Start by marking “Jerusalem Interlude (Zion Covenant, #4)” as Want to Read:
Jerusalem Interlude (Zion Covenant, #4)

Jerusalem Interlude (Zion Covenant #4)

4.35  ·  Rating Details ·  3,642 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
In August 1938 Hitler’s Brownshirts conquer Czechoslovakia. German Jews are deported in cattle cars to Poland, the country of earlier pograms. Other Jews flee to Palestine, the Promised Land of their dreams . . . only to be imprisoned behind barbed wire upon their arrival. Musicians Shimon and Leah Feldstein, two of the “lucky ones,” are allowed to disembark from their rus ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published October 31st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Jerusalem Interlude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jerusalem Interlude

Evangheline Farcas
Feb 08, 2012 Evangheline Farcas rated it it was amazing
Jerusalem Interlude continues the sad history set to fiction. It captivates you as always, as the previous books did from the very beginning. Characters that have been with us since the first book like Elise and Murphey, Leah and Shimon, Anna and Theo continue to brave this dark world Hitler brought. New characters are introduced that are vital and show the schemes that Hitler put into play to reach his dark agenda. My favorite characters in this book are Eli Sachar and Victoria Hassan. They are ...more
Jen
Mar 12, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
This is number four in a series of six. The more I read of this series the more I am in awe of the amount of research that had to be done to create these books. I have read many WWII novels but nothing that encompasses the range of these. Gives me a whole new perspective of the politics going on in Europe before the war.
James Burns
Jun 03, 2016 James Burns rated it it was amazing
Jerusalem Interlude is the 4th Book in the Zion covenant series. I also thought it started slow, Introducing new characters and re-acquainting with prior characters. Elisa and Murphy the predominant story-line in the prior 3 books, are playing a very minimum role, while Leah and Shimon are the main story-line starting after their move to Palestine . Rabbi Lebowitz in Palestine Is trying to get papers for his daughter and son-in-law and their family to move from Poland to Palestine. Theo, Elisa's ...more
Natalie Vellacott
Oct 31, 2014 Natalie Vellacott rated it really liked it
I love this series. It really captures the reign of terror in Nazi Germany and the effect on individuals from all walks of life. The books are well researched and historically accurate. You will find them hard to put down so make sure you have enough money to buy the whole series before you start! Recommended..
Jolene
Mar 19, 2013 Jolene rated it it was amazing
Amazing series. So well researched and well written. I'm convinced that Bodie and Brock are the perfect team for writing books. It has everything that I love (music and European history) all in one. This series also just gets better with every book! Highly recommended.
AlixJamie
Jun 12, 2010 AlixJamie rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story of Eli and Victoria that was portrayed in this book, Leah and Shimon interested me as well, but, as with all Thoene books, there is at least one character with whom I just can't relate.
Carmen
Jan 25, 2013 Carmen rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book, sad but held my interest all the way. I would recommend this series of books for history and enjoyment. I hope that part of history is never repeated again.
Karen
Jun 13, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
Lovely to read the background of characters I was familiar with from the Thoenes' other series. Well written and page-turner, as usual.
Sierra
Mar 17, 2017 Sierra rated it liked it
Honestly, I'm getting a little tired of this series. I received the first six books from my library which was getting rid of them, but the story doesn't seem to be progressing. Maybe I'll pick them back up later.
Beth
Very intense and emotional. Centered around a secret love of 2 young people from very different worlds who happen to be on opposing sides as the lines are drawn in 1940's Jerusalem. The plight of the Jewish people during that time period involve a Rabbi, several families and the Jewish Community, as well as the Muslim Community whose growing hatred is heightened when the two lovers are found out. Includes stories from Poland and Germany and right into the heart of Jerusalem at a perilous time in ...more
Sally
Gloria
Nov 30, 2013 Gloria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical fiction fans; people interested in World War II
Missy Lamb
Feb 07, 2017 Missy Lamb rated it really liked it
Pretty good, but I didn't love that it veered away from the main characters in books 1-3. Too many new characters were introduced, and honestly, I had a hard time keeping them all straight. I'll keep going with this series though, because it sticks close to the facts of WWII, and is beautifully written.
Oct 14, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Overall I'm still enjoying the story and characters and learning more about the events leading up to WWII. However, I found this book even more painful in some ways; I think mainly because the entire ending consisted of a horrifying Romeo-and-Juliet-like situation. It was both painful and frustrating because I felt the characters were making stupid choices and I wished I could talk some sense into them. Additionally, the Christian aspect was a little more dominant in this book, which got old aft ...more
Kathleen
Oct 31, 2008 Kathleen rated it liked it
This is, as the other volumes have been, well styled. It helps the reader to feel the stress and anxiety of living in the days of World War II. This volume lapses into a Christian preaching mode more than the others which is distracting. The authors presuppose that only Christians have the inside track to God's love and protection. That is annoying because it is not true. The book does, however, make interesting insights into how men learn to deal with injustice and keep faith in God. On to Volu ...more
Ashley Perham
Apr 14, 2015 Ashley Perham rated it really liked it
Personally, I don't really enjoy books set in Jerusalem basically because I hear about it a lot. However, once I got into this book, I really enjoyed it. The story with Eli and Victoria really made me think a lot. Also, I can't wait to continue Aaron and Rachel's subplot. Leah and Shimon are joys to read about. Also, the Rabbi was a dear! I really enjoyed Eli's conversion. This book was great in the fact that it made me think! However, it's not my favorite in the series so far.
Hannah
Aug 26, 2016 Hannah rated it really liked it
Wow. I don't really know how to rate this book. It has some very horrific stories that just make you sick and my mom took out the graphic parts, but the writing style is just amazing and I really love all the stories. Such amazing writing! Learning about the time period has been hard yet really neat as well. These books are amazing I just would recommend them for someone maybe 18+ or for maybe a parent to read them to you. =)
Carolyn  C.
Mar 18, 2012 Carolyn C. rated it really liked it
I have such mixed feelings about this book. I started out loving this well written and researched Historical novel series. However this book and the one prior left me angry and disappointed. Both times I swore I was finished with the series…but then I still find myself drawn to the characters and their lives. Yeeeeesshh!! I’m giving this book a 4 star rating. It really is very well done…I just think the author should be a little kinder to the reader (me)…just sayin’ !!!
May 25, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
By far my least favorite of the series so far. I do not agree with the author's opinion that Jews and the chosen people of God to this day (due to the arrival of Jesus I believe this has changed permanently under the new covenant). But, I am happy to have read the next segment in the continuing saga and learned some new bits of the history of the period and perhaps how it's impacted what still goes on today.
Jeni Enjaian
These books are growing on me. With each book the Thoenes draw me further and further into the complex, intricate narrative. The looming doom of World War II adds so much dramatic tension to these books that the Thoenes couldn't possibly have created themselves. They add yet more characters while still giving the older characters enough scenes to keep their stories alive.
It's gotten to the point where I can't wait to read the next book in the series. Thankfully, I don't have to wait.
Margaret
May 03, 2014 Margaret rated it liked it
This book just felt so dark the whole way through. And the bad thing about that is that you know, given the period in history it covers, there's no getting better. There are small victories, but how can there ever be a happy ending for these characters? Once again, learning lots of things about this era that I didn't know, or had only heard hints of.
Jacob Mitchell
Sep 12, 2010 Jacob Mitchell rated it really liked it
I think this book took a little to long to get to the point in which it "grabs the reader." Unlike the first books in the series, it took me till the last two chapters to get to a point where i could not stop reading. Other than that, the content was, like the rest of the series, a brilliant blend of history and fiction into a scintillating, well thought out plot.
Bethany
Mar 21, 2016 Bethany rated it it was amazing
This is a great historical fiction book set in the WWII era. Thoene does an amazing job with describing historical events, while bringing a fictional story alive. I really felt connected to the characters and couldn't put the book down. I love the WWII time period, and I learned a lot from this book. I would definitely recommend this book to others.
JaNae
May 29, 2011 JaNae rated it it was ok
I had a tougher time getting through this one than the previous two. Part could have been that I had so many other things going on and part could have been the books itself. I didn't like it as well as #1 or 2. I'm kind of glad to be finished with it so I can move on to the next book. My cute husband said it was his least favorite of the series. So far I'd have to agree with him.
Charyla Olsen
Sep 18, 2011 Charyla Olsen rated it really liked it
If you are interested in understanding the role of the British Mandate in the development of the state of Israel, this book gives a great internal description of the workings. I never realized how deeply the Nazis were involved in helping the Arab world disrupt the Mandate. I can't put these books away! And I'm not even have done with the saga.
Jamie
Nov 12, 2012 Jamie rated it it was ok
I understand that a great amount of research goes into this series and it is a good premise for historical fiction, however I had a hard time making it through this book (2 months! this is long for me!). I had a hard time keeping track of what story was what in this book and who was who, some of the stories seemed like build ups for the future series.
Hanna-col
I am greatly enjoying this series. The first two books were probably my favorites, though I have enjoyed both books three, "Munich Signature", and four, "Jerusalem Interlude". About the only reason I gave this book a three star rating is because I didn't like how one of the plot threads ended. I will be reading book five, though, as soon as I can get my hands on a copy.
Lisa
Aug 23, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, I was very drawn into this series, and this installment was wonderful. It started to delve into more of the sad situations that were the precursers to WW II. I found myself wanting to shout at the characters to make different choices, as if that could change history. This one also dealt more with the things taking place in Jerusalem, and had some very tragic parts. Wonderful book!
Kw
Aug 20, 2014 Kw rated it really liked it
So many characters, so many stories, so much pain and sorrow and anguish and hatred and evil - and truth. Heartbreaking to read, as we know these things really happened - the bullying, murder, pogroms, imprisonment - but I would hate to have missed it. What a great way to learn details of European history and of WWII. So I'm on to Danzig Passage!
Wendy Roberts
Dec 15, 2007 Wendy Roberts rated it really liked it
One of the best in the series from a historical perspective...we get to find out what was happening in Jerusalem in the years prior to World War II. Hitler and the Nazis were very active in supporting the Arabs there in their fight against the British and the Jews. More tragedy...but that's inevitable.
  • Escape to Freedom (Secret of the Rose #3)
  • White Nights, Red Morning (The Russians, #6)
  • The Ramparts of Heaven
  • The Man from Shadow Ridge (Saga of the Sierras, #1)
  • His Watchful Eye
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E
More about Bodie Thoene...

Zion Covenant (9 books)
  • Vienna Prelude (Zion Covenant, #1)
  • Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant, #2)
  • Munich Signature (Zion Covenant, #3)
  • Danzig Passage (Zion Covenant, #5)
  • Warsaw Requiem (Zion Covenant, #6)
  • London Refrain (Zion Covenant, #7)
  • Paris Encore (Zion Covenant, #8)
  • Dunkirk Crescendo (Zion Covenant, #9)

“How hard it is for an old warrior not to want to fight the battle in his own strength,” he said. “The doors slam shut. And yet I must believe.” 0 likes