Start by marking “The Jerusalem Bible” as Want to Read:
The Jerusalem Bible

The Jerusalem Bible

4.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  225 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
When it comes to Bible translations, readability and reliability are what count; and on both counts, the original JERUSALEM BIBLE stands alone. A product of the age of the Second Vatican Council (1962-1965), THE JERUSALEM BIBLE (published in 1966) was the first truly modern Bible for Catholics. Using definitive original language texts such as the Dead Sea Scrolls, biblical ...more
Hardcover, Reader's Edition, 1696 pages
Published February 15th 2000 by Image (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Jerusalem Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jerusalem Bible

Benjamin
Jan 21, 2016 Benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The description given by Goodreads gives the context. Given that it is a Roman Catholic translation, it betrays that in a number of ways. For one example, there is the influence of the Vulgate, particularly in theological terminology. In the sacrificial sections, where most people would expect to see "burnt offering" (even the New American Bible, which is sort of the Roman Catholic equivalent of the RSV, uses "burnt offering") the JB uses "holocaust," which comes from Greek through Latin. There ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I read the entire Bible for 2 courses I took in college--Old Testament studies and New Testament studies. Having taken both Biblical Greek and Hebrew, I feel that this translation is one of the most accurate that exists, along with the Knox Bible.
Miriam
Jul 19, 2014 Miriam marked it as to-read
"The first truly modern Bible for Catholics."

Translators include... J.R.R. Tolkien? What?

Well, I know what translation of the Bible I'm reading next!
Bryn Hammond
Jan 19, 2016 Bryn Hammond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a scholarly bible, this is my go-to translation. I find the notes trustworthy -- informational, neutral, not commentary on the content; and the translation reads well (famous for Tolkien's input: only one book I'm afraid, Jonah. Still, his employment displays their commitment to style). I'm happy to work with this and the King James.
Forest
Apr 17, 2008 Forest is currently reading it
In my opinion, the best English translation of the Bible.
Erik Graff
Jun 16, 2015 Erik Graff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: Dennis Haas
Shelves: religion
This, the scholarly version of The Jerusalem Bible, the one with all the side- and footnotes, is the first translation of the bible I read from cover to cover. I did this while enrolled in Chaplain Dennis Haas' two-semester sequence on the Hebrew and Christian Scriptures at Grinnell College. Later, in the nineties, while at the Institute of Pastoral Studies at Loyola University Chicago, I purchased The New Jerusalem Bible, giving my older version away.

My method of studying the Judeo-Christian ca
carl
Mar 20, 2012 carl added it
(For my overall thoughts read my comments on the NIV bible.)

Be sure to get the original, not the more recently made printings, especially the 'New Jerusalem' bible. Primarily because I have found this particular translation to be fluid in its prose, graceful in its poetry, and as comprehensive as can be had in a one volume translation of the entire christian scriptures.

If I could have one bible translation, this would be it.
jimstoic
Sep 12, 2007 jimstoic rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ultimate-reality
This was the second Bible I read from cover to cover. (The first was the RSV.) It's a lively but not overly colloquial translation. Having the verse numbers in the margin makes it much easier to read.
Doug Mcquirter
Jan 31, 2012 Doug Mcquirter rated it it was amazing
If you want to read the Bible as literature, go with this fine translation.
Jessica Massler
Feb 22, 2008 Jessica Massler rated it it was amazing
The most inspiring book ever written!
Keith
Jan 19, 2016 Keith rated it really liked it
Shelves: partial-read
This is one of the rare Bibles to make the many sections of poetry into poetry on the page. The Book of Job and much of the prophets are poetry, and poetry plays a key role in the other books as well.

Barnstone’s The Restored New Testament does the same. (You can see my review of his book here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/....) As does Robert Alter’s various translations (my reviews are here http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... and here http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... and he
Rick
Dec 07, 2013 Rick rated it it was ok
This bible has many footnotes and annotations, which is nice. However, they do not go deep enough for my tastes and I can't shake the feeling that they are less than objective and far from complete.

The book itself appears to be a mish-mash of stories, which often conflict with each other. Themes presented are largely internally inconsistent. In some cases, stories appear to be directly borrowed from other cultures. As the story goes, I find it nearly impossible to believe that an omnipotent and
Cnikola
Jul 03, 2015 Cnikola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent version for every catholic, very inspiring.
Best book ever!!!
Bill
Sep 14, 2012 Bill rated it liked it
It interested me that J. R. R. Tolkien contributed both with advice and actual translation work on this version. He's credited with the book of Jonah, and with Job in some of the stories of it's making--he was even given the title of Editor in a few articles. He only admits to Jonah and giving of advice on the rest. Apparently he was consulted a great deal on Job however, and due to his humble words on the subject, we'll never know how much impact he truely had on the finished product. A good ch ...more
Mary Narkiewicz
Jan 01, 2016 Mary Narkiewicz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lifetime-reading
my favorite Bible translation..along with the King James
Lawrence Sterling III
Mar 26, 2015 Lawrence Sterling III rated it it was amazing
On June 21, 2013 I completed my goal of reading the Bible from cover to cover. I am a Baptist Christian and was brought up reading the King James version of the Bible. The King James version is very confusing because it is translated into Old English. The Jerusalem Bible had additional Books like Tobit, Maccabees and Wisdom. Reading and understanding it was a lot easier because the language was more contemporary.
Susan Keraus
Oct 08, 2012 Susan Keraus rated it it was amazing
First read this, when working with children, at Youth Club. Easy to understand text & a great "read it through'" Bible. It does have additional books not included in my other Bibles - interesting!

Lisa Radloff
Aug 10, 2012 Lisa Radloff rated it really liked it
This was my Grandmother's Bible I was able to obtain after she passed this year. WOW! It is not only a well edited version but the history she recorded in it as it is a 1966 edition.
Jaret
Apr 09, 2013 Jaret rated it it was amazing
Really beautiful translation. I loved the flow of the text, especially in the Psalms. Great footnotes too.
CD
One of several Christian Bibles I am going to add to the database that are in my library.
Dan Mac
May 20, 2015 Dan Mac rated it it was amazing
By Anonymous?? Please, Larry David did not write the Bible.
Msgrv Csicablenet
Read this one several years ago. It was easy to read.
Marcelle
Sep 02, 2012 Marcelle rated it it was amazing
Excellent transliteration from the Greek and Hebrew texts.
rachel
Aug 18, 2009 rachel rated it it was amazing
Really good. One of the best books I've ever read, easy.
Covenant Presbyterian Springfield Ohio
Call Number: 220.5 JB

Available.
Arthur Sumual
it's the bible, what else can I say? :)
Maria Brackett
Jan 31, 2013 Maria Brackett rated it it was amazing
GREAT!!!
Joseph Nolla
Joseph Nolla rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Pinkyivan
Pinkyivan is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2016
Dj
Dj marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
  • The New Testament in Modern English
  • The Philokalia, Volume 4: The Complete Text; Compiled by St. Nikodimos of the Holy Mountain & St. Markarios of Corinth
  • Tanach: The Torah, Prophets, Writings -- The Twenty-Four Books of the Bible, Newly Translated and Annotated (The ArtScroll Series)
  • The Triads (Classics of Western Spirituality Series)
  • The Divine Heart of God the Father
  • The Message: The New Testament in Contemporary Language
  • The Divine Milieu
  • Gift and Mystery: On the fifteth anniversary of my priestly ordination
  • Jewish Antiquities
  • The Atlas of Mysterious Places: The World's Unexplained Sacred Sites, Symbolic Landscapes, Ancient Cities, and Lost Lands
  • Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics: An Exegetical Syntax of the New Testament
  • The First Epistle to the Corinthians
  • Proverbs: An Introduction & Commentary
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...