Start by marking “The Barber Who Wanted To Pray” as Want to Read:
The Barber Who Wanted To Pray

The Barber Who Wanted To Pray

This imaginative tale, based on a true story, begins one evening with Mr. McFarland leading family devotions. When his daughter asks him how she should pray, Mr. McFarland shares a 500-year-old story--a story about a barber and his famous customer.

Master Peter is a barber well known to all in his village. One day, when Martin Luther the Reformer walks into his shop, the ba
Published September 16th 2011 by Crossway Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Barber Who Wanted To Pray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Barber Who Wanted To Pray

Jeremy
Sproul's gift is not in creative children's stories, but his children's books are still useful in that they point out a good lesson. Plus, the illustrators are usually top notch.

This book on prayer uses 3 things as guides: The Lord's Prayer, the 10 Commandments, and the Apostle's Creed. See Keller's book on Prayer for much more detail.

Read again on Sept. 15, 2014, and June 10, 2016.
Leah
May 03, 2016 Leah rated it it was amazing
Really how could anything with my favorite reformer in it get less than 5 stars?!
Wayne S.
Nov 26, 2011 Wayne S. rated it it was amazing
Is praying something that just comes naturally, or can we be taught how to pray? Jesus’s disciples asked Him, “Lord, teach us to pray” (Luke 11:1). And He did. Mr. and Mrs. McFarland have six children, two boys and four girls named Donovan, Reilly, Maili, Erin Claire, Delaney, and Shannon. Every evening, Mr. McFarland reads a portion of Scripture, gives a short explanation of it, has each of the children recite memory verses from the Bible, asks some questions, and then leads the family in pray ...more
Melanie
Sep 27, 2011 Melanie rated it really liked it
I am a huge R.C. Sproul fan. He has written a handful of children’s books that I simply adore (including the Lightlings and the King without a Shadow) so when I heard that he was having a new book published, I actually emailed the publishing house and begged them to send me a review copy of this book- to which they wonderfully agreed. I have to say that I am a little disappointed in the storyline of The Barber Who Wanted to Pray.

Like many of Dr. Sproul’s books, this one is a story within a stor
Kara
Some of you may be familiar with the story behind Martin Luther's little book A Simple Way to Pray. He wrote it in response to his barber's request for advice on how to pray. In The Barber Who Wanted to Pray, R.C. Sproul has taken this true story and turned it into a beautifully done children's book.

The story begins with a child asking her father to teach her how to pray. In response, he tells the story of Martin Luther and his barber and outlines the basics of Dr. Luther's simple method for pra
Aaron
Nov 07, 2011 Aaron rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My full review is available at Blogging Theologically:

“Daddy, can you teach me how to pray?” My daughter’s asked me this question on at least one occasion, and every time it’s a bit awkward for me. I’m not an expert in prayer by any stretch (in fact, I think I rather stink at it). And while I know that God is not impressed with the eloquence of our prayers and I have reminded her of this, nevertheless, I’d love to be able to help her learn to pray more deeply.

Thankfully, I’m not the only one. Th
Gail Welborn
Nov 12, 2011 Gail Welborn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Exceptional!! Outstanding! Don't miss this one!

The Barber Who Wanted To Pray, by R.C. Sproul, Paintings by T. Lively Fluharty, Hardcover, Crossway Books, 2011, Ages 4-8, 40 Pages, ISBN-13: 978-1433527036, $17.99

“Daddy, can you teach me how to pray…” asks McFarland’s young daughter, Delaney during family devotions. She wanted to learn how to pray more than the ritual nighttime prayer of “Now I lay me down to sleep.”

Thus begins Sproul’s children’s story on prayer wrapped inside a true story of a
James
James rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2013
Kitty
Kitty rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Bobbi
Bobbi rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Laramie Gildon
Laramie Gildon rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Honza Pokorny
Honza Pokorny rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Cathy Coco
Cathy Coco rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2014
Mjstrand
Mjstrand rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2014
Isabel
Isabel rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2015
Roy
Roy rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Dodson Kids
Dodson Kids rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Debbie Brandenburg
Debbie Brandenburg rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2014
Lacey
Lacey rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2013
Nathaniel Marsh
Nathaniel Marsh rated it it was ok
May 08, 2016
Candy
Candy rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2013
Joey
Joey rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2011
Marry
Marry rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Steve Rouhotas Jr
Steve Rouhotas Jr rated it really liked it
May 25, 2015
Jack
Jack rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Chad Smith
Chad Smith rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Erika
Erika rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2015
Daniel Henderson
Daniel Henderson rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dr. R.C. Sproul was born in 1939 in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. He is president of Ligonier Academy of Biblical and Theological Studies and the founder and chairman of the ministry that began in 1971 as the Ligonier Valley Study Center in Ligonier, Pennsylvania. In an effort to respond more effectively to the growing demand for Dr. Sproul’s teachings and the ministry’s other educational resources, th ...more
More about R.C. Sproul...