ratings  ·  142 reviews
Jesse Kellerman's debut thriller wowed the critics. His latest sets the bar even higher.

Young, idealistic, and overworked, Jonah is living the lonely life of a medical student in New York City when he accidentally stumbles across a murder in progress: a woman, being stabbed to death in the middle of the sidewalk. Without thinking, he rushes in to protect her-inadvertentl
Published January 18th 2007 by Putnam Adult (first published January 1st 2007)

Jane
Can I give no stars??...........oh go on I will give one * purely because Jesse managed to sit and write 60,000 words in some form of order even if that order wasn't to my liking!!

Where to start? well I don't like metaphor's and simile's but this author clearly does, I don't mind the odd one but this book seemed full of them and it totally distracts me from the story and good grief how much description do we need?? It was waffle waffle waffle from start to finish.

The story was quite disturbing a
Keith
Love can take many forms in one’s life, growing and evolving as time passes into something far better and brighter than anything we might have hoped for, or it can warp into something far more twisted, pervasive and corrosive than anyone could ever imagine. Jonah Stem, a bright young medical student saves the life of Eve, a beautiful and talented young New Yorker apparently attacked by a brutal molester. Eve’s gratitude is so intense and complete that Jonah hopes for the former but begins to sus ...more
Rachel
I was very disappointed in this book. I love the books by his parents Jonathan and Faye Kellerman, and I enjoyed Jesse's other novel Sunstroke. That one had realistic characters. But this book was just absurd beyond belief. The villainess of the book was too preposterous for words, and there was no explanation for why she was this way. When I read about a sick, twisted character I want some sort of explanation for why they turned out that way. In real life when someone is that sick and twisted i ...more
Jess
Having read both of his parents books (Jonathan and Faye Kellerman), I enjoyed the completely "his own" style of writing that Jesse Kellerman has.
Although I could see that Eve was "trouble" from a mile away, I kept reading because I wanted to know why. One thing I didn't enjoy: Jonah, the main character, is a med student. Got it. So much time is spent following him around the med school and spouting off all the medical jargon, and it has nothing to do with the rest of the story. We get it, he's
Marilyn
I had mixed feelings about this thriller. I was interested in checking out the second generation Kellerman novelist. He has a different style than his author parents -- one that is more cryptic and certainly one that is more scary which is saying a lot because Jonathan can keep you on the edge, but with more finesse. I found myself mesmerized, but I also found the story a bit too unbelievable and creepy for comfort. I was consistently annoyed by the wimpy medical student who was too nice to take ...more
Margaret
Jesse Kellerman is a very good writer and doesn't shy away from the bizarre. His plotting and characters remind me of Ruth Rendell - someone is always very twisted. This book doesn't do Mr. Kellerman justice, however. Yes, there's a very twisted, interesting character, but the main character, a 26-year old medical student (so presumably bright, unless medical schools have become so desperate as to enroll complete dimwits), is such an idiot that it was hard to listen to this one. Certainly his pr ...more
Beverly
Above average thriller which won't be to a lot of tastes because it is dark and creepy. A Fatal Attraction type of plot about a decent young medical student who becomes involved with the woman whose life he saved during a street assault, killing the assailant in the process. Of course nothing is as it seems.

The story is somewhat over the top in gross creepiness and some of the plot is improbable, but I love Jesse Kellerman's writing which is thick and baroque compared to that of his parents' and
Pa
Sep 25, 2008 Pa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in suspense and in medical student training
A pretty good read. I would actually give this somewhere between a 3.5 and a 4.
The tale of a medical student who saves a young woman who has been stabbed. In the process, the assailant ends up dead. "Superdoc" goes from being a hero to the realization that he is in no end of "trouble", starting with a lawsuit from relatives of the dead attacker and escalating when he connects with the stabbing victim.
Pretty good character development and also a good description of life as a medical student in a
Kevin Pickett
This book kept my attention, but seemed like there was way too much fluff in it. I kept finding myself scanning ahead through rhetoric to get to the point of what was being said. The story wasn't bad. There's a lot of language in it. The "C" word is even in it. I can't even remember a book I've read with that in it.

Anyway, I was glad to get through this one and move onward with my life. I don't regret reading it, but am glad it is done.
Kite
This book was creepy and troubling but a really intense read! I can understand why some people may not appreciate the jargon of him being med student, but I thought it helped ground the book very well. You can't expect a med student to only relate his crazy relationship with the psycho lady. And it also explained how he didn't really delve into how Eve developed this crazy mentality. He's not a psychologist; he's just a med student that got caught up in a bad way.

I do wish he would have probed m
Kristin
I listened to this book at work and I really was not to thrilled with it. Jonah Stem is a medical student and a lot of the story is just a lot of medical terms and gross hospital experiences. He saves a woman who is absolutly crazy. They have a love affair, she goes all whacko and he tries to get rid of her. The ending was a little crazy as well. Over all, some of the twists kept me reading but it was not a book that I would read again.
DWGibb
Here's a hapless medical student who intercedes in an assault against a woman on the street and kills the assailant. Though perceived as a hero, his world becomes a virtual self-induced prison, especially when the woman he saved becomes an inescapably entwined with his life.

I had a love/hate relationship with this story. It is fascinating, but troubling. It made me uncomfortable, but I couldn't leave it.
Francine
I stayed up until 2 a.m. reading this book! Reluctant hero Joshua Stem is being stalked by the woman whose life he saves in a way that makes Glenn Close in "Fatal Attraction" look like a Care Bear. Terrifying, compelling. I'm glad real life isn't like this. It isn't, right?
Michele
Daphne Atkeson
top-drawer psychological thriller. Five star books are those I can't wait to get back to or am tempted to leave my writing to read more of. This qualifies. Plus, tremendous voice, eminently readable and interesting.
Kara Ripley
It was very entertaining. I really enjoyed the characters and I couldn't believe how crazy it got, all of a sudden. I guess you never really know who anyone is.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
I don't know why it took me 3 days to finish this book. I must admit I put this book down alot so it would last longer. A major WTF kind of book.
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Jason Stem, medical student
SETTING: New York City
SERIES: #2 of 2
RATING: 3.5

When you try to roll back a horrible event to its beginning, chances are that things started out innocently enough. Jonah Stem is a lowly medical student in New York City who is assisting during an operation when the patient's innards end up where they shouldn't be and ruin his shoes. It's 3 am, but of course you can buy a new pair of shoes in the City That Never Sleeps. What you don't expect to happen is to
Kathleen Hagen
Trouble, by Jesse Kellerman. B. Read by Scott Brick, produced by Penguin Audio and downloaded from audible.com.

This book had the makings of a good thriller but it felt to me as if Kellerman couldn’t figure a way to get his protagonist out of the corner he boxed himself in, so he created an ending which accomplished that, but wasn’t very satisfying.

Here we meet Jonah Stem, a medical student. We learn that his last name is Stem because officials on Ellis Island mis-spelled his family name, which
Steve
I loved the original writing style in this book, although I found the lack of question marks at the ends of questions to be a bit distracting. The story was definitely a page-turner for me. It became introspective when the protagonist found himself watching a video of an event he was involved with and realized that his memory of the event differed pretty drastically from what he was seeing in the recording, and I found that to be pretty insightful given the circumstances surrounding the event. S ...more
Ed
Finalist 2008 Thriller Award for Best Novel. Thriller by author Jesse Kellerman, son of authors Faye and Jonathan Kellerman.

Thriller - Medical student Jonah Stem intervenes in a homicidal attack on a deserted Manhattan street. He inadvertently kills the attacker (and is sued by the surviving family). He is written up as a hero in the papers. Eve Gones, the knifing victim, shows up on his doorstep and before long they have an intimate relationship that she refuses to stop.
Lenaz Shexmamundi
If you are searching for a book to read and finish early , then this is the book you are saerching for. tHE PAGES FLY. I think Killerman could have done it better for it gets intrested slowly and when it does the chapter ends. And he could definitely come up with a better ending. He quite much killed the whole thing by ending it in only two pages.
Heather
A fun-but-dumb read. All about a young med student who saves a woman being stabbed in an alley. She winds up coming to him and they have a passionate love affair. But quickly, trouble starts brewing in all aspect of our hero's life! I know the plot twists were meant to be surprising, but they weren't. And I am a person who is terrible at guessing the outcome of stories and movies. So, that really says something. Nevertheless, I found it entertaining and disturbing enough to finish quickly. Also, ...more
Dora Okeyo
'Jonah Stem heard a scream.'
This starts out well, and I was looking forward to reading more of what happened. Then I found it quite nice that people noticed him for his heroic act, then comes Eve, and suddenly he's doing everything to please her, and then feels as though he's being used again.
It's a good story, it's got a great plot, but I will have to say that the pace and descriptions were quite a let down. It has too many descriptions, and this makes time stand still as you get bored by det
Eric Matheny
Amazing! Great take on the femme fatal theme. Kellerman is an outstanding wordsmith, painting a vividly terrifying picture of a relationship gone horribly wrong.
Jeannette
A bit hard to read at times. Disjointed and the ending is sadly lacking in completion. Hoping that a different storyline by this author will be a better read.
Kevin Bresnahan
"Trouble" is certainly so for Jonah Stem. A NYU medical student, he saves a woman from the wrath of her attacker late one night. Jonah is considered a hero, but it devolves into something much different: the victim's family wants revenge, and the woman he saved wants him for eternity. She is quite wicked. She is a femme fatale in many ways. Many parts of this novel seemed to enter Dean Koontz territory (more horror / graphic than I like) and it seemed a bit slow moving at times. However, the cli ...more
Listener
Nice twists and turns in another solid reading performance by Scott Brick.
Susan Ashmore
Found it hard to put this down. Very claustrophobic but gripping!
  • The Garden of Eden and Other Criminal Delights
  • Risky Business
  • Innocence
  • True Detectives
  • Chain of Evidence (Inspector Challis, #4)
  • Dead Before Dying
  • Blood Lies
  • Beside The Ocean Of Time
  • Hunter's Moon (Doc Ford, #14)
  • Acts of Nature (Max Freeman, #5)
  • Legally Dead
  • The Fruit of Her Hands: The Story of Shira of Ashkenaz
  • While Other People Sleep
Jesse Kellerman was born in Los Angeles in 1978. His award-winning plays have been produced throughout the United States and at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. Most recently, he received the Princess Grace Award, given to America’s most promising young playwright. He lives with his wife in New York City.

More about Jesse Kellerman...
The Genius Sunstroke The Executor Potboiler Les Visages