Start by marking “The Priest with Dirty Clothes” as Want to Read:
The Priest with Dirty Clothes

The Priest with Dirty Clothes

4.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  159 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
In this new edition of his classic story, The Priest with Dirty Clothes, Dr. R.C. Sproul continues his project of illustrating theological concepts for children. In this book, he teaches the concept of imputation, which lies at the heart of the important biblical doctrine of justification.

Using the story of Joshua the high priest (Zechariah 3:1–5) as his jumping-off point,
Published February 10th 2011 by Reformation Trust Publishing (first published September 4th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Priest with Dirty Clothes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Priest with Dirty Clothes

Heather
Jul 01, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I read this to three boys ages 9-13, probably a little older than the target age. They followed it and enacted with it well, though I don't think they were crazy about it. What I most appreciated was that it got them thinking. I told them up front that it was an allegory so they would stop me and tell the meaning behind the story. They seemed pleased that they had figured it out and I was pleased that they were thinking and that they could catch the parallels. However, I was puzzled by a couple ...more
Leah
May 21, 2016 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. This was a simple level of teaching the truth of Christ's righteousness imputed to us. I read it to my 2 1/2 year old and he listened intently the few nights I read it. But I had the opportunity to read this to my friends daughter who is about 6, and the discussion questions in the back were fantastic! It really fostered great back and forth questions and answers.

Truly every book of RC Sproul I've read thus far have not disappointed. I am grateful to have such biblically sound
Travis
Jan 02, 2016 Travis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It is always a joy to come across a book that helps to explain the gospel in a way that children can grasp. This is especially nice when the telling of the story brings to light important and often-neglected aspects of the good news. The Prince with Dirty Clothes is one such book.

This little book by R.C. Sproul presents the picture of Christ’s imputed righteousness for the believer. Paralleling the scene in Zechariah 3, Sproul tells the story of a priest whose clothes were too filthy for him
Faith
Jan 08, 2013 Faith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The priest with Dirty Clothes was written by R. C. Sproul and illustrated by Justin Gerard. The two combine their talents very well in this book- I was very glad to receive a copy of this book free from Ligonier.
When little Darby and Campbell play in the mud and get themselves covered, Grandpa has a story to tell them. There once was a young priest who was on his way to preach his first sermon before the King. This young priest is wearing his new, clean clothes, and the roads are very muddy, an
Nickida Stephens
Mar 05, 2013 Nickida Stephens rated it it was amazing
As a parent I think it’s very important to teach your children how to treat people well. I really loved this book because it retold a well know bible story in a way for kids to understand and learn from it. The story is about the priest who had to do a sermon in front of the king. On his way to the castle he fell in a puddle of mud and got dirty. He felt horrible about his clothes and tried to clean him self up. When he couldn’t get clean he still went to the castle to preach his sermon. When he ...more
Ms.Kim
Apr 18, 2016 Ms.Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another allegory by Sproul, and my review is pretty similar. He uses the story within a story framework again, and while the story is a fine and appropriate one, communicating one of the hardest spiritual concepts, it's not too far off the original!
Beth
I previewed this book to read to my children. My only complaint is that I didn't like that the priest got dirty by accident through no fault of his own. I don't think children will realize that is not true in relation to sin.
Ryan
Dec 27, 2014 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Great story to teach about God's great love for us, and the imputed righteousness of Christ. The children loved the story too!
Emily Cook
Nov 22, 2014 Emily Cook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Nice illustration of wearing Christ's righteousness for kids!
Jeremy
One of Sproul's better children's books.
Abigail West
May 09, 2016 Abigail West rated it it was amazing
I love this book!!!
Hannah
Obviously, the story misses out on a lot of aspects of God's love and forgiveness, and the change that was made when Jesus took our sins, but the allegory is well done for what it is. I appreciate teh picture of exchanged clothes, for our exchanged records.
Tom Brainerd
Jul 18, 2012 Tom Brainerd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This may be the best children's book I have ever read. From time to time I'll gather the kids at church or at our home around me and read it. I have not been able to read it once without tears welling up in my eyes.
Kristie
Dec 12, 2013 Kristie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite children's books of all time! I cried when I read it the first time, and still get teary when I think about it's message of imputation and how beautifully this story is told for children.
Billy Schiel
Mar 16, 2011 Billy Schiel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has blessed my children immensely!
Danette
May 03, 2012 Becky Pliego rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Love it.
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Kevin De
Kevin De marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Calvinist Batman
Calvinist Batman rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Leanne Howard
Leanne Howard rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Jenn Hornoi
Jenn Hornoi rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Noel
Noel rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Matthew  Anders
Matthew Anders marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Corby H
Corby H rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2016
Emily Donovan
Emily Donovan rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Benjamin Fleming
Benjamin Fleming marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress
  • The Divine Dance: If the World Is Your Stage, Who Are You Performing For?
  • Wise Words
  • Spurgeon's Sermons Vol. 1-10 (5 double volumes)
  • Lindbergh: The Tale of a Flying Mouse
  • Heaven for Kids
  • The Journals of Rachel Scott: A Journey of Faith at Columbine High
  • The Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings Us Back to the Garden
  • From the Secret Place in My Heart
  • Sir Cumference and All the King's Tens
  • The Society (Forbidden Doors, #1)
  • Chicken Soup for the Christian Teenage Soul: Stories to Open the Hearts of Christian Teens (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • God of Promise: Introducing Covenant Theology
  • Jonathan Edwards Lover of God
  • Taken  (Left Behind: The Kids, #1-4)
  • The Children's Illustrated Bible
  • The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name
  • Changed Into His Image
Dr. R.C. Sproul was born in 1939 in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. He is president of Ligonier Academy of Biblical and Theological Studies and the founder and chairman of the ministry that began in 1971 as the Ligonier Valley Study Center in Ligonier, Pennsylvania. In an effort to respond more effectively to the growing demand for Dr. Sproul’s teachings and the ministry’s other educational resources, th ...more
More about R.C. Sproul...