Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Good, the Bad and the Alien/System Wipe” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Good, the Bad and the Alien/System Wipe

Doctor Who: The Good, the Bad and the Alien/System Wipe (Doctor Who: 2 New Adventures #2)

The Good, the Bad, and the Alien:
Aliens have crash-landed in the Wild West and they’re ready for a showdown. Can the Doctor, Rory and Amy work out which are the good guys and which are the bad?

System Wipe:
The Doctor finds himself trapped in a virtual world. As he tries to save the characters of the virtual world from being destroyed by a deadly virus, Amy and Rory must fig
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Jul 01, 2012 M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who
Very poorly written (obviously, since they're for kids), but still some pretty good stories. The Good, the Bad, and the Alien takes Western cliches to a whole new level, but it was still an amusing read. The tidbit about the Doctor being able to recover quickly from being knocked out was cool.
System Wipe was decent if you are a gamer, but I've never liked video games. However, as an Oklahoman, I laughed out loud when they found a hole in reality in Oklahoma. So true.
If you love the Doctor and
May 21, 2011 Oliver rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, I read The Good, The Bad and the Alien first, so let's start there.

The story is pretty standard wild west fare in a lot of ways. Robbery, double crossing outlaws, all with a few added sci fi twists.

The good. The story trots along at a decent pace. Characterisation is decent.

The bad. There's no subtlety to the plot. Yes, I appreciate it's written for kids, but things written for kids can definitely be written better.

The... you didn't really think I was going to have The Alien here, did you?
Nov 18, 2011 Mark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who, 2011
The Good, The Bad and The Alien

Not the best Doctor Who novel ever written, but at under 200 pages and as part of a 2in1 book I didn't really expect a literary classic. But it was still an enjoyable quick read that didn't require any indepth thought from the reader so a nice simple easy going book. Yes the plot and throwaway characters were pretty basic but it is a book aimed at a younger audience so I didn't really expect too many character layers. The Doctor, Rory and Amy characters were pretty
Nicholas Whyte

Two short (200-page, large print) Doctor Who novels packaged together as a double. Colin Brake's The Good, the Bad and the Alien is written rather more for the younger end of the market, and is the same aliens in the Wild West type story that has been done several times over in recent years (including in the Eleventh Doctor audio The Runaway Train). I wondered if Amy would have been old enough to catch Deputy Dawg on TV - was it still being shown in the 19
Mikael Kuoppala
Dec 30, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These two novellas about the eleventh Doctor, Amy and Rory lean on sci-fi intrigue and fascinating concepts. “The Good, the Bad and the Alien” is the less accomplished of the two; Colin Brake offers a rather standard if well written and skillfully paced story about aliens in the old wild west.

Oli Smith’s “System Wipe” is the more innovative of the novellas, raising the collection clearly above average. The destruction of civilization, virtual reality and questions of identity and existence come
Britts Tyler
Britts Tyler rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2012
Jul 09, 2012 Inah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"System Wipe" was really good while the other story, "The Good, the Bad, and the Alien" was horrible. It was extremely uncomfortable to read because of Rory and Amy's dynamic in the book. Rory kept describing/referring to Amy as his "beautiful wife" or any other variation of that, which is frankly, totally unnecessary and objectifies Amy. On the other hand, Amy kept referring to Rory as her "husband" and she sounds like she worships him every time she talks about him. I didn't want to finish it ...more
Adam John
Adam John rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2012
Jill Gillett
Good stories, interesting characters. Definitely aimed at younger readers, but certainly had me giggling once or twice.. I admit it, I'm a big kid at heart. The darker side of both these tales was definitely underplayed, though.
Ifigeneia K
Ifigeneia K rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Clare Kennett
Clare Kennett rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2013
I got a copy of system wipe free with the kids Doctor Who magazine. When you get a book free with a kids magazine you don't expect that much but I found that I did quite enjoy this one. I read it through in one go in the middle of the night when I had insomnia. The story was kinda a virtual world version of the nothing. I think I liked it so much cause it was a bit post-apocalyptic. The world had ended and humans had all disappeared (which was never explained which I kinda liked) and there were ...more
Kelly Wilson
Freebie in Dr Who Adventures magazine. Reading it for the kids at bedtimes...

Not the best but a quick one to read for the little'uns
Hassan rated it liked it
May 02, 2013
Ashley Kalandur
May 12, 2013 Ashley Kalandur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Good, the Bad, and the Alien: Best Who Story I read so far. The Doctor was hilarious, Amy and Rory brilliant and the story like it could been on screen. 5 Stars!

System Whipe: I had my difficulties to dive into the storyline and the end was a bit fast. I missed the doctors humour... But it was a good (not one of the best) story at the end.
James Parry
James Parry rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Shaun rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2013
Chicken  Moustach
Chicken Moustach rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2014
Nancy Duncan
Nancy Duncan rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2014
Hanna rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Scott Ryalls
Scott Ryalls rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Rachel Redhead
Rachel Redhead rated it it was ok
Mar 22, 2015
Victoria Mitchell
Victoria Mitchell rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Rebel. rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Nov 18, 2015 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent quick read, System Wipe the better of the two stories
wendy gisborne
wendy gisborne rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
Michael Kelly
May 05, 2016 Michael Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 4 star review is apportioned as 5 stars to System Wipe, and 3 stars to The Good, The Bad and The Alien.

System Wipe is a tale I found extremely atmospheric and eerie, set in a remote farmhouse and later in a research centre, with a real sense of menace and being under siege. The creatures, made of moon rock, and the threat they carry, came across as very original and threatening. Definite 5 star material.

The Good, The Bad and The Alien was much less original, however. A Doctor Who Western sou
Two fairly fun if not particularly amazing two ... well, novella-length stories, I suppose, since I doubt either of them was long enough to be a novel.

I'm not sure really I can say much more. Characterisation seemed largely okay, the pace fine, both stories had plots and just a pinch of danger; The Good, The Bad and the Alien in particular felt like the sort of story that would have worked just fine on screen, too (although as westerns with the Eleven, Amy and Rory TARDIS team go, A Town Called
Nathalie rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

Doctor Who: 2 New Adventures (6 books)
  • Doctor Who: Heart of Stone / Death Riders