The Lake at the End of the World

The Lake at the End of the World

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In 2025, in the wake of global environmental devastation, the members of one surviving family encounter a teenaged boy from a mysterious clandestine community.
Published 1989 by Dial (first published 1988)

Armina
Nov 20, 2013 Armina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Armina by: Nastaran
« تنها بشر کلمه ی زیبایی را می داند و تنها بشر است که آنچه را زیبا می داند، نابود می کند.»
Sharon
A story of two very different people living two very different lives, in a world forever

changed by greed and pollution. This delightful story is told from the perspective of Diana and

Hector.

Diana lives with her mother and crippled father and Hector lives with a community underground

and when they meet their lives are forever changed. All the while the lake plays it's roll with

all of them. I really enjoyed reading this book even though it is aimed at a younger age

bracket i found i enjoyed every mo...more
Lumi
Apr 12, 2011 Lumi rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like dystopian YA novels with themes of survival, environmentalism and friendship
I've been racking my brains for days trying to remember the name of this book! No wonder it was difficult to find, it's an Australian book from the 80s. I read it in the 90s so all I could remember was something about a boy living in an underground cave system and then living in the forbidden aboveground, having to face challenges like weak eyesight and easily sunburnt skin. I vaguely remember him befriending a girl and possibly helping a sick person. My faulty memory wants to tell me it was an...more
Mel
This book was read to me as a child in school by my teacher. I loved it so much that I attribute it as being the reason I now love SFF. I met Caroline MacDonald later when I was in high school and got the opportunity to thank her for her book and it meant a lot to me.
Discoverylover
"The year is 2025. When Hector ventures out from the underground community that has been isolated for over half a century, he doesn't know what awaits him. He certainly doesn't expect to find any survivors above ground. But then he meets Diana ... This is an exciting and challenging story of a developing relationship in a fragile world." (http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/eng...)

A relatively good book for teens by an author I haven't read before. Begging for a sequel! Ok beginning, the middle wa...more
Kay - Lee
This book I read at school and want to reread it so I bought it. I enjoyed rereading it as much as I enjoyed reading it the first time. It's a good book.
Anne Dean
Fantastic story. I read it in primary school (more than 20 years ago). Never forgotten it, and am now suggesting it to my 8 year old son.
Emma Shortt
I read this yolks ago and had a re-read, glad I did!
Adrian
Loved this book when I read it as a 15 year old!
Adrian
I read this when I was about 15 and loved it.
Lisa
Penny
Penny added it
Apr 17, 2014
Lila Lyon
Lila Lyon marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Leigh
Leigh added it
Mar 30, 2014
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014